Thread: Am I the only one who thinks naval battles are messed up?

Default Am I the only one who thinks naval battles are messed up?

I am using darthmod 3.7

In three hits my ships seem to blow up on the spot, while it takes around 10-20 hits to destroy CPU ships.

Costal defences also seem useless, since the enemy ships can shoot at mine at max range with 60 % accuracy and blow up my ships while still staying out of range of costal defences, meaning that I lose.

I once had a battle with 11 of my Wooden corvettes 16 gunners and a 23 gunner against the CPU's 14 16 Gunner wooden corvettes.

I lost all my corvettes without being able to kill a single one of theirs.
    Now they are bombarding my cities and blocking my ports and costing me 5000 koku worth of damages per turn and I cant do anything about it?

I was good at Empire naval battles and okay at Sengoku too, but do I just suck at FOTS that bad or is something wrong?
    Last edited by Hyzoran; April 07, 2012 at 02:55 PM.

crunchyfrog's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: Am I the only one who thinks naval battles are messed up?

They are probably using (advanced) armor piercing rounds... They make ships go boom.

If you can stay as close to the harbour as possible, to get the maximum out of your coastal guns.. But they aren't that good anyway.

It's a vanilla bug. Especially gunboats make things go boom. I've seen armoured corvettes blow up after taking a few roundshots while the gunboats take full broadsides of explosive shells from point blank range without flinching.

funny thing is, I've noticed the enemy seems to blow up alot more than me.. which I don't like, as I don't like having an advantage. Neither one of us are using explosive or piercing rounds.. sounds like the probabilities are screwed up for explosions, I thinkt hey should be fairly rare.

I guess for now I will do some messing around with the darthmod pack file, increase hull strengths and decrease projectile accuracies, and if I can find it, disable explosions for now.

Weird. I played a couple naval battles in 3.7 and I couldn't get any enemies to explode at all. Though, neither did any if my ships.

There is something wrong with autocalc: Fought a 16 gun ship which had no guns remaining and only 7 crewmen with a full stack including torpedos, 2 26 guns, a ranaoke and a kotetsu. I actually lost a torpedo boat and one of my 14 gun ships. My entire stack was healthy. How did 7 men manage to do that?
    I salute those who took the Hungarian Phrasebook simply because of the quote!

Arksa's Avatar Centenarius

Also two of my US Ironclads sunk from full health when I was fighting a damaged wooden frigate...autocalc.

Quote Originally Posted by Arksa View Post
    Also two of my US Ironclads sunk from full health when I was fighting a damaged wooden frigate...autocalc.
    I fought 8 units of spear levies with an army made up of a 5 star daimyo, 2 carbine cav, 2 gatlings, 2 armstrongs, and the rest guard infantry except for 2 shogunate inf because of the cap. autocalc gave me a massive advantage, but for some reason I still almost lost the three US marines in the army.
    Autocalc hates americans I bet. Or the strongest unit.
    I salute those who took the Hungarian Phrasebook simply because of the quote!