Thread: FOTS question

Default FOTS question

Hi. Long time forum lurker.

The recent release of FOTS and the theme of industrial vs feudal tech has intrigued me. So I have some questions. I only play single player, and I skipped Napoleon and Shogun 2 after being disappointed by Empire's bugs, so keep that in mind. I have searched several forums and not seen any clear answers to any of these.

1) Most importantly, does FOTS have all the land and naval units from vanilla Shogun 2, plus the newer units from FOTS itself? Does it include any DLC units? Or does it cut some units from vanilla out?

2) For the naval side of FOTS, does it range from the earlier japanese castle ships, through european wooden ships, to the ironclad steamships?

2) I read that FOTS will use the Blood DLC pack for most of the unit models except for foreign troops. How do the other Shogun 2 DLC interact with FOTS? I read that the custom factions are not selectable on the FOTS campaign, but are their units available in the campaign? Are the factions and their units available in custom battle?

3) If have Shogun 2, DLC, and FOTS, do they share their features to make one ultimate Shogun 2 game, or are their features compartmentalized between Shogun 2, ROTS, and FOTS campaigns, with just the patches giving some improved FOTS features to the original game?

Thank you for your time. Returning to lurk mode.

Semisalis

Default Re: FOTS question

FOTS, consider it a NEW game. No previous units other than a few core units but even then they are not as they were or seem. FOTS is separate entity altogether, there is no joint or link between them. Multiplayer does allow for mix avatars options with can allow ROTS/Shogun 2 Avatars to play against you.

emptw1's Avatar Civis

1) If you buy FoTS standalone without Shogun 2, you do not get any of Shogun 2's units, you only get the FoTS units, but in multiplayer, you can play against a Shogun 2 army, but you're still restricted to your FoTS armies(unless you brought Shogun 2 of course)
    2) There aren't any "castle" ships (like the Shogun 2 Bunes) but there is a progression from Wooden ships, to Copper ships, then Iron Ships, then Ironclads(if/when you trade with the western powers)
    3)If you have brought Shogun 2 and any of its DLC, you can play with them in single player and multiplayer, although you can't play as the Ikko-Iki or anything in a FoTS campaign.
    4)I don't get your last question entirely, but you can have a experience by buying all the DLC and starting a RoTS campaingn, finishing it, starting a Sengoku-Jidai campaign, and finishing it, and then doing a FoTS campaign.

Uhhhh...

FOTS is a completely new timeperiod. No units or clans from previous games show up. The clans have fallen and are overtaken (IE the tokugawa are now shogun but not on the map, the daimyo of the satsuma is a shimazu and the daimyo of the nagaoke is a uesugi) and the units are long obsolete (although you have various kachi, which are basically the same as samurai and kisho ninja)

Naturally, Rots units dont show up either, and Ikko ikki and hattori are not useable. So other Dlc than blood pack and preorder clans (better to buy a physical limited edition copy, they come with an extra clan) has no interaction with fots.
    I salute those who took the Hungarian Phrasebook simply because of the quote!

Thank you for the responses so far.

Rephrasing #4: is there any ability to access all of the units between Shogun 2, DLC, ROTS, and FOTS all at the same time, for the purpose of setting up custom battle skirmishes or for use in the campaign, single player.

If I understand emptw1 correctly, if you have Shogun 2 and original DLC, you have access to all of those factions and units in custom singleplayer skirmish with EOTS for land or naval battle, but there is no shared grand campaign that uses all the units and all of the factions from all the releases at the same time.

This is the attitude I am trying to express, and badly at that: I am all about options within singleplayer, I don't like artificial restrictions. If I want to use Shogun 2 Bunes vs EOTS ironclads, I don't want the game to block me from doing so. The unit data is there, if I pay for it I want to play with it however I want. Ditto Shogun 2 feudal armies vs EOTS rifle based armies. I want to mess around in custom skirmish games with silly combinations, and potentially see a mod with all of this content enabled through one long grand campaign, Sengoku Jidai to the Boshin War, ashigaru spearmen to gatling guns and ironclads. I