Page 64 of 178 FirstFirst ... 143954555657585960616263646566676869707172737489114164 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,280 of 3546

Thread: I'm currently listening to

Default Re: I'm currently listening to

I have recently become unhealthily obsessed with Lisa Gerrard, and her band Dead Can Dance.
    This woman has a phenomenal voice, one that is familiar from many film soundtracks, sounding like a strange mix of Eastern, opera and shamanic, 30 years after she arrived on the scene there's still no-one that sounds like her.
    <3
    So much love for this woman.

From the frenetic:

To the beautiful:

What an amazing singer!
    “My grandad always said, "You should never judge a book by its cover." And it's for that reason that he lost his job as chair of the British Book Cover Awards panel.”
    Stewart Lee

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

Dead Can Dance is an interesting band, indeed. One of the very first ones, which created new medieval songs or re-interpreted them for the pop scene.

Jews singing halleluijah ...lol
    Fun with retarded comments, even in this apolitcal thread, or what is it?

Quote Originally Posted by skh1 View Post
    What's so odd about that? It derives from the Hebrew hallel (praise)and yah (shortened form of YHWH or Yahweh, i.e. God).
    http://www.dictionary.com/browse/hallelujah
    It appears in the Psalms which is part of the Old Testament which is based on the Hebrew Bible which was written by ancient Israelites who were Jewish.
    Mr. Cohen's religion aside, it's a kick-ass song, just one of many from this sadly under-rated song writer who will be missed (at least by me).
    Cohen was (or is) not really underrated, he had his time especially in the 70s, and was/is still cult and even idol for folk-pop songwriters today, one actual example comes to my mind now: Laura Marling.
    I would merely say, Cohen is just kind of unknown by the young people nowadays.
    Last edited by DaVinci; November 22, 2016 at 03:41 PM.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

An absolute masterpiece from Nina Simone. Just amazing!
    “My grandad always said, "You should never judge a book by its cover." And it's for that reason that he lost his job as chair of the British Book Cover Awards panel.”
    Stewart Lee

Patrician Artifex

Yeah, Nina Simone, just great anyway.

Carole King - Tapestry

Released album 1971.

... which was enormous popular, a milestone of pop history, that made the way free for women in the pop scene, as singer-songwriters. Everyone knows or heard somewhere in life her song "A Natural Woman".
    Last edited by DaVinci; November 26, 2016 at 09:00 AM.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

LaMuerte's Avatar Senator

Listeners from our local classic radio station voted their yearly top 100. It's the second year Pergolesi's fabulous Stabat Mater finds itself on the top spot.

Delicious!
    Last edited by LaMuerte; November 27, 2016 at 01:28 PM.

Dracula's Avatar Praefectus

Pity if you choose music by who voted for it.

Incendio's Avatar Semisalis

I love military history and early music, both hobbies that I can't share with others to be considered strange nowadays, that's the reason I have very few friends having 31 right now, and also I am engineer lol, nothing related with history. In terms of early music, I listen mainly Renaissance polyphony and Baroque. I am interested in HIP, "historically informed performance practice". I am now listening "Salve flos tusce gentis" sacred motet for 4 voices TTBB composed by Guillaume Dufay (1397 - 1474) performed by Capella Sancti Michaelis, Currende Consort under direction of Erik Van Nevel. For 15th century polyphony my preferences are small male choir (no women at all) and if possible including instruments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xA_mRV3GPSo

LaMuerte's Avatar Senator

Nothing strange about military history nor early music . Anyways , thanks for the music , Incendio , much appreciated.
    Last edited by LaMuerte; November 28, 2016 at 03:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Incendio View Post
    I love military history and early music, both hobbies that I can't share with others to be considered strange nowadays, that's the reason I have very few friends having 31 right now, and also I am engineer lol, nothing related with history. In terms of early music, I listen mainly Renaissance polyphony and Baroque. I am interested in HIP, "historically informed performance practice". I am now listening "Salve flos tusce gentis" sacred motet for 4 voices TTBB composed by Guillaume Dufay (1397 - 1474) performed by Capella Sancti Michaelis, Currende Consort under direction of Erik Van Nevel. For 15th century polyphony my preferences are small male choir (no women at all) and if possible including instruments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xA_mRV3GPSo
    Wow that's really beautiful. Thanks!
    Stewart Lee

Meelis13's Avatar You fight like a cow!
    Citizen

Heidinn veor- dark age mod for M2TW now recruiting scripter/coder

Anna_Gein's Avatar Primicerius

Not into synthpop but this kind of collaborations scoring Hollywood titles are most of the time nice finds

Does anyone knows other synthpop that is like this? Kinda melodic, sad, a bit orchestral and with fascinating/ mystic vocals?
    Last edited by Kranos; December 10, 2016 at 12:57 PM.

DRUMMING :O
    Last edited by jockmcplop; January 03, 2017 at 03:59 PM.
    Stewart Lee

irontaino's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Citizen

Currently at work, with the entirety of "Freeman's Mind" playing on a playlist in the background
    Fact:Apples taste good, and you can throw them at people if you're being attacked
    Under the patronage of big daddy Elfdude

A.B.A.P.

Caelifer_1991's Avatar Vicarius

You might recognize this one from Top Gear. One of the best pieces of ambient music ever written:

Stewart Lee

Never gets old.....

Patrician Artifex

@ jockmcplop
    Brian Eno, Top Notch, one of the best music producers.

Here now my little "tribute" to Jennifer Turner.
    An almost complete unknown but genius us-american musician, a multi-instrumentalist and singer, and songwriter, and producer.
    Best summary about Jennifer Turner i found on the net: http://felpinspond.blogspot.de/2014/...guitarist.html

The ones who know Natalie Merchant's epic Tigerlily album know also Jen, if they experienced the according tour, as i did in my hometown.
    On this album, Jen is responsible for the guitar-work and some background vocals, and this right after she played guitar for just 4 years (an amazing at the time just 22 years old woman).

YT's:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Examples from this Merchant phase, 1995

Carnival

Jealousy

Wonder, at Letterman

A poor recorded but really original live performance from 1995

From Jen's album Adventure 1998 with her band Furslide (album, which i proudly own)

Something from Living Room, NYC, her band Inner, from album 2002 LoveTheOnlyWay

Two more from this album

(just ordered this album, before it is nowhere to find anymore)

Something with Hunter Lombard

At Living Room, NYC, acoustic guitar

Playing guitar with Joseph Arthur & The Lonely Astronauts (amazing artist and band anyway), Brussels 2007
    Last edited by DaVinci; January 26, 2017 at 04:13 PM.