Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Tale of Aron, Update Chapter Fifteen, March 6th

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    took an arrow to the knee Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: The Tale of Aron, Update: Chapter Eight 6/22

Beginning work on chapter 9.
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Rex Anglorvm's Avatar Wrinkly Wordsmith

I've just read this from start to finish, and although I have never played Runescape, I can follow the plot fairly easily.

Just a thought but perhaps you could introduce a couple of new characters? Just perhaps so that Aron can have more dialogue and we (as the reader) can get to see more of this personality and what drives him.

Anyhow, it's a great story and I'm enjoying it - have some rep+

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Anglorvm View Post
    I've just read this from start to finish, and although I have never played Runescape, I can follow the plot fairly easily.

Just a thought but perhaps you could introduce a couple of new characters? Just perhaps so that Aron can have more dialogue and we (as the reader) can get to see more of this personality and what drives him.

Anyhow, it's a great story and I'm enjoying it - have some rep+
    Actually some new characters are on the way. Assuming I don't end up splitting the next chapter (a possibility) you will be meeting a new person soon, as well as several more in the remaining chapters of Book 2. I would give a bit more information, but it's slightly spoilerish towards the overall story.

Aron still has a long way to go. He has a few more adventures to go on (already written, but I am definitely going to improve upon), and perhaps a few new ones. A lot has actually happened in the game itself since I originally started writing this story (the earliest "edition" was written in late 2008/early 2009, if I remember correctly, and though I finished the overall story over time, I constantly re-wrote and added things. But the story of Aron actually began with a short story I originally wrote in 2007/2008 but I fear is lost.). Some of the adventures will only seen as a memory in Aron's mind, while others will actually be explored. Some of the changes I'm adding into the story necessitate some new explanations or adventures (I really can't go into more without revealing anything).

Though I'm disappointed with losing the last portion of book three, I remember most if not all of it, and I will be able to re-write and improve on it. I have already changed a few things relating to Book Three in my head, though it will likely change some more before I am satisfied. The ending I am hoping will be my best writing, so you can imagine how fickle I am being.

As for the dialogue, here's the thing. I have NEVER been good at writing dialogue. I did it quite a bit in the earlier versions of the story...There's a reason most of it hasn't made it back into the story. I think it's crap, much of it forced and cliched. But there are times when I am pretty much forced to use dialogue. That's why I use a sort of hybrid of first person and third person. It allows me to use the third person I am most comfortable with while also allowing dialogue when needed. But dialogue comes into greater play later in the story, from what I can recall of my ending of book three.

(Speaking of versions, I might go back and change some minor things in the earlier chapters. Nothing important. I have just sort of changed how certain things like the military are organized)

Also, I went on the game today for the first time in a long time. I hate many of the changes, but I am getting the itch to play again, mostly because I miss my friends, some of which I have known for many, many years. So if some updates are a bit more delayed than usual (though I hope they will never be as delayed as number eight), that MIGHT be a reason why .

Finally, I suppose this is as good a time as any to announce this. I have been off and on developing a sort of prequel in my head since I originally ended Book 2 (many moons ago ). I have yet to write a single word of it, but it is a highly working concept. You may not understand why I would want to bother with a prequel, but it is actually part of Aron's story, though it takes place a VERY long time before he is even born. It won't be nearly as massive as this, perhaps 2,000 words at max, but the events of this prequel factor greatly into the end of Book 2 and much of Book 3. Spoilers aside, I couldn't even talk about what is in my head because it would not make a bit of sense at all considering the story you know so far. But once it is revealed, which it won't be until I finish Aron's tale, you will understand.

So that's all for now. I'll try to have Chapter Nine up tomorrow (It's currently 2:47 AM, so I mean later today), but there's a good chance of reconnecting on Runescape as well as finishing the third season of Farscape (too many 'scapes) will eat up my time. But rest assured, it won't be a month until the next one .

Glad to see a new fan. Now I have, what, three? If there are more of you readers out there, please speak up. Even if you have seen better writing come from Stephanie Meyer, I'd like some feedback.
    Last edited by TheDarkKnight; June 28, 2012 at 04:52 AM.

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Quote Originally Posted by Gen. Chris View Post
    As for the dialogue, here's the thing. I have NEVER been good at writing dialogue. I did it quite a bit in the earlier versions of the story...There's a reason most of it hasn't made it back into the story. I think it's crap, much of it forced and cliched. But there are times when I am pretty much forced to use dialogue. That's why I use a sort of hybrid of first person and third person. It allows me to use the third person I am most comfortable with while also allowing dialogue when needed. But dialogue comes into greater play later in the story, from what I can recall of my ending of book three.

Glad to see a new fan. Now I have, what, three? If there are more of you readers out there, please speak up. Even if you have seen better writing come from Stephanie Meyer, I'd like some feedback.
    You have obviously put in a hell of a lot of work pulling your storyline together and it shows, also perhaps if you practice the dialogue more it will come into shape.

Think about how you would react in a given situation, here's a few to think on, for example a friend die's tragically - how do you react/cope/feel, or try to capture your feelings in the midst of battle for the first time - fear/anger/empathy, or your reaction if you won a great deal of money- joy/happiness/panic....think about situations and how you would react and respond to them, and then move a step onwards and think about how friends and family would react, from there its quite simple to move to the everyday persons reaction, even if they are from another culture, fantasy world or time.

Feel free to browse some of my stuff, Tale of Rome (ToR) especially; there are lots of different characters (it’s in the 3rd person) within the story coming from different angles.

As for fans I have had over 2,000 views of ToR, but don't have that many active fans, at the end of the day write how you would wish to and there will be people out there who will appreciate your work and the effort that went into creating it, some of them will even respond!

Anyway keep writing and posting, your material shows a lot of promise

Rex
    Last edited by Rex Anglorvm; June 28, 2012 at 07:53 AM.

Blog Entries

So...I've been distracted. I've spent numerous hours on the game today...Oops.

Some of it was for fun but I did do stuff that will come in handy for the story later (visual aids, mostly)

Blog Entries

Okay here's the problem.

I'm sort of at a minor crossroads in the story. I am thinking of some minor changes to the order of events for Aron. I'm thinking something that is supposed to happen very soon perhaps is a little TOO soon. I wish to fill it with another event, perhaps returning to the event in question right after. The problem is the thing I'm thinking of Aron participating in wouldn't make any sense, cause it would mean traveling half way across the world, and then traveling all the way back for him participating in the event in question. So I'm at a loss for how to put some time in between what Aron is doing now and the "problem" event.

Edit: Sometimes writing down your problems is one way to figure them out. I figured out two events to do to put some space in between where Aron is now and the problem event.

But now the problem is, which to choose
    Last edited by TheDarkKnight; July 01, 2012 at 01:05 AM.

Blog Entries

Well well well. Chapter 9 turned out a bit...longer...than I expected. I am adding a new adventure for Aron, but unfortunately for you guys, it will have to wait until next update. It was going to be in this one, but the sheer amount I expanded this chapter by meant it would take longer to give you an update, especially since the upcoming adventure has no notes or anything previously written on it by me. It will be as much a new experience for me as it is for you. Hence why I broke it up into this update and the next.

So here's chapter nine.

The Tale of Aron, Chapter Nine
    Chapter Nine Aron hammered the hot metal before him, forging the metal into the shape he desired. The work was almost as grueling as a battle. The heat of the forge as well as the work made sweat pour off his face onto the ground below. After several hours of the work, Aron was finally satisfied with his work, and he drenched the object in the water nearby. Aron wiped the sweat from his brow as the object in the water cooled and hardened. Though the hardest part of the work was done, there was still much to be done. The object would need to be annealed, edged, and then tempered.

The weeks of working under Vark had been exhausting but had yielded a high degree of satisfaction. Aron had started with simple things, forging a simple hand axe from bronze. His initial work was crude but promising, Vark had pointed out, and Aron soon advanced to more difficult objects, as well as a different metal. The work with iron had been quite an experience, the harder metal initially troubling Aron greatly. But like bronze, Aron soon mastered the dull grey metal. Aron could now claim a set of iron armor that he had made for himself, something very few men could say.

Once the object had cooled, Aron heated it and let it cool slowly, softening it. When it was done, he used the grinder to fashion an edge on the object, Vark watching from nearby. When Aron was satisfied, he heated and quenched the object numerous times, hardening the metal so that it wouldn’t break easily. When Aron was satisfied, he added the other objects to it, and gave it another go at the grinder, and finally polished it. At last, Aron was done.

The steel long sword shone brilliantly in the light of the forge. The grip was made of dark oak, while the pommel and hilt were made of the same steel as the blade. Aron had had the chance to personalize the blade some, but had chosen not to. He had only wanted to forge a plain, serviceable blade. The metal was inferior to his own battleaxe and his remaining mithril short sword, but it was deadly nonetheless. Perhaps if his son were to ever become a soldier, this blade, as well as the set of iron armor, would be a suitable weapon for him.

Aron returned to his quarters and donned his mithril chainmail, iron leg armor, and red helmet. The helmet was of a strange design: oval in shape, the helm covered everything but his mouth, with two holes for him to look out of. The helmet also had two small horns curving backward from the top of the head. The helmet reminded him of the descriptions of a dragon’s head. Aron could not find his shield, so he grabbed the iron one he had made, and sheathed his steel long sword in the scabbard he crafted for it, and went to the Black Guard training grounds.

The city of Keldagrim was still in a heightened state of war after the battle in the mines, and Aron knew he would find a training partner. Aron knew he looked ridiculous in his collection of armor and weapons all made out of different metals, but he did not care. He had not wielded a long sword in what felt like years, and wished to be try and regain the fighting style he had initially learned.

He found Grim at the training ground, and they set to work. Not wishing to harm each other, they went slow at first, doing basic fighting moves. Aron was amazed at how light the steel sword felt in his hand, Aron hadn’t realized until now how much stronger he had grown in the weeks of smithing. His swings felt practically effortless, even in the context of sparing.

A half hour of sparring led to both Grim and Aron feeling fit, and they soon ended. A dwarf had arrived with a message from the King concerning growing troubles. Aron left Grim to continue training with another dwarf, and went with the messenger to meet with the King.

The sight of Aron in his mismatched armor and weapons gave the dwarves in the King’s hall something to smirk at, but neither Aron nor the King paid them any mind.

The King spoke from his small throne as Aron removed his helm and bowed.

“Welcome, my friend. I’m afraid I have received some grave news concerning the northern border of the Kingdom of Asgarnia.” At this, Aron listened intently, for Falador was the capital of Asgarnia.

The King continued. “The city of Burthorpe lies north of Taverly, in the foothills of the same mountains that we dwarves call home. But another race calls the mountains home: the monstrous trolls. For years, the Burthorpe military, especially their Imperial Guard, has been combating the trolls, who have been more a nuisance than a true threat. But recently, the city has noticed a large increase in activity amongst the trolls, organization they have never seen before. The Crown Prince, the son of the King of Falador, has called out for any help should an attack come, because the Prince fears they would not be able to hold back an all out assault of the trolls.”

Aron spoke up at last “My King, I understand this grave threat. But why does the King of Falador not send aid to his son? Surely the forces of Falador behind white armor of the White Knights would be enough to aid Burthorpe.”

“Ah, Aron, that is where logic fails. I do not know. I have heard rumors before that King Vallance and his son Anlaf had a falling out years ago, and since you have been back, the King of Falador appears to have taken ill and disappeared. It is rumored that the White Knights have been controlling the King’s decisions, and perhaps the throne itself, for the past couple months. Neither the Crown Prince nor the Imperial Guard have taken kindly to the idea, and the issue is now clouding what should be a simple decision.”

Aron considered the King’s words. He could unfortunately believe the rumor of the White Knights seizing power. Though they looked about as knightly as a man could be, Aron felt they were not all that they presented themselves to be.

“So, what now, my King?”

“Please, my friend, I am not your King. Obviously, the next closest ally for the Crown Prince would be us. The dwarves have had their fair share of skirmishes with the trolls over the years. But I cannot send any dwarves. We are still under threat of the Chaos dwarves, and our last victory, though decisive, still cost us a number of warriors. I bring this to your attention to see if you would be willing to assist Burthorpe.”

Aron was surprised. “My…Lord. I am only a man. What effect can I possibly have in a battle that involves such large creatures?”

“Aron, from what I am told, you had a large effect in the mines, not even considering your defeat of the leader of the chaos dwarves. You are known now in three different kingdoms, though perhaps not a household name. I’m certain Anlaf has heard of you, and will welcome you and your exploits as a significant morale boost. I do not doubt your presence will be enough to help against a potential battle with the trolls.”

Such confidence from a King who has seen so many years and battles was all that it took to convince Aron.

“When should I leave? I still do not have a sense for when it is day and night down here.”

The King laughed “No, I would not expect you to. It is approaching dinner, now. Far too late to leave, even by mine cart.”

Aron’s stomach rumbled. Of course, how could I forget you, he thought.

The king motioned to the side entrance of the hall, where a guard opened it. Vark and several of his apprentices entered, carrying what looked to brown packages of varying shapes and sizes. Each one laid them on one of the side tables in the hallway. Aron looked quizzically at the King, who motioned Aron to go over to the table.

As Aron approached the table, the dwarves unwrapped the packages, revealing several pieces of equipment made of runite. Aron spun around and looked again at the King, confused.

“My friend, they are a gift to you. Runite is a very precious metal, and is only reserved for the best of warriors in the world. Besides perhaps the metal your helmet and dagger are made of, runite is the strongest. You of course found this out during your battle, where I’m told your runite battleaxe served you well.”

Aron nodded, astonished at the magnitude of the gift. He walked down the table, examining each piece of equipment. There was a pair of plated boots and gauntlets, followed by a set of plate legs and even a set of chainmail. The chainmail stunned Aron…He was aware of how long it took to create a set of such, and with the precious metal, the mail alone seemed too much for Aron. Aron had to force tears away.

Continuing down the table, a new rune kite shield welcomed Aron’s gaze. The King saw Aron pause, said “It is not new. Vark repaired your shield, hammering out the dents and strengthening it. The shield you used in battle, though of great quality, had not been maintained as well as it should have.”

Aron nodded in appreciation, now knowing why he could not find his shield earlier, and moved on to the next item. It was a crossbow, the limbs of which were made of the same light blue metal. Aron looked at Vark, who smiled. Vark had known Aron had an interest in learning the crossbow after the battle. Vark had told him the crossbow was not as difficult as a regular bow, and would be an easy learn. But Aron had not had the opportunity while in Keldagrim, his time being taken up by smithing and other things. He noted two small boxes, the contents of which Aron saw was steel bolts.

The King spoke up “I believe the sharpened bolts will be of aid when it comes to fighting trolls. Their hide is tough, but good steel can penetrate it.”

Aron nodded, and moved on to the last item. It was a long sword in its scabbard, roughly the same size as the one Aron had at his waist. Aron picked it up, noting the dark wood of the scabbard, and unsheathed the blade. The sight of it took Aron’s breath away. Razor sharp, the metal shone even more brilliantly than his new steel sword. The tip was sharper than Aron could have imagined. He pitied the enemies that would meet this sword. His gaze moved down to the steel cross guard, which appears to have been inlaid two bright red rubies. He then examined the grip, as well as the pommel. Both were made of different materials than he was used to. He could not identify them.

This time Vark spoke up. “The handle is made of bone. The body of the warlord you defeated was not burned at first, instead put at the entrance to the mines to serve as a warning to the chaos dwarves. I decided when making the sword that a handle made from the blood of your greatest victory would represent your greatness. The pommel is made of electrum, an alloy of gold, silver, and copper. The metal is not normally used in weapons, but I figured it would be good for a warrior such as yourself.”

Aron loved the sword. If no one could tell, the large smile on his face gave it away.

Aron tried to speak, both the King and Vark knowing his gratitude.

“Aron, my friend, I must attend to other matters now. I look forward to hearing of your victories in the future. Good luck in your future quests.”

Aron bowed. The other dwarves helped Aron take his new equipment back to his quarters, where food was waiting for him. He thanked Vark again, as well as his assistants, who left quickly. Aron ate his meal in silence, thinking of his new equipment. He had too much to take with him now. He could never manage to carry all of his new equipment as well as the stuff he made for himself out of Keldagrim. He decided he would leave his iron equipment in Keldagrim. He would take his steel sword and old mithril equipment, however. Everything else, of course, would come with him. Nothing could stop him from leaving his new runite equipment behind.

Aron slept well that night, and awoke several hours before what he suspected was dawn. He piled his iron equipment into a neat pile and left a note, explaining. He donned his new equipment. He imagined he was quite the sight. Aron left his quarters and made his way to the mine cart station. There was an operator already ready, must have known he would have a traveler this morning. Aron told him he was traveling to Taverly, and the operator readied the cart. Aron climbed in, and off the cart sped.

The trip out of Keldagrim seemed even shorter than the trip in, so many months ago. Aron thanked the operator, and climbed his way out of the cavern that held the small station. Aron emerged into the cool morning, just as the sun was peaking over the horizon to the east. There lay his city of Varrock, but he quickly remember that was not his destination. He turned his head north, where the mountains that he had emerged from continued into the distance. There lay Burthorpe, and their enemy. Aron’s enemy.

Aron walked into the sleepy town that was Taverly. He went to the residence of the druid that cared for his horse, but did not see any activity in the house. He went around back to the stable and found his horse well tended to. The horse seemed pleased to see him, whinnying at Aron’s appearance. Aron saddled up his horse, and left a note and some gold in an obvious spot, thanking the druid.

By now, the sun was about halfway above the horizon. A new day was beginning. Aron looked east again, longing to return to Misthalin, to see his son. But Burthorpe needed him more. He pointed his horse north, and began his journey to the northern mountains.

For the heck of it, I will provide the original amount the section above covered. I will have to omit some things as it will give away the adventure I have put off until after this and the next update.

Original
    Original Aron spends 6 months in Keldagrim, learning the secrets of smithing and exploring the new land. Everywhere he goes, he is known. He makes a steel medium helmet, and a steel longsword, and the head smither, whose name is Vark, is impressed at how well a beginner made them. Aron also spends more time with Grim, befriending him, and getting to know him more. Aron decides to try to make a battleaxe for Grim. He goes out and mines some mithril ore, smelts it with a little bit of coal. He then takes the bars he made and goes an hammers them out into the battle axe. He then goes outside the city with his handaxe, and finds a beautiful yew tree, with a branch the exact length he needed. He cuts it, and brings it back and attaches the handle to the axe, and presents it to Grim. Grim loves the axe, and decides to retire his old steel one, which chipped in the battle. *snip*

Aron steps into the sunlight, something he had done rarely since being in the city. He looked into Taverly, knew his horse was waiting for him. He walked down there, his horse seeing him before Aron saw him, neighing, happy to see him again. Aron walked inside, paid the people for the extra time spent. The people look at how much the warrior has changed, admired his new blood-red helmet. Aron left, and got on his horse. *snip*

Yep. That's it. About two hundred and fifty words expanded to 2,400. I hope the changes were worth it. The text that comes after the first "snip" mentioned the adventure that has been pushed back. Same with everything after the second.

(Note. I would provide the earlier editions of the earlier chapters, but I wrote over them. Plus, the changes weren't all that much different.)

--

So what's next?

The next update will probably not be a full chapter, but the first "mini-chapter". As I said, it was supposed to be attached to this update, but it would have prolonged the time needed to give you guys an update. Once I finish the mini-chapter, the update after will get the story back on track. But I am considering doing a somewhat major change a little bit later in this "book". It will sort of be a change of setting from an adventure in the last chapter of this book, while fulfilling essentially the same purpose. It will also make a bit more sense, in my opinion, in the long run. I will also be adding another adventure to book 2, which will help set up the change I have in mind. I have a bunch of ideas on the arc as a whole, and it will have long-lasting effects until the end of the story.

So I hope you enjoy. As always, constructive criticism highly appreciated. This was my first major attempt at dialog in a while, so forgive me if everything anything seems a bit shaky.
    Last edited by TheDarkKnight; July 07, 2012 at 03:36 PM.

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Default Re: The Tale of Aron, Update: Chapter Nine 7/03

Best chapter so far, really really good. The dialogue was good, and I felt Arons emotions. +rep

I'm glad to see you sorted everything out, and I'll look forward to seeing Aron fight some trolls with his new armour, although I have to ask what ever happened to that chapter about the Mage?
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

A very good chapter, your dialogue was fine, I know you were concerned but it was honestly very good.

Rex

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shankbot12 View Post
    although I have to ask what ever happened to that chapter about the Mage?

I have no idea what you're talking about...

Borissomeone's Avatar Citizen

Started reading this as well...going to take me awhile to catch up with all these fine stories. Very nice work. + rep

Under the Patronage of TheFirstONeill.

Blog Entries

Well I hope you enjoy it, Boris.

I've been forming ideas in my head while I play, but I haven't written anything in a while. Sorry about that

I've been playing the game a lot and talking a lot ingame, as well as watching the shows I had set aside throughout the year for the summer session. It's a bit much to do in addition to writing. Once I finish the major thing I'm doing in game, I'll switch back to writing.

Sorry for the delay.

Scottish King's Avatar Campidoctor
    Content Emeritus

Very good work! + rep
    The White Horse: Hanover AAR (On going ETW AAR)
    Tales of Acamar: Legends WS Yearly Award Best Plot Winner (On-going CW Piece)
    The Song of Asnurn: An Epic Poem MCWC VI Winner (On-hold CW Piece)
    Tales of Acamar: Outbreak (Finished)
    To Conquer the World for Islam A Moor AAR (Finished)

Blog Entries

Hey guys. I'm currently recovering from a hacker attack on me. They stole my email and used it to actually steal my account in the game.

I should HOPEFULLY be able to get it back, but there's always a possibility I won't be able to.

I had to completely reboot my computer to get rid of the keylogger the guy used, and I believe I got all of the story onto a flash drive before rebooting everything. But I am simply in no mood to write right now.

Blog Entries

Well, it looks like the guy gained access to my bank ingame...Which means bye bye items.

*Edit: I got my account back. But he did manage to take a bunch of my valuables. It means I won't be able to provide any visuals for a while, especially since I had to reboot my computer completely. I lost all the pics I had already taken.
    Last edited by TheDarkKnight; July 27, 2012 at 05:18 PM.

Citizen

Blog Entries

Sorry to hear that mate. Surely Jagex will sort things out for you?

Blog Entries

They don't recover items or anything because it'd be really easy to abuse.

Pretty much the goal I had planned out for summer is ruined cause the guy stole all my supplies for it. And as I said, he took everything I was going to use for visuals as well.

I'll try to have that minichapter up soon. I feel horrible for not putting that up yet. It's just difficult to write while trying to recover from all this. I was actually in the middle of the minichapter when the attack happened.

Citizen

Blog Entries

Fear not mate, we'll let you off - considering what has happened.

I'll look forward to the next chapter, but there is no rush.

Blog Entries

Well, it took a lot longer than I expected to write this short update. I apologize profusely for that. I banged the rest of it out over the past hour or so after having the story in my head for a while now, but no desire to actually writing it out. As it is a short update (as promised) it is not an actual chapter but the first of a couple mini-chapters.

So here we go.

Tale of Aron, Mini-chapter One
    Mini-chapter One Aron peered his head over the battlements, his loaded crossbow in his hands. He aimed at a large gray figure, moving swiftly in the light of dusk. A boulder sailed over his head, fired from the castle behind Aron, missing all the bodies below. Aron steadied his breath, knew his aim was true. Aron pulled the trigger mechanism, the bolt shooting forth. A loud roar and the thud of a body on the hard mountain soil made Aron smile. Another troll that will no longer trouble Burthorpe.

When Aron had arrived in Burthorpe two weeks before, he had not expected to be involved in more of a drawn out siege. Aron spent most of the time on the wall that separated Burthorpe from the lands controlled by the trolls, his aim giving the trolls some pause. He had only entered melee combat when the trolls had managed to break through the gate. He left the men stationed on the walls and ran to the broken gate, where he and the Imperial Guard fought off the gray beasts. There Aron used his battle axe to slay several of the beasts, the axe hacking into the tough flesh of the large monsters. In that melee Aron saw horrors he would never forget...The trolls used not only wooden clubs but their own hands, throwing men about like dolls. Aron saw men die from having their chests cave in from the force of the troll attacks, others from their heads being ripped off their shoulders. The worst was seeing a teenager, a fresh recruit in the Imperial Guard, torn in half, the jubilant troll chief throwing the two halves at the crowd of sickened soldiers. Aron slayed that beast personally, avenging the child of Burthorpe.

But that was in the past. The battle proper had mostly died down, only sporadic fights which were quickly ended by Aron and the rest of the crossbowmen. The grounds below the wall reeked with the corpses of the trolls, gagging many of the men. For Aron the worst wasn't the smell but the nightmares of the horrors he had seen.

Aron was deep in his thoughts when a member of the Imperial Guard approached him.

"Aron, Prince Anlaf has requested your audience"

"What for?" Aron inquired.

"It is not my place to say, but you better come quickly."

Aron gathered his things up. Aron took another look out over the battlefield and followed the soldier off the wall and towards the castle. He had only met the Crown Prince once, when he arrived. Aron had come to understand that the prince was fairly secretive about his business, especially since he and his father had had a falling out. Anlaf had welcomed Aron's assistance as a representative of the dwarves, and then went back to his business.

The Prince's hall was dimly lit as Aron and the Imperial Guard member entered, but Aron could see Anlaf was not pleased. He and his court were also not alone. Even in this light the armor of the White Knights shone brightly, in stark contrast to the dull gray and black armor of the Imperial Guard. The half dozen or so White Knights turned in Aron's direction, all of them except for one with their helmets on. Even in these dark times, Aron could sense the tension between the White Knights and the Imperial Guard. Aron removed his red helmet as he approached the Prince.

"Welcome to my hall again, Aron. I see you have noticed my...guests. They have come all the way from Falador to speak with you. Allow me to introduce Ercern of the White Knights" the prince said, gesturing towards the knight without the helmet.

Ercern stepped forward, eyeing Aron's helmet. He held out his hand, which Aron took.

"Aron, I have been sent by the King Vallance. The King has requested we bring you south so that you may assist us in a small campaign. Our King believes that dark wizards have created a place of learning within our realm, in a large tower by the sea. King Vallance will not tolerate such things within his lands. He would consider it a great favor for a man such as yourself to help in discovering whether the tower is indeed what he fears, and if so, assist in...dismantling it."

Aron held his emotions back. Did the King really believe Aron was important enough to pull him out of Vallance's own son's war with the trolls? And what use would he be against magicians, whom Aron had never fought against and couldn't even if he tried?

It was as if Ercern knew what Aron was thinking. "Vallance saw to it your misgivings were considered. I have brought ten good crossbowmen to replace you for the duration of conflict that Burthorpe is currently enduring. Also, I can see doubt on your face about facing wizards. We have our own, out of the Wizard's Tower south of Draynor Village, who will be doing the primary fighting should it come to it. We White Knights as well as a small contingent of the regular army and militia are only there should the possible fighting exceed beyond the magical means. Personally, I don't see why you are so important that our King would postpone the campaign for us to attempt to bring you south. No offense intended, but I only see a regular young man, no champion worthy of such a trek into the freezing northern mountains. Though, I won't question my king's wisdom, nor will I question that of the dwarves who saw fit to outfit you in such armor. Will you join us?"

The mention of the freezing mountains was what helped Aron decided: He was not used to this sort of weather. The past couple of weeks of cold as well as the nature of the battle had taken its toll on Aron. He nodded in agreement.

Anlaf now spoke. "Aron, thank you for your assistance in our fight against the trolls. I only ask one favor of you. As your ride south you will undoubtedly meet our wounded in Taverly, where the druids are nursing them as best as they can. The nature of Burthorpe is not one of rehabilitation, hence their recovery taking place there. Please tell them that I want them to return to duty as soon as they are fit, but not a moment too soon. We need soldiers, but we need healthy soldiers. That is all I ask. I wish I could thank you properly for your assistance, but I have nothing to give."

Aron spoke "Yes, Prince Anlaf. I will be sure that they receive your message" he turned to Ercern now, asked "when do we leave?".

"As soon as you're packed. We have a long way to travel".

Since I already have the basics for chapter 10 written out (as in, it needs to be fleshed out considerably considering it used to be a short chapter that consisted of the events of chapter 9, the events of this update if it was part of the original story, and the next update), it shouldn't take TOO long for the next update, but I won't make promises I can't keep. I hope you enjoy this short update.

Scottish King's Avatar Campidoctor
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: The Tale of Aron, Update M-C One: 8/06

I liked the update and look forward to the next one.
    The White Horse: Hanover AAR (On going ETW AAR)
    Tales of Acamar: Legends WS Yearly Award Best Plot Winner (On-going CW Piece)
    The Song of Asnurn: An Epic Poem MCWC VI Winner (On-hold CW Piece)
    Tales of Acamar: Outbreak (Finished)
    To Conquer the World for Islam A Moor AAR (Finished)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast