Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Kscott's Avatar New and Improved!

Default The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Well, by now just about everyone has atleast heard of this game. It has done wonders at taking an almost cult like series and turning it into a pop hit. With success comes critisim and this game has certainly taken some hard hits, but is all this critisim deserved? I will take a neutral look into the game and try to anyalze all of its major advantages and disadvantages.

For any new player the most noticable feature of this game is the graphics. To put it short, this game is beautiful. Play it infront of your grandparents and there is a good chance they will think you watching a television show. Smaller scope games such as sports games may have better graphics, but for a game with such a wide scope this graphics are revolutionary and will be the goal everyone tries to beat in the comming months. I often find myself just wondering around the world admiring the craftsmenship that was put into this game. With the new graphics came character custumization like never before. Instead of picking pre-determined faces, the player has complete control over the characters face, whith completly customizable shapes and colors. For the first time you can walk around with a White Redgaurd, or a blue orc. The graphics make the game very immersing and takes the meaning of Role Playing to an all new level.

After the graphics you will most likely notice the revamped combat system. Weapon fighting is no longer blocky and unweildy. Noww the weapon movements are very smooth and it almost plays like an adventure game. A particular bonus is spell casting. With the hit of a button you can cast a spell, so no longer do you have to put your weapon away to cast a spell. This makes it much more pleasurable to be a battlemage. Again, the battle improvements made it much easier to get immursed in the game for me.

After these two amazing strengths the player will most likely come to realize Oblivion's greatest weakness, diversity. While compared to most games Oblivion is still rather strong in this department, but compared to Morrowind it is terrible. Skills such as short blade and long blade were merged into a singular blade class. This happend with several of the skills. In every other apsect of the game their were loses aswell. The weapon types of crosbows, spears, and throwing knives have all completly disapeared from the TES universe. Armor was simplified as well. Pauldrons and Breast plates were merged into a single piece of Armor, and in some cases the armor was so simplified to being a body piece and a head piece. On top of that the variety of armor and weapon materials also took a big hit. Short commings such as these can be noticed in all aspects of the game.

Guilds in Oblivion have their ups and downs. The main problem is simply the lack of Guilds. We lost the East Empire trading company, the Dunmer Houses, the Tribunal Temple, the Imperial Cult, the Imperial Legion, and the Mora Tang, while all that we gained were the Arena and Dark Brotherhood. There are several other quests that try to imitate guilds, but they are far from being the real thing( Knights of Thorn etc etc.). However, dispite the lack of Guilds, I do think the Guilds themselves have been improved. The quests just seem so much more real. The Arena was not a terribly long questline, but it certianly is very enjoyable playing in. The Dark Brotherhood is not only intresting, but very possibly the most enjoyable part of the game period. I think just about anyone will find it enjoyable to finish these guild quest, but once over the player will be begging for more.

Oblivion's biggest weakness in my mind is the leveling up system. As the character gets stronger the enemeies get stronger. At first this sounds like a great idea. The game will remain challenging. The problem is that the enemies get stronger when you level up. If you like to roleplay and choose to do a speed character for example you may very well ingore the strength stat. If you do this then you will soon find yourself in a world much stronger than yourself. This has lead to people cheating the system and playing the system to make sure they keep the upper edge. This feature is very damaging to the roleplay. Another problem is it actually makes the game easier. If you play as a strenght character as most do you will never find any problems and yo ucan go anywhere in the world and be the strongest. I much prefer having areas with harder creatures meant for higher level characters. It simply is more challanging and more true to the role play experience.

One of the more hidden aspects of the game that can greatly enhance its longevity is the lore. I am yet to find any other game that goes so in detail into the world it creates. Read some books in-game, you will be amazed at all the intresting things you will learn and how vast the TES universe really is.

There are many other aspects of the game, but those are simply I view as most important. I will tell you that this is a game of suprises. Explore and you are bound to find some little place of intrest. This game is one of the better RPG's I have played and dispite it's weakness's is certainly worth the money you have to pay for it. If you haven't go get it now, you won't regret it.

Regards,
    Chormaqan

Patron of Basileous Leandros I/Grimsta/rez/ Aemilianus/Publius/ Vizigothe/Ahiga /Zhuge_Liang Under Patronage of Lord Rahl
    MY TWC HISTORY

Default Re: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

its 2 short, to few quest compared to morrowind, ok some are extreamly fun like the thieves guild last ones, but......bandits on daedric armor...... lol

History is a set of lies agreed upon.
    - Nappy B.

The only fact in history.

The Black Reaper's Avatar Hell's Gate

they have deadric armor due to what Kscott says... when you level up bandits get stronger to but when you reach certain levels to their armor will change to....

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 4.0 GHz | CPU Cooling: Coolermaster Hyper 212 + | Mobo: Asus m4a79xtd evo
    Ram: Corsair XMS3 2x4GB DDR3 1333 MHz | PSU: Antec Truepower 650W | GPU: Evga Geforce GTX 580

Under the Patronage of the Honorable Nicholas Rush

Turkeys!'s Avatar Praepositus

i think morrowind even though its old is still better then oblivion since its bigger and more quests and mods
    Like Neverwinter Nights? Wondering where to go now that the old NWN Vault is gone? Come visit the new one at http://neverwintervault.org/!

The Good's Avatar the Bad and the Ugly

Yeah, I do agree that weapon variety is terrible, they dropped spears, throwing knives, darts, crossbows, and there is only one "type" of bow, a bow, no long bow or short bow, they are all just "bows".

I was dissapointed about the lack of settlements in Cyrodiil, supposedly the capital of the Empire of Cyrodiil. The Imperial City was surprisingly small, smaller than Morrowind's Vivec, and I was kind of dissapointed about how most cities didn't look remotely Roman in architecture ( the Imperials are supposed to be the "Roman" culture and race in the Elder Scrolls series ). Only the Imperial City and Anvil looked "Roman" ( actually, Anvil looked a little more like a Spanish town ). Most of the other towns looked English, although Bruma looked like a Dark Age era Scandinavian town.

I'm also upset that by the time you have reached level 20, you see ordinary Marauders ( Remember, "Bandits" wear light armour ) wear Daedric, and Ebony armours. The least the creators could have done to solve this issue, could have been to only allow Bandit Ringleaders, and Marauder Warlords to wear the expensive stuff.

There are plenty of great things about Oblivion, however. I love the character face editor. The combat system is also very good, Morrowind was pretty much roll the dice combat, you aim, and you think you will hit, then miss ( due to low skill level most of the time ).

I once tried to make a Nord character named Culann, and I made his skin colour blue, then wielded a warhammer, and he looked exactly like a Hound of Culann from Barbarian Invasion!

Kscott, that was a good review, most people leave out the "weapons variety issue" when reviewing, and I agreed with most of what you said.
    Last edited by The Good; January 29, 2007 at 11:26 PM. Reason: I left out a few details.

I agree Lucius I wish they just gave a graphical update to the morrowind imperials.
    Like Neverwinter Nights? Wondering where to go now that the old NWN Vault is gone? Come visit the new one at http://neverwintervault.org/!

Slaxx Hatmen's Avatar This isn't the crisis!

I concur with Turkeys! and Lucius, the Imperials suck this time around! It seems like Bethesda jumped on the LOTR bandwagon(Thanks to PJ's films) and made them Gondorian ripoffs. Now I sorta tried to role-play this as a military reform by Septim but the lack of towns smack dab in the middle of the capital province of the Empire kinda shot that bird down.

Still like RTW Oblivion has been saved thanks to the modders. OOO and many others are my saviors for this game.
    Under the patronage of Basileos Leandros I

I know, it really takes away from the experience of the game that there are only nine major towns ( I don't dare call them cities, they are too small looking for that ).

Oh and another thing Why the hell do g uards chase me for 5429845376356miles !!!!??????

Realistically, guards wouldn't just stop chasing you...

christian_crusader's Avatar Foederatus

i played oblivion forever on the old 360, and at first i loved the game. even my wife beat it. but then we started noticing the flaws. i agree that enemies in the best armor blows, and ofcourse your so much better off not getting a horse, but to us, the worst problems were ones that i haven't heard anybody mention. i recognise that our beliefs are old fashioned in this progressive world, but is it just me, or was this game made for strictly homosexuals and feminist?
    i mean c'mon, does every weapon dealer have to be a woman? does every coward have to be a man? must i always receive my orders from a woman? does the champion of the arena even have to be a woman?
    now i know that in todays society men are supposed to wear pink ties and be instructed by women, but give me a break. new yorkers have turned television into feminist homosexual land, and now their getting their power lusting hands into video games. go to i.g.n. and see broke back mountain, open gamepro and read how the number one problem of video games is not enough female leads. and on and on and on.
    i know my opinion isn't gonna be to popular, but i had to say it. i loved morrowind, but i'm done with the series. i've turned off the t.v., and now its looking more and more likely that i'll have to turn off the video games.and now back to some total war.

Dont you think your exageratting that a bit?

it's the gods honest truth. do you think its a cooicidence that all the men on all the news channels are wearing pink ties every night? some chick on fox and friends admitted that they're trying to achieve a gender neutral america so women won't feel threatened. all i'm saying is when men bang door to door fighting to the death in freaking fallujah, they should get the credit instead ofjessica freaking lynch.
    i have no loyalty to a nation that will give a man life in prison for getting high, but at the same time will let women go home who murder their kids. if 99% of the people playing games are men, why do feminist care if women have strong lead roles? their lust for power makes me sick. if a man is sexist for wanting the characters in the games he plays to be men, then doesn't that also make them just as sexist for wanting them to be women?
    i know that view is unpopular these days, but its the way me and my wife feel. no offense meant.

Christian Crusader, I agree, but you are getting a little off topic for a game review thread, lets try to only talk about the review here.

yeah, i did go off on a tangent there, my apologies. 10 beers does that to a honky. oblivion was awesome graphics wise, i beat it multiple times, but by the end i was sick of it. i just hope for the next one they can tone down the non stop feminism.
    and you have to admit, when you win the arena and that little homo dude starts following you around, that really blows. fortunately i was in so good with the guards by then that they forgave me for stabbing him repeatedly and leaving him dead in the alley.

Yeah, I don't like the adoring fan either, they should have made the adoring fan a woman.

What!?! How could you not like the adoring fan you can do all kinda of things punch him, stab him, down him, knock him off a bridge with a club, let ogres eat him, ect. I mean come on the list goes on and on. As for the review(old though it may be) I agree with everything, and from what I've seen across the internet most everyone else does to.

I agree with a lot of the user's review. When I first picked up the game I was blown away visually by the game's graphics, its enhanced fighting system, and the ability to fully customize my character's face. This excitement lasted for about the first 15 hours of my first character. Having played Morrowind for a rough 300+ hours with loads of different characters, I soon found I was sorely disappointed by Oblivion. Even after starting over with 3 or 4 new characters I found that the flaws of Oblivion were universal, and not specific to my character. Just as the review states, the game had a serious lack in weapons, armors, and skills. They dumbed down the major/minor skills to just have 7 'basic' skills. I felt the "R" of the RPG was taken out, leaving it as just a "Playing Game". The caves/forts/ruins of the game all seemed the same, the generic bandits w/o specific names bored me, and the general lack of interest put into the adventuring part of the game angered me greatly. For those of you who spent hours playing Morrowind you knew that just about any dungeon you crawled into you were going to find a unique, different experience than the one you were just in. Minor plots unravelled as you explored a bandit-cave-turned-vampire-lair, an egg mine overrun by the Comonna Tong, a Telvanni lair being invaded by House Redoran. The subplots of Morrowind were endless, the landscapes all differed greatly from one another, the care and concern put into each of the 3000 or so NPC's was noticeable, and overall it was just a better RPG. Oblivion deserves to be praised for its amazing graphics system, especially its ability to be tweaked for lower-end systems and still produce amazing graphics. It also did a good job casting famous celebrities as important character voices and incorporating a much more intuitive spell system. Beyond that, though, I give it no praise, and I feel strongly that those of you who played Morrowind and/or are still playing it should not leave the game you currently own. The lack of guilds and their respective quests, the generic landscapes, the terrible AI leveling system, and the lack of skills are only a few though crucial criticisms of this game. I felt like Bethesda turned their backs on their cult players and put a permanent bruise on the face of their franchise with this failure of an RPG.

I have to say that I agree with most of this review.

Oblivion is an awesome experience for the first six months, after that, it loses some of it's freshness. Morrowind was great too, in my opinion though, not as good as Oblivion.

I dislike the way Bandits and Marauders have "high end" armour after level 20, that takes away from some of the realism (Elder Scroll wise, anyway) that the reason the Bandits are there in the first place, is because they want to make easy money. Its not like by the time you reach level 20, every Bandit/Marauder is rich.
    tttGod Bless you!
    Jesus LOVES you!
    "NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!" Dedeicated to the late and great Darth vader...
    TheRedRoman On YouTube! http://www.youtube.com/TheRedRoman

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

I am not sure whether anyone notice it, but Black Bow and Marauders are actually having a private war in the south part of game world.

And sometime I even see "adventurers" fighting with bandits... not sure what has happened...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast