Thread: Need the aid of our good modders since the unitīs colours are no changing!

Decanus

Icon9 Need the aid of our good modders since the unitīs colours are no changing!

Iīve tried my best to create (and not only edit) a unit for the Austrian Empire, but for some reason something with it is not working properly. I have created the "Styr Landwehr" (correct me if the name is wrong please) regiment by my own means, but something went wrong. I CANNOT change the unitīs colours!. Yes, the rest is working perfectly, but when i try to change its colours (to the proper green of this landwehr unit) all remains white... nothing changes at all. Iīm a bit sad, and becoming crazy to find out what iīve done wrong... please do not laugh, but i had spent almost 4 hours modifying the whole humble mod in order to correct this, but despite all efforts, the unit remains in immaculate white clothes. I come to you good forumers to see if someone can help me with this drawback in my first mod
    Thank you all in advance, iīll be forever grateful.

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

Default Re: Need the aid of our good modders since the unitīs colours are no changing!

How did you try to change the colour?
    Did you edit the uniform_to_faction_colour table?

Decanus

Default Re: Need the aid of our good modders since the unitīs colours are no changing!

Iīm so sad i was almost forgetting to send you good souls my horrible mod
    Last edited by lordargento; April 10, 2012 at 05:03 AM.

Decanus

Icon7 Re: Need the aid of our good modders since the unitīs colours are no changing!

Yes good Steph, iīve already edited the colours table (uniform_to_faction_colour table)... but nothing changed at all (thatīs the crazy thing). Thereīs the mod itself, please feel free to take a look.
    Last edited by lordargento; April 10, 2012 at 05:12 AM.

Patrician Artifex

You have a colour_mask atlas, but no dds.
    did you actually edited the textures. Why did you include them?

Decanus

No Steph, iīve not edited them, but i deduced they would be necessary for my mod to work independantly from other files.
    And how can i add the .dds that is not present in my mod (the one that is not present is the "mask .dds)? Where may i find this file?
    Thank you in advance, to you good Sir and to Samurei, who also has "coloured" my unit
    Last edited by lordargento; April 10, 2012 at 07:05 AM.

Decanus

Icon10 Re: Need the aid of our good modders since the unitīs colours are not changing!

I have just find it!. iīm an idiot...
    I only copied the "colour_mask. atlas", but not the .dds counterpart!
    I want to die!!!!!
    And right now iīm studying for an accountancy test (yes here in Argentina and Latin America in general is very difficult to "live" with only one carrer) iīll have this night... my head is not working properly after hours and hours trying to find out what was the problem with my first (and now, thanks to you and Samurai, not last) little mod.
    Iīll go right now to study with my soul and brains lighter.
    Thank you Steph, you will earn a Rep (as well as the good Samurai)
    Thank you both. Iīm finally happy.
    Last edited by lordargento; April 10, 2012 at 07:44 AM.

Haha right on, study well with that clear head!

Patrician Artifex

Since the atlas are already included in the game, if you just reuse a uniform from the base game and don't change the textures, you don't have to include it.
    You need it only if you take the texture from a mod, or if you want to modify it.
    It will make your mod much smaller.
    Also, keep it mind that if you copy the texture, then the game engine will have double memory load if you have a normal Austrian unit and your landwehr in the same battle.

Avoid copying texture unless you really need to do it.

Decanus

Thanks Steph.
    Iīve got another question. Right now i remade my little mod, including the colour_mask.dds, but when i try to launch the game, it craches. Do you know why (itīs obviuos that is something related to the "colour_mask.dds")?
    Last edited by lordargento; April 10, 2012 at 09:51 AM.

Patrician Artifex

I suggest you try without the colour mask and no texture change at all.
    Keep it simple to start with.
    Just create the variant using the default austria texture, and start from here.

The more files you add, the more possibility you add for error.

Decanus

Thank you very much Steph. I finally could activate the mod (including all textures files, specially that "colour_mask.dds" that was not working the last time i added it. Now itīs working perfectly (perhaps it got corrupted when i extracted it from "variant_models_2" files) but iīll follow your counsel and, right now, not go on using those unnecessary files.
    The important challenge will be my next austrian unit: The City of Trieste Landwehr. For them iīll need to be a step foward in modding, since iīm planning to use the basic "austrian landshutzen" for every unit part, apart from the "hungarian trousers" all from the same faction, except for the hat, since the most exact helmet i found in game to match with this Trieste Landwehr belongs to other faction: the "danish Life Guards on Horse" helmet. But i must go on studying right now, i will leave this new unit for tomorrow.
    Thank you once again Steph, you are very attentive as always
    Last edited by lordargento; April 10, 2012 at 11:59 AM.

Patrician Artifex

If you want to do that, you will need the texture files. You will have to edit all of them to copy the hat from the Danish texture files, and copy it in the austrian files to replace another hat.

Decanus

Icon7 Re: Need the aid of our good modders since the unitīs colours are no changing!

Thanks Steph, iīve just opened a new thread where i ask for your guidance and for the community help to create a unit using two different factions textures.