Page 98 of 335 FirstFirst ... 4873888990919293949596979899100101102103104105106107108123148198 ... LastLast
Results 1,941 to 1,960 of 6690

Thread: Identify that Tank/Ship/Plane/Artillery etc

Sicknero's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Identify that Tank/Ship/Plane/Artillery etc

^ I found it in "Rommel's Funnies" by Thomas Jentz, if it's the same one.
    "A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself ... always a laborious business." A. A. Milne

Darkhorse's Avatar Praepositus

Ooooo historian discussion! Awesome!

Does Corelli Barnet record a similar vehicle?

Jagdpanzer's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Sicknero View Post
    I've seen this in a book somewhere...

Edit, found it I think though a different pic - Pz.Sfl.II with 7.5cm Kanone in an open turrent? The picture I'm looking at is of one in 1942, captured apparently after taking out three British tanks.
    Correct. It's an obscure vehicle. Achtung Panzer doesn't seem to know it, only Wikipedia has some decent background info. Funnily enough this shows up when you google its full name.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse View Post
    I wonder if this is that "wheeled Marder" I told you about TRK

(Richard Doherty reports in his book that a British unit advanced on a German position in North Africa defended by Marder vehicles, and to their surprise, one appeared to be wheeled or as having a pair of wheels.)
    Maybe, I was wondering the same thing myself. Only two were made and they were both shipped to Africa. They arrived in early 1942. One was captured by the British, the other one was lost on 5 June 1942. Do you have a date for the attack that Doherty described?
    Last edited by Jagdpanzer; February 18, 2013 at 07:17 AM.

"Most of the longer range tank casualties, in my opinion, where from 76.2mm guns on a MkII chassis (in one case on wheels), or 88s, chiefly the former. This gun appears a more dangerous enemy than the 88, being less conspicuous and very powerful. I wish we could acquire some."

PRO: WO201 / 542:Notes on main lessons of recent operations in the Western Desert, July 1942

R.Doherty A Noble Crusade

You can find an extract of Rommel's Funnies on the Pz. Sfl. II here. Scroll down to Post 115.

Ooooo historian discussion! Awesome!
    Only if I knew what I was talking about The two accounts do seem to match up though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jagdpanzer View Post
    You can find an extract of Rommel's Funnies on the Pz. Sfl. II here. Scroll down to Post 115.
    That's actually all of it re the vehicle in question, it's only a short book.
    It's an interesting quote above about the 88 vs the 76.2, I read something very similar just recently rating the latter a better weapon.

Next up, in a similar vein (not that I'm lazy or anything...)
    "A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself ... always a laborious business." A. A. Milne

Easy.

It's the Diana

Regarding the 88, it doesn't seem to be that amazing a weapon really, I think its legendary status stems from Arras, and how it was never obsolete as an AT weapon. It could use an HE shell as well, which is very important in any early war gun debate.

It's always worth remembering that later Pz IV's were never really outgunned, and the 75mm on the Panther had superior penetration over longer ranges to the 88.

Misconceptions over allied, especially British, fire-power are also common!

Hehe. I gave up long ago hoping to post an afv that you or DH wouldn't know

It's the Diana

Regarding the 88, it doesn't seem to be that amazing a weapon really, I think its legendary status stems from Arras, and how it was never obsolete as an AT weapon. It could use an HE shell as well, which is very important in any early war gun debate.

It's always worth remembering that later Pz IV's were never really outgunned, and the 75mm on the Panther had superior penetration over longer ranges to the 88.

Misconceptions over allied, especially British, fire-power are also common!
    Case in point It's a Diana. Photo I think is Tripoli January 42, one of six on their way to join Rommel.

88s, 75s, 76s etc yes, I've been discovering this in wargaming lately.

*Edit ... a moment, this one wasn't called a Diana sorry. It's an earlier version.
    Last edited by Sicknero; February 18, 2013 at 08:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sicknero View Post
    *Edit ... a moment, this one wasn't called a Diana sorry. It's an earlier version.
    7.62cm FK 296(r) auf 5t Zugkraftwagen Sd.Kfz.6 then.

Quote Originally Posted by Jagdpanzer View Post
    7.62cm FK 296(r) auf 5t Zugkraftwagen Sd.Kfz.6 then.
    Yes that's the name I have here. My mistake sorry, I thought it was also called a Diana until I read the page properly .

I'll rep you too (edit; after I've spread some around) and slip quietly out of the room...

"This initial version of the 7.62cm F.K. 296 auf 5t Zgkw was not the 7.62cm Pak 36 auf 5t Zgkw (Diana). As reported on 1 July 1942, the Diana was to be an improved model for Africa, different in almost every detail from the original series of nine."

New picture.

The Vengur's Avatar Bloodthirsty Lunatic

The T-15 was an experimental German-Czechoslovakian light tank developed by Škoda Works for the German armed forces from 1941 to 1943. The T-15 never entered mass production or combat, and only no more than five prototypes - including two in mild steel - were built.

Tier 3 light Premium in WoT.
    Quote Originally Posted by trance View Post
    I might have inherited the stature and alcohol consumption of our ancestors, but Vengur got the ruthless, psychopathic bloodlust.
    Quote Originally Posted by s.rwitt View Post
    New rule: -one player each session will be designated the "Vengur Handler". It is like a dog handler in real life but you have to also pay attention to where his weapon is pointed at all times, make sure he does not have access to a parachute while in a chopper, keep him from running into buildings which the rest of the squad is currently suppressing, etc. An AGM/ACE compatible leash has been added to VAS.

+rep. Your turn.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I might have inherited the stature and alcohol consumption of our ancestors, but Vengur got the ruthless, psychopathic bloodlust.
    New rule: -one player each session will be designated the "Vengur Handler". It is like a dog handler in real life but you have to also pay attention to where his weapon is pointed at all times, make sure he does not have access to a parachute while in a chopper, keep him from running into buildings which the rest of the squad is currently suppressing, etc. An AGM/ACE compatible leash has been added to VAS.

SAS Amatola, a Valour class frigate belonging to South African Navy.

It's worth removing any ID from picture.

Correct of course, +rep!

No point in removing it when the ship itself is so easy to identify.

Sorry, been a while away. I was hoping that someone will post a new picture when 24 hours expired, but apparently this was not the case.

I didn't censor this one, identification is unreadable anyway and censoring the emblem completely would be too annoying Still it's flipped.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	splash.png 
Views:	23 
Size:	258.4 KB 
ID:	268605

Edit: click on image to zoom it, it's a new feature of forums, ability to insert attachments directly into post like this.
    Last edited by Sar1n; February 27, 2013 at 02:08 PM.

Focke-Wulf Fw 62 it be.
    "We'll go to the front—and beyond it, if it'll save the galaxy. Sometimes you have to enter the darkness to save the light."