I went through the PFM thread and collected all relevant posts on the post-FotS sound issue.
Maybe it's the game looking up sounds for units by index rather than by their ID given in the database?

Here's some history:
Quote Originally Posted by Radious View Post
sound problem in units table, where bow units sounds as cannons/muskets. I wasnt able to find what is causing it and how to fix it, but some bow (not all) sounds like that.
Its in rows, sound bug is in rows. it wrongly reads tables and getting infected by original files. For example if in original units.table in row 6 is some rifle/cannon unit and in yours 6.row is bow unit it will somehow get the rifle/canon sound. tested it like that and noticed some bow got cannon sounds and some rifle sounds when they are in same rows as original musket/cannon. Very very weird issue.
Some workaround solutions:
Removing superfluous original rows
Quote Originally Posted by Smirk View Post
I have managed to clear up all my sound problems by going through all my modded packs and removing all 'official clone' lines. By this I mean any line that is in your mods but is unmodded.
So if you have copied the whole of the units file but only changed some of them, then remove all entries that you HAVEN'T changed.
Worked like a charm for me. No more sound issues.
Quote Originally Posted by DARTH VADER View Post
I had some cinematic and test units left overs and once I deleted them the problem was gone for the units I tried (even though I had made all the other adjustments the presence of these units provoked the bug). But needs more research.

Giving modded units unique IDs
Quote Originally Posted by DARTH VADER View Post
It seems I have found how to fix this problem. I made some tests and it worked. I will make now an open beta of my mod so more test it (I have no time for that).
What I did
-Added the original unit_tables unmodded.
-modded it (or you add a working TSV).
-changed all index numbers of the units so to not use vanilla index numbers (the column unknown33), for example give +2000 to all.
-deleted "cinematic" and "test" units that are not used by the game.

I hope the above mentioned procedure works 100% and I share it so everybody is relieved from this enigmatic sound bug problem.
This is supported by the "Add to All" and "Renumber" functions in the Edit submenu of number columns' context menu in PFM.

Adding fake lines to move modded units into place
Issue with messed sounds is very problematic, i was able to bypass it completely in FotS by creating fake rows, but calculations for this are so damn complicated that if it gets wrong again i will probably hang myself. We must find easier and permanent solution or modding in Shogun will be severely harmed by this.
game somehow reads sounds from original units.table no matter what you do in yours. If you rifle/bow units are in same like as original cannons/muskets etc it may get totaly wrong as we know bow with cannons etc. To fix it you msut avoid placing units in the same line as those original and basicaly swap the positions. For that you need many fake rows and after that testing beggins since moving by 1 line can make a huge difference.

Every mod must have it in different way since every has using different units/rows and stuff like that so my build wont work on others. Took me and my friend about 2 days and about 40 testing attepmts before we managed to fix it. OR atlest nobody reproted yet on any bow/rifle unit wrong sounds in my RotS, SJ and FotS versions.

What we know for sure, issue is in units.table, not saying its PFM issue but game has problems with this table if its modded. As i said bypassing it with fake rows as i did is extremely time consuming, difficult and if they add new units or custom units it may get all wrong again.

So if there will be any easier fix for this, we mst find or as i said modding of shogun will be cripled.

If there are any other approaches and/or progress of research regarding this, please post here.