Thread: Hardest factions

Default Hardest factions

Hello,
    I would like to play a really challenging game. Which fractions could be nice for this?
    I am bored of expanding every round.

Default Re: Hardest fractions

I dunno, something like 537/4214 ? Bit slow to work out without a calculator.

Without being a smart-arse I'd say try Seleucids, you'll probably contract a while before expanding

Ybbon's Avatar The Way of the Buffalo
    Administrator Emeritus

Massalia - 1 city and your neighbours hate you.

Civis

Massalia or Capua I'd say. Boii is also up there. If you put me under a gun and forced me to mention one it would be Capua. 1 turn, 1 city. You are boxed in by a Rome that hates you. Good luck!
    Plans within plans...

Quote Originally Posted by menawati View Post
    I dunno, something like 537/4214 ? Bit slow to work out without a calculator.

Without being a smart-arse I'd say try Seleucids, you'll probably contract a while before expanding
    The Seleucids aren't hard.

I'd say Massalia too. Don't know Capua though.

I just gave up my Hard/Hard Roman campaign, because it was.. well.. too hard. This has I think 5 reasons:
    1. the armies spawning when I lay siege to their cities (is this scripted or do they just coincidentally send a full stack reinforcements every time I lay siege to a city?)
    2. the rebellions (scripted)
    3. the rebellions (not scripted, due to bad public order, because of those ******* spies who keep causing unrest)
    4. the backstabs: I was fighting Macedon and Carthage, when the Greeks backstabbed me. I fought them, but after a year or 5 the Arverni AND Cimbri attacked me (in the same turn, never seen so many armies in Northern Italy)
    5. The Carthaginians bribing 3 of my cities, so I lost my foothold in Spain

The above all combined made me realise I should restart. Idk what the problem is, never played a 0-turn recruitment game before, perhaps I'm not used to it. Besides, my squalor levels got a little high, further decreasing public order.

Should I play M/M?

Anyway to answer your question: Rome, H/H (and being new to this as I am )

Quote Originally Posted by DionCaesar View Post
    Should I play M/M?
    It's why I chose to seriously play-test M/M 1-turn.

VH Campaign is bugged (too easy, odd effects) - VH battles gives serious bonuses. For me, then, I would love to see it balanced at M/M for all pretty experienced players (of Vanilla/other mods). M/M should be an interesting learning experience for all players, without over-facing any.

That gives people the option of down-shifting either or both to learn and practice; or up-shifting either or both to give a harder experience.

0-turn is then for those who like lots and lots of battles.

The AI remains pretty stupid. The scripted extras are to help facilitate a more 'realistic' style and put some effort into the campaign. The garrisons, particularly, are there to encourage an early assault, with potential casualties and I'd recommend the 45min timer to leave the possibility of sometimes losing; versus the need to take a decent army and properly invest a place.

The rebellions & invasion are to give the Roman player (who really starts knowing that he should have a much better than average chance of winning - because, if the Team have a made a good simulation, then they just will), who also starts with the biggest faction, a bit more of a challenge. Personally I found the Cimbri an excellent lesson in losing, just because those boys are large, nasty, brutish and powerful - a great example of a good simulation.

If there's no challenge it's not a game - just time-wasting entertainment.

Spike's Avatar Primicerius

I'll say Massalia, it's one city and.... wait... allready someone said dat...

Annokerate Koriospera Yuinete Kuliansa

Massalia 0 turn or Capua 0 turn actually sounds like a lot of fun to me. Shame!

Visarion's Avatar Alexandros
    Artifex

hardest fractions you say... well I never liked math!

Quote Originally Posted by Visarion View Post
    hardest fractions you say... well I never liked math!
    came here to post that.

Foederatus

ive started a campaign with Capua on h/vh and am having a blast! i haven't played all the factions yet but the first couple of turns made me take a step back and plan my expansion (i like to expand fast in the beginning). in comparison most other campaigns i usually just steamroll and get bored after i know im going to win. at first, you will start off in the red financially which makes it even more interesting i would recommend this faction to anyone looking for a challenge.

props and thanks to everyone on the RS team for this mod and its continued improvement!

also, forgive me if i missed it in the patch notes but is the cimbri invasion something new in 2.5? if so it looks like i have to replay the roman campaign as this sounds like a good challenge

You'll enjoy it. It's not bowel shattering difficult but it's definitely a challenge and requires all your focus.

Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by CTD_or_Bust View Post
    You'll enjoy it. It's not bowel shattering difficult but it's definitely a challenge and requires all your focus.
    LOL! i dont think i want to face any army that shatters anything in my body but a challenge is always fun. thanks for the quick reply.

Quote Originally Posted by foster34 View Post
    ive started a campaign with Capua on h/vh and am having a blast! i haven't played all the factions yet but the first couple of turns made me take a step back and plan my expansion (i like to expand fast in the beginning). in comparison most other campaigns i usually just steamroll and get bored after i know im going to win. at first, you will start off in the red financially which makes it even more interesting i would recommend this faction to anyone looking for a challenge.

props and thanks to everyone on the RS team for this mod and its continued improvement!

also, forgive me if i missed it in the patch notes but is the cimbri invasion something new in 2.5? if so it looks like i have to replay the roman campaign as this sounds like a good challenge
    Yes the Cimbri invasion is new. Still a bit of tweaking required to make those Cimbri want to stay in italy rahter than slink back through the Alps towards their home territories, but the guys working on the mod still (DVK and ur-Lord Tedric largely) have some ideas on improving that. I've not been active for a while due to real life commitments.

Under patronage of Spirit of Rob; Patron of Century X, Pacco, Cherryfunk, Leif Erikson.

Visarion's Avatar Alexandros
    Artifex

interesting... good addition...