Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Dishonored

Manco's Avatar Dux Limitis

Default Re: Dishonored

Lol, I spent over 3 hours on the first mission.
    Too much fun to just blink to every nook and cranny.
    Some day I'll actually write all the reviews I keep promising...

I wish we can drag bodies around like we can in Skyrim. It's always fun to set up elaborate death scenes rather than simply picking up a body and just throwing it somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by vinh834 View Post
    I wish we can drag bodies around like we can in Skyrim. It's always fun to set up elaborate death scenes rather than simply picking up a body and just throwing it somewhere.
    Well AC use the same type of body movement, if you like dragging body's you can play Skyrim or in a month play Hitman
    TIME TO DIE!!!! Proud Son of Viking Prince

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Assassin View Post
    So 12 to 14 hours seem to be the average, not bad but not good either unless the replay value is high.
    Am I the only one that finds this shocking? For sixty dollars you get a 12 hour game?

Even with three playthroughs, you'd still be at less than forty hours. I consider 50 hours the minimum for a successful purchase.

Oh well maybe folks will get there with DLC

If that's your minimum you must've played 2 games in the last decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Manco View Post

Lol good one Manco, but I think he exagerated it a bit but for me a good SP only game should be around 25 hours for one playthough.
    TIME TO DIE!!!! Proud Son of Viking Prince

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

OK, now I've played like 3 hours and I'm in the middle of the second "real" quest, not counting the intro. I'm pretty mad for buying this though, for two main reasons, which I'll write about now. If you haven't played the first missions yet, STOP READING NOW

1. The graphics. I mean really, the hands are three times too big and most human bodies looks like they are directly taken from TF 2. Most of the skins/2d is very lacking too, especially after a year of looking at supreme modding-work here at TWC. I think it's odd that Bethesda made Skyrim look as good as it actually did, while spending so little time on Dishonored. I'm also very disappointed in the moves the characters does when speaking...that weirdo way to move the hands, or drink.

2. The storyline is very lacking. You're a bodyguard, empress dies and suddenly it's six months later and you're in prison. Why would the Lord Regent just tell you he killed the empress? I mean, the damn guard hasn't even properly left the room yet and he goes on like some bad movie-baddy. OK, you get free and meet the Loyalists, but who in their right mind would just trust blindly in these people you meet in a pub. They tell you you're on the same team, with the same goals, but what if they seek the power of the city for themselves? What if they just want you to take the blame for their own little revolution, or even do the Lord Regent's dirty work? Meh
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

I'm not exaggerating. I don't buy a dozens of games every year, i buy about 7 or so. For one of those purchases to be successful at full price imo, you should get at least 40-50 hours with it.

Just in the last four years for SP focused games:

Mount and Blade >100
    Skyrim >200
    ETW, NTW, S2 all >200
    Civ IV >200
    Civ V >100
    EU 3 > 100
    Witcher 2 ~ 50
    Stalker Cop > 50
    Stalker CS >100
    ME ~ 50
    Far Cry 2 > 50
    Last edited by Huberto; October 12, 2012 at 07:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Carrot View Post
    OK, now I've played like 3 hours and I'm in the middle of the second "real" quest, not counting the intro. I'm pretty mad for buying this though, for two main reasons, which I'll write about now. If you haven't played the first missions yet, STOP READING NOW

1. The graphics. I mean really, the hands are three times too big and most human bodies looks like they are directly taken from TF 2. Most of the skins/2d is very lacking too, especially after a year of looking at supreme modding-work here at TWC. I think it's odd that Bethesda made Skyrim look as good as it actually did, while spending so little time on Dishonored. I'm also very disappointed in the moves the characters does when speaking...that weirdo way to move the hands, or drink.
    It's not developed by Bethesda, but Arkane Studios.
    Bad textures are bad graphics, but euh you're mostly complaining about art style. Something which was widely advertised and present in every trailer, and pretty much your own fault for not noticing before buying.
    Personally I love the style.

