Thread: An interesting conundrum

Default An interesting conundrum

well, I thought of this question last night, and I could not think of anyone who could answer it, so I decided to post it here and see what people say. Last night I was thinking to myself about ancient warfare and medieval warfare, then the thought occurred to me, in the heat of battle, as a common infantryman on the front line, how did you know friend from foe when the battle reached the really bloody stage, I could understand how the romans would know due to there shield, and also while the soldiers are in formation or if they are fighting say a european vs an asian/middle eastern army, but say england vs france, in medieval combat, it was rare for the foots soldier to have armor, he had to get it from looting the dead, and they didn't really have any suircoats, so if the battle got really bloody who would they know were who, and I don't mean while we could still see the formations but I mean when the fighting got really thick and you were basically intermixed with the enemy fighting for your life. How would you know friend from foe???
    Wil you play the game? the game of thrones.

KEA's Avatar Senator

Default Re: An interesting conundrum

Quote Originally Posted by FOR GONDOR View Post
    but I mean when the fighting got really thick and you were basically intermixed with the enemy fighting for your life.
    Hollywood.

In organized battles there was no "free for all brawl", but formations clashing. When, for example, two formations of hoplites clashed the real battle was considered over as soon as one side failed to maintain its formation. At this point in movies a lot of duells start with all guys preforming the most fancy martial arts moves. In history, a mass root started with the losing side being slaughtered on the run.

bleach's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: An interesting conundrum

there are a few reported incidents of "friendly fire" in ancient warfare, like the Battle of Delium, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Delium, where the lines got confused and different parts of Athenian side wound up killing each other. But in general it was as KEA said.