Thread: PC specs

Default PC specs

I've noticed that ROP seems --and this is only at times -- a wee bit more (and I emphasize, just a little bit) more laggy than vanilla during the battles. Is that because of the animations? Missing sprites?

Again, this is not an issue; it does not detract from gameplay in the least bit. Just asking from a modding/tech standpoint.

p4 3.2 gig
    2 gigs ram
    geforce 6800 256mb

unit size large
    vegetation high
    grass low
    effects low
    unit detail medium

Let me reiterate: this is a great mod that will remain on my hard drive! :original:

Default Re: PC specs

This is one of those questions i would love to answer but don't have the neccesary knowledge to do so. I can tell you the skins for our mod have been placed in a PAK file to reduce battle lag. But thats about all I know of the technical side.

Hopefully Nero will be by to explain how he worked this.

Thanks for the compliments!

Kaweh's Avatar Aerani

As far as I know, mods will always lag a bit more than vanilla RTW, since the models are different (a bit more polygons and such), the textures are more detailed, changes like more grass and such are made, etc.

K.K
    Last edited by Kaweh; June 15, 2006 at 07:36 AM.

SIBLESZ·CRANDAR·SIMETRICAL​·DARTH VADER·KAWEH·RAVEN DARKWING·KALOS
    · PROUD MEMBER OF ROMA SURRECTUM II ·

Thanks Gents. Noticed the same effect with RTR, and, to a lesser extent, Chiv TW.
    Great Mod. Can't wait to see what's next.

It could be because of the new animations we're using, but the sprites are definitely there. They're even converted to .dds (about 1/5 the size of .tga), and put in .pak files to save your pc. But..like KK noted, the models in general have a higher poly count, and also, we don't have low poly models for larger viewing distances. But if we figure out how to make those easily, we'll definitely use them in the big version of ROP we're working on.
    Automating RTW Coding and Balancing with PHP and MySQL (online)

Lead developer of:

Latest RoP Release: ROP v2.2
    Under the Patronage of the magnificent Rez