2. The storyline is very lacking. You're a bodyguard, empress dies and suddenly it's six months later and you're in prison. Why would the Lord Regent just tell you he killed the empress? I mean, the damn guard hasn't even properly left the room yet and he goes on like some bad movie-baddy. OK, you get free and meet the Loyalists, but who in their right mind would just trust blindly in these people you meet in a pub. They tell you you're on the same team, with the same goals, but what if they seek the power of the city for themselves? What if they just want you to take the blame for their own little revolution, or even do the Lord Regent's dirty work? Meh
    Haven't finished it, but am a whole lot further and I can say that your issues actually are being addressed. In fact you should already have the Heart which would have already told you most of your co-conspirators aren't squeaky clean.
    As for Corvo cooperating, he can either not help them and try and survive under the rule of a corrupt regime who killed his empress
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    and the woman he apparently loved
    and is gunning for him, trying to exact vengeance without support. Or he could join these guys who've already proven to have resources and contacts, and whose aims are at least the same for the time being. If they turn out to be frauds or just as bad, he can still deal with them later

Quote Originally Posted by Huberto View Post
    I'm not exaggerating. I don't buy a dozens of games every year, i buy about 7 or so. For one of those purchases to be successful at full price imo, you should get at least 40-50 hours with it.

Just in the last four years for SP focused games:

Mount and Blade >100
    Skyrim >200
    ETW, NTW, S2 all >200
    Civ IV >200
    Civ V >100
    EU 3 > 100
    Witcher 2 ~ 50
    Stalker Cop > 50
    Stalker CS >100
    ME ~ 50
    Far Cry 2 > 50
    Talk about apples and oranges.
    You're comparing full time played with length of a single run.
    Not too mention you're also comparing open-ended strategy games and open-world games with a quasi-linear plot based game, both of which rely on a seriously hefty dose of repetition, if not grind. Take Skyrim, after 2 hours you've experienced everything there is to experience, the next 100h will simply be doing it again, and again, and again.
    If those are some of your favourite gales btw, chances are Dishonored simply isn't even your genre.

Not that 14h isn't fairly short, mind you, but it has pretty much been the standard length for the genre for the better part of a decade now.
    Last edited by Manco; October 12, 2012 at 08:06 PM.

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

50 hours on Far Cry 2?

Sounds like a nightmare.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Talk about apples and oranges.
    You're comparing full time played with length of a single run.
    Not too mention you're also comparing open-ended strategy games and open-world games with a quasi-linear plot based game, both of which rely on a seriously hefty dose of repetition, if not grind. Take Skyrim, after 2 hours you've experienced everything there is to experience, the next 100h will simply be doing it again, and again, and again.
    If those are some of your favourite gales btw, chances are Dishonored simply isn't even your genre.

Not that 14h isn't fairly short, mind you, but it has pretty much been the standard length for the genre for the better part of a decade now.
    Wow we must be talking about a very special genre? 12-14 hours is ridiculously short for a $60 game. Yes, any $60 game.

And I'm not comparing apples to oranges. As I said at the outset three full run throughs of Dishonored would be less than forty hours.

A stealth action adventure game? RPG, FPS? All of the above? Steampunk? Isn't that a setting?

Anyway there are plenty of games with linear story-driven elements and they take longer than 12-14 hours. Witcher, Metro 2033 which I'm playing right now, they all take longer.

And none of them -- long as they are -- should cost $60. Granted they don't have susan sarandon and carrie fisher doing voice overs.

I noticed this comment while searching for info on this game:

Now that the game is out. I have to say I like it. But it is too short. I’ve had work all week, I get regular sleep, I’ve read the books when I see them, go after all items I can find, explore every room, and have had to explore a couple areas over and over until I could find codes to unlock a couple safes. Side quests, eh, there are a few. I’m nearly done and I imagine tomorrow after work or at the latest by sunday I will have finished my first play through.
    This is too short. I’m trying to not kill whenever possible but sometimes it just seems too tedious to reload and try again when I want to get to where I’m trying to go. I finish most missions with a half and half ratio of kills to not killing. This has some awesome gameplay but, damnit this game is just too short. I payed $60 for a weeks worth of gaming.
    The game is linear, despite what anyone says, which is fine. But it progresses similar to the witcher. Large mission stages with side missions. Only much, much shorter, and less side missions.. Though the freestyle gameplay is extremely refreshing, i just wish I had more to do with it. I really do..
    Also the notion that Skyrim shows you everything in 2 hours; well I must be real dumb then I missed a lot. My first Elder Scrolls of course...I'm still learning spells enchantements etc. at 200 hours. Still haven't actually finished the game.

Quote Originally Posted by the_mango55 View Post
    50 hours on Far Cry 2?

Sounds like a nightmare.
    And you sound like you never used stealth or learned how to take the bus to get from one part of the map to another.
    Last edited by Huberto; October 12, 2012 at 10:14 PM.

Wow we must be talking about a very special genre? 12-14 hours is ridiculously short for a $60 game. Yes, any $60 game.
    No, we're talking FPS. The same genre as Bioshock (2), Metro, FEAR,.... all of which took less than 20h for a single run

And I'm not comparing apples to oranges. As I said at the outset three full run throughs of Dishonored would be less than forty hours.
    And 3 runs of HL2, probably the most lauded modern FPS, will take you about the same time.

A stealth action adventure game? RPG, FPS? All of the above? Steampunk? Isn't that a setting?
    Are you really going to tell me that for example STALKER and Dishonored are pretty much the same? The entire atmosphere and purpose of the game is different.

Anyway there are plenty of games with linear story-driven elements and they take longer than 12-14 hours. Witcher, Metro 2033 which I'm playing right now, they all take longer.
    Metro sure as hell doesn't take more than 20h to complete, anyone with a bit of experience can finish it in less than 15h.

The Witcher is an RPG, built completely different. RPG's don't need to create what are essentially obstacle courses. They provide a map and then fill it with content, and apparently (as this has been the case since the genre's appearance) this allows for a much larger amount of content

And none of them -- long as they are -- should cost $60. Granted they don't have susan sarandon and carrie fisher doing voice overs.
    Games are still cheaper per hour than films or a night at the pub

Also the notion that Skyrim shows you everything in 2 hours; well I must be real dumb then I missed a lot. My first Elder Scrolls of course...I'm still learning spells enchantements etc. at 200 hours. Still haven't actually finished the game.
    Every spell functions pretty much exactly the same. Seriously, I love TES, but the game itself is a grind.

And you sound like you never used stealth or learned how to take the bus to get from one part of the map to another.
    Apparently you never have, since stealth in FC2 is literally a broken mechanic and impossible to do.

No, we're talking FPS. The same genre as Bioshock (2), Metro, FEAR,.... all of which took less than 20h for a single run.
    Are you saying, less than 20 hours or longer than the 12-14 hours it takes to finish Dishonored, which costs $60? I am laughing reading all these critics defending Dishonored by saying, if you play it right, do everything and do everything slowly you can squeeze 22 hours out of it. Well all I am saying is that's OK but not OK at $60. Who wants pay top dollar for a game that might very well feel too short?

Actually I am saying more than that. I am saying that a game like Dishonored that is elaborately detailed and cool-sounding should take longer than 12/14 hours to play through.

Are you really going to tell me that for example STALKER and Dishonored are pretty much the same? The entire atmosphere and purpose of the game is different..
    Not sure what the point is of limiting Dishonored to nine missions...they got tired, ran out of money? Any more missions would have been superfluous and ruined immersion?

Metro sure as hell doesn't take more than 20h to complete, anyone with a bit of experience can finish it in less than 15h..
    Point taken but if Metro cost $60 it definitely would be a rip off. I'm not finished with it and I'm definitely past 12 hours!

Games are still cheaper per hour than films or a night at the pub.
    Talk about apples to oranges.

Every spell functions pretty much exactly the same. Seriously, I love TES, but the game itself is a grind.
    Not sure what you mean, conjuration spells conjure, destruction detroys, healing heals, etc. Anyway yes sure Skyrim can be a grind when you sit down and try to play through in a single session. It's a game though that "hangs around" and I love games like that. Who doesn't?

Apparently you never have, since stealth in FC2 is literally a broken mechanic and impossible to do.
    You crouch and you sneak around roadblocks, instead of gunning through them, etc. Works without fail if you are cautious. The stealth weapons and armor in the gam aren't "literally broken." Yes they're not optimal. But they "work," meaning they are useful in preventing detection.

Don't believe me? Take a look: http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1837797

Anyway I've got to head out for the rest of the weekend. Have fun gaming!
    Last edited by Huberto; October 13, 2012 at 06:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Cahoma View Post
    I'm still finding the combat system a bit difficult. Using Ctrl to block with just doesn't feel right. It's difficult to fight(in a good way) and if 4 or more are attacking you, you're gonna have a real hard time(unlike Assasin's Creed for instance) killing them unless you go all out on your equipment. I've been trying to go for a less murderous route but it didn't go so well at the start. I'm getting the hang of it though.

Buy, so far.
    I'm going for stealth as well, but failed completely at the start and had to kill quite a few people - especially in that brewery I went to. I do seem to be constantly low on health and mana as well and I agree that ctrl for block feels a bit wierd. I did get a low chaos rating on the last mission though, so I suppose I must be doing something right.

Cahoma's Avatar Tribunus
    Sooooomewheeeeere ooover the raaaaainboooow

I've gotten a high chaos rating every damn time and I always try to be stealthy and not kill everyone..
    Last edited by Cahoma; October 13, 2012 at 08:00 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    ... Cahoma himself is racist ...

I'm not trying to defend Dishonored here btw, just stating that your issues isn't Dishonored's fault, but has become standard fare for the genre.
    Are you saying, less than 20 hours or longer than the 12-14 hours it takes to finish Dishonored, which costs $60? I am laughing reading all these critics defending Dishonored by saying, if you play it right, do everything and do everything slowly you can squeeze 22 hours out of it. Well all I am saying is that's OK but not OK at $60. Who wants pay top dollar for a game that might very well feel too short?
    Anyway, all those examples I listed, I finished in less than 15h while being a fairly slow, completionist but experienced player. I mentioned the 20h to give a bit of leeway depending on experience, focus, etc.

Actually I am saying more than that. I am saying that a game like Dishonored that is elaborately detailed and cool-sounding should take longer than 12/14 hours to play through.
    And all the detail, coolness, density of the gameplay are some of the major reasons these games are so short.
    You have to be realistic here. Games are expensive things to make with fairly uncertain revenues. All the time they spent on one aspect is time they didn't have for something else.
    Dishonored put its time in the powers and the density of the levels, and based it around a plot-driven mission structure. Stalker to take an example might have given you much more playtime and a sort of sand-box environment, but meant also no notable NPC interaction or design, all weapons being simply point and shoot, a barely functional way of delivering the plot,...

Not sure what the point is of limiting Dishonored to nine missions...they got tired, ran out of money? Any more missions would have been superfluous and ruined immersion?
    It's called a budget. You want a 50h FPS with multiple endings and non-linear missions, combined with state-of-the-art graphics, a superb plot,... then be ready to dish out the kind of budget only the giants like EA, Activision and Ubisoft can make. And then you'll have to insure them, since they're all pretty stingy on the money, that they'll actually make a profit.
    Point taken but if Metro cost $60 it definitely would be a rip off. I'm not finished with it and I'm definitely past 12 hours!
    It did cost 60$, and I certainly didn't get 15h out of it.

Talk about apples to oranges.
    I was comparing the hours of entertainment to cost. Not comparing the actual media.

Not sure what you mean, conjuration spells conjure, destruction detroys, healing heals, etc. Anyway yes sure Skyrim can be a grind when you sit down and try to play through in a single session. It's a game though that "hangs around" and I love games like that. Who doesn't?
    It's also a game with broken progression, a lacklustre combat-system, a of generic quests, an uninspired plot,.... you don't feel it's repetitive because you're a fan of this kind of game. But it IS repetititve.

