Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Something that I would like to see: Command

Default Re: Something that I would like to see: Command

Quote Originally Posted by Wambat View Post
    Well, this brings us to the problem of rebellious cities:
    Are all Elven, Dwarven and Hobbit cities going to be populated by human units exclusively when they rebel? Where are all these humans supposed to come from? Or, are all Elven, Dwarven and Hobbit cities going to be immune to rebellion, and there associated units only recruitable in these few, select, immune cities; and would these cities then be immune to rebellion under new rulers?
    If the owner is mannish, and they revolt, the rebels will be mannish 'settlers' of those lands (Woodsmen or Hillmen, depending on the settlement). If the owner is non-mannish, then the settlement will revolt back to the original faction. The type of units spawned during the rebellion depends on the faction and whether or not the province's population has been converted to mannish.

Quote Originally Posted by athanaric View Post
    When did that happen?
    Helm's Deep. The book doesn't say so explicitly, but I think it's implied, where Gimli doesn't want to fight the Dunlendings claiming they are 'too large' - but he fights other Men just fine.

Hmmm... I don't remember reading it that way.

It's up to personal interpretation, I guess. Still, it's just an example. Even if it's invalid, my point remains: I don't think Dwarves would fight Dwarves in our context.

Thangaror's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Aradan View Post
    Helm's Deep. The book doesn't say so explicitly, but I think it's implied, where Gimli doesn't want to fight the Dunlendings claiming they are 'too large' - but he fights other Men just fine.
    It's just an assumption, but I agree.
    Gimli, son of Glóin, son of Gróin does not attack some men because they are 'too large'? Really, that must be a joke.

Of course if you read LotR you don't read it that way. You need the background information, that Gimli's people lived in Dunland for quite a while.
    I would rather have a memory that is fair but unfinished than one that goes on to a grievous end.

Hm, my interpretation would be that he just prefers killing orcs to killing Dunlendings - which makes sense since everybody hates the orcs (themselves included) and everybody knows they're evil, whereas the Dunlendings are normal people misled by Saruman. If you can choose between killing a definitely evil person and a possibly evil person (who might actually be more or less innocent), you will go for option A, wouldn't you? Of course, only assuming you had a choice at all. Moreover, Gimli's people have no quarrel with foreign Men, whereas with orcs, it's personal for him.

Gimli's people have no quarrel with any of the Men is Sauron's southern army either, and he does a fine job of killing some of these.

It's not like someone brought a Dunlending in front of him and asked him if he'd like to chop his head off. They were in battle, and the Dunlendings were a part of the force that was trying to kill Gimli, so he had a lot of reasons to kill them if he wanted; he was on the verge of attacking Eomer simply for being rude when they first met...

If the owner is mannish, and they revolt, the rebels will be mannish 'settlers' of those lands (Woodsmen or Hillmen, depending on the settlement). If the owner is non-mannish, then the settlement will revolt back to the original faction. The type of units spawned during the rebellion depends on the faction and whether or not the province's population has been converted to mannish.
    I appreciate you answering the explicit question, however, this does not answer the implied question: What happens to the validity of the no Elves/Dwarves/Hobbits vs Elves/Dwarves/Hobbits rule in a game world where these races will/may encounter rebellious cities populated by their own race? If it is ok for Elves to kill rebellious Elves, why not Shadow Cult Elves?

I think this discussion has deviated from the original subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Wambat View Post
    I appreciate you answering the explicit question, however, this does not answer the implied question: What happens to the validity of the no Elves/Dwarves/Hobbits vs Elves/Dwarves/Hobbits rule in a game world where these races will/may encounter rebellious cities populated by their own race? If it is ok for Elves to kill rebellious Elves, why not Shadow Cult Elves?
    I will try to answer you. I think that Aradan clearly stated in post you quoted that there will be no Elven/Dwarven/Hobbiten rebels. Non-human races will not have any unrest to their own faction (but will have other problems, one of them small population). If they revolt from another faction, rebels will be humans (, if non-human province was assimilated to human or original faction/people were destroyed,), or or they will “return” to their original faction they belonged. In TNS Dwarves (serving Rohan faction) could fight Dwarves, but this will happen no more.

I think this discussion has deviated from the original subject.
    Yes, completely...

What he ^ said. There are no non-mannish rebels.

And yes, a tiny bit...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12