Thread: Barry's Bar

Agamemnon's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default Re: Barry's Bar

Korpiklaani is beautiful. Anybody other than Dan ever read The Kalevala? Many of their songs are based on stories from it, it's quite interesting. Danny turned me on to it.

Another couple groups I've found that I've liked recently are Tyr and Orden Ogan. Tyr is viking power metal, except you can understand all the lyrics and none of it is screamed, and Orden Ogan is just epic (and understandable) power metal. I've found that to me, while I do like some screamy metal, I almost never remember the songs or artists, whilst when I can understand the words (or at least make them out, since I don't speak Finnish) I remember it better.

Dave Strider's Avatar Dux Limitis

Tyr is lovely.

And yeah, they're power metal, which is usually about clean, shouted, high-pitched vocals, rather than gritty growled ones. Other bands of this genre include, as a couple of my personal favorites, Blind Guardian, Powerwolf, and (as a more widely known one) Judas Priest.
    when the union's inspiration through the worker's blood shall run,
    there can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun,
    yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one?
    but the union makes us strong.

Dirty Chai's Avatar Dux Limitis

I'm gonna be that guy who posts about how he doesn't like metal

Pls don't. Dun make me cri.

Dan the Man's Avatar S A M U R A I F O O L
    Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Strider View Post
    Tyr is lovely.

And yeah, they're power metal, which is usually about clean, shouted, high-pitched vocals, rather than gritty growled ones. Other bands of this genre include, as a couple of my personal favorites, Blind Guardian, Powerwolf, and (as a more widely known one) Judas Priest.
    Tyr's cover of Regin Smiğur is fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bastard Feudalism View Post
    I'm gonna be that guy who posts about how he doesn't like metal
    Honestly, this is a relatively recent phenomenon for me. My limit is folk metal stuff like the examples you see above because I like how closely it ties in with the culture, mythology, and history of the people making the music. Obviously I don't limit myself to metal as a genre either. I listen to a lot of alternative, classic rock, rap, etc. as well.

Folk metal is another one of those "closet interests" that I've told you guys about. Nobody outside of the relative anonymity of the internet knows I listen to this stuff. Not because I'm at all ashamed of it, it's just that there's a rather unfortunate stereotype attached to people who do like this kind of music and I'd rather not be grouped in with that. I'm also a church-going Orthodox catechumen, so I don't want people to take one look at me and think I spend my weekends sacrificing goats to Odin or something.
    Proudly under the patronage of The Holy Pilgrim, the holiest of pilgrims.

I just personally can't stand that much guitar etc.
    It hurts my ears.
    But I don't care if anyone else listens to it.

Pericles of Athens's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Wow, wow, wow. I mean I don't like metal but you can never have too much guitar, case and point classic rock (well most classic rock) knows how to use the guitar properly.

Guitar is good, but you can have too much of it. Classic rock doesn't usually overdo it.

Dan the Man's Avatar S A M U R A I F O O L
    Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
    Korpiklaani is beautiful. Anybody other than Dan ever read The Kalevala? Many of their songs are based on stories from it, it's quite interesting. Danny turned me on to it.

Another couple groups I've found that I've liked recently are Tyr and Orden Ogan. Tyr is viking power metal, except you can understand all the lyrics and none of it is screamed, and Orden Ogan is just epic (and understandable) power metal. I've found that to me, while I do like some screamy metal, I almost never remember the songs or artists, whilst when I can understand the words (or at least make them out, since I don't speak Finnish) I remember it better.
    Anything by Korpiklaani that isn't about alcohol is probably about the Kalevala. Anything by Turisas that isn't about alcohol is probably about the Varangian Guard.
    Proudly under the patronage of The Holy Pilgrim, the holiest of pilgrims.

EmperorBatman999's Avatar I say, what, what?

I'm not much of a metal guy, but Sebaton is always a favorite of mine.

On a non-metal note, what do you guys think of the new Mark Ronson/Bruno Mars song Uptown Funk? Because I ing love it.

It's been within the last 8 months that I've developed a fondness for funk, and IMO these guys capture the essence of funk amazingly.

That's a pretty good hit, I'm with you Dave.
    It's been in my head since it was released.

I like a weird mixture of stuff. Right now I'm listening to Riders in the Sky, who do old cowboy songs as traditionally as possible. But I also like power metal obviously, as this conversation proves, a bunch of other metal like thrash and some (not much) newer metal I honestly don't know how to classify (Disturbed), punk rock, country (though not "party country" or pop with twang), and blues/roots rock. And I'm well aware of the stereotypes associated with all those genres; most of those stereotypes apply to at least some aspects of me, so I don't mind.

And I know how you feel Danny. People at church keep talking about the new Newsboys song or something, and I'm just over in the corner like, "Megadeth anyone?" and they all look at me like I'm evil.

EDIT: Which is ironic, because Dave Mustaine is an Evangelical Christian.

Disturbed is moreso just Hard Rock/Alt Metal. They're definitely distinct from other Hard Rock/Alt Metal bands but I wouldn't classify them as anything higher.

And Megadeth is pretty nice, gotta admit. Mustaine, though...well, I like his music and about nothing else about him.

Ah, alright. I also like some hard rock, though that is heavily dependent on the band for me.

chesser2538's Avatar Senator
    Citizen

What's going on with the IH, has everyone just had a busy schedule and cant post, or are they dropping out, or what. This seems like it will be a great faction game once we get things rolling. I don't want to see another potentially great game go into the archive after a few weeks due to player inactivity.

Under the Patronage of the venerable General Brewster

I've just not got anything to do. Dan's still not yet posted his OOBs (and that's fine, no pressure Daniel, I realize college is more important) and I've still had yet to hear back from some people who I'm doing some...plotting, with.

Pericles of Athens's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

I'm waiting for battles to get modded.

Kip's Avatar Idea missing.

I'm glad you guys are into Bruno Mars - I hope its a sign of the times. Admittedly, everyone here has had pretty distinguished and/or unique tastes in music (sadly, I don't think Gregorian chants will be getting any airtime) but I could shed a tear when people like Bruno Mars because it gives me hope that Funk and Motown might make a lasting resurgence. Bruno Mars is making that kind of music "cool" again.

Continuing with music, I've been playing Destiny since Christmas and it's the first game in ages that's made me set the controller down to just listen to the soundtrack. Game's got it's share of issues but this is one point they really hit out of the park. This first one is probably the most descriptively "Destiny" - a lot of the in-game sound cues are sampled from this track.

...and this one is probably my favorite. Really conveys a sense of desperation. (to put it in perspective, the mission this is from sees you defending a control station from attacking enemies while the titular colossal array rises slowly in the distance out of a subterranean hangar.

The more ambient tracks are really great too. If you're the type that likes to put a Youtube playlist on in the background while you work/study, give the whole thing a listen.

Barry Goldwater's Avatar Mr. Conservative

Re: NPiOT, activity's slowed down due to a mix of me being busy lately (and I'll probably continue to be quite busy for a few more weeks at least) so I probably won't be able to mod battles or even set them up outside of the weekends. If anyone's willing to step up as battle mod in the meantime, that would be grand. Also, some players haven't finished up their OOBs; in some cases this is OK for now (ex. Dan, who at least doesn't have to worry about the USA, and Finland as well as long as Fred isn't launching the Winter War), at other times not so much (ex. LM, who hasn't finished distributing units across his armies, so I can't resolve something as simple as BF's bombing order from way back yet since I have no clue what units he'd be hitting or what LM's defenses in X areas are).

Xion has raised an interesting question - that of trade. I presently have no rules for economic trade (not oil trade) since I had tried to keep the game's economics barebones, but it may be worthwhile to let countries gain $$$ from trade with each other (certainly it'd make it easier for smaller countries to maintain historical armies that they normally wouldn't be able to afford). To that end, there are two possible trading rulesets I think we can use: either the leveled trade agreements where everyone makes X amount of money at level 1 (which is also the easiest agreement to break, with only a small economic penalty) and a crapload at level 5 (also the hardest to sever) or we could have countries gain extra income equal to a certain % of their trading partners' incomes. What do you guys think?