You crouch and you sneak around roadblocks, instead of gunning through them, etc. Works without fail if you are cautious. The stealth weapons and armor in the gam aren't "literally broken." Yes they're not optimal. But they "work," meaning they are useful in preventing detection.

Don't believe me? Take a look: http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1837797
    Actually that guy is full of . He's supposedly debunking the cheating AI, yet all his videos are showing countless examples of it. It's rather he doesn't understand what people mean when they say stealth doesn't work in FC2.

Anyway I've got to head out for the rest of the weekend. Have fun gaming![/QUOTE]

blank's Avatar Campidoctor

Just completed the 1st real mission, goal was not to kill anybody. At the stats page... 1 guy killed apparently. Argh. Not sure how i did that (only using sleep darts and strangeholds) but yeah

Otherwise, good game. Playing on the hardest setting it's quite fun
    My pony jumps ever so high

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

Very good game. I completed it in two days, and it was very short, but Im still going back and playing it in different ways, just to see what I can do.

First play thought I managed to mostly be a good guy, not killing unless I had to.

The heart is the coolest thing in the game, hands down. It's depressing and unnerving, and I find it actually makes the plot deeper when you listen to it's whispered secrets.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

It's getting rave reviews, with some explicitly mentioning the gameplay was non-buggy.
    Take from that what you will.
    A game that isn't buggy on release? If new games weren't so damn expensive (especially in Australia, it's 33% more than in the US ), I'd get it just to support a developer who has the decency to release a working product. I'll probably get it later, I like what I'm hearing about it.

Musthavename's Avatar Bunneh Ressurection
    Somewhere in the room you're currently in.

Alright. Finished this game in 12-13 hours (all I can gather from Steam's 12 hour estimate). That's shorter than I'd hoped it'd be but not enough that I'd complain about it, especially since there's a second playthrough in it. I'll put my thoughts in spoilers because it does go into the story a fair bit...

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I did very much enjoy the game, but I don't think it's the instant 'GotY' that many critics are saying. It's good, but it's not that good and far from perfect.

First thing's first. Graphics. It certainly doesn't shine there. Fair enough, but it's really far behind the curve. It doesn't look that much better than Half Life 2 did with the exception of faces in particular being more detailed. Speaking of which, the atmosphere felt a lot like HL2, especially the tallboys. Just seemed like something the overwatch would've done. That said, the atmosphere is good and the setting is certainly unique, so I'm willing to forgive the graphics. Game was also generally pretty stable and I only ran into one issue where whilst doing a swimming section I managed to swim outside the map.

The stealth mechanics are good though and it's a lot of fun. I'm not someone who generally enjoys stealth games but after the first couple of missions I found myself naturally ignoring troops rather than figuring out how to kill every man in the area without notifying them. All the powers are also really nice ideas. Everything about the missions aspect and the alternate methods of dealing with targets in a non-lethal fashion is great. There's also just those moments that stand out. From seeing those two guys in the first mission get eaten by a swarm of rats to assassinating a tallboy before stabbing the defenceless spymaster right in his face.

That brings me onto the story. Whilst there is choice in each mission, was I the only one that felt like my decisions weren't having many reprecussions? Maybe I'll see what actually happened because I was such a killer when I play through it again, but from everything everyone was saying I thought I'd see a lot more impact. The linear, cliche plot doesn't help either. The linearity I can understand from a development point of view, but the game would've been so much improved if I'd had some 'big decisions' I could make. It didn't help either that I was predicting the loyalists would betray me before I'd even met them. Why? As soon as the spymaster decides 10 minutes into the game whilst interrogating me that he set everything up (in keeping with the typical bad guy theme of letting the good guy know everything before you kill him, but that's not usually 10 minutes in...), I knew that either he isn't the real mastermind or I'm going to have someone else betray me.

So yeah, story was a big let down for me and stops it from being classed as a truly great game (which funnily enough, was the main reason last year's stealthy game DE:HR fell short). I know I've sounded a lot more critical than praising, but I still do like the game a lot and will definitely be trying a no kill playthrough soon.
    Last edited by Musthavename; October 14, 2012 at 02:38 PM.
    Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of the day.
    Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.