Thread: Couple of things

Default Couple of things

Firstly I'd like to say I love DarthMod for Empire Total War and Shogun 2. However Fall of the Samurai? Not so much. (Disclaimer: This is my experiences and my opinion I'm not attacking anyone, I'm pointing out some problems I've found, please don't hate me.)

Bombardment: It is now not very effective. Seeing those explosive shells land in the middle of a group of 300 and watching 50 of them go flying only for 45 of them to get back up, dust themselves off and pick out the shrapnel is not so cool. The fact that the enemy move away from the target area was annoying enough in vanilla but the fact that the bombardment from massive guns offshore now does a greatly reduced amount of damage plus moving away means it's not very useful. (Also probable bug, bombardment doesn't destroy wooden cannons, I dropped both my bombardments on a group of wooden cannons (60 men 4 cannons) result: 43 men 4 cannons after about 8 direct hits.)

Guns: Ummm, it feels like a lot has been done to give melee-only units a better chance against rifle troops, which inevitably means rifle troops are now weaker, pathetically so in my opinion. It was almost comical to see a squad of enemy Levy Infantry come around from behind a building into view of two of my squads of Line Infantry (Kneel fire) and have only about 5 men die when 360 rifles were fired at them... (Range was about 120) Another instance was those same Line Infantry being charged by a 86 man strong General's squad. My men had the only had the chance to fire once and some of them weren't reloaded so only about 100 guns fired at the general's squad but they're horsemen so they're big targets. Result: The general's squad was 85 strong when it hit my men, 100 shots 1 horse killed at range 30-40? Not good. My problem is there doesn't seem to be any point in going with non-elite riflemen as samurai units are able to close the distance and then kill the squad with minimal loses. Those same two Line Infantry had to use 2/3s of their ammo to shatter the one Levy Infantry, if there had been two squads of Levy Infantry they would have run out of ammo halfway through. In one battle pretty much all of my units had used up their ammo but I had destroyed less than half of the enemies army (which wasn't even a full stack). The way I see it riflemen either need a decent accuracy boost or way more ammo.

I know that a lot of this is done for balancing however I think the mindset is that Samurai are still elite units in Fall of the Samurai, however in reality they should be considered to be like the original time periods Ashigaru. i.e. Obsolete as the game progresses and only really used to support lower tech ranged units in melee.

Default Re: Couple of things

I'd like to know how the economy was affected. I installed 3.8, and loaded a game I had going from vanilla where I was making 32k per turn. Next turn, all of a sudden, I'm making 2k. I was trying to read through the changelog to figure it out, and I read something about costs and upkeep being changed, but im not sure if it went up or down. Any clarification on that would be great

Keeper of the FAITH

Arksa's Avatar Centenarius

Darth has already released a 3.8 hotfix that also puffs the rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by Arksa View Post
    Darth has already released a 3.8 hotfix that also puffs the rifles.
    do you know anything about economy changes as of the most recent update?

Keeper of the FAITH