Page 2 of 55 FirstFirst 1234567891011122752 ... LastLast

Thread: Existence of God

Default Re: Existence of God

Quote Originally Posted by SufianBabri View Post
    Atheism is a belief of no god; that is what I meant.
    And he was telling you: No it's not, you're using a label and definition of atheism which is not acceptable to many atheists.

Lord of Lost Socks's Avatar Primicerius

If not playing football is a sport, then I'm a pro athlete.

“The human eye is a wonderful device. With a little effort, it can fail to see even the most glaring injustice.”

Hard Atheism is a belief of no god;
    Fixed. You bunch us all together, but a lot of us are soft atheists. Us softies don't deny that there is a god. Just don't believe that there is one.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Philp View Post
    Fixed. You bunch us all together, but a lot of us are soft atheists. Us softies don't deny that there is a god. Just don't believe that there is one.
    Well to be fair it's called Weak atheism, and it's a rejection of theistic claims due to the theistic claims not living up to their burden of proof. But soft atheism sounds cool to me, a bit fluffy.

p.s even if Hard/positive atheism is a position where one asserts that no god exists, It still wouldn't qualify itself as a religion as some like to think that atheism is.

Himster's Avatar Praeses

Well the simplest thing to do is to keep our faith (atheism, monotheism, polytheism) aside and discuss how did we humans, this Earth, etc came into being. Since nobody today disagrees about established scientific facts, discussion can take place smoothly.
    Ok, sure, to figure out how all that leftover gas and dust led from the big bang and later dead stars to planets, astronomers have largely studied the structure of our own solar system for clues. They've also looked to distant, younger solar systems still in varying stages of development.
    With the formation of the sun, the remaining gas and dust flattened into a rotating protoplanetary disk. Within this swirling debris, rocky particles began to collide, forming larger masses that soon attracted even more particles via gravity. These particles contracted under gravity to create planetesimals, which collided with one another to become the solid inner planets. Meanwhile, gases farther from the parent star would freeze into giant balls that would build the outer gas giants, like jupiter.

Humans evolved from simpler primates who evolved from simpler mammals who evolved from a kind of reptilian creature which evolved from tetrapods (amphibians), which evolved from synapsids, it goes back simpler and simpler, but ultimately we can't objectively assert how life arose in the first place. We know much of the required components for life are relatively common and that early earth conditions were ideal for fusing many of these components. Most people think there's a supernatural element involved, but I think because eveerything else in the universe is natural, why should life be separate?
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

Indefinitely Banned

I had a recent experiance where i was in danger and wanted help and i prayed to god as i had no other option (even though i am a atheist) and i got a feeling of euphoria and felt calm again then the danger passed.Is that gods work

Quote Originally Posted by Aruthiel View Post
    Well to be fair it's called Weak atheism, and it's a rejection of theistic claims due to the theistic claims not living up to their burden of proof.
    I was under the impression that weak and soft were interchangable terms.
    p.s even if Hard/positive atheism is a position where one asserts that no god exists, It still wouldn't qualify itself as a religion as some like to think that atheism is.
    No, it's not a religion, but it's still a faith.

/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/

Well to be fair it's called Weak atheism, and it's a rejection of theistic claims due to the theistic claims not living up to their burden of proof. But soft atheism sounds cool to me, a bit fluffy.
    Tiny correction: An implicit weak atheist doesn't care about the burden of proof, he just isn't interested or hasn't been exposed to the god concept.

It's almost a theism though, since it's a belief about gods albeit in the negative. Personally I treat strong/gnostic atheists and gnostic theists as using the same same thought patterns - Jumping to conclusions for the same emotional reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Cruise View Post
    I had a recent experiance where i was in danger and wanted help and i prayed to god as i had no other option (even though i am a atheist) and i got a feeling of euphoria and felt calm again then the danger passed.Is that gods work
    No, that's an adrenaline rush.
    Or your brain suffered oxygen depravation
    Or your drugs kicked in...

It's almost a theism though, since it's a belief about gods albeit in the negative. Personally I treat strong/gnostic atheists and gnostic theists as using the same same thought patterns - Jumping to conclusions for the same emotional reason.
    No... currently there is only one conclusion to jump to. That's not emotional, the current empirical data simply doesn't allow any different conclusion at all. The way the universe is composed it does not show any indication of divine intervention and the nature of the universe doesn't show any signs of considering morality a keystone of physics. These seem to be the main themes on which people see reason to shove a God in there somewhere. We could reduce God to the ultimate cause of the creation of the universe but why such an abstract cause would still be something deserving the definition of God is beyond me because the definition of God implies morality such an event wouldn't need.

I find it more interesting why it is physical beneficial for complex hydrocarbon systems to think up such stuff aka in what way organic life follows physics as a sensible path within the event chains.
    "Sebaceans once had a god called Djancaz-Bru. Six worlds prayed to her. They built her temples, conquered planets. And yet one day she rose up and destroyed all six worlds. And when the last warrior was dying, he said, 'We gave you everything, why did you destroy us?' And she looked down upon him and she whispered, 'Because I can.' "
    Mangalore Design

Indefinitely Banned

I was drowning then prayed then felt calm then just swam even though i had never swam b4.
    I guess i just got my together at the right time.Still swimming by remembering just to kick my legs and arms was cool.
    I had never swam b4 ever.

That adreneline rush thing happened one time when i broke my ankle it hurt then suddenly my leg swelled and i felt no pain.
    I could not move the leg but felt no pain.

saneel's Avatar Senator

Kufr (disbelief): "I don't believe in gravity."

- You can't see it, yet it is.
    - You can't prove it, yet everything points to its existence.
    - One who ponders enough will arrive at it as a conclusion.
    - We are all each of us inescapably bound by it.
    - Your belief in or studying of it it does not increase it.
    - Your disbelief in or neglect of it does not decrease it.
    - One must accept its reality before embarking on deeper study.
    - We don't fully understand it, yet we recognise it as a fundamental of existence.
    - All objects' existence and intactness are contingent upon it.
    - Without it, nothing has any intrinsic weight.
    - Without it, there is disorder.

Blau&Gruen's Avatar Civitate

You can say the notion God is a product of language. The notion can be described as a result by people having used specific metaphors.

Metaphors i.e. a class of nouns and phrases within a theory of meaning.

Gravitation on the other hand comes from a measurable behavior of masses and can be described within Newton's and modern Physics in mathematical terms.

(An inertial) mass i.e. a quantitative measure of an object's resistance to the change of its speed.

You can describe products of language in mathematical terms, too. But honestly said this is very boring if you start to count.

It should be mentioned further that one in religious language(s) means 'unique for' and not 'a (measurable) item'.

.................................................................................

Isaac Newton's law of (universal) gravitation

Every point mass attracts every single other point mass by a force pointing along the line intersecting both points. The force is proportional to the product of the two masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

F = the force
    m1,2 = the masses involved
    r = the distance between the masses
    G = gravitational constant (the theoretical factor of the force of gravitation that effects on a surface per mass independant of the involved masses and their distance)
    "=" means equal
    "_" means 'divided by the factor of ...'
    r^2 means the square product of the distance

Henry Cavendish determined G in an experiment 1798 (the Cavendish Experiment).

G is approximately 6.674×10−11 N m2 kg−2 (6.754 × 10−11 m3 kg−1 s−2)

N m2 kg−2 means "Newton (the measure for forces) per square meter (the suface) per kilogram (here for the mass)"

The unit N is equal to the amount of net force required to accelerate a mass of one kilogram at a rate of one metre per second squared.

Cavendish measured G implicitly, using a torsion balance invented by the geologist Rev. John Michell. He used a horizontal torsion beam with lead balls whose inertia (in relation to the torsion constant) he could tell by timing the beam's oscillation. Their faint attraction to other balls placed alongside the beam was detectable by the deflection it caused. Cavendish's aim was not actually to measure the gravitational constant, but rather to measure the Earth's density relative to water, through the precise knowledge of the gravitational interaction. In retrospect, the density that Cavendish calculated implies a value for G of 6.754 × 10−11 m3 kg−1 s−2.
    Everything from wiki, see Gravitation, Gravitational Constant and Cavendish Experiment.
    Patronized by Ozymandias
    Je bâtis ma demeure
    Le livre des questions
    Un étranger avec sous le bras un livre de petit format

golemzombiroboticvacuumcleanerstrawberrycream

/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/

I can just pick something up, let go of it and there - I have proven teh gravity! Rejoice!

If God is like that then presumably I just have to pray and god will appear before me, but no.

Or maybe I pick something up and drop it and god says "Ow!" because he was in it, but no.

Himster's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by saneel View Post
    Kufr (disbelief): "I don't believe in gravity."

- You can't see it, yet it is.
    You can feel it, measure it, experience it, calculate future events based on it, you can resist it, you can bend the rules of it.

- You can't prove it, yet everything points to its existence.

The activity of gravity as a force in the universe has been proven.

- One who ponders enough will arrive at it as a conclusion.

Pondering in that sense is pure and distilled intellectual :wub:

- We are all each of us inescapably bound by it.
    - Your belief in or studying of it it does not increase it.
    - Your disbelief in or neglect of it does not decrease it.
    - One must accept its reality before embarking on deeper study.
    - We don't fully understand it, yet we recognise it as a fundamental of existence.
    - All objects' existence and intactness are contingent upon it.
    - Without it, nothing has any intrinsic weight.
    - Without it, there is disorder.
    Great.
    So what does your half arsed musings on science have to do with the myths about gods, fairies, spooky ghosts and other metaphysical fables? Surely you weren't just posting because you love to copy and paste random things off the internet.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Blau&Gruen View Post
    You can say the notion God is a product of language. The notion can be described as a result by people having used specific metaphors.

Metaphors i.e. a class of nouns and phrases within a theory of meaning.

Gravitation on the other hand comes from a measurable behavior of masses and can be described within Newton's and modern Physics in mathematical terms.

(An inertial) mass i.e. a quantitative measure of an object's resistance to the change of its speed.
    This is comparison reminds me of Mordecai Kaplan:

"In our thinking about God we must avoid all those mental habits which issue in logical fallacies. The most common of these is hypostasis, or assuming the separate identifiable existence of anything for which language has a name. There is a considerable difference, for example, between the way a scientist thinks of gravity and the way most layman think of it. A scientist regards it as property or quality of matter, a descriptive term for the way masses of matter behave in relation to one another. The average layman, however, thinks of it as a force, an invisible something that acts upon masses of matter pulling them together. According to both conceptions, gravity is real and must undeniably be reckoned with, but the layman finds it difficult to regard gravity as real without at the same time thinking of it as a thing, an object, a self-existent being or entity."

Kaplan was a proponent of religion without supernaturalism which he saw as evolved ritual expressing collective cultural values. His own theology (if we can call it as such) was influenced by Émile Durkheim. Kaplan’s ideas are of particular interest to me because of my study of religion (or religious thought) as an evolved trait. Ironically (or maybe not so), I recently discovered that in the early 1900s, Kaplan studied anthropology with Franz Boas who is arguably the father of the modern field.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

Blau&Gruen's Avatar Civitate

This is an interesting remark about Mordechai Kaplan having studied under Franz Boaz.

Thanks, sumskilz.
    Patronized by Ozymandias
    Je bâtis ma demeure
    Le livre des questions
    Un étranger avec sous le bras un livre de petit format

golemzombiroboticvacuumcleanerstrawberrycream

Default Existence of God

New thread started as old one had to be disposed as per site owner's request. Long story short, these things are being done because of the recent slow downs and lags\503 errors that we are facing.
    Quote Originally Posted by GrnEyedDvl View Post
    Report large threads, 10,000 or so posts. I have no idea how many we have, but we need to close them and open new ones.
    Btw if anyone wants to report then please PM active moderators (who're online) instead of bulk reporting threads, it will be easy for us to manage then. Thanks.

Moving some of the recent posts from it, so that the continuity is not broken.

hey guys, this has nothing to do with the existence of God. Just thought i would post it here because it doesn't deserve itself a new thread.

Does anybody know what Monastica means in Latin. The forums' title is "Ethos, Mores et Monastica".

"we're way way pre-alpha and what that means is there is loads of features not just in terms of the graphics but also in terms of the combat and animations that actually aren't in the game yet.So the final game is actually gonna look way way better than this!” - James Russell, CA
    Just like the elephant animation, this Carthage scenario is actually in the game, it just has a small percantage factor for showing up, that's all...

Beware of scoundrels

Lord of Lost Socks's Avatar Primicerius

Google translate would've done the job. It's latin and it means "religion".

“The human eye is a wonderful device. With a little effort, it can fail to see even the most glaring injustice.”

If there was no god would all things be lawful?.