Thread: HOI2 vs 3

Default HOI2 vs 3

A few questions before i buy HOI3 since i just played the demo:
    - Is it possible to assume military control of other countries as faction leader like in HOI2?
    - Are the weird geographical mistakes fixed in the most recent version?
    - Do you get to choose what year the game starts in (1936, 39, etc)?
    - Are brigade attachments no longer there at all?
    I should probably mention that i'll be using the Mac version lol

TheBromgrev's Avatar Ducenarius

Default Re: HOI2 vs 3

1) No. You can't assume military control. I find this to be much more realistic and challenging and overall better than the HOI2 method, which basically made people be spoiled and lazy since they could do what they wanted with impunity. That isn't realistic at all for a WW2 game. That said, the HOI3 allied objective system leaves much to be desired.
    2) Kind of. See this post I made and the thread the post is in: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...9#post11195689
    3) Yes. The For the Motherland expansion also has scenarios such as Operation Unthinkable, which are limited-scope battles rather than grand campaigns.
    4) They are there. In fact, the entire brigade system was completely redone, so you now build units that consist of 2-4 brigades, with a tech unlocking a 5th brigade. No longer will you use stacks of 30+ units. The decreased province size allows for a finer tune of control. If you haven't yet, you should look at an HOI3 AAR or Let's Play to see how the new unit system works, because it's a major change from HOI2 and one that's for the better.

Thanks. About assuming direct military control: i liked in HOI2 for Barbarossa and N. Africa b/c it was fairly realistic (and much easier) controlling your allied contingents as the Germans. Anyway I downloaded HOI3 and played it a little and am really liking some of the new features. However i'm also having problems with units "refusing" to enter certain provinces, guess i should have just bit the bullet and got the PC version to play that on my bootcamp partition lol.

Blau&Gruen's Avatar Civitate

Get a version that includes the addons.
    Patronized by Ozymandias
    Je bâtis ma demeure
    Le livre des questions
    Un étranger avec sous le bras un livre de petit format

golemzombiroboticvacuumcleanerstrawberrycream

The Semper Fi and For the Motherland expansions?

Blau&Gruen's Avatar Civitate

Yup, they add to the game and mods tend to include the features of the addons, e.g. the next version of I.C.E.
    Patronized by Ozymandias
    Je bâtis ma demeure
    Le livre des questions
    Un étranger avec sous le bras un livre de petit format

golemzombiroboticvacuumcleanerstrawberrycream

Aikanár's Avatar no vaseline
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Blau&Gruen View Post
    Yup, they add to the game and mods tend to include the features of the addons, e.g. the next version of I.C.E.
    This! I always loved ICE
    Reminds me that I've bought FTM and never played it till today

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

Being a Mac user can be really frustrating at times, not that you all probably care just fyi. wahhhh

fenir's Avatar Foederatus

A few questions before i buy HOI3 since i just played the demo:
    - Is it possible to assume military control of other countries as faction leader like in HOI2?
    - Are the weird geographical mistakes fixed in the most recent version?
    - Do you get to choose what year the game starts in (1936, 39, etc)?
    - Are brigade attachments no longer there at all?
    I should probably mention that i'll be using the Mac version lol
    No military Control. Sad because the allies did have a unified command.
    eg:
    Britian
    Canada
    Australia
    New Zealand
    South Africa
    bhatun
    Nephal
    et cetera... all under one command. Imperial Staff. Nope, paradox aren't that clued up.

weird geographical mistakes? Like being able to land a force in a province, any province with immunity?
    Where there are no limitations?
    Where every province is generic?
    Where you can't list your provinces at a glance?
    Or your resources, or your units per province, or factories per province, as long as they add to 10.
    Where all your airfields are on the coast?
    Where major naval bases are always so close to the enemy you can't use them, and some aren't inclided if they are too far away. more than 200km.
    Or where enemy units land have 30 days free supply without support?

You have a choice of starts like HOI2, yes, but thats where the games stop being the same.

Brigades are now complete units. You build 3 infantry brigades. 1 artillery and maybe an hq unit, and you put them together to make a division.
    And if you get sick of the generic dumbarse names, you have to rename them as you produce them, you cannot change the names on a spreadsheet.

All in all, it's a great game, if you like stupid happening regularly.

Sincerely

fenir
    Mr R.T. Smith - So you are just going to Charge into the Brisbane office with all your knights?

fenir - Yep!

Mr R.T. Smith -.....then what?

fenir - hmmmmm.......Kill them, ...Kill them all, let Sega sort them out.

Mr R.T. Smith -