Page 5 of 55 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast

Thread: Existence of God

saneel's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Existence of God

Do you wonder about the rise of atheism despite it's sophistry and irrationality?

Prophet Muhammed peace be upon him said: "The Hour will not come until no one on earth will say 'Allah, Allah'" and in another narration "... until no one on earth will say 'there is none worthy of worship except Allah'"

We live in times when we're constantly bombarded by messages to worship our own egos, escape reality, and obey our desires. But to make it palatable to live such a lifestyle, one has to reject their innate drive to recognize their Creator. Nothing can provide such an escape better than sophistry to justify this rejection.

Atheism might provide a nice justification for hedonistic living. But it will lead to a rude awakening when it's time for eternal living.

Quote Originally Posted by GodEmperor Nicholas View Post
    I don't really believe in a god. Being a physics/economics major, I'm pretty quantitative so as you can tell, there aint much evidence of gods part on the world. *nevertheless* you cant claim there is proof of no god.
    And no one can claim there's no proof of:
    - Non-Godness
    - Whatever non-physical-related idea one believes to be true

At any rate, more importantly, I think some religions can be useful in teaching basic morals so I think the usefulness of the existence of things like the bible or the 10 commandments should not necessarily be discounted.
    If only Christians would believe in their 10 commandments (which actually have a pre-Christian and even pre-Jewish base).

I dislike all the scared people who are nocking religion so strongly, since they are just creating disunity in the united states, when I think we desperately need unity.
    Hmm.. disunity in US politics -> not my cup of tea. Though my outlook: it will grow, and grow and grow...

Himster's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by saneel View Post
    Do you wonder about the rise of atheism despite it's sophistry and irrationality?

Prophet Muhammed peace be upon him said: "The Hour will not come until no one on earth will say 'Allah, Allah'" and in another narration "... until no one on earth will say 'there is none worthy of worship except Allah'"

We live in times when we're constantly bombarded by messages to worship our own egos, escape reality, and obey our desires. But to make it palatable to live such a lifestyle, one has to reject their innate drive to recognize their Creator. Nothing can provide such an escape better than sophistry to justify this rejection.

Atheism might provide a nice justification for hedonistic living. But it will lead to a rude awakening when it's time for eternal living.
    I love the irony of using sophistry and red-herrings to justify your labelling of sophistry. Your patronising intellectual immaturity and hilarious sweeping generalisations give theists everywhere a bad name.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

saneel's Avatar Senator

Chances are if you're an atheist, it's because your closest companion is an atheist, and if you're religious, it's because your closest companion is religious. Very rarely do people first think about their beliefs then choose their companions accordingly. Usually it's "rationalizations" that allow them to continue being with the company they're already with. It's desire- and self-worhsip at its best.

"An individual is upon the religion/way of his/her companion, so let each of you reflect upon who their company is" - Prophet Muhammed peace be upon him.

Himster's Avatar Praeses

Nope, my closest friend is catholic, all my girlfriends have been protestants. Only the most vacuous and the most shallow people choose their friends based on their religion or lack there-of.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

Dihnekhs's Avatar Laetus

The truth is that all abrahamic religions(judaism-christianity-islam) follow the same basic patern <<I am your god,all other gods are fake and everyone must follow me>> this resulted and results in violence against followers of other religions(mass murders,outlawing certain religions,even concentration camps like skythopolis)!
    Assume that a god like that exists,then he is not good thuss we shouldnt follow him,also he would easilly impose his religion on non believers!
    Lets take the old religions(polytheists,pagan is a derogative term) they followed a certain god or groups of gods(sometimes fanatically)but in most cases accepted other gods of united them with theirs(ie ammon - zeus - jupiter/egyptian - hellenic - roman) because all of them were part of nature(each one resembled a part ie zeus = sky rain and thunder,ares = war ,demetra = cultivation of land and so on)
    <<The gods are eternal because if the change they either change towards the worst ,thus we shouldnt follow them,or towards the best in which case when they started they had changed towards the worst>>Saloustios

Lord of Lost Socks's Avatar Primicerius

Chances are if you're an atheist, it's because your closest companion is an atheist, and if you're religious, it's because your closest companion is religious. Very rarely do people first think about their beliefs then choose their companions accordingly.
    I disagree. I am an atheist, some of my friends are family are atheist or religious. I have more atheist friends because that's the type of people I seem to gravitate to. It's not uncommon at all that likeminded people end up becoming friends.

“The human eye is a wonderful device. With a little effort, it can fail to see even the most glaring injustice.”

I'm not afraid of death, I can't see any proof whatsoever of the proof of god. Looking around and seeing the perfect chaos is just as much proof of a "big bang" as it is of God's existence. I don't use atheism to justify a lifestyle of hedonism. I just think that in the modern world, I should be able to think for myself. I have my own moral code, I don't need yours. Is my reason for not believing. I don't see any reason to believe.
    Support regulation for fracking.

Why are there posts on hedonism and "how you came to your beliefs"? Neither have anything to do with whether or not a god exists.

Because religious people always accuse non religious people of being hedonistic and saying that because they don't have a religious moral code they must be immoral. Kinda like them saying the only reason they don't hunt down and kill me then violate my corpse is because their God says that's not okay and that everyone that doesn't believe would easily do something like that because not being religious automatically makes me an evil, hedonistic monster.
    Support regulation for fracking.

Bob Doad's Avatar Primicerius

Chances are if you're an atheist, it's because your closest companion is an atheist, and if you're religious, it's because your closest companion is religious. Very rarely do people first think about their beliefs then choose their companions accordingly. Usually it's "rationalizations" that allow them to continue being with the company they're already with. It's desire- and self-worhsip at its best.

"An individual is upon the religion/way of his/her companion, so let each of you reflect upon who their company is" - Prophet Muhammed peace be upon him.
    Actually, I went to a Catholic School for 7 years in the Bible Belt and am now an atheist with still Christian friends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dihnekhs View Post
    The truth is that all abrahamic religions(judaism-christianity-islam) follow the same basic patern <<I am your god,all other gods are fake and everyone must follow me>> this resulted and results in violence against followers of other religions(mass murders,outlawing certain religions,even concentration camps like skythopolis)!
    Assume that a god like that exists,then he is not good thuss we shouldnt follow him,also he would easilly impose his religion on non believers!
    Lets take the old religions(polytheists,pagan is a derogative term) they followed a certain god or groups of gods(sometimes fanatically)but in most cases accepted other gods of united them with theirs(ie ammon - zeus - jupiter/egyptian - hellenic - roman) because all of them were part of nature(each one resembled a part ie zeus = sky rain and thunder,ares = war ,demetra = cultivation of land and so on)
    <<The gods are eternal because if the change they either change towards the worst ,thus we shouldnt follow them,or towards the best in which case when they started they had changed towards the worst>>Saloustios
    All religions have things in common with one another. In fact if you have ever seen Religioulous(?) or watched a Dawkins, or Hitchens video (yes those are atheist sources but that is where you would find anti-theist arguments) you might realize most of the Bible is ripped from other religions (mostly polytheistic). Noah's story is an easy example as it is found in the fable of many religions of the region. Another is Jesus's story as it is found almost verbatim in the form of an Egyptian god or in the stories of other "messiah's" of the time (yes there actually were others). In the same way, many "coincidences" between Monotheistic lore and Polytheistic fable.
    Quote Originally Posted by liamb109 View Post
    I'm not afraid of death, I can't see any proof whatsoever of the proof of god. Looking around and seeing the perfect chaos is just as much proof of a "big bang" as it is of God's existence. I don't use atheism to justify a lifestyle of hedonism. I just think that in the modern world, I should be able to think for myself. I have my own moral code, I don't need yours. Is my reason for not believing. I don't see any reason to believe.
    Exactly, when I am asked "Where do you draw your morals from" and "Are you scared of death since nothing happens after" I respond with "The Golden Rule is a good place to start" and "I am no more afraid of the year 1910 as I am of 3010". I just thought I would add my two cents to your answer.
    O and i nom nom nom on rep so yea...click the button...im waiting
    Promoter of:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Grouchio's Avatar Vicarius

I just believe that all gods are as old as the calendar, one of mankind's earliest inventions in order to look for guidance and truth, making themselves puny and weak-minded in the process. God to me is unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Grouchio View Post
    I just believe that all gods are as old as the calendar, one of mankind's earliest inventions in order to look for guidance and truth, making themselves puny and weak-minded in the process. God to me is unnecessary.
    Ok then, if you think God is our own unnecessary invention then let me ask a few questions.

You and I exist. We did not bring about our own existence. I think no one here will disagree with those.

How did you come into existence ?

You were nothing, you became something. Therefore something must have brought you into existence. If you agree then you believe in A god, with special emphasis on the A.

Now your God can be the sun for example, or a Cow or Mother Nature, but the point is you believe in A God. So its silly to say God is an invention of our over-active imaginations.

Lord of Lost Socks's Avatar Primicerius

Yes, if I use the very vaguest form of God and define God as the universe, then I do believe in God. But, to spare confusion I may aswell say I believe the universe exists.

“The human eye is a wonderful device. With a little effort, it can fail to see even the most glaring injustice.”

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Lost Socks View Post
    Yes, if I use the very vaguest form of God and define God as the universe, then I do believe in God. But, to spare confusion I may aswell say I believe the universe exists.
    But God is inherently a supernatural being, so in order to believe in God you'll have to accept that somewhere, somehow, the rules of science cease to function.

Quote Originally Posted by Vizvii View Post
    But God is inherently a supernatural being, so in order to believe in God you'll have to accept that somewhere, somehow, the rules of science cease to function.
    Science ceases to function even in the simplest aspects of our world

Such as the emotions, happyness, Sadness, Anger, Jealousy. Science has no way to measure those. A beautiful thing to notice also, is how happy you feel when someone smiles at you, it has a tremendous affect on us. Notice, what is a smile ? Its just the slight movement of muscles on the face, yet what a great effect it has on our psyche.

Himster's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by -Stormrage- View Post

Such as the emotions, happyness, Sadness, Anger, Jealousy. Science has no way to measure those. A beautiful thing to notice also, is how happy you feel when someone smiles at you, it has a tremendous affect on us. Notice, what is a smile ? Its just the slight movement of muscles on the face, yet what a great effect it has on our psyche.
    Neurobiology is a science.
    -Betrand Russell

I learnt in high school pyschology that emotions are measured in quantitative studies by categorising responses in order to obtain a quantitative measurement.

By measure, i mean you can not put them in a cup.

You cant give a person a cup of happiness for example, its something felt within.

If your not happy with that example, you also have Morals to look at. Good vs Evil etc.

Himster's Avatar Praeses

By measure, i mean you can not put them in a cup.

You cant give a person a cup of happiness for example, its something felt within.

If your not happy with that example, you also have Morals to look at. Good vs Evil etc.
    Very few things in science are done in cups. Time isn't measured in a cup, as far as I know only chefs measure with cups, cooking is an art not a science.
    -Betrand Russell