Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [FoTS] Imperial/shogunate vanguard units retexture v1.0

Default [FoTS] Imperial/shogunate vanguard units retexture v1.0

Seeing as there is some demand for this sort of thing I've gone about reskinning imperial/shogunate units to have their vanguard colour scheme regardless of clan colours. The immediate effect will be that these units will have a different colour to the rest of your men. Should hopefully make them stand out and feel more special in your mass of dark green/blue/brown clad infantry.

Preview pics - colours and design are taken from an Osprey book on the matter.

Imperial infantry

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Imperial guard infantry

Imperial guard cavalry

Shogunate infantry

Shogunate guard infantry

Shogunate guard cavalry

Last edited by Robin de Bodemloze; April 14, 2012 at 12:43 PM.
    The Wings of Destiny - A FotS AAR (Chapter 12 - Updated Apr 24)
    Takeda - a Shogun 2 AAR (Completed) Reviewed by Radzeer

My writing | My art | About me | Sekigahara Campaign - Developer

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

Default Re: Imperial/shogunate vanguard units retexture

I believe for S2 there was a way to force a unit to use a specific Clans colors (It's in one of the tutorials somewhere) so Shogunate troops can be forced to wear Edo colors so they'll have Shogunate uniforms regardless of who recruits them.

If that doesn't pan out, you may be able to use the special models that were in the historical battles (I dont know how or if you can, but they're there).
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Brian de Bois-Guilbert View Post
    the Church has only improved mankind in history

For this there are words, but none that abide by the ToS.

Check out the screenshot I posted.

I've basically reskinned the Imperial Guard unit to wear imperial red regardless of their faction. I actually prefer it this way rather than everybody suddenly changes clothes when you turn into vanguard. Thoughts?

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

Looks good. Any chance you can reverse the color scheme on the pants? Just to avoid the jumpsuit look.

If not, this is still better then the current setup, so good job. I would suggest that it should be applied across all allegiance specific units though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Brian de Bois-Guilbert View Post
    the Church has only improved mankind in history

For this there are words, but none that abide by the ToS.

I don't want to disrespect the effort you put into it. Yet, I really don't like the strong red, even if it's more historical for the unit

I think switching the colours, making the primary colour dark blue with a red trim, would look a lot better
    Last edited by Rhio; April 11, 2012 at 06:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhio View Post
    I don't want to disrespect the effort you put into it. Yet, I really don't like the strong red.

I think the historical dark blue with a red trim would look a lot better
    No disrespect taken whatsoever. This is still very much at the experiment stage so suggestions are welcomed. Right now the colours I'm following are what the game has in the historical battles. If you have pics that reference how they actually looked in history then I'd be happy to use those.

EDIT: OP updated with a couple of pics of the imperial troops. Thoughts welcome.

EDIT 2: Found This website selling replica gear from the Boshin War. Anyone have an authoritative view on whether these are legit? I actually think they look rather boring (as military uniforms of the era and beyond generally did, admittedly) so I might stick with the game's interpretation, but nonetheless it would be interesting to know if these are authentic.
    Last edited by Robin de Bodemloze; April 11, 2012 at 06:35 AM.

Jackie Chan's Brother Wang...'s Avatar Semisalis
    The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Is it possible to have them wear the uniforms they have on in the historical battles? For example I really love the Imperial blue and red that the Imperial army uses in the HB.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Chan's Brother Wang... View Post
    Is it possible to have them wear the uniforms they have on in the historical battles? For example I really love the Imperial blue and red that the Imperial army uses in the HB.
    I'll take a look.
    Last edited by Robin de Bodemloze; April 11, 2012 at 07:07 AM.

Well, if you're looking for something to base yourself on, I found this pic of 1890 imperial uniforms.

I think what looks like grey here though, should be dark blue. As I'm pretty sure that was the main colour of the Japanese Imperial troops.

After checking some stuff, you were right on the money with the Imperial Guard though. Unlike regular infantry, apparantly they wore red uniforms

I think I've struck gold - have a look at this post. CA are actually rather accurate with their Imperial uniforms. The shogunate ones need a bit of work though.

I'll go with this and see where it takes me

Quote Originally Posted by robinzx View Post
    I think I've struck gold - have a look at this post. CA are actually rather accurate with their Imperial uniforms. The shogunate ones need a bit of work though.

I'll go with this and see where it takes me

Those looks great, the CA blue/red in the historical battles looks like it matches up perfectly with those picks!

New pics up in the OP

Now that is awesome!

robinzx
    Your mod is most welcome and desired by us Fots players who cant get enough of this S2TW expansion atm.
    This along with your portraits mod is adding the historical colour and immersion that I and many others crave and appreciate!
    Thanks for taking the time to produce these new textures...+REP!

Great work!

I just started planning a similar mod, but yours is far better.

I do have a comment: It seems to me that the Red Trousers should be fore Imperial Guard Cavalry only. From the source pic in that post it looks like Imperial Infantry and Imperial Guard Infantry both wore Dark blue top, and light blue trousers, with the main difference being the belt and hat. That being said, it looks like the Red Belt you've got is also for Cavalry while the Infantry should have a White Belt.

You could probably just use your current variant of the Guard Infantry as the Guard Cavalry, actually
    Last edited by GatorMarine1833; April 11, 2012 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Chan's Brother Wang... View Post
    Now that is awesome!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GERMANICUS View Post
    robinzx
    Your mod is most welcome and desired by us Fots players who cant get enough of this S2TW expansion atm.
    This along with your portraits mod is adding the historical colour and immersion that I and many others crave and appreciate!
    Thanks for taking the time to produce these new textures...+REP!
    Thanks! I'm working on it and hope to release a first version some time this week. People can then critique it and I'll update it. Given the number of pics of "Imperial artillery" which look rather sharp I might create a couple new units for those once all the textures are in place

Quote Originally Posted by GatorMarine1833 View Post
    Great work!

I just started planning a similar mod, but yours is far better.

I do have a comment: It seems to me that the Red Trousers should be fore Imperial Guard Cavalry only. From the source pic in that post it looks like Imperial Infantry and Imperial Guard Infantry both wore Dark blue top, and light blue trousers, with the main difference being the belt and hat. That being said, it looks like the Red Belt you've got is also for Cavalry while the Infantry should have a White Belt.

You could probably just use your current variant of the Guard Infantry as the Guard Cavalry, actually
    You're right of course. That's what happens when you're working on things at silly hours in the morning It does look like I've accidentally create the cavalry unit though so the work has not gone to waste at least.

Although - that makes the imperial guard look very little different from imperial infantry. Any thoughts on making them more distinct?

Maybe you can use the hat that has the feathers on the front for the Guards and the Kepi for the regulars? I was looking at the texture but haven't had a chance to test it, but I think it would be cool if you could also find a way to replicate the half red / half white feathers on the hat too.

Also, and I think you already have them like this, but regulars have the white leggings, and the Guards do not. I think with the trousers, feathers, and different style belt, they should look unique enough

The red "belt" is actually a sash tied around the waist. There is the buckle object but I can't edit that without ripping up the mesh file. Those are there for the cavalry and artillery corps. For the infantry they all wear brown belts.

I'll make the distinction between pants and the white leggings. Besides that there are the linings of the jackets, chevrons on the sleeves and number of buttons. Hopefully that will make enough of a distinction. I prefer to keep the crests to the officers and flag bearers. Screens to come later

Excellent! Good luck, I have faith in you!

New pics up, including the imperial guard cavalry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast