Thread: Assigning Names to a Faction

Default Assigning Names to a Faction

I am having trouble assigning names to a faction. I am simply copy/pasting all of Macedon's names including surnames and women's names over Egypt's names. I am then deleting all the Egyptian Characters except the Faction Leader, Faction heir and their wives, who I'm also giving them their new Macedonian names. When I start a campaign the game CTD's without error. I have done this before and it has worked. Any clue on what I am missing? It has been awhile since I have done this.

Thanks,

ahowl11

HouseOfHam's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Assigning Names to a Faction

What are all the files you've modified?
    RTR website/SVN admin

- Settlement coordinate locator -for RTW/M2TW
    - EDB Validator v1.2.8 (Oct 16, 2012) - for RTW/M2TW
    - RTW scripting tutorials
    - n-turns per year script generator

When it comes to the names, I am editing the descr_strat and the descr_names files. Should I be editing any others?

KEA's Avatar Senator

names.txt (text folder)

I honestly do not think that file has to do anything with it, I have done this before and it has worked. I am now simply changing one character name at a time. I have faction leader and faction heir renamed without CTD

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Patrician Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Use tornight's name checker and zeus ds names checking ability and see what comes up.
    Under the patronage of Roman_Man#3, Patron of Ishan
    Click for my tools and tutorials
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

KEA's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by ahowl11 View Post
    I honestly do not think that file has to do anything with it
    In this case most likely not, as long as you only use names that already exist.

Have you checked all possible characters that use Egyptian names, like rebels, diplomats, spies etc?

Yeah I have. I have even switched the names back to how they were originally and I'm still getting a CTD! Anyone care to take a look at this?

in my experience, names are the most dangerous to mod. I hope you've made a backup. If so, replace the modded files with the backups.

KEA's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by ahowl11 View Post
    Yeah I have. I have even switched the names back to how they were originally and I'm still getting a CTD!
    That should settle it: the CTD is not caused by the change of names (which, @ Lethe1, is neither very dangerours nor very difficult) but to something else you did during the process - what might even have been accidentical such as hitting "return" somewhere inside descr_strat. I once had accidently deleted a ";" before a comment in EDCT what caused my days of despair (non backuped file) until I by chance discovered it.

I hope you were smarter than me and have backuped your files? In this case start anew with the backuped files:

1st add all Macedon names to the Egyptian ones (test & backup)
    2nd give all Egyptian characters, including spies, skripted characters, rebels etc. Macedon names (test & backup)
    3rd remove all Egyptian names from this faction (test & finish)

I believe I must restart the whole thing.. I feel as if no matter what I do with the names and descr_strat, that I will get a CTD. Can someone PM their email to me, and I can send the mod folder? I currently have the Mundus Magnus 4.0 enabled, as well as a disabled senate. I have also edited the starting regions for each faction. I really do not want to restart!