Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Iron Islands - House Greyjoy

Praepositus
    Citizen

Default The Iron Islands - House Greyjoy

The Iron Islands - House Greyjoy

Family Tree

Theon Greyjoy Position: Lord/King of the Iron Islands
    Physical Description: Theon is a tall, handsome man, rugged in some ways. Built heavily, as all Ironborn are, though by no means physically imposing. The is often seen wearing his cocky smile, along with an air of arrogance.
    Personality: Theon is highly arrogant, not being afraid to show off. He does, however, possess extreme cunning and intellect, making him an excellent strategist. His natural tendency to believe himself better than others sometimes makes him a poor diplomat however.
    Background: Theon has had an unusual upbringing, as a direct result of his fathers decision to declare independence - though by no means does Theon hold this against him. At the age of ten, when the Longships sailed forth to assert independence, and came back afire, he was taken by House Stark in the North to be a ward, where he began to learn the ways of the mainland. As a result, Theon is more versed in the ways of the mainland than many other Ironborn, leading to some conflict as to his habits, especially his tendency not to 'pay the iron price' for his goods.

Family History
    The Greyjoys claim a descent from the Grey King, a lengendary figure from the Age of Heroes. It is said the Grey King killed the first Sea Dragon with help from the Drowned God, and reigned for a thousand years.

The Greyjoys came to power as a result of the Targaryen Conquest. The previous ruling house of the Isles, House Hoare, refused to submit to the authority of Aegon I, who promptly burned them in their fortress. Although at this point the Ironborn were masters of the Riverlands, they fled back to their Isles and elected Vickon Greyjoy as their Lord, whilst Aegon the Conqueror named House Tully as lords of the Riverlands - the source of much contention and rivalry between the two houses.

Having ruled the Iron Isles ever since, the Greyjoys enjoy almost supreme control over their populace, benefiting from the fealty of many of the noble houses upon the isles. Despite this, the Ironborn do not enjoy much representation with 'the green lands' as mainland is called - preferring instead to keep the peace, occasionally returning to their favoured past time of reaving.

This policy lead to them staying out of the War of the Usurper and the replacing of House Targaryen with House Baratheon, however in 289AL Balon Greyjoy, in an attempt to restore traditions of old, led a rebellion against the Iron Throne. This endeavour, however, was not succesful, resulting in the loss of his three sons - two to death, and one to House Stark as a ward. A broken shell of a man, Balon returned to his castle at Pyke, only partially repairing it. Seeing the loss, the Lady Asha and Lord Victarian put in place a plan to rescue their brother Theon from the Starks - which turned out to be successful. Theon, having grown up with the mainland way of doing things, intrigued in politics and power, and paired with a cunning mind, sensed the opportunity to seize his fathers seat.

Having done so, Theon, Asha and Victarian, along with their estranged cousin Dagon set about restoring the honour and power of the House of Greyjoy.

Family Crest and Motto

Pyke Fortress - Seat of King Theon
    Spoiler for Pyke Fortress

an artists impression of the Fortress

Pyke Fortress is perhaps the most formidable castle upon the Iron Isles - fitting then, to be the seat of House Greyjoy. The castle at Pyke is surrounded by massive curtain walls, and the sea - and individual sections of the castle sit upon outlying rocks, connected by bridges. The outermost of these, the Sea Tower, is connected only by a rope footbridge, providing excellent defence.

The current Lord of Pyke is King Theon Greyjoy the Ironborn, First of His Name, Lord Reaper of Pyke and Lord of all the Iron Islands. He sits as the head of House Greyjoy, and represents all that is Ironborn. He commands a total of 3000 men from Pyke.

Hammerhorn Castle - Seat of Prince Victarian
    Spoiler for Great Wyk

an artists impression of Great Wyk

Though traditionally the seat of House Goodbrother, a highly influential house upon Great Wyk, the Greyjoys have ruthlessly commandeered the castle for their own use.

Prince Victarian, First of His Name, Lord Captain of the Iron Fleet, Master of the Iron Victory and Lord of Great Wyk is the current master of Great Wyk. He commands 1500 men from Great Wyk, as well as commanding the Iron Fleet.

The Island of Orkemont - Seat of Lady Asha
    Although traditionally the seat of House Orkwood and House Tawney, the Greyjoys, in order to secure their loyalty, have placed one of their own upon the isles.

The Lady Asha Greyjoy, Captain of the Black Wind and Master of Orkmont currently commands the Island of Orkmont - leading a total of 1000 men into battle.

