Thread: Identify that Tank/Ship/Plane/Artillery etc

Spear Dog's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Identify that Tank/Ship/Plane/Artillery etc

Yes, the Sd.Kfz. 165/1, (wiki; - under Development:- Precursor), the Krupp contribution to an interesting development project mounting a 105mm field howitzer on a Panzer 4 chassis that extended the entire length of the war. The Sd Kfz 165 was first on the drawing board in 1939 and is claimed by Krupp to be the first true self propelled Artillery unit. Rhinemetall-Borsig also designed an almost identical vehicle ( a shortened pb IV chassis known as the Geshutzwagen iii/iv) and both contributed to the commissioned build of the final design, the Heuschreke (Grasshopper) 10. The main difference between the SdKfz 165 and the Rhinemetall unit was the Heuschreke had a detachable turret and a built in gantry to remove/mount the howitzer unit - it also carried an assemblage to tow the gun and turret as a field gun and use the chassis for munitions. The idea was that they would function as mobile pillboxes. Ironically, only 3 Heuschreke 10 units were built and none went operational, while 10 SdKfz 165/1 units where built and were eventually operational on the Eastern Front (where the photo is taken) - a case of the prototype being more successful than the actual commissioned AFV.

I thought identifying this unit would be a curious task, as this tank is widely misidentified as a Heuschreke 10 when you use google images. I propose that this is because Wikipedia caption their photo of it as a reference to the Heuschreke 10 article - and that misunderstanding has been perpetuated onto forums such as 'World of Tanks' and others. IMO opinion there are obvious visual differences, but when you select the images in google you get three obviously different tanks sharing the same designation. I spent a bit of time making sure I had my ID correct before posting.

Well done General Retreat and over to you. I find I can't rep General Retreat atm, could someone do that for me? Thnx.
    Last edited by Spear Dog; January 21, 2015 at 07:26 AM.

General Retreat's Avatar Policeman Pleb

Okay, it looks like search disruption doesn't actually work when it's rubber ducks. You'll all just have to be good and not go to Google.
    Swords of the Sea: 1066 has come and gone, the Danelaw torn down and a new kingdom built in the image of its Norman rulers. But with time, wounds heal and what is broken can be reforged. The Danes have returned with steel, and seek to reclaim what is theirs.
    The Great Expedition: Pax Anglia, one of Earth's great empires, sprawling across the stars. On their newly colonised planet of Nova Sydney, adventure awaits on the savage frontier - Henry Boyce steps forward to lead an expedition to pierce the Bushlands' wild heart.
    Winter War: Finland, 1939. The Soviet war machine has begun its indomitable advance from the east. Of all its neighbours, only Finland stands alone in defiance. Conscript Anton Bezrukov prepares for a quick victory, but the reality is far bloodier...

Aymer de Valence's Avatar Protector Domesticus

A German Somua S35? The shape/lines of that tank are very recognisable
    Cry God for Harry, England and Saint George!

agunter999's Avatar Senator

Yeh such a recognisable tank. The Germans captured loads.

Yep, that's the one. I picked it because I thought it looked funny.

All yours, Aymer.
    Swords of the Sea: 1066 has come and gone, the Danelaw torn down and a new kingdom built in the image of its Norman rulers. But with time, wounds heal and what is broken can be reforged. The Danes have returned with steel, and seek to reclaim what is theirs.
    The Great Expedition: Pax Anglia, one of Earth's great empires, sprawling across the stars. On their newly colonised planet of Nova Sydney, adventure awaits on the savage frontier - Henry Boyce steps forward to lead an expedition to pierce the Bushlands' wild heart.
    Winter War: Finland, 1939. The Soviet war machine has begun its indomitable advance from the east. Of all its neighbours, only Finland stands alone in defiance. Conscript Anton Bezrukov prepares for a quick victory, but the reality is far bloodier...

Another funny looking thing (just without the ducks ) -

Jagdpanzer's Avatar Praepositus

U.S. Model 1873 trowel bayonet. I swear to god that I didn't use google image search. I just googled trowel bayonet.

U.S. 1873 Trowel Bayonet. An improvement on earlier designs, the Model 1873 was the first trowel bayonet to see full production. 10" long and 3 1/2" wide bright spade shaped blade with blue socket marked "PAT.APR.16th72" and a swivel lock hilt . Black leather scabbard, fitted with a brass tip and hanging hook. Included with the bayonet is a removable wooden pommel, designed to make the bayonet more useful for digging.
    Source: http://www.icollector.com/One-U-S-18...eaths_i9386969

New picture.

What's the truck?

Haha it is pretty self explanatory looking at it but I, for one, can never look at a garden trowel the same way with that bayonet on my mind

Too difficult? It´s a variant of a truck which was built in very large numbers during ww2. Ask yourself why would somebody want to break down a truck in several parts.

My first thought was that it was an airfield tug used to maneuver aircraft into place. Then thinking about your hint up there, it seemed more likely it was going inside the aircraft - perhaps into one of those horrific Horsa deathtraps the airborne troops used to use to get light tanks and trucks into place.

Scrounging around on Google for "WW2 Airborne Truck" led me to here and then to the CCKW 353 Airtransportable. That right, or at least on the right track?

It's indeed an airborne variant of the GMC-CCKW truck, but I believe that it's a 352 (short wheel base) and not a 353 (long wheel base). The one in your second link is the one that I photographed.

What is this thoroughly ridiculous looking thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Jagdpanzer View Post
    It's indeed an airborne variant of the GMC-CCKW truck, but I believe that it's a 352 (short wheel base) and not a 353 (long wheel base). The one in your second link is the one that I photographed.
    Well, I tried to do some digging and all sources I browsed identify the Overloon air-portable CCKW as 353 *shrug*
    I got distracted by something else and forgot to post the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by General Retreat View Post
    What is this thoroughly ridiculous looking thing?
    That would be the Minenräumer III, a prototype mineclearing vehicle based upon the highly distinctive, thus a bit unsuitable for making things difficult, Panzerkampfwagen III chassis.
    börk börk

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrazine View Post
    Well, I tried to do some digging and all sources I browsed identify the Overloon air-portable CCKW as 353 *shrug*
    I got distracted by something else and forgot to post the answer.
    After staring at an older picture: It's a GMC CCKW 353, 2.5ton truck 6x6, G-508.

My bad.

Yep - all yours Hydrazine. I definitely prefer trying to work out what stuff is to posting my own pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by General Retreat View Post
    Yep - all yours Hydrazine. I definitely prefer trying to work out what stuff is to posting my own pictures!
    Don't we all..

The Polandball is just the usual anti-image-search thingy, I've been binge-reading the Polandball thread on WT forums.
    börk börk

Is it based on the Japanese Type 61 tank?

It is not.
    börk börk

agunter999's Avatar Senator

Looks like a fairground ride