Page 7 of 55 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast

Thread: Existence of God

Default Re: Existence of God

Quote Originally Posted by mishkin View Post
    If we (humanity) yet not know or understand something, that somethig is or points to the existance of god?
    I ask this in 2012, imagine the questions in 1012. Rain? god / plagues? - god (etc.).

Edit: And imagine the aswers in 3012. God will have it very hard in 3012
    Actually, the more we know about the universe, the more we understand it. The moer we will beleive in God.

For then we will know just how sophisticated, and organized this universe is. And we will understand how absurd it is to say this universe was created by accident. Or that There is no conscious "being" who controls it.

A simple example, just look at the distance earth is to the Sun. Did you know that scientists have stated that if earth was a little closer to the sun we would be scorched, and if it was a little farther away we would freeze. How perfect is the positioning of the Earth to allow Life, you think an accident can do that ?

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

@Stormrage:I think we are in such opposite positions that this discussion is useless. Hope you know i respect your ideas and sorry to leaving this discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by -Stormrage- View Post
    Infinite regress is impossible, becuase then we wouldnt be here, Nothing would be done if it was infinite Regress.

You know hat infinite regress is ? its like having 3 people you give a box to person A, he sais he wont open it until person b opens it. Then Person B sais he wont open it until Person C opens it, and person C sais he wont open it until Person A opens it.

Will the box ever get opened ?
    Why can't there be a natural cause that doesn't work in a linear manner (I mean cause and effect)? Why does it have to be a god that doesn't adhere to concepts like time?

And your example is entirely different. It's a loop of the 3 same events. Of course it won't be opened. If it were an infinite number of events and variables, that would be entirely different.

As for can i prove it was my God, thats irrelevant, the relevance is there is more then enough proof of the existence of God. Plus that needs another discussion in itself.
    It's entirely relevant. God is a specific entity, there's multiple deities that go by that name and many other deities, each with it's own unique properties. You can possibly prove that a god is necessary, but what justification do you have for your filling in the rest with purely blind faith? Since you'll refuse to answer here though, I've made a new thread.

A simple example, just look at the distance earth is to the Sun. Did you know that scientists have stated that if earth was a little closer to the sun we would be scorched, and if it was a little farther away we would freeze. How perfect is the positioning of the Earth to allow Life, you think an accident can do that ?
    And did you know that there's billions, if not trillions of different solar systems, each with planets orbiting in different distances from their star. There's bound to be a few with good conditions for life to arise. All this good luck that you lot talk about isn't good luck at all. It's an inevitability when you have so many stars and planets.
    Actually, the more we know about the universe, the more we understand it. The moer we will beleive in God.
    Which is why there's a correlation between the decline of religion and the expansion of human knowledge?
    Last edited by Veliky Kaiser Theos; July 13, 2012 at 12:37 PM.

Hakkapeliitta's Avatar Senator
    Dark side of the Moooooon (where the cows are)

Quote Originally Posted by irontaino View Post
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Yeah, that ain't agnosticism. You don't believe in any gods? Then be comfortable with the knowledge that you're just another atheist with a smelly puffy-hole. Anyway, the picture has nothing to do with any kind of agnosticism ever. And no, there is no irony in me pointing this out.

Hakkapeliitta's Avatar Senator
    Dark side of the Moooooon (where the cows are)

Quote Originally Posted by General Sultan V View Post
    That's cow-droppings too.

Male nipples!

... prove that there is no demiurge or 'god'.

Male nipples, think about it.

Himster's Avatar Praeses

Male nipples proves mammalian evolution, that does not however disprove the god(s) hypotheses.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

But i want to see religious people (preferably catholic) talking about nipples. That can be funny.
    Last edited by mishkin; July 17, 2012 at 12:28 PM.

Lol wut?

The earth gets closer and farther from the sun all year, it follows an elliptical path, thats why we have summers, winters, autumns, and springs.

Whatever scientist said that obviously wasnt doing his homework.

Congratulations, you lied in the name of making people follow your religion.
    Last edited by General Sultan V; July 18, 2012 at 12:48 AM.

Himster's Avatar Praeses

Did you know that scientists have stated that if earth was a little closer to the sun we would be scorched, and if it was a little farther away we would freeze. How perfect is the positioning of the Earth to allow Life, you think an accident can do that ?
    Physics "causes" the position of the earth to be in the "habitable zone", there are trillions of planets in a similar position.

Calling that an accident reveals your shocking ignorance of what you're talking about.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    Physics "causes" the position of the earth to be in the "habitable zone", there are trillions of planets in a similar position.

Calling that an accident reveals your shocking ignorance of what you're talking about.
    I was the first one to say it I'm smarticles

Himster's Avatar Praeses

Actually I said it in my head way before that soo........
    I'm smartacus.
    -Betrand Russell

Actually I said it in my head way before that soo........
    I'm smartacus.
    Agreed.

I'm sure we've responded to it like that at some point before this thread. It's such an easily refuted argument, I don't know why it's so commonly used.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Neat. Didn't know that the zone was so large.
    Last edited by Veliky Kaiser Theos; July 18, 2012 at 10:14 AM.

Yomamashouse's Avatar Semisalis

I love when people act like I'm insane for thinking it is pure chance that we are here on earth. Ya, real big surprise that in a solar system with multiple planets, only the one suited to life has life. MIND = BLOWN

Physics is a system with no conscience how can it dictate anything of its own free will. The golden question is where did this pristine system of physics come form.

I'll give you a small example, look at your saliva. Did you know that "Human saliva is composed of 99.5% water, while the other 0.5% consists of electrolytes, mucus, glycoproteins, enzymes, and antibacterial compounds such as secretory IgA and lysozyme." - wikipedia . and did you also know that "The enzymes found in saliva are essential in beginning the process of digestion of dietary starches and fats."

Here we find out that in order to break down food saliva must be composed of exactly 99.5% water and 0.5% electrolytes, mucus, glycoproteins, enzymes, and antibacterial compounds such as secretory IgA and lysozyme. and that this mixture of enzymes is essential for us to break down food. Which one of your unconscious, unintelligent, unthinking systems decided these measurements. Or maybe an explosion happened and these substances accidently got together in this perfect ratio which allows us to digest food.

Secondly, lets presume saliva was created by an explosion which got all these components together. Saliva didn't have to be present in the mouth, it could have been in the stomach it could have been coming out of our sweat glands. A system is powerless to create anything without an intelligent conscious "being in control" .

This is just a simple example of the saliva in your mouth, now what about this whole universe. It is absurd to think it has no Creator. A magnificent building is a testimony to the intelligence of its builder and architect, what of this Universe.

Cahoma's Avatar Tribunus
    Sooooomewheeeeere ooover the raaaaainboooow

Evolution.

Also, who was the creater of God? And if you say nobody was, then why the heck does the universe need one?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    ... Cahoma himself is racist ...

Himster's Avatar Praeses

Physics is a system with no conscience how can it dictate anything of its own free will. The golden question is where did this pristine system of physics come form.
    Nobody knows with mankinds current knowledge, those who claim to know are either deluded or lying.

I'll give you a small example, look at your saliva. Did you know that "Human saliva is composed of 99.5% water, while the other 0.5% consists of electrolytes, mucus, glycoproteins, enzymes, and antibacterial compounds such as secretory IgA and lysozyme." - wikipedia . and did you also know that "The enzymes found in saliva are essential in beginning the process of digestion of dietary starches and fats."
    That was produced by the process that we call evolution, or more specifically the natural selection of random mutations over millions of years.

Here we find out that in order to break down food saliva must be composed of exactly 99.5% water and 0.5% electrolytes, mucus, glycoproteins, enzymes, and antibacterial compounds such as secretory IgA and lysozyme. and that this mixture of enzymes is essential for us to break down food. Which one of your unconscious, unintelligent, unthinking systems decided these measurements. Or maybe an explosion happened and these substances accidently got together in this perfect ratio which allows us to digest food.
    These imperfect measurements and poorly thought out digestive tract is a clear sign of either the natural processes that we call evolution or an unbelievably inept and incompetent creator. One is science the other is mythology. One is based on evidence the other is pure conjecture.

Secondly, lets presume saliva was created by an explosion which got all these components together. Saliva didn't have to be present in the mouth, it could have been in the stomach it could have been coming out of our sweat glands. A system is powerless to create anything without an intelligent conscious "being in control" .
    Everything is "created" by explosions, Iron is made by fission, hydrogen came from the big bang, carbon comes from dead stars, gold is made by super-novas etc.

This is just a simple example of the saliva in your mouth, now what about this whole universe. It is absurd to think it has no Creator. A magnificent building is a testimony to the intelligence of its builder and architect, what of this Universe.
    Ah god of the gaps, the death knell of theism: but you even fail to realize where the constantly shrinking gaps are, can't you see when you argue from the point of mankinds' ignorance you're committing a massive fallacy: argumentum ad ignorantiam.

All you have successfully stated is: we don't know everything. A statement so obvious it has no need to be stated.
    -Betrand Russell