Blacktyde Island - Seat of Lord Dagon
    There is nothing of much interest upon Blacktyde Island - a fitting residence then for the outcast of the House Greyjoy.

Lord Dagon Greyjoy the Drunkard, Captain of the Sea Bastard, Lord of Blacktyde resides here, commanding the Islands 1500 men.
    Last edited by ulti; April 20, 2012 at 03:47 PM.

Narf's Avatar Reach for the Stars.
    Content Staff Citizen

Default Re: The Iron Islands - House Greyjoy

The Redwyne Banners are seen on the horizon. Two Finely decorated ships of great craftsmanship dock. Half a hour later A group of Ten Knights are approaching Pyke Fortress.

Praepositus
    Citizen

They are met by an equal number of Ironborn guards, barring their entrance to the great fortress of Pyke, and demanding to know their intentions.

Content Staff Citizen

A young man approach the guards and explain to them that he is here to discuss diplomatic relations between the Irons Islands and The Arbor. The women escorded by the ten knights wears finely woven Myrish Lace.
    Last edited by Narf; April 18, 2012 at 04:47 AM.

Praepositus
    Citizen

Hesitantly, the delegation is allowed into the Fortress. Taken to the outermost reaches of the Fortress, accessible only by a shaky, 1 man footbridge, they are eventually shown to King Theon.

"Visitors from the Arbor I see?"

Content Staff Citizen

The Knights stood back politely when they enterted the chambers of the King, The lady in the finely woven myrish silk stepped forward and appeared from the tall knights that had escorded her here. She courtsied before the King.
    "Yes, Your Grace Theon Greyjoy, King of the Iron Islands, Lord Reaper of Pyke and Lord of the Iron Islands. I come to speak on behalf of my Father Lord Logan Redwyne the second of his name, Lord of The Arbor, Lord of the Golden Harbour."

Praepositus
    Citizen

Theon smiles as he observes the woman in front of him, impressed by her diplomatic skills.

"Indeed, well received. To whom do I have the pleasure of talking, however?"

Then, quickly turning to an aide, he requests refreshments for the lady and an update of the situation in Arbor for himself.

Content Staff Citizen

The Lady curtsied again now introducing herself according to custom, if name is requested.
    "
    I am Willette Redwyne the fourth of my name, Daughter of Runecrast Redwyne and Sister to Logan Redwyne the second of his name, Lord of the Arbor. Your Grace."
    Her eyes followed the aide and she took and spoke up before the women was going through the unnecessary trouble.
    "My Lord Logan Redwyne have had me bring a barrel of Arbor Gold'1' as a sign of goodwill, you grace."
    Most would save it till a wedding or some other occasion and as it was a gift to the Reaper of Pyke. He could of-course chose to save it till another time. Now he had the possibility though.

'1'
    The Arbor is known for making the best wine in Westeros. It is known to make a terrific red wine. It also makes a gold wine, rare and sought after as far as Quarth(other side of the world.).

Praepositus
    Citizen

Stopping mid-stride, the woman turns to Theon, who simply nods. The servant accepts the bottle, opening it and pouring into two crystal glasses, placed on a table between two chairs to the side. Theon rises, and motions towards the table.

"A most gracious gift, Lady Willette, the intention is clear and the sentiment welcome. Please, sit, your journey will have been a long one."

Content Staff Citizen

The lady smiles a small charming smile to show that the way he received it was a welcome sight. She hands her white fur coat to one of her knights revealing the purple myrish silk dress.
    "
    Thank you, your grace"
    She said as she granted his request and took the seat he had motioned towards.

"
    The journey here was indeed tough, a few days ago we was welcomed into your waters by a storm. But beside that it was a pleasant journey here, your grace, long but nice."

Praepositus
    Citizen

He laughs.

"Aye, you'd expect a storm or two this time of year."

As he chuckles, he takes a sip of the wine, surprised at the taste.

"A wine worth it's name - I envy you. All we get here is mead - no place to grow crop here, if the land was even fertile."

Content Staff Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by ulti View Post
    He laughs.

"Aye, you'd expect a storm or two this time of year."

As he chuckles, he takes a sip of the wine, surprised at the taste.

"A wine worth it's name - I envy you. All we get here is mead - no place to grow crop here, if the land was even fertile."
    The lady crossed one leg over her knee and rested it there as she took a sip from the wine, she smiled slightly and looked at the man.
    "
    Well, in some way that is part of the reason I am here. I have the feeling.. That talking in too long formalities en't that appreciated here in the Iron Islands. So I'll throw out the first reason I am here without further ado now that we sit here comfortably with good wine and company."
    She winked.
    "
    How would you like to have a trading agreement with.. The Arbor."
    She smiled slightly, knowing that trade was a word rarely heard here, how did they put it? They pay the Iron price... She smiled slightly, she hoped this would go well.

Praepositus
    Citizen

More than a few eyebrows in the room raised when she mentioned trade.

"That depends on what you define as... trade... milday."

He smiled a knowing smile.

Content Staff Citizen

The Lady nodded, well this was interesting he didn't frown by the notion. He have curiosity towards it.. But is that for normal trade or does he have something else on his mind. She smiled her small charming smile once more..
    "Trade as in, you will get a steady supply of meat. So that the people on these islands can try something that isn't fish. Fruit, for you and your family, Clothes, woodwork. Weapons of Innovative design. what I off you, Your Grace, Is trade with a Port that trade with the entire world. We offer you to open trade with Ryamsport, and all the benefits that you can get from that. You can't get everything from borrowing items from the coasts."
    She winks again and sips to her wine.

Praepositus
    Citizen

He laughs quietly at the last, though also ruefully. It was well known that the very island the Lady before him represented, and the Shield Islands, prevented a majority of the Islands borrowing.

"A generous offer from Arbor, but one, I believe, which has it's price. What would you require in return, milady?"

He smiles a knowing smile once more, there was only one thing the Islands possessed that would gleam in the eyes of The Arbor.

Content Staff Citizen

She brushed of some imaginary dust from her sleve and took the opportunity to look at her nails, she then looked up at him. Relaxed and smiled..
    "
    Well, you will of-course pay with, honest, gold in exchange for any of the wares that your heart desire. That is a profit for us even though I reckon some will return to you if the rumours about fine Iron Ores on these Islands are true. Beside that. Well, We can't have anyone disturbing our mutual profit. Can we? So a strange kind of Union have been proposed by my Lord, He proposes that The Arbor and the Iron Islands get a mutual assistance pact which will include everything that benefits us both, now he wanted to make war an exception. Unless Our Islands are attacked by Main-Land Lords. If that was to happen, The two fleets will join together to prevent... A... loss in both our profits."
    She said the last thing with a smile and sipped from the golden wine.

Praepositus
    Citizen

He smiles, having already accepted the fact that his treasured Iron Fleet may be used to defend another. Then, a thought strikes him, and he leans forward to whisper it.

"And also, perhaps, his Lordship could look the other way whilst my ships raid land in search of more profit.. for both of us"

After he says this he smiles deviously.

Content Staff Citizen

She smiles very shortly, enough to give away that the thought weren't too devious for her at all, but a proper frown grimaced her face.
    "
    No, your Grace, that would be wrong, The Arbor protect the tradesmen of the sea and they look to us for safe Haven."
    Her eyes turn to her knights for a split-second and then back at Theon.

Praepositus
    Citizen

He smiles subtly, having seen the gesture.

"Of course, of course, it was a fanciful suggestion. I understand your concerns perfectly. I will see to it that our ships stay away from the area unless on trade..."

Though looking like he meant the words, his tone made it clear that he didn't.

Content Staff Citizen

She shifted her crossed legs, and looked to her Knigts.
    "
    Ser Geon of Golden Haven, would you and the others be so kind as to go and make sure the Arbor Queen in properly prepared for the night before the tide stir up the waters?"
    The Knight bows and responds promptly.
    "
    Yes, Milady"
    Ten or so seconds later the door closed after them and she turned her head slowly wristing her gaze from the door, wit heyes suddenly locked on Theon Greyjoy. After some long seconds she smiles.
    "
    Well, I am a little more... Ambitious, your Grace. I have no intention to cede our role as the protectors of the southern sea.. The Mainland Lords know of the risk that the cities at the coast are constantly under. Their real valuables lies longer in on land. If we follow your plan, they will start to question what have changed since you haven't raided down there in the past. If we make up a story about our houses being in a feud, it would be natural that we would need our fleet elsewhere.. And only be able to give relief and patrols to the territories that contribute to the war founds, because else we really have no more ships to spare. And with the territories that don't contribute to this honourable fight will lie open for your Iron Hand."
    She smiled slightly, sipped from her wine once more, emptying the glass.

"And that is how we can extract their money from entire countries. Not just the coast. What does your Grace think about this?"

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast