View Poll Results: Are you interested in this course?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it looks like it could be fun and informative.

28 70.00%
  • No, this doesn't interest me at all.

4 10.00%
  • I'd have to know more information before giving an answer.

3 7.50%
  • The concept sounds good, but this particular subject matter doesn't interest me.

6 15.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Something different: A History class on The American Civil War...?

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    took an arrow to the knee Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Something different: A History class on The American Civil War...?

I would say that it's a safe assumption to say that if someone plays a Total War game, they are interested in history. If they weren't before buying a game, they probably became interested after. However, not everyone is so interested that they would perhaps sacrifice time out of their class schedules to take an extra history class, or even become a history major like myself. Or even worse, the specific subject they are interested in learning more about isn't offered in their academic environment (I have been having this issue for a while at my school).

I realize that the internet, specifically a forum devoted to a series of games, is hardly the ideal place to discuss and teach academic subjects. But I don't mean for this to replace actual academics, and I would make that intention known from the very start. I would want this program to be a fun and informative way for people to learn things they otherwise wouldn't have a chance to learn.

What I am planning on offering is a minimum 6 week course, covering the background of the American Civil War all the way until the end. Here is a rough lesson plan (subject to change) of what I have in mind.

Outline
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Forgive me for the format

1. Week 1: Background
    a. The issue of slavery and state’s rights
    b. Harper’s Ferry raid
    c. Start of secession
    2. Week 2: 1861: A House Divided (Alt. Title “Off to War”)
    a. Military
    i. The opening salvos
    1. Fort Sumter
    2. First Battle of Bull Run
    3. Blockade
    b. Civilian
    i. The call for volunteers
    ii. Davis elected to president
    iii. Richmond named Confederate government
    iv. Suspension of Habeas Corpus by Lincoln
    v. Border States
    vi. Conscription
    3. Week 3: 1862
    a. Military
    i. Confederate success
    1. Jackson’s Valley Campaign
    ii. Union Failures
    1. Peninsula Campaign
    2. Antietam
    3. Fredericksburg
    4. Shiloh
    iii. Something new
    1. Iron ships
    b. Civilian
    i. Davis inaugurated as president
    4. Week 4: 1863: The Universe of Battle
    a. Military:
    i. Chancellorsville, Vicksburg, and Gettysburg
    1. The loss of Jackson
    ii. Chattanooga Campaign
    b. Civilian:
    i. Enrollment Act
    ii. Emancipation (1862-63)
    1. What it meant for the South
    2. Colored Troops
    iii. NYC Draft Riots
    5. Week 5: 1864: Most Hallowed Ground
    a. Military:
    i. U.S. Grant becomes Lieutenant General, and general in chief.
    ii. Total War
    iii. Sherman’s March
    iv. Overland Campaign- Wilderness
    v. Franklin-Nashville Campaign
    1. Devastating loss of Confederate leadership at Franklin, 6 generals dead.
    vi. Mobile Bay
    b. Civilian:
    i. Presidential Election, Lincoln vs McClellan
    c. Focus Look:
    i. Prisons
    6. Week 6: 1865:
    a. Military:
    i. Richmond-Petersburg Campaign (1864-65)
    ii. Lee becomes General in Chief
    iii. Appomattox Campaign
    iv. Johnston Surrenders (last major CSA army to surrender)
    b. Civilian
    i. Capture of Davis
    ii. Assassination of Lincoln.
    c. Aftermath

Additional things, to be discussed throughout the course

a. Social issues:
    i. The issue of emancipation and its effect (already mentioned).
    b. Economic issues:
    i. Blockade and blockade runners
    ii. Confederate currency
    c. Political issues
    i. Acts of Congress and Presidents
    d. Evolution of warfare and medicine
    i. Demise of cavalry
    ii. Reserve Corps/ Prison systems

Like I said, this is just an idea. I'm trying to get some reaction before I work on the finer points of the course. But I believe you get the general idea.

As far as assignments go, StealthFox and I are working out the finer points, but the assignments look like they will be along the lines of analysis of sources, discussion questions on short readings, and a final essay based on an approved topic by the teacher.

So, based on this information, how many of you would be interested in taking such a course?
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Blog Entries

Default Re: Something different: A History class on The American Civil War...?

...Well so far I have only gotten one answer.

Some feedback would be nice.

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Blog Entries

Alright guys, I have gotten 4 people who have voted "yes" but I have no idea who you are, so if this does eventually take off I won't have any way of really informing you directly. So if you could leave a post here or PM me or something that would be great.

I am the 5th one who voted "yes". I am interested, even though I have a very limited knowledge on the subject.
    Aerocool Xpredator / i7-2600k / ASRock Z68 Extreme7 Gen3
    SLI Asus GTX 580 DirectCU II / G. Skill DD3 1600 2x4gb
    XFX 850 Watts Black Edition / ST21000524AS Barracuda 7200 rpm 1 TB / LG W2353

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Defensore View Post
    I am the 5th one who voted "yes". I am interested, even though I have a very limited knowledge on the subject.
    Well, that would be the point of taking the class, wouldn't it?

Id be very intrested to follow this, on a very intresting and controversial subject

The Orcs of Gundabad Erin go Bragh FROGS

When I came back to Dublin I was court marshaled in my absence and sentenced to death in my absence, so I said they could shoot me in my absence"
    Brendan Behan
    The Irish won an Empire
    The Scots ran an Empire
    The English lost an Empire

"When I told the people of Northern Ireland that I was an atheist, a woman in the audience stood up and said, 'Yes, but is it the God of the Catholics or the God of the Protestants in whom you don't believe?"
    - Quentin Crisp

There is one weapon that the British cannot take away from us: we can ignore them.
    - Michael Collins

They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken.
    - Bobby Sands

rye8111's Avatar Libertus

I am very interested in history and would have voted yes if not for two reasons:

1.) I cannot vote yet, as of now I have only 23 or so posts.
    2.) I like history that is farther back in time, and has more... I'm not sure, maybe a different way of doing things?

Anyway, I love this idea and maybe someone should expand upon this!

Indefinitely Banned

I would be interested in enrolling in the course, if it is still being offered.

I'm interested! Just not sure how feasible this is as I have to manage my real life academics as well. That being said, I have a weak understanding of American history and even more so the Civil War. It would do me some good to learn.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected. - G.K. CHESTERTON

Indefinitely Banned

My knowledge of American History lacks, Middle Ages are more of my strong suit, but I would like to learn more about the Civil War nonetheless.

Blog Entries

Okay, here's the situation.

I'm still interested in teaching the class, but I have a feeling I still need a few more people before I can begin. I'll start putting together a full lesson plan if I get a few more yes votes.

Indefinitely Banned

I cannot vote yet, but you have a yes from me.

Let's hope more ppl show up then.
    Aerocool Xpredator / i7-2600k / ASRock Z68 Extreme7 Gen3
    SLI Asus GTX 580 DirectCU II / G. Skill DD3 1600 2x4gb
    XFX 850 Watts Black Edition / ST21000524AS Barracuda 7200 rpm 1 TB / LG W2353

Indefinitely Banned

Just voted yes, eager to see how this turns out. We need more people...

I would also like to take the class. Would be awesome to increase my knowledge on the topic.

When's office hours?

OK this sounds like a good idea, but I guess Ive been embittered by the overwhelming number of people who bought into the "lost cause" underdog propaganda of southern sympathizers after the war. We covered the Civil War in my AP US history class at school, and it was refreshing to hear the true nature of the war and its effects on American history and culture fully dealt with. I would appreciate a PM from the prospective teacher of this class. I do not mean to give a pompous impression or that I would troll or interfere, I would just like a discussion somewhere, perhaps even a fun little debate in the fight club, over the Civil War, its causes, effects, and nature of the conflict and the sociology, etc. Turned out to be slightly off-topic I guess....
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

This should be posted in our forums - done!

Minas Moth's Avatar Senator

I have voted yes and would be really glad to participate in this...

Hope I'm not too late.
    I voted yes. Hope there's some space for me.
    WIP. Watch this space. It'll be epic.

No, seriously.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast