Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 117

Thread: If you could prove there was no God, would you?

  1. #21
    The Laughing Man
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ascension, St. Helena
    Posts
    7,327
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Default Re: If you could prove there was no God, would you?

    Proof is irrelevant in the face of faith.

  2. #22
    basics's Avatar Auxiliarius
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Scotland, UK.
    Posts
    6,773
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Default Re: If you could prove there was no God, would you?

    " This thread operates totally under the assumption that there is no God. I am not suggesting that there is no God - but for the sake of the idea to be discussed within this thread - we shall assume that there is not."

    Lazarus,

    What you are asking is a question that only them who are convinced there is no God can possibly answer. Those that already know God cannot assume in any way that He doesn't exist. Indeed it can fairly be said that no man or woman, whatever they think they know, was born not knowing of the existence of God, why? Because God has built into each one knowledge of Himself no matter how small, it is there.

    So, it is not hard to see that knowledge at work as each one tries to eliminate God from their minds which is something they bring with their arguments concerning something that doesn't exist. It's a bit like Dawkins and his imaginary Memes. He just can't get God out of his system and he doesn't see it as others do. So you will forgive me if I don't participate.

  3. #23
    Lazarus's Avatar Equites
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    3,832
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Default Re: If you could prove there was no God, would you?

    Perhaps you could participate in the second question then. The "how far would you go to stop someone proving there was no God" (assuming such a thing could be proved)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Brian de Bois-Guilbert View Post
    the Church has only improved mankind in history

    For this there are words, but none that abide by the ToS.

  4. #24
    basics's Avatar Auxiliarius
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Scotland, UK.
    Posts
    6,773
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Default Re: If you could prove there was no God, would you?

    " Perhaps you could participate in the second question then. The "how far would you go to stop someone proving there was no God" (assuming such a thing could be proved)"

    Lazarus,

    Since the hypothesis cannot be proven my task is then to reveal what God has done for me and others that I know of. The whole object of the Gospel is to reveal to man that God does exist, is more alive than we are, and in an instant can change lives where lives need changing. It is far easier to say that than to try to prove the impossible.

  5. #25
    Drustan's Avatar Supai
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    319
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Default Re: If you could prove there was no God, would you?

    I definitely wouldn't. Religion improves many lives, either through giving people hope in the face of aversity or through charitable actions people carry out in the hope of some sort of reward.
    Last edited by Drustan; April 16, 2012 at 09:06 AM.
    "What? Men dodging this way for single bullets? What will you do when they open fire along the whole line? I am ashamed of you. They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..."- The last words of General John Sedgewick, killed by a sniper in the American civil war







  6. #26
    Macunaíma's Avatar Pili
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Hy Brazil
    Posts
    1,773
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Default Re: If you could prove there was no God, would you?

    I guess some people aren't reading the OP...


  7. #27
    Thanatos's Avatar Now Is Not the Time
    Citizen Moderator Emeritus

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    33,038
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Default Re: If you could prove there was no God, would you?

    Immediately. Truth doesn't care what some person's emotional state is, or that they need a crutch. People would, in this circumstance, deserve to know.

  8. #28
    Portuguese Rebel's Avatar Civitate
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Posts
    5,360
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Default Re: If you could prove there was no God, would you?

    I would absolutely spread around this proof (hypothetical of what such thing might consist as proof in this case). some people say that the idea of god brings comfort to the poor and the ones in need. Maybe the problem with this idea of comfort is really a problem. Often it stops people from moving to try solutions and improve their situation. Plus it would probably stop people doing some really nasty stuff with god as justification.

    Beyond this i must say there is absolutely no proof that would convince religious people!

    What you are asking is a question that only them who are convinced there is no God can possibly answer. Those that already know God cannot assume in any way that He doesn't exist.
    Because they have reduced cognitive abilities? Aren't able of abstract thinking? Have a mental disability?


    "Yes, I rather like this God fellow. He's very theatrical, you know,
    a pestilence here, a plague there... He's so deliciously evil."
    Stewie, Family Guy

  9. #29
    Lazarus's Avatar Equites
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    3,832
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Default Re: If you could prove there was no God, would you?

    Quote Originally Posted by basics View Post
    Since the hypothesis cannot be proven my task is then to reveal what God has done for me and others that I know of. The whole object of the Gospel is to reveal to man that God does exist, is more alive than we are, and in an instant can change lives where lives need changing. It is far easier to say that than to try to prove the impossible.
    There is no proof for the existence of God though. The gospel and your own personal visions are not proof (I'm not at all suggesting they're wrong. They're just not proof). There is also no proof for the lack of existence of God. The hypothesis operates under the assumption that proof that there was no God existed.

    Quote Originally Posted by mindOverdrive View Post
    I guess some people aren't reading the OP...
    and I even bolded the important parts and everything
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Brian de Bois-Guilbert View Post
    the Church has only improved mankind in history

    For this there are words, but none that abide by the ToS.

  10. #30
    Himster's Avatar Centurio Primus Pilus
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    An arbitrary, specific yet fleeting point.
    Posts
    8,057
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Default Re: If you could prove there was no God, would you?

    Nah, I wouldn't want to take alcohol from alcoholics, nor delusions from the delusional.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

  11. #31
    God-Emperor of Mankind's Avatar Apperently I protect
    Moderator Emeritus

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Malmö, Sweden
    Posts
    21,689
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Default Re: If you could prove there was no God, would you?

    Yes, yes I would. No idea how that proof would look like since well, how can you give proof that something doesn't exist ?
    Mean did someone deliver proof that unicorns doesn't exist or did we just conclude that they don't exist based on the fact that there are none around.
    But as Portuguese Rebel stated, that it gives hopes to millions is no reason to withhold it.
    They should have hope in themselves, their families, loved ones and so forth, they are far more relevant and likely to help you.

  12. #32
    Taiji's Avatar Tribunus
    Artifex

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    10,686
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Default Re: If you could prove there was no God, would you?

    Quote Originally Posted by TB666 View Post
    Yes, yes I would. No idea how that proof would look like since well, how can you give proof that something doesn't exist ?
    Mean did someone deliver proof that unicorns doesn't exist or did we just conclude that they don't exist based on the fact that there are none around.
    But as Portuguese Rebel stated, that it gives hopes to millions is no reason to withhold it.
    They should have hope in themselves, their families, loved ones and so forth, they are far more relevant and likely to help you.
    You don't actually say why you would attempt to ruin the theistic beliefs of other people if you could.

    Do you have a reason? What is it?

  13. #33
    Tankbuster's Avatar Analogy Nazi
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    5,227
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Default Re: If you could prove there was no God, would you?

    Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
    [B]Whether you believe in God or not, surely you can agree that the idea of a compassionate being who will be there to notice us when we're gone, who has created another life where we can be eternal is a comforting idea.
    Many ideas are comforting, but that's not a good reason for believing in them.

    Part of growing up is actually to learn how to live your life without comforting delusions, and to focus on what is actually true.
    Would you shatter that idea, keeping in mind that so many people believe it?
    That is true for every established idea, and is irrelevant.
    That some people even rely on it to function in their day to day?
    I actually doubt that that is the case, but regardless: it's a problem that can be overcome. I've never heard of anyone who has committed suicide over a deconversion.
    That some people have built their entire lives around that idea?
    An excellent incentive: others don't have to make that mistake.
    The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath
    --- Mark 2:27

    Atheism is simply a way of clearing the space for better conservations.
    --- Sam Harris

  14. #34
    God-Emperor of Mankind's Avatar Apperently I protect
    Moderator Emeritus

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Malmö, Sweden
    Posts
    21,689
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Default Re: If you could prove there was no God, would you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Taiji View Post
    You don't actually say why you would attempt to ruin the theistic beliefs of other people if you could.

    Do you have a reason? What is it?
    Isn't the truth a valid reason enough?

  15. #35
    Lazarus's Avatar Equites
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    3,832
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Default Re: If you could prove there was no God, would you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tankbuster View Post
    Many ideas are comforting, but that's not a good reason for believing in them.

    Part of growing up is actually to learn how to live your life without comforting delusions, and to focus on what is actually true.
    That's not it at all... Don't get me wrong - I don't want the CEO of my bank or World Leaders to consult their imaginary friend on important decisions, but you can't deny such a delusion does some good for the world. Gives people meaning.

    The word of God (when untainted) also promotes peace and compassion which is quite hard to come by in strangers. Some people need to think they're part of something bigger before they'll even consider altruism.

    I consider the fact that it's comforting certainly good enough reason to let people believe in it. I've been to a few mental institutions and aged homes on business, and I've seen numerous people being told their spouse is "Oh, just out at the shops, getting something" when in fact the spouse is dead. The idea being you want to spare these people the pain that comes with such a depressing realization.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tankbuster View Post
    I actually doubt that that is the case, but regardless: it's a problem that can be overcome. I've never heard of anyone who has committed suicide over a deconversion.

    An excellent incentive: others don't have to make that mistake.
    Imagine how someone like Mother Theresa would react to finding out her entire lifes work had been for nothing. That there was no reason, no rhyme, essentially nothing to her life. People may not commit suicide but such an Earth shattering realization surely has the potential to cause some serious damage.

    I'm not saying that you're wrong, just some thoughts on what you posted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Brian de Bois-Guilbert View Post
    the Church has only improved mankind in history

    For this there are words, but none that abide by the ToS.

  16. #36
    Spitfire -WONDERBOLT!'s Avatar Chugen
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Canterlot Castle, City of Canterlot, Equestria.
    Posts
    2,348
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Default Re: If you could prove there was no God, would you?

    That would depend on if or if not there was an afterlife, however I think probably my answer would be, HELL NO. World is too messed up with him/her, we don't need people latching on to world leaders as gods, people have religion, because they want religion, and there not being a god isn't gonna stop them, they'll either latch on to a moral and fracture off, or they'll try and kill those who say there is no god.

    Col.32 For an independent Cornish, and English Parliment, within a U.K. that Includes Scotland!

  17. #37
    Pontifex Maximus's Avatar Milka Maniac
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    48,320
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Default Re: If you could prove there was no God, would you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
    You rush to your local paper and eagerly hold your evidence in your hand so that you can spread your magnificent finding. The question is - do you?
    Absolutely not. I would write a book based on my evidence and sell it in book stores for $29.99. The answer is yes though, about spreading my news. People that use religion for comfort are just kidding themselves.



  18. #38
    Taiji's Avatar Tribunus
    Artifex

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    10,686
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Default Re: If you could prove there was no God, would you?

    Quote Originally Posted by TB666 View Post
    Isn't the truth a valid reason enough?
    No.

    For example: "You're on your deathbed but you're not worried about dying because of the afterlife? - Well you, you should worry about dying because it's true that there is no afterlife."

    And another: "Think you can let yourself off the hook for that 'sin' that isn't affecting anyone? - Well you, keep feel guilty about it because there's no loving God that's forgiving you."

    etc. etc. etc.

    You inflict upon a person whatever they are managing with their, in other respects silly, beliefs, if you don't remove the need for the belief.

    An analogy for you: You might well have a better design for a house, but do you seriously think I'm going to be better off if you come and knock mine down, leaving me with the rubble, for that reason alone? Of course you don't.
    Last edited by Taiji; April 18, 2012 at 09:57 AM.

  19. #39
    Phier's Avatar Living in Gomorrah
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    21,654
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Default Re: If you could prove there was no God, would you?

    I have a fear here.

    Lets say I had this proof, I could post it anonymously on the interwebs so I could avoid any retribution that sort of thing.

    I'd still be very hesitant to use it.

    Many people are obviously easily lead and illogical. Religion is a mostly benign filler which keeps them occupied.

    Now imagine the religious masses transferring those unprovable and illogical beliefs to something less benign like politics. Its obvious many treat their politics like religion, where logic is not a factor, only the philosophy. Now think of a few billion people who naturally seem to lack skepticism thrown into various political philosophies with religious fervor and without religious rules?

    I think those who are natural skeptics somehow think that if religious people were to get rid of god they will magically now be skeptics as well. I think thats a foolish assumption.
    Dumbpiphany: The realization that the reason the entire conversation has been difficult to follow is that you're talking to an idiot.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to sumskilz again.
    My shameful truth.

  20. #40
    Pontifex Maximus's Avatar Milka Maniac
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    48,320
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Default Re: If you could prove there was no God, would you?

    Think about those who already apply religion to politics and uses that as a means to deny other human beings their rights.

    The thing is, most people I meet whether religious or not tend to be pretty logical. They are capable of reason, but they merely suspend the rules of logic and reason they apply to anything else they encounter when they deal with religion.



Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •