Thread: Identify that Tank/Ship/Plane/Artillery etc

Celtic Magister's Avatar Miles

Default Re: Identify that Tank/Ship/Plane/Artillery etc

Seems to me to be an Avtek 400 Protoype monoplane.
    ---Unit Modelers and battle map creators wanted!--- Discord: https://discord.gg/7qwdgr4

paleologos's Avatar You need burrito love!!

Avtek 400 prototype, is correct.

---Unit Modelers and battle map creators wanted!--- Discord: https://discord.gg/7qwdgr4

ISU-122.

Damn, those Soviet assault guns look all the same...SU-152, ISU-152, ISU-122 and so on...mess.

Edit: while we wait for confirmation, I'll ask you all...I have two things prepared, you want easier or harder one?
    Last edited by Sar1n; June 06, 2018 at 02:51 AM.

Spear Dog's Avatar Primicerius

hard

Jagdpanzer's Avatar Praepositus

Hard one please.

The harder the better.

So, I take it you're volunteering for bonus rep duty .

Here, I do not need the name of plane. I'm interested in the object circled in red. And I mean its actual designation, not what's inside.

Bonus rep for the one who can tell what is inside, why was it used, name of the plane and nickname of both plane and device. All of these things at once, not just one.

Jagdpanzer's Avatar Praepositus

Too easy, I'll pass.

OK, I think I've got most of it. The object is a Type II VK canister, it contains a modified Schwarzlose machine gun; an M07/M12 firing 8mm rounds (modified both to reduce it's weight and deal issues arising from it's sensitivity to both the climate and pressure of altitude), 250 rounds for the gun in a cloth belt and a gravity fuel tank.
    It was used because this plane pre-dates effective synchronisation of firing through the propeller. The Schwarzlose mg and the engine used in this prototype design didn't sync easily and the wing mounted canister was the easiest solution to a complex problem. A later design that saw a minor production run used a synchronised system.

One nick-name for the plane was 'Spider' in reference to the unusual configuration of the interplane struts, another nick-name also referring the struts was 'Star Strutter'.
    I read one other nick name referring to the plane, but is so general and generic to planes of this era that had dodgy handling (so, almost all of them ) that I suspect it may have been a misunderstanding of the author. That name was; 'The Coffin' - I think it's possible this was a nick-name for the VK canister.

The plane is an Ernst Heinkel designed, Hansa-Brandenburg D.I. or KD (Kampf Doppeldecker = fighter biplane), developed "...in 1916 to meet the requirements of the Austro-Hungarian Air Force (Kaiserliche und Königliche Luftfahrtruppen or K.u.K. Luftfahrtruppen)(Wp).

Correct. The Schwarzlose MG used rather unique variation on blowback mechanism that made it difficult to synchronize with propeller, and even when successful, it could only safely fire during narrow RPM window. Thus the standardized self-contained mounting, pretty much first example of gun pod, was developed.

As for nicknames, there is an amusing, if grim, coindcidence. The plane was nicknamed "Coffin", while the pod was nicknamed "Baby coffin", due to its shape.

This earns you 2 rep, but I need to scrounge up some. Meanwhile, it's your turn...

Got a bunch lined up for here , start with this one (not too rare obscure but needs esoteric knowledge):

There's a bit of a story behind this, so as much info as you can please. Has a nick-name or popular usage tag that is it's rightful nomenclature, I'd like that ID for you to get the rep.

*Shouldn't have said this gun is not rare - none of the seven versions of this gun are known to still exist, so, extremely rare! (the seven guns = 1 in Bougainville and 6 at Iwo Jima).
    Last edited by Spear Dog; June 09, 2018 at 11:06 PM. Reason: clarified original statement re: "...not too rare.."

Iwo Jima Franken gun maybe .
    Stinger .

I had seen it on some video on youtube just a few weeks back .
    100% mobile poster so pls forgive grammer

Yes the Stinger, or the Tony Stein Stinger - who won a posthumous Medal of Honor for his feats with this reconstructed aircraft tail gun (an ANM2 30.0cal LMG). Wikipedia credits Stein with putting the first one together from a salvaged crashed plane, to create a more mobile option to the BAR for assault situations, but that attribution maybe erroneous. The NRA website 'American Rifleman' gives a more detailed history that does not include Tony Stein in the adaptation from tailgun to LMG assault gun alternative to the BAR, (the BAR was considered more suited to defensive roles). It was originally developed, assembled and used in Bougainville, but later six guns were quickly put together by a Sgt Grevich (who was in on the original development in Bougainville) for the assault on Iwo Jima. The adaptions to the ANM2 30 were; an M1 Garand buttstock to replace the spade grips, and improvised trigger and a BAR rear sight and bipod stand.

I've also seen it referred to as the 'Marines Stinger'. The 'Franken gun' reference seems to be a later, frivolous, tag from the Smithsonian Channel's show 'The Weapon Hunter'.
    Last edited by Spear Dog; June 09, 2018 at 04:49 AM.

Yes, i love this guns very much .I hug the guns i work with everyday .

Cheeky. It was obvious on first glance that it's a H&K G3 derivate, but which one...

The magazine was the biggest giveaway. It's H&K HK33 SG1, a 5.56 NATO derivate of G3.

Quote Originally Posted by mad orc View Post
    Yes, i love this guns very much .I hug the guns i work with everyday .
    lol. You worry me a little bit mad orc.

Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    Cheeky. It was obvious on first glance that it's a H&K G3 derivate, but which one...

The magazine was the biggest giveaway. It's H&K HK33 SG1, a 5.56 NATO derivate of G3.
    Correct to the dot .
    +rep and your
    turn
    turn
    turn !!!!!!!

The easy one for now...

Too exotic! It must be a Soviet NKL-26, an innovation invented for the needs of the Winter War, but apparently it led to a dismal failure, due to its large weight.