Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: The Tale of Aron, Update Chapter Fifteen, March 6th

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: The Tale of Aron, Update Minichapter Three 2/17

Of course now that I say that I will be busy for a while

But Spring Break will allow me tons of time away from my games to do this...
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Blog Entries

Default Re: The Tale of Aron, Update Minichapter Three 2/17

Tale of Aron, Chapter Fifteen
    Chapter Fifteen Aron had never been so grateful to find his feet on stable land again. For the past several days Aron had been on Lady Milia, a cargo ship that had taken Aron from the shores of the Kingdom Asgarnia to the docks of Ardougne in the kingdom of Kandarin. He gazed across the small harbor, the noon light helping him see several ships, some of them large ones belonging to the Kandarin Navy. The small navies of Kandarin and Asgarnia mostly fought skirmishes against pirates; large scale naval battles had not happened for generations. For what it was worth, Aron hated the sea, and could not imagine having to fight on it.

Aron had left his horse in Port Sarim, so it would not suffer the journey. Due to this, he had traveled relatively lightly. Before leaving the boat Aron had equipped himself in his armor, his shield over his back and his sword and dagger at his waist. He also carried his battlestaff, which he carried on his own. Leaving the docks, Aron found his way towards the main section of the city. Or rather, the Eastern city. The city of Ardougne and the kingdom to a degree had been divided when the brothers Lathas and Tyras had inherited the throne from their father, and had quarreled ever since. Aron had been sent to try to resolve this. He hoped he would not fail.

Stopping for some time in the market, Aron attempted to acquaint himself with this new and fantastic place. The city was vast and confusing. Aron had been sure he would have become lost several times had he not seen the castle from the harbor. Aron bought a loaf of bread, hungry from lack of proper food on the journey. As he ate he watched the marketplace: bustling and booming, there was no indication of any coming conflict between the twin kingdoms. Aron was surprised to see several apparent knights standing watch in the marketplace, along with many other men who appeared to be high ranking noblemen or warriors.

“Tell me” Aron said to the man he just bought the bread from “why are there so many Knights and other warriors guarding the marketplace? Surely there are other men available for such a task?”

The man rubbed his chin “It is true, and in fact there are low level guardsmen that are posted throughout the marketplace. You see, we have not been to war in a long time, and there are no threats to suggest we will be any time soon. We have a fairly large crime problem in the city, though, and the men are better utilized in guarding than training, according to the king.”

A pair of men in light blue armor passed by Aron, along with a pair of warriors wearing high quality steel plate mail engraved with the star of Saradomin on the chest.

“Who are they?” Aron inquired.

“The men in the blue armor are Heroes, men who are a sort of mercenary force employed by the city. I’m not sure why they are being paid for by the city in a time of peace…” the baker stated “the other two are Paladins, holy warriors that are technically part of the Kingdom’s military but in reality are only headquartered here.”

Aron now realized that some of the men nearby had been watching Aron since he arrived, including some of the men serving the king. He was also concerned with the words of the baker, wondering whether the general populace of the city was aware of the looming conflict between the two kingdoms…it was hardly a time of peace. Thinking it was time to leave, Aron bid the baker goodbye and headed towards the castle.

Aron, crossing the river Dougne, finally arrive at the castle. Two soldiers of the kingdom guarded the entrance. Both were lightly armored, wearing a light helm, padded leather, and a spear and kite shield. Compared to what Aron was wearing, they might as well be naked. Nearby were two knights of the city, talking in the courtyard beyond the gate.

“I’m here to speak with King Lathas” Aron declared.

The men did not say a word. The two knights, clad in iron and steel, came up to Aron. “You cannot pass. The king does not wish to be disturbed right now” said one.

“Good sir, I am Aron of the kingdom of Misthalin, and I have traveled a long way from Lumbridge, on the wishes of Duke Horacio. I did not travel all this way to be turned away from the very gates I have hoped to see since leaving the town” Aron stated, resting his staff on the ground. He tried to put a friendly smile on his face to reassure the knight.

“Look Aron, I have never heard of you, and I do not care about Lumbridge or Misthalin. I am a Sir Pedua, a knight of the city, and one of many under command of King Lathas, and I am telling you that he does not wish to be disturbed. You may not enter” the knight said, resting his hand on his sword, the other knight doing the same.

Aron was flustered. He moved closer “Listen, sir, if I could just…”

“Are you deaf? Get back!” the knight shouted, shoving Aron back. The sudden force of it made Aron drop his battle staff. The two knights drew their swords, pointing them at Aron.

Aron drew his long sword and dagger in anger. “I am warning you now, sirs, do not do this” he warned harshly.

“Men, on me!” shouted Pedua. The two guards assumed a battle-ready position, spears pointing directly at Aron, terror in their eyes. More guards and several more knights arrived at the sound of the commotion, the men readying their weapons like the four other before Aron. All glared at Aron’s dagger, the blood red color of it clearly unnerving many of them.

Sweat poured down Aron’s face. Would he really be forced to kill these men attempting to defend himself?

As the tension reached the breaking point, a voice called out “MEN! Stand down or I will throw all your asses in the stockades.”

A tall man emerged behind the group of soldiers. Clad in all steel, resting a large two handed sword on his shoulder, he was intimidating even to Aron.

The fierceness of the order compelled all but the aggressive knight before Aron to back off. Pedua, anger in his eyes, glared back and forth between the large man and Aron.

“That includes YOU, Sir Pedua!”

“You do not command me, Calor.” Pedua said fiercely.

“Aye…that is true, sir, but I as master at arms AND captain of the castle command the castle and the immediate vicinity. And you WILL stand down” Calor stated.

And that ended it. Pedua, frustrated, sheathed his sword. He and his companion stormed off to the castle.

The other men dispersed, leaving the two guardsmen standing between Aron and Calor. Calor, motioned with his arm. “Come, Aron, King Lathas wishes to see you” and began walking to the castle entranceway.

Aron, still in high anxiety over the confrontation, sheathed his weapons and picked up his battle staff, quickly ran to catch up to the man.

As Aron took off his red helmet to wipe the sweat from his brow, Calor spoke. “I hope you can forgive me for the behavior of Sir Pedua. He has been in a bad mood ever since the death of his brother reached his ears. He died under the service of King Tyras.”

Aron, surprised, said “What happened? And why are two brothers serving two separate kings?”

Calor continued as they walked in to the castle proper, nearing the stairs “I cannot say anything to either question. It’s been a mystery to me as well.”

They climbed the stairs, Aron replacing the helmet back on his head. “That is a nice helmet. Red and shaped like a dragon’s head. I imagine it is quite terrifying to witness in battle. Where’d you get it?”

“Killed a chaos dwarf over it. We had a disagreement.”

Calor laughed. “I suppose if you are making up stories it means you don’t want to tell me. Fair enough.”

Aron was not surprised the man did not believe him. The news of the chaos dwarves must be relatively unknown in the world. They reached the second floor. A few knights and common soldiers were in the hallway, standing guard or talking with each other.

They reached large, opulent doors. Two guards were standing stock-still, eyes straight ahead. “The king is expecting you. Farewell, Aron.” Calor said, turning and leaving.

The two guards opened the doors. “Come in, come in!” Aron heard.

Aron walked through the doorway. Standing before him in the large room was King Lathas. Tall, long bearded, and golden crowned, Lathas looked every bit the king.

“Welcome Aron. Wine?” the King said, holding a large metal goblet already filled with the red liquid.

Knowing it would be rude to decline, Aron responded “Yes, thank you your majesty” taking the goblet. He took a sip, the flavor sweet.

“Ah Aron, please just call me Lathas. Now, to business? I believe you are here regarding myself and my dear brother.”

Aron was stunned. He could understand the king knowing his name due to the commotion just minutes before, but why he was there?”

“Oh do not look so surprised. I have spies everywhere. I have known you were coming possibly before you did. Now, about my brother…” he said, clearing his throat. “You have arrived rather late to quell anything between Tyras and myself. He left, yet again, several weeks ago. He has gone West again to the distant lands of Tirannwn.”

Aron was confused. “Pardon me, your Maj…Lathas. I have never heard of this place before.”

“Aha! Of course you have not. Well, briefly then… Tirannwn is the lands west of here beyond the Arandar mountain range. The land is populated by the ancient elves, who have lived there for thousands of years since retreating from the rest of the continent. My brother has become infatuated with the place, and has taken much of his army there to explore and maintain contact with the elves. The cost of this has been the neglect of his portion of the kingdom and especially that of West Ardougne. A plague broke out several years ago, forcing me to erect a wall between our two cities. Lathas returned a couple months ago to recruit more men, and the reason for our quarrel was that I urged him to return home permanently. His people were suffering and needed him back, but he would not listen. After our long and drawn out argument, he decided it was time to return to the Western lands. He left orders to his general to recruit more men in the city and countryside and then follow him after several weeks. He had intended on doing that on his own but our argument had occupied him and delayed him to the point that he had to rush back. I suspect by now he and the few men he had with him have traversed the Underground Pass and have rejoined his army in Tirannwn.”

It was a lot to take in. Aron was finding it difficult to process. Stories of elves was told to him by his father when he was young, but he had always thought of them as just stories. Now to learn that the elves really existed and in a land far beyond his understanding…And this Underground Pass…

“Lathas, what is this pass you speak of? Surely no natural tunnel could extend throughout an entire range.”

“Ah…Aron, that is something I cannot answer. I know that it is not natural, for sure. But I know not anything else. I’m certain my brother Tyras could explain it to you better.”

At this Aron realized he had traveled this whole way for nothing. He frowned at the thought of returning home so soon despite his desire to return anyway.

Lathas was excellent at reading faces. “No Aron, I still have a use for you. I want you to travel to Tirannwn and try to…“convince” my brother to return home. We have both heard of you…how he heard of you while out west for so long is beyond me…and I believe your words may somehow convince him to come home. His people need him…his kingdom, needs him. His half of the kingdom decays further every day without his presence…A kingdom needs a king. I cannot assume the control of the city in his absence per the wishes of our departed father as long as he remains king to help the city on my own. Therefore, it is his responsibility, his duty, to be here. Please, Aron. You must do this…”

The thought of visiting such a foreign land had already convinced him before the King had finished his speech. Despite his desire to return home, Aron would go west and attempt to convince a king to return home.

I'll have you know...this is radically different than how this part of the story was originally written. How will this affect the story? Probably not too much. But damn is it different.

Hope you enjoy.

Will try to have the followup chapter up ASAP. Not sure if this arc will have one or two more chapters, cause it really could go either way.

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Default Re: The Tale of Aron, Update Chapter Fifteen, March 6th

Good job mate, I am looking forward to see where you take it from here, what changes you make etc.

Is this elf-place the one where you could get that bow that didn't need any arrows?
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shankbot de Bodemloze View Post
    Good job mate, I am looking forward to see where you take it from here, what changes you make etc.

Is this elf-place the one where you could get that bow that didn't need any arrows?
    Yes, you are correct. The crystal bow

Blog Entries

I got a subtle-yet-not-so-subtle rep message today from Shanky, reminding me of my promise to finish this next week. I will not lie...That is not going to happen. I have been dealing with a variety of personal problems, the least of which is the 6 essays I have to complete this month. I was hoping to get those done sooner but other stuff got in the way. I have also been using what little free time I have had in the past month trying to do other things on the forums (such as game and movie/show reviews) yet I have not been able to update either of those in a while either. I cannot believe how quickly the month of March went by, but now I am frantic to get everything I need to get done before summer.

So, I will consider this, along with House Divided, on a temporary hiatus, again. I hate to do it but I would rather wait so I can focus 100% on it and give you guys quality updates. I MAY at least try to finish book two before the end of the semester since it's only a few more chapters, but no promises.

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

I thought it was rather subtle.

Sorry to hear this mate, but yeah RL is more important. I hope things go well for you. We'll still see you around the Study though? And I'll look forward to the enxt update no matter how long the wait is.
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

Rex Anglorvm's Avatar Wrinkly Wordsmith

I've just read the last chapter, so feel free to take your time with the next!

A nice change of pace to the last update.

Rep+

Blog Entries

How was it a change of pace?

I'm curious.

Rex Anglorvm's Avatar Wrinkly Wordsmith

Quote Originally Posted by Gen. Chris View Post
    How was it a change of pace?

I'm curious.
    Well I suppose after the battle of recent chapters it seemed a little more, relaxed, even though the threat of violence hovered in the background it never happened. I did like the stand off though!

Blog Entries

Well, that was me trying my hand at other things...I seem to be fairly good at writing battle scenes while not very good at exposition. That is partly why there has been relatively few battle scenes in House Divided...I'm partly using it as an experiment in my ability to write other things. Same with Tale of a Roman Assassin, though it did have a small scale "scuffle".

Though, I think with House Divided, I made up for it with Chapter Five

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456