Thread: Facton symbols speculation (for fun)

Default Facton symbols speculation (for fun)

Last speculation thread made by Blatta Optima Maxima was fun (to me), so let’s make another one...

I think that it would be fun to speculate what future faction symbols could be. They should symbolize in one picture what owning faction (or their ruling family respectively) stands for, or just show something that makes them unique and distinguishing.

The new factions that will be added in the DoM are:

- Dwarves
    - Dale
    - Elves

They already have their faction symbols, and I guess they will not be changed. Why should they? So the factions with unseen faction symbols are:

- Variags/Khand
    - Harondor
    - Far Harad

- Rhovanion
    - Beornings
    - The Shire/Hobbits
    - Minhiriath/Tharbad
    + 1 Emergent faction: supposedly Dorwinion

So, let’s guess... what would you make their faction symbols and why? What image first crosses your mind when you read/hear of them?

My try:

- Variags/Khand

As they are horse nomadic people (similar to real world Huns) I think that their symbol could be bow and arrow (similar to original Hun faction symbol). Otherwise maybe horse archer.

- Harondor

I really don’t know what makes them different from Harad and very unique. I get an impression that they are people influenced both with Gondor and Harad culture. Maybe Anduin river delta (Ethir Anduin), forget it, I don’t know, bad guess...

- Far Harad

They are (semi-) nomadic people of the desert, similar to Bedouin tribes. I guess that their faction symbol could be oasis, or palms, regarding the importance of that to desert people. I think that camels are out of question...

- Rhovanion

I really can’t think of something unique for them... As they were long under the foreign rule and enslaved, and now they are finally free, their faction symbol may be bonds, or chains broken.

- Beornings

Quite easy, obviously bear. Now, it could be bear head, whole bear or only the claw...

- The Shire/Hobbits

Hmm, I think that hobbit hole is their best known unique thing, so it could be theirs faction symbol. Unless, Aradan or Éorl will put pipe, tobacco, or even big hairy foot as it.

- Minhiriath/Tharbad

Ah, old enemies of Númenóreans… Tharbad in Sindarin means crossing place, and it was know by the great bridge. So, I think that the faction symbol will be the great bridge (in ruined, or repaired form, I don’t know was it repaired in the Fourth Age).

- Emergent faction: supposedly Dorwinion

When I think of Dorwinion I think of wine, or any other in the Middle-earth. Accordingly to that, I think that the faction symbol (if it will be emergent faction) will be grape or grape wine arranged in a heraldic manner. Or, as we were kidding, bottle or barrel, or maybe drunken man tottering.

Your turn...

P.S. If you are wandering why I have painted the factions, here is the reason:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Last edited by Jagmodo; April 14, 2012 at 06:42 PM.

Thangaror's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Facton symbols speculation (for fun)

Khand: Their officers bear dragons on the banners

Harondor: Probably similar to Harad's, with different colours/arangement

Far Harad: A sun

Hobbits: Tobacco leaf!
    I would rather have a memory that is fair but unfinished than one that goes on to a grievous end.

Great interest in my threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Thangaror View Post
    Khand: Their officers bear dragons on the banners
    Of course, how could I miss that?

Harondor: Probably similar to Harad's, with different colours/arangement
    I doubt that the faction symbol will be snake too. If I understand correctly snake is the symbol of the dominating noble house (looking at the Harad faction members), not the nation, if Harad could even be called that. Unless Harondor is the result of the civil war, similarly as Adûnabâr, so Harondor faction leader would like to keep similar faction symbol as Harad to claim right to Harad lands/possessions. Otherwise, I don’t know why they would use symbol of the House of Black Serpent.

Far Harad: A sun
    Have more sense than mine guess -> greater symbolic value.

Hobbits: Tobacco leaf!
    Or maybe this:

And when we are disusing faction symbols, one thing that I was wandering since I started to play this mod: Adûnabâr faction symbol. I think that star symbolize old Númenór (the lost glory of old...), but what is the meaning of the tree symbol behind. It is the symbol of the Shadow Cult, and symbolically shows who is actually ruling behind the throne, but how did you came to it? Is the Black Tree (,or how are you calling it?) some kind of polarity to the White Tree of Gondor; depiction of the White Tree destroyed; somehow converted to the Cult, Evil,...; or real sacred tree of the cultists? I would like to know more about it.
    Last edited by Jagmodo; April 15, 2012 at 08:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jagmodo View Post
    Or maybe this:

Which would lead to this...

Aikanár's Avatar no vaseline
    Blog Entries

SIW is still way better, but back to topic

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

Quote Originally Posted by athanaric View Post
    Which would lead to this...
    I could understand that if I learn German. Until that... What I did understand is that they are “high”, and that Gandalf is probably smuggling cannabis...

Quote Originally Posted by Aikanár View Post
    SIW is still way better, but back to topic
    SIW ?
    Topic anyway looks dead...

SIW ?
    Topic anyway looks dead...
    Sinnlos im Weltraum (something like "Senseless(-ly) in Space"). It's a Star Trek gag dub, featuring Picard as a foul-mouthed and violent drunkard, Q as a poof, and almost everybody else as inane idiots. A German classic (at least on the internet...). It's slightly more sophisticated than Lord of the Weed.

Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wbjnt30sRXI

These gag dubs are always a good reason to learn German.

edit:
    Stuff can also be found here (under "web original"). There are also various Swabian dubs of Star Wars, 24, and other merchandises.

Thangaror's Avatar Senator

I could understand that if I learn German. Until that... What I did understand is that they are “high”, and that Gandalf is probably smuggling cannabis...
    Almost! Good guess!
    The people of Middle-earth are drug addicts and thus created 'weed rings' who provided the weilder with THC all the time. But Sauron overdid it and built himself a giant bong (Mount Doom) until the weed was getting short and a war was started over it. Gandalf is just an addict (as everyone else) and Bilbo is the Dealer. Frodo is gay and prefers old men. Bilbo's birthday party is Wacken Open Air ("Once a year all evil, black men from Middle-earth gather here, to rock!") and Bilbo tells the children how to properly stretch cocain...
    I would rather have a memory that is fair but unfinished than one that goes on to a grievous end.

Quote Originally Posted by Thangaror View Post
    Almost! Good guess!
    The people of Middle-earth are drug addicts and thus created 'weed rings' who provided the weilder with THC all the time. But Sauron overdid it and built himself a giant bong (Mount Doom) until the weed was getting short and a war was started over it. Gandalf is just an addict (as everyone else) and Bilbo is the Dealer. Frodo is gay and prefers old men. Bilbo's birthday party is Wacken Open Air ("Once a year all evil, black men from Middle-earth gather here, to rock!") and Bilbo tells the children how to properly stretch cocain...
    Hahaha... History is written by the victors. It may be the truth from the Saruron’s side. Bagginses were liars anyway (Bilbo lied in The Hobbit, so who can prove that Frodo didn’t...)