Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Tale of Aron, Update Chapter Fifteen, March 6th

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: The Tale of Aron, Update Chapter Twelve: 12/13

I feel like finishing up this section, but at the same time, I really don't want to today. Perhaps there will be another update, perhaps not. I don't know. We'll see.

I really wish I could skip ahead to the end but I cannot.
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

What level is Aron in Magic?

Great to see you back working on this, and two good updates. Aron really is turning into quite the master.

Great work, +rep
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

Blog Entries

No levels in this

Aron is a quick learner, and he has natural talents in general.

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Blog Entries

Short update. Remember, this is the conclusion of an arc that initially only lasted for a couple smallish chapters

This is the second minichapter.

Tale of Aron, Mini-Chapter Two
    Mini-Chapter Two Aron sat in his room and meditated. It was all he had done for several weeks, besides eating, sleeping, and exploring the island. Near constant meditation for weeks drove Aron insane. He ached for a fight, to practice his magic, anything other than spend another day meditating. The mere thought of meditation made Aron sick with boredom. And after weeks of such daily routines, Aron’s questions still went unanswered.

Aron had come to the island hoping to have his questions answered about his dreams. He had been forbidden from taking any weapons or armor to the island per the laws of the Order there, but Aron had managed to smuggle his red dagger. Everything else he had owned had been left behind with a caretaker in Port Sarim. When Aron had arrived, the Head Priest explained the purpose of Aron’s visit: from what Sedridor had told him, the monk believed that Saradomin was attempting to communicate with Aron. The Priest gave Aron a tour of the island, explaining its history and purpose before setting Aron to work on his meditation. The priest explained that very few mortals were ever given the chance to communicate with their god Saradomin, and he believed that by coming to one of the most holy spots in the region, Aron would be able to fully communicate. So far, it had been mostly a waste of time.

One night, Aron lay awake, tossing and turning, unable to sleep a wink. In frustration, Aron rose and found a comfortable place in his small room, and began to meditate. As usual, nothing appeared to be happening. Aron’s eyes grew heavy, finally becoming tired. As he was about to give up and attempt to get a few hours rest, Aron suddenly found himself unable to move. He slipped into a dreamlike state, nothing like he had ever experienced before, and found himself in the familiar dark room of his dreams, his only occupant being the old man that had eluded him.

“Welcome, Aron” the figure spoke softly.

Speechless, Aron stuttered “S-S-Saradomin?”

“Yes. I have been attempting to communicate with you for some time, Aron. You have proven to be most stubborn and difficult, even with your meditation. Please, rise.”

Aron rose to his feet, still in disbelief that he was in the presence of a god.

“Aron, I have been watching you for some time. You have risen from a simple soldier of Varrock to a rather mighty individual. There are few in this world that could hope to match your skills, especially now with your discovery of your magical potential. You are a wonder among mortals, Aron.”

Aron was silent. He honestly could not think of what to say to such a compliment.

Saradomin continued “Aron, I believe that you have a great destiny here on this plane, one that I cannot fully understand. In some ways, you are a complete mystery to me, while in others, you seem all too familiar. Your actions lately, however, are quite troubling to me.”

At this Aron found his voice “You speak of my destruction of the castle?”

“Yes, Aron. That was most…disturbing. Never have I seen such a brutal assault on flesh and stone. Your display of magic killed hundreds, Aron”

“Saradomin, those men were evil. They killed hundreds when I and the soldiers of Varrock and Falador stormed that fortress and chased the survivors into the great Wilderness.”

“Aron, many of those men were not even present that day. They were blameless for what happened to your comrades…and your friend.”

The thought of Nakash made Aron’s blood boil.

“How does that matter. Saradomin? Even if they had yet to kill a single innocent, they would have eventually. I ensured that that would not occur. I would have thought a god of good such as yourself would understand!” Aron stated, gritting his teeth.

“Aron, you are still a young soul. I have lived for thousands of years. There is no black and white in this world. There are many shades of gray. As pleased as I am for this world to be rid of hundreds of supporters of Zamorak, I cannot honestly say that I condone such a merciless action. You did not even allow them the chance to flee. A good man would not have doomed them by sealing the doors.”

“Perhaps that is so, Saradomin. But perhaps I am not a good man at all. As you have just said, there are many shades of gray.”

Saradomin smiled. “Perhaps, Aron. Perhaps…”

They sat in silence.

“Aron, I must soon leave you. The connection between our planes cannot remain for too long, else I risk more than I care to admit. I will tell you, however, that if you are ever in need of help, a quick prayer may not hurt” Saradomin said, winking. “Is there anything you wish to ask of me?”

Aron pondered…There was one thing.

“Saradomin, I know I am a young soul, and there is much I must learn. I will be the first to admit, considering these revelations, that perhaps I am not worthy. But I would ask for one favor…”

“Yes?” Saradomin inquired.

“Would it be possible for me to communicate with those that I have lost…”

And since we are at the end of this arc, I figure it wouldn't hurt to share the original written work on this part of Aron's tale. This goes all the way back to after Aron leaves Keldagrim. I have included the portion pre "snip" as well, but I am taking out some other parts as they may come back.

Original
    Original Aron steps into the sunlight, something he had done rarely since being in the city. He looked into Taverly, knew his horse was waiting for him. He walked down there, his horse seeing him before Aron saw him, neighing, happy to see him again. Aron walked inside, paid the people for the extra time spent. The people look at how much the warrior has changed, admired his new blood-red helmet. Aron left, and got on his horse. He trotted south, to where he would meet the advancing force, and gazed back at the mountain range where he had lived for so many months, smiled at the name the dwarves had given him: Aron the Beheader.

Aron rode south, to where he met the White Knights of Falador. It seemed the king had been so worried about this threat, he called out his best warriors. There they stood, waiting for them, their perfect white armor glinting in the sunset. He got to their camp, could see a tower in the distance, wondered if that was their target. He shook hands with their Captain, Sir Ercern, who admired his helmet, and is briefed on what would happen. The archers would surround the tower, and fire their flame-ridden arrows to the top, which was made of wood. Then, when it started burning, the wizards would come out, and they would be slaughtered.

They surrounded the tower, their archers already lighting their arrows on fire. The order is given, and the archers loose their arrows, only to bounce off before they even hit the walls. They fired another volley, with the same result.

"It looks like they prepared their tower for us. Knights, prepare to charge!" Ercern said.
    Aron prepared, didn't quite understand what Ercern meant by they had prepared their tower for their arrival. In anycase, the order was sounded, and they charged into the building, where the wizards were waiting. They were not armed save their wooden staves, and the first few men that got in vanished into dust, Aron realizing they were using magic. Magic is how they prepared their tower! The next few men were vaporized as well, before Ercern decided to use the archers to kill the first few mages. Ercern also took off his armor, and when questioned, told his knights to do the same, as metal armor conducts magic. Aron takes off his armor, but leaves his helmet on, and lets the archers do their dirty work. He heres the twang of the arrows and here hears the bodies inside the tower slump to the floor, and they file in. Aron and Ercern fight side by side, killing the wizards, slicing another who was about to cast a spell on Ercern, who thanked Aron for saving him. They go up the stairs, letting the rest of the men deal with the wizards downstairs. They reach the top of the tower, knowing that that must be where the head dark wizard is. The charge into the room, Ercern hit by a spell, stunned, and falls to the floor. Aron goes in, and immediately feels like he is not himself. The head wizard laughs.

“I have put you under my control. You will go downstairs and tell the rest of your men to stop fighting, or you will all die” He says

“Not if I have anything to say about it” Aron says.

Aron reaches deep down, looking for the strength to break out of this control, feels a large amount of untapped energy. Aron is confused, but somehow manages to take control of not only himself, but the Dark Wizard himself.

“You will not hurt anyone anymore!” Aron yells, and taps all the energy built up inside of him, and feels like he explodes as he blacks out…

Aron wakes up outside, confused as to what happened. Ercern is there, with a big grin on his face.

“What happened?”

“You, my friend, have some magical potential. You turned the wizards own power against them, and, apparently, killed them all. You saved many lives, but almost killed yourself. Come on, get up.” Ercern said.

Aron gets up, feels weak. “I have what?” Aron says

“Magical potential. When you don’t know how to use it, it is dangerous, and you could have killed everyone in that tower, including my men. I suggest you go to the Wizards Tower in Draynor Village to learn how to fully use it.”

Aron decides that, if he can use this power he has to fight evil, he will do whatever it takes to do it. He sleeps for a day, too weak to move, and when he feels his strength return, he decides to leave. Ercern brings him his weapons, his helmet and chain mail. Aron saddles up, bids goodbye to his new friend, and sets off to Draynor Village.
    -----------------------------------------------

Chapter 9

Aron travels to the Wizard Tower, hoping to learn the secrets to control his powerful magical potential. He expects that maybe Ercern had exaggerated, that his skills were there, but not enough to warrant any serious training. He rode into Draynor Village, and pushed on across the bridge to the island the Wizards live on. There he met Sedridor, the High Wizard, who could immediately sense his potential. He had heard about what Aron had done, was impressed, and a little frightened to tap that energy, but decided to give it a try. What will follow is a year of intense training that Aron can barely keep up with…

“Concentrate. Use that power to cast this simple spell” Sedridor said.

Aron concentrated, could feel the energy, and let it out. A small amount of fire came out of his hands. Aron looked at the small flame in his hand, noting that it didn’t hurt him at all. He let a smile out.

“Good. That is a start. I suppose you are more of a fire type of person. Do you know why that might be?”

Aron thought of his wife, burning to death, knew now that it was some careless magic that killed his beloved.

“Because I am full of hate of all things evil, and I want to rid the world of it.”

“That is part of it. The other is that you’re passionate. Passionate about what you do, passionate about who you have loved. If left unchecked, that passion can turn to hate. You must learn to control that, use your passion to cast fire magic, not your hatred.” Sedridor said. “Otherwise, you could lose control, and hurt others.”

Aron thought for a minute, asked “I saw the Dark Wizards using a spell that vaporized people. Which spell is that?”

Sedridor thought for a moment “That is the opposite of a spell we normally call ‘Crumble Undead’, and the spell is called “Bane of the Living”. It can kill anyone instantly, and basically turns them to dust. ‘Crumble Undead’ hasn’t needed to be used for years, since necromancy has died out, and that is the only spell that can counteract that. “

“Sedridor, these are evil times, please teach me that spell. I may need it.” Aron pleaded.
    “Alright, my young apprentice, but first, let’s refine your fire magic, and teach you about the other elements.

Aron worked for many months more, mastering fire elemental attacks, as well as getting proficient at the others, Earth, Water, and Air. Soon, he was good enough to learn “Crumble Undead” as well as other master spells. At first he tired very easily, but as he got better, he learned to conserve energy, while keeping the power up. Soon he could cast almost any spell with no effort at all, and he was then considered a great magician, some saying he could even possibly rival Sedridor. One day, Sedridor comes to him, with a staff he made for Aron, and said his training was complete, after a year.

“Aron, my apprentice, which I feel foolish calling you now, I have sensed another type of energy in you, one that is more spiritual than magical. I have chartered a boat for you, to take to Entrana, and there, you will learn how to make contact with your spiritual side, and aid you in battle even more.”

“When does this ship leave?” Aron asked

“In 2 weeks. Why do you ask? Sedridor inquired.

“ I would like to visit my son again. I haven’t seen him in over a year, and I need to pay a visit to my wife’s grave. Think of it as a way to inspire my passion a bit more, High Wizard.” Aron joked, a rarity.

Sedridor thought a minute, “I agree, go see your son. Leave your weapons and armor at your sister in laws house, as there are no such things allowed on the island. Also, please take care of this staff, as it is very powerful.”

“Goodbye my friend, and thank you for teaching me.”

“No, thank you for teaching me that there is still good in the world” Sedridor said…
    ------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 10

Before traveling to Lumbridge, Aron decides to take a long detour, and goes to see the Black Knights castle, which Aron heard had been repopulated by Dark Knights and their normal infantry, Dark Warriors. Aron, just a few hundred feet from the castle but out of sight from the castle itself. He hadn’t told Sedridor, for fear of what he would think, that he could now make his fire hotter, would burn blue with intensity. He would now use that against an old enemy. He looked deep inside of himself, found the strength, and launched a powerful blue fire attack out of his staff, which heightened his abilities, and caught the castle on fire. He then used his magic to seal all the doors, and no one could escape. Aron sat there and watched, listened to the screams of the people burning inside. Revenge is bitter sweet. With a smile, he then traveled to Varrock, to request an audience with his king. He rode through the town, people staring at this bizarre man with a red helmet and 2 strange blue swords at his side. He rides through the town, up into the magnificent courtyard in front of an even more magnificent palace. He meets the king, who greets him like an old friend, and they talk about Aron’s travels, and about the strange weapons and armor he has acquired. Just as he leaves, his king asks him when he will return to his service, and Aron says that he doesn’t know, but he will eventually. Aron travels south, riding through the farm lands he grew up around, until he ended up in Lumbridge, where he travels across the bridge over the River Lum. He rides past the Lumbridge Guard and civilians, receiving the same stares he had received in Varrock. Aron smiles all the way to his sister-in-laws house. Once there, he sees his son for the first time in months, now bigger and stronger than even Aron could have imagined. He stays for a week, and visits his wife’s grave, and for the first time in a year, wept for hours. He regains his composure, and kisses his son goodbye. Just before he leaves, his sister-in-law tells Aron what Nakash’s first word was: Soldier.

He traveled east, feeling strangely naked without his weapons and armor. He had decided to try to smuggle his dagger with him, never wanted to go anywhere without some sort of weapon. He got on the boat in Port Sarim, his weapon passing scrutiny, and left the continent for the first time in his life, and traveled to Entrana, land of the Monks. There, he hoped to tap his spiritual side…

“Meditation. That is the key. That is all you need to do to get in touch with your spiritual side.” The High Priest said.

“That’s it?”

“That’s it” said the priest. “Meditate for hours, eat, meditate more, and sleep.”

So Aron meditated, for months. He got more attuned to his spiritual side, but grew frustrated, as he hadn’t drawn blood in quite some time. He wanted action, but all he was doing was meditating.

Aron was meditating one day, when he started going into a dreamlike state, but he couldn’t stop it. Suddenly, he was before a white-bearded man, yet somehow, he knew it couldn’t be a man

“Saradomin?” Aron asks.

“Yes, it is I, Saradomin. You are seeking a way to grant yourself more power in battle, yet you already seem to have plenty. I watched you burn that castle down, Aron. I did not approve, as all life is sacred to me, even that of those pitiful men who follow my evil brother Zamorak.”
    “But they killed the whole force I was with. They murdered hundreds, and they deserved what they got!” Aron protested.

“That may be, but they did not deserve to be burned alive. Did you kill them that way because that was how your wife died?”

Aron was surprised by the question “Yes. I wanted revenge for several things. I took it out on them. It is their fault. I despise evil, and I want to rid Gielinor of it, at any cost. Am I really so bad for wanting that?”

Saradomin seemed lost in thought, shook his head. “Regardless of what you have done, I will reward you for your service in preserving peace, even if it meant violence and death. You may call on me for help, but none other than that. I cannot ever physically manifest myself in front of you and fight side by side. I can, however, give you bursts of strength and speed, for example.

*snip*

Saradomin thought for a minute, and then said, “Our time is almost up. Is there anything you would like to ask of me?”

Aron thought, was hoping he would be asked this question. Aron cleared his throat, and said “Is there any chance I may talk to my father and my wife?”….

Anyway, I hope you enjoy all the additional work that has gone into expanding this original 2,500 word section into something far larger (7,500 words+).

Edit: By the way, speaking of word count, the story as it currently stands is nearly 22,500 words. The original story when it was finished was at least 30-32,000 words, all books considered. Books One and Two were *maybe* 15,000 words total originally (can't remember). I can't give you definite numbers since much of book three was lost and much of books one and two were changed before I started keeping track separately. But those numbers should be fairly accurate.

Therefore, at this rate, story should greatly exceed 40,000 words once completed. There is still much to improve and add in book two, so it very well could even exceed 50,000. I shan't know until the end, especially since all these rewrites will constitute many changes in book three.
    Last edited by TheDarkKnight; December 21, 2012 at 07:30 PM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: The Tale of Aron, Update Minichapter Two: 12/21

Tale of Aron, Chapter 13
    Chapter 13

The trip back to the mainland was quite somber for Aron. Saradomin had denied his request, stating Aron was not ready for what he desired. Aron, defeated, had accepted this answer. The next day, he bid his goodbyes to the residents of the island and departed. He doubted he would ever consider revisiting, but his future was shrouded to all, even to Saradomin.

Upon returning to the mainland Aron at once retrieved his belongings and his horse, happy to have his sword and staff with him again. The man he had left them with asked “Did you find the answers you were looking for?”

Aron had been unable to answer, for he did not know. If anything, he felt as if he left Entrana with more questions than he had arrived with.

Aron rode at a brisk pace, hoping to reach Lumbridge by the end of the next day. The hard day’s ride brought him to middle of the forest between Lumbridge and Draynor Village. Exhausted, Aron made camp, tying his horse to a magnificent yew tree and setting up his camp. Aron noticed there was a small pond nearby, likely a haven for trout. Aron found a suitable piece of wood and used his utility knife to make a spear. Once finished, Aron attempted to spear himself a meal. After an hour of unsuccessful attempts, Aron returned to his camp, defeated.

Instead, Aron lit a fire using his magic and cooked up a delicious if small meal consisting of sausages. He nearly decided to throw the spear away but wanted to keep it as a souvenir of something Aron had finally failed at. After finishing his meal, Aron left the fire pit and moved into his tent. As a storm moved in, Aron fell asleep.
    --
    Aron awoke in the middle of the storm, a bolt of lightning startling him awake. The storm was pounding the forest, but Aron could hear strange sounds coming from outside of the tent. Aron could hear his horse whinnying, likely terrified of the storm. Aron, knowing he likely would not be getting to sleep anytime soon, got up to attempt to calm his frightened beast.

As he emerged from his tent, a bolt of lightning illuminated the forest around him, thunder quickly following. Aron saw figures around the yew tree his horse was tied to, attempting to figure out how to untie the rope. Unnoticed, Aron slipped back into his tent, searching for his sword but remembering that he had left it with the horse along with all the other equipment. Realizing all he had with him was his dagger and his magic, Aron charged out of his tent towards the figures.

Another bolt of lightning illuminated the forest as Aron charged the nearest figure, the movement and sound of Aron quickly catching the attention of one of them: It was a goblin. Snarling, the goblin drew his blade, ready to meet Aron. The goblin swung his rusty blade towards Aron, Aron grabbing the goblins wrist to halt the attack. Using his other hand, Aron drew his blood red dagger and shoved it into the chin of the goblin. Aron felt warm, black blood running down his wrist as the goblin, still squirming, died. He withdrew his dagger and allowed the goblin to fall.

By now, the other goblins had realized they were not alone. They left Aron’s panicking horse and charged. Aron switched his dagger to his other hand and grabbed the fallen goblin’s blade, arming himself. It was the worst blade Aron had ever held, but it would have to do. The first of the remaining goblins reached Aron, swinging their weapons at Aron. Skillfully, Aron dodged both of their attacks, kicking one to the ground and using the goblin blade to deliver a horizontal slash at the belly of the other, felling him with a scream. The scream was muffled as thunder roared overhead, but Aron could see the goblins face twist in agony even in the dark. Aron spun around again, discovering the other goblin was still on the ground. Aron approached him, sheathing his dagger and raising his goblin blade high in the air. The goblin stared, wide eyed, a plea for mercy on his face. A flash of lightning exploded in the air behind him, likely silhouetting Aron, as he brought the blade down into the chest of the goblin. The goblin squirmed, thrashing his limbs, but soon the life left him. Aron withdrew his blade, satisfied.

Suddenly, Aron was lifted into the air, as if by the gods themselves. He was spun around by huge arms, and was instantly faced with a giant of a hobgoblin. It must have been the leader of the group of goblins that Aron had just slaughtered, and it did not look too pleased about that.

Aron’s arms were painfully constricted. He dropped his goblin blade from the pain, and was unable to reach his dagger. Realizing Aron’s helplessness, the hobgoblin opened its maw, the breath of the creature nearly making Aron sick. He brought his face forward, Aron realizing he was going to eat Aron’s face. The thought of being eaten alive horrified Aron, much less by this monster of a creature. It’s black teeth drew closer and closer to Aron’s face.

Unable to do anything else, Aron headbutted the creature, its hard head hurting Aron more than anything, but Aron had managed to cause enough damage that the hobgoblin threw him to the ground. Aron landed on his back near his extinguished fire pit, the wind leaving his body forcefully, as rain splashed on his face. Barely able to move, Aron could only watch as the angry creature approached him, drawing its weapon: from what little light Aron had, it appeared to be a war hammer.
    Aron moved his arms in panic, finding a wooden object with his hand. Aron realized it was his fish spear. Knowing it was his only chance as the creature raised its weapon above in a killing strike, Aron took it into both hands thrust as hard as he could into the stomach of the creature.

The force of the blow made the creature drop its weapon. It sunk to the muddy ground, its eyes wide in fear. Aron, still in pain, rose to his feet gingerly. He still had the weapon in the monster’s stomach. Aron pulled the weapon, releasing the blood to pour freely. The creature stared up at Aron, gaping, its eyes still wide. Aron, still in pain, thrust the spear into the open mouth of the monster. The cries of the dying creature roared throughout the forest. Wishing to end it, Aron jerked the spear downward, forcefully breaking the jaw completely. The hobgoblin, finally dead, slumped to the ground.

Aron, exhausted, leaned against a nearby tree, jamming the spear in the ground. . The storm still raged, but the fight was over. He felt like one of his ribs was cracked and his sword arm was bruised, but other than that, he thought he was okay. After recovering, he returned to his horse. Though still frightened by the storm and the goblins, she appeared to be okay. She patted the horse, soothing the horse into calming down.

In the distance to the east, Aron saw a couple dozen torches coming his way. From the light of the fires, it looked like more goblins coming this way…perhaps the remaining members of the group. Knowing he could not fight much more in this condition. He returned to his tent to look for any of his belongings. Finding nothing, he grabbed his fish spear as well as the goblin blade and returned to his horse, rapidly untying her and climbing into the saddle. The group of approaching goblins somehow knew Aron was there, and were spreading out to ensure he could not escape. Even as the storm raged, the strong torchlights grew closer. Aron, mounted and unwilling to try to go around, leveled his spear down.

Spurring his horse forward and urging her to go as fast as possible, Aron charged the group of goblins. Even over the storm he knew the goblins could hear the charge…they soon stalled, unsure of what to do. Before they could decide, however, Aron slammed into the thin line, spearing a goblin with his fishing spear. The force broke the spear, Aron leaving it behind and moving the goblin blade into his sword arm, as he continued urging his horse forward, leaving the goblins behind. However, just as Aron felt as though he had cleared any danger, another bolt of lightning throughout the sky, revealing a goblin with a crudely made bow in front of him, ready to fire.

As the thunder erupted, the goblin fired his arrow, whistling through the air, and slamming into Aron’s right thigh. Though painful, Aron kept the horse charging, as the goblin nocked another arrow. He never had another chance. A final bolt of lightning flashed throughout the stormy night behind Aron as he swung his goblin blade down onto the surprised goblin. Unable to block and unarmored, the goblin blade found its mark, partly severing the head of the unfortunate goblin. Aron, unable to stop, continued galloping east into the night as the storm continued to rage overhead.

Expanded something that before only took up a paragraph into a whole chapter in itself. This was originally going to be only a background event towards a much larger one, but unfortunately I could not help myself from writing more. The next event will likely have an entire chapter devoted to itself as well.

I hope my quality isn't sinking. I didn't particularly like how this chapter turned out, but it should be okay. I was unwilling to scrap it once I wrote it. I will probably improve on it once I am done, though. So enjoy.

And feedback is always appreciated.

Also, if you do read this but don't comment, please consider doing so. I feel like I'm only writing for 2 people here but the number of thread views suggest otherwise. Even if you hate my work in every sense of the word, please tell me so.

I plan to have the rest of book 2 finished before the end of the year.

Blog Entries

Default Re: The Tale of Aron, Update Minichapter Two: 12/21

Have another. Consider this double update a Christmas gift.

Tale of Aron, Chapter Fourteen
    Chapter Fourteen Aron watched as the men trained. He had remembered what had happened at the battle along the River Salve, and would not have that repeated here. He was still in pain, but he believed that he was healing rather nicely.

It had been two weeks since his late night ride to Lumbridge after the skirmish. He had arrived at Lysa’s house, wounded and on the verge of passing out, and she had nursed him for several days. Although he had still not healed fully, he had recovered enough to request an audience with the Duke of Lumbridge.

“Welcome Aron, I hear you have run into a bit of trouble in the forest” the Duke had said once he finally allowed Aron to meet with him.

“Indeed, Lord Horatio, I come with troubling news. The goblins are roaming the forest quite freely. I passed by several looted houses on the way here as well” Aron had stated.

“Yes Aron, I am well aware. Unfortunately, there is little I can do about it. They attack very quickly, typically looting a house and killing the inhabitants before any sort of resistance can be mounted. I have relatively few men willing to actually confront the goblins: most are militia at best. Since the I only have a couple of professional units, and as you might remember, they are far from competent.”

“Lord Horatio, I believe your men are more than capable of confronting these goblins. I have come here to make a request: I have family here, and I cannot bear the thought of having them in constant danger of goblin raids. I ask you to allow me to lead some of your soldiers into combat against the goblins. They are not strong; their only advantage is their numbers. Give me two hundred fit men that are not in your military and I promise you I will lead them to victory”.

And so the Duke had accepted Aron’s request. As Aron began preparations, he had sent several messages out across the kingdoms, sending word to several of his friends and allies to join him in Lumbridge. Within days, they had arrived: Aneiad, Ercern, and Ali had been granted leave of absences to help Aron train these men. Aron had filled them in on all that had occurred since he had last met them many months before. For Aneiad, it had been well over a year Ali and Aneiad were quite surprised to discover the Aron had had magic, while Ercern was eager to hear of Aron’s training since he had witnessed Aron’s magic first hand. However, the most important matter was the training of the soldiers.

For the past week Aron had drilled them, teaching them how to properly use their equipment. Aron had armed them as best as they could from the armory of Lumbridge: all had a kite shield along with a spear, but few had anything better than a leather jerkin and cap as armor. Some had nothing other than the shield and spear, but it was what was available. He taught them how to fight as a single unit, imploring them to stay together.

“Some of you men may have had dreams of becoming a knight when you were younger. Wielding a bright steel sword and riding into battle atop a horse and armored in bright armor, I bet you dreamed of seeking out a worthy opponent and slaying them in combat. Well, I’m afraid that none of you are knights. To be honest, neither I nor my friends barring Ercern are knights. You will not be taught how to fight like a knight. You will be taught how to fight as a group. You men may be brave; some of you may even be strong. But as a single unit, you will be stronger and braver than you can even imagine.”

Throughout the weeklong process Aron had become friends with the man Aron had appointed as captain of the group, Iriun. Iriun was a tough farm boy that lived not far from Lysa, and had worked the fields since he was a child. He was a large, strong young man, and as such Aron could not have asked for a better person to lead these men.

“When these men are in combat, and are tired, or thirsty, or demoralized, they will look towards you to be their leader. Be the leader they want you to be, lead by example, and the men will fight not just for themselves or for their homes, but for you.” Aron had implored Iriun.

As a gift, Aron had given Iriun the steel sword he had forged in Keldagrim many months before.

“This is dwarven steel. It is very strong and very deadly. Be as strong and deadly as this sword, and you will lead these men to victory.” Aron had told him.

Iriun took these words to heart. He drilled them even harder than Aron did. At first the men cursed him, calling him a boy. It was true, as Iriun was only eighteen years old, half the age of some of the men. But Aron believed in him, and soon the men believed in him as well.

On their last day, Aron called the men to ranks. Eagerly, the men assembled into a block on the field, standing at attention. The sun was going down, and eyes were upon him. From the walls he could see the Duke along with his personal guard, staring at the ragtag group of men and the man that would lead them on the morrow.

“Men, it has been my pleasure to train you. Rest well and eat hearty, for tomorrow we will take the fight to the goblins that have invaded your fair town. Tomorrow, we will send the goblins to their graves.”

The assembled men thrust their spears into the air and cheered. Aron looked towards the wall, and could see the Duke beaming. They may not be much, Aron felt, but the men had certainly been one of the most eager group that Aron had ever encountered.

As the cheering died down, he looked towards Iriun, giving him a quick nod. Iriun spun around, shouting “Men, I will see you tomorrow bright and early. As Aron said, tomorrow we will end this menace to our homes.”

Again, the men cheered, though not nearly as loudly as before. Aron used this opportunity to slip away. He was exhausted, and desired to return to his home. He hurriedly exited the training field and slipped through the gate of the castle, the guards saluting him. He hoped to make it home in time to enjoy Lysa’s company.

Aron’s friends had noticed his departure and quickly caught up to him.

“Aron, care for some company?” Aneiad inquired.

“Not at all, friends. In fact, I believe Lysa ordered me to make sure you came over anyway.”

That night, Aron, Lysa, and his friends ate and drank heartily. Aron avoided the ale, but could not help himself to seconds and thirds of Lysa’s magnificent cooking. He also spent some time with Nakash. Aron loved his son, and though Nakash barely understood who Aron was due to his yearlong absence, Aron felt his son loved him back. Aron’s only regret was that he had spent so much time away from his growing son. He hoped that after this battle he could settle down in Lumbridge for some time and help Lysa raise Nakash. Every once in a while, Aron could not help but feel guilty for forcing his son on his sister-in-law as Aron traveled the world to rid it of the evil it contained. But for all it was worth, Lysa continually told Aron that she loved Nakash like her own son, and did not find it trouble in the least. Apart from Aron, Nakash was her only family, and she would fight just as hard as Aron to keep her family safe.

As the night died down and Aron returned to his room, he dreamed of being home. It was a wondrous feeling, one that Aron hoped would never expire.

--

The small force of two hundred fifty men had marched deep into the forest, encountering little goblin resistance. Mostly, the goblins threw rocks and fled, some falling to the fifty bowmen the Duke had loaned to the task. Throughout the morning, the forces had suffered no casualties.

Aron was straddled atop his horse, his friends beside him. They were their forces’ only cavalry, and one that held deadly purpose. If the fight turned desperate, Aron would charge cutting down any resistance before him. Aron was not supposed to take part in the battle, still recovering, but he would not let men die for the sake of his own health. But so far, none of that had been necessary.

At midday the men came to a halt at Aron’s suggestion to Iriun. They rested in a large clearing that had been clear cut several years before. Many of the men collapsed, tired from the marching. Some took brief naps, or joke with their friends. Others remained on watch, ready to move at a moment’s notice. Many of the men stared at Aron: He was outfitted in his best rune armor , as well as the red helmet. Aron could not help but wonder what was going through the heads of these men as they beheld the strange man in the strange armor. Aron’s friends pointed out that Iriun was much like Aron, something that Aron could not help but agree with. Iriun was nearby, examining his new sword. Aron could see Theron attempting to hide his smile as he examined it. He soon, however, noticed Aron’s gaze, and sheathed his sword.

Suddenly, an alarm was called. A man nearby shouted “The goblins are coming!”

The men quickly organized, a shaky line was established. The two hundred men formed a line two ranks deep stretching across the clearing. The ends of each line refused at a right angle comprising of twenty men each to ensure that they would not be easily flanked. Behind the main line, the bowmen formed a skirmish line, ready to pepper the goblins with their arrows. To Aron, the line looked strong.

Throughout the forest in front of all of the men screams and war cries could be heard. It was clear from the sounds that the goblins that had gotten away had gathered many of their kind and come searching. As they began to emerge into the clearing, it was clear that they had found them.

By Aron’s count, at least five hundred goblins and a couple dozen hobgoblins had come screaming out into the clearing. Their sudden appearance and numbers visibly shook the men of Lumbridge. The bowmen began firing, falling some with their rain of arrows, but without warning, many of the men began to slowly back away, weakening the line. They were still facing forward, but their fear was clear; the enthusiasm they had enjoyed during their training had evaporated at the site of so many.

Aron was about to charge into the front to help inspire the men, but Iriun had noticed this as well, and beat him to it. Emerging from the line and standing in front facing the charging creatures, Aron saw Iriun turn to face his men, with a large smile on his face.

“Men, I know many of you do not believe in me as a leader due to my age. However, I see many of you older men are slinking away from this fight. Why is that? Are you cowards? Or are you men of Lumbridge?!”

The goblins continued charging. They were only about one hundred meters away at this point. Many of them slowly retreating men had stopped at Iriun’s words, and listened.

Iriun continued “Men, I may only be a boy of eighteen, but right now I feel like I have the heart of a dragon. These goblins are numerous, but they are still only goblins. Do you intend to run and hide under your mothers’ skirts, the same mothers that told you wicked tales of goblins when you were mere toddlers? I was told those stories of evil goblins as a child, but as a “boy”, I stand here now on this field, and I see a charging horde of ugly green monsters, and I am not afraid. Can you say the same?”

There was nothing but silence. Then one man spoke up. “I’m with you, boy!”

Scattered cheers erupted along the line.

Iriun smiled, drawing his sword and pointing it to the blue sky. “Face the fears of your childhood, and fight back against them with me. Now…SHIELD WALL!”

A deafening roar of cheers went up, as the men who had formerly been retreating returned to their positions . Aron could not hide his smile as the shield wall formed, a bristling phalanx formed as the men pointed their spears in the direction of the charging goblins.

Iriun returned to the line. By now the creatures were fifty meters away, many having fallen to the arrows of the bowmen. Luckily, many of the hobgoblins had fallen to the arrows, only a few remaining.

The distance closed, until finally, there was a deafening crash.

The wave of creatures crashed into the line, but the line held magnificently. Dozens of goblins fell in an instant, forcing themselves onto the spears of the men of Lumbridge. The men fought back, thrusting their spears into the bodies of their green enemies. Goblins fell as the line of men held firm against their assault. Aron watched the battle from his horse, wishing he could join.

As quickly as it happened, the battle was soon over. The hobgoblins roared deeply, and the few remaining goblins began to fall back. Many turned and outright fled. As the goblins ran, the men of Lumbridge just stood there, shocked by their victory.

Aron drew his sword. The light blue metal gleamed in the sunlight, and Aron turned to his friends.

“Shall we?” and motioned his horse forward. Once he and the rest of his friends cleared the line of cheering men, he spurred his horse into a full charge.

Before he got too far away, he heard Iriun shout to his men “What are you doing, men? Are we going to let them have all the fun? CHARGE!!!”

Aron ran down all the goblins he could find, crushing them or slicing them. His friends followed suit, all falling in their wake. The rest fell to the charging men of Lumbridge, led by Iriun. Aron slowed his horse and turned, and saw Iriun charging and yelling “FOR LUMBRIDGE!!!!” as he and his men cut down the rest of the goblins.

The battle was over, and the men regrouped where they had originally been, many cheering as they did. Aron met with Iriun, who sheathed his sword as Aron dismounted from his horse.

“Congratulations, captain, on your wondrous victory” Aron exclaimed, clasping hands with Iriun. The boy beamed with pride.

A wounded goblin was brought forth and pushed to his knees in front of the pair of them.

“We found this one cowering amongst his dead friends. Probably hoped we would think he was dead and leave him be. Shall we end it?”

Ercern came riding up furiously. A minor leg wound was prevalent as he dismounted, almost falling from the pain.

“This one here was the one that got me. I recognize him. He got out of the way and sliced me in my leg. I ought to…” unsheathing his sword, black with goblin blood.

“No, wait!” said Iriun. He approached the goblin, drawing his own sword again. Stained black, the sword nonetheless gleamed in the light of the day. He pointed his sword, lifting the wounded goblin’s chin up. The poor thing looked to be a little young to Aron to be fighting. It looked scared to death.

All the men surrounded the scene, waiting to see what would happen.

Iriun looked around and looked back down at his captured foe. He knelt down to its level, keeping his sword under its chin, and spoke softly.

“You may not understand my tongue fully and I may not understand yours fully, but understand this. You will tell your friends, however many are left in these woods, that Lumbridge is a free town. It will no longer sit idly by while you raid and pillage our homes. If you and your kind ever harm my people again, the Boy Captain will destroy you and your kind. Is that clear?”

Though he could not understand the language, he understood the threat.

“Let him go” Iriun said.

The goblin got up off of the ground and fled, as quick as he could, into the forest.

The men began cheering “Boy Captain!!! Boy Captain!!!”

Aron tried speaking over the cheering. “Iriun, how many did we lose?”

Iriun beamed. “A couple dozen wounded, but not one man dead. It is a miracle”

Aron smiled. It was no miracle, he thought. It was skill and courage that carried the battle. Iriun, Aron believed, was one of the best leaders Aron had ever seen.
    Last edited by TheDarkKnight; December 26, 2012 at 01:45 AM.

Citizen

Blog Entries

Default Re: The Tale of Aron, Update Chapters 13 and 14, 12/25

Great work on those 3() updates.

The story is coming a long nicely, and it was great too see how you've extended it compared to the original version you posted.

Great victory for the men of Lummy () and I can't wait to see what Aron gets up to now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shankbot de Bodemloze View Post
    Great work on those 3() updates.

The story is coming a long nicely, and it was great too see how you've extended it compared to the original version you posted.

Great victory for the men of Lummy () and I can't wait to see what Aron gets up to now.
    I can't wait either...Cause to be honest, I have absolutely no idea what I want to do from here. I wish to flesh out the story to include much more, but I do not wish to make the story so large that it becomes unmanageable. I have some ideas...but...

Well. I don't know. There might be some serious divergence from the original story coming up. We shall see.

By the way, Iriun is a completely new character to the story as a whole. I just made him up created him after many days of pondering the need for a new character last night . His original name was going to be Therod, but then changed to be Urien (as defined by my girlfriend), but I realized that looked far too close to "urine"...Perhaps not the choicest of names.

His addition may cause some big changes down the line, as might the additions of other characters. You may even see some other ones return later...I have some interesting ideas swirling about my brain.

Who knows.

As I said. I know the general story about how the story begins and ends. It's now the fleshing out of the characters as well as the story in general that I hope will make the story far more interesting.

Citizen

Blog Entries

Sounds.... intriguing.

Take it where you want mate, I'm sure the world is big enough for Aron to do all sorts.... Barrows maybe?

Rex Anglorvm's Avatar Wrinkly Wordsmith

I had a fair bit of reading to catch up on here, as always Aron's adventures keep me interested.

Rep+

Rex

Blog Entries

Might be a fair while until the next update for a variety of reasons, the first of which is the fact that I completely wrote out a new chapter, which took forever, only to realize it was complete crap and quite short (it felt like I had written two thousand words and it only came out to about a thousand). But I've had some new ideas floating around in my head, so maybe those will come out later.

Blog Entries

I realized that I will perhaps never be truly satisfied with this chapter, so it would be best to just move on. I almost completely scrapped it so I could just condense all the events into one paragraph so that I could move on, but I have decided to keep it. If it seems like crap, I'm sorry.

This is now considered an unplanned mini-chapter. It was originally going to be much longer (and better) but that will no longer be the case.

Tale of Aron, Minichapter Three
    Minichapter Three After the battle, Aron had settled down in Lumbridge with Lysa and Nakash. Knowing he would need money for the purpose he had in mind but not wishing to leave the town for various jobs, Aron had bought a variety of seeds with what little money he had left. With the multitude of seeds, he set about attempting to start a farm. Aron had cleared the land around Lysa’s home of trees and brush, for the purpose. Knowing the land was likely not fertile for farming, Aron used his magic to attempt to make the land more viable for crops. After many months, it had become clear Aron’s plan had worked quite well. Watermelons, tomatoes, corn, and a variety of other crops flourished on the farm, the sale of which provided both Aron and Lysa with a suitable amount of money, Aron’s share providing him enough to work on his project.

As the crops matured throughout the months, Aron had not sat idly. In addition to spending time with his son, Aron had constructed a workshop attached to the Lysa’s home with some of the wood provided by the fallen trees. Inside, Aron had used the rest of the lumber to make several hundred spear shafts, all about six feet long. The work was hard and grueling, but well worth the effort. As he finished the last spear shaft, the crops were ready to be harvested. Enlisting the aid of several of the soldiers he trained, he harvested all the crops in no time. The crops sold within a week.

Aron used the money to buy enough iron ore to manufacture an equivalent number of spearheads. Using the forge of Lumbridge with the consent of the Duke, Aron shaped molten ore into identical spearheads. Sharpening each individually and finally attaching them to the shafts, Aron presented the spears to the Duke of Lumbridge as a gift to the soldiers of Lumbridge, to replace the subpar spears that Aron’s men had used in the battle that had occurred months before.

“Aron, I believe this is one of the finest gifts I have ever been presented. But I believe you deserve something in return” Duke Horacio had said.

And now Aron was admiring the gift that he had received: A beautiful shield that the Duke claimed was resistant against fire. A family heirloom, its intended purpose was to allow the wielder to slay dragons. However, most of the dragons had died out long ago, rendering the shield rather useless. Regardless, Aron cherished the gift.

A full year had passed since the battle, and Aron was quite content. Throughout the many months Aron had stayed in Lumbridge, he had finally become part of Nakash’s life. Despite his absence, Nakash’s personality was quite similar to Aron’s. Nakash was a toddler now, and he followed Aron around wherever he went. Aron told his son stories, mixing the stories he had heard as a youth with the stories of his own adventures. Of course, Aron left out any mention of battle or war, but the tales excited the child. He was young, but he already understood so much, and Aron could not comprehend why.

Many more months pass by in Lumbridge. Aron often sparred with Iriun, hoping to improve his fighting ability, but refused to take part in further training of the soldiers. He knew that that was no longer his job in Lumbridge, and left it to the capable hands of the young man. To Aron’s amusement, Iriun’s nickname, Boy Captain, had stuck after the battle.

Aron again planted crops, hoping to provide more money for his son and his sister-in-law once crops were fully grown again. About halfway through the growing season, Aron received word from King Roald of Varrock. Roald was requesting Aron travel to the Kingdom of Kandarin to meet with the monarch’s Tyras and Lathas, brothers and kings of West Ardougne and East Ardougne, respectively. The letter stated that the brothers’ endless quarreling was on the verge of war between the two cities, something that could not happen. Roald wished for Aron to mend the relationship between the brothers: the matter was of grave importance.

Aron consulted with Lysa. He could not imagine leaving, but Lysa seemed surprisingly open.

“Aron, I believe this to be too grave to ignore. I have not heard much of the Western Kingdom, but I imagine if the Kingdom becomes destabilized it could affect everyone. I do not wish for you to leave either, but Roald clearly trusts you and needs you on this. Please, go. We can take care of the crops come harvest, and I know you have been itching to get out of Lumbridge, despite your assertions to the contrary.

Aron could not deny this. He was happy in Lumbridge, but after exploring some of the world and knowing there was much more to offer, Aron’s itch to go on another adventure had worn on him. Reluctantly, he agreed.

At dawn the next day, Aron readied his horse and his supplies. He had decided to leave the shield that Horatio had given him, but would take his regular equipment as well as his battlestaff. He left a note to Lysa thanking her for everything. He made sure to give his sleeping son a kiss on the forehead before departing.

Aron’s trip through the forest was uneventful; the goblins had been driven deep underground, and were no longer troubling anyone. It took Aron two days at a light riding pace to reach Port Sarim. Within a couple days, Aron was sailing west, towards the land of Kandarin.

Sorry for the ridiculously long wait. I hope that it will not happen again.
    Last edited by TheDarkKnight; February 19, 2013 at 12:59 PM.

Default Re: The Tale of Aron, Update Minichapter Three 2/17

I think you were a little harsh on yourself, it was a nice simple 'bridging' chapter that take the reader onto more adventures no doubt!

Blog Entries

Maybe. I just did not like it at all. And now I realize that I may have actually undone some of my later story with this...I can't say why, though.

Citizen

Blog Entries

I can't find much wrong with it, as Rex said it does a good job of turning over a new page so to speak.

So nice to see Aron working on his farming, construction, and smithing. I assume he is P2P?

Good job mate, I am looking forward to his adventures in the West.

Blog Entries

Some news:

In about a month and a half it will be one year since I started rewriting this story and adding it to the forums. Not bad, I suppose, but I had originally wanted to be done well before now. However, in expanding the story I have greatly undone that "goal"

So I'm starting a new goal...I am planning to have this story completed by April 10th, the anniversary. I don't know whether I will be able to actually accomplish this or not, but I will try. Book three is going to be a pain mainly because it is not really divided into chapters...more like odd sections. So I will probably have to rewrite more of that than before. I still have no idea how I am going to bridge it between Books two and three because originally there was a multi-year gap between the two...now that may not occur. I do not know.

But I do plan on having a final chapter that is significantly larger than Chapter five in House Divided (for the rest of you who are not following that one, chapter five was over 6,600 words long). That much is clear. Unfortunately I will have to rewrite all of that because it was lost. But much of the rest of Book Three is intact, so it will just require some editing to make it more...exciting? It is rather boring...most of book three is a set up to something huge, so much of it is rather...tedious.

Anyway, I hope you will enjoy it. And again, I will try to have this all wrapped up on April 10th. With this done, I can focus on House Divided and my next story, planned to be a "mini-serial".

Citizen

Blog Entries

Glad to hear you'll be finish this off.

Best of luck.

Blog Entries

yeah we will see. I may do something in order to ensure it happens...I may do a big time jump and only allude to some events and return to them later in a series of short stories.

Just started reading this. Nice work.
    Good luck. Looking forward for MOAR.
    WIP. Watch this space. It'll be epic.

No, seriously.

Best of luck with that 10th of April deadline mate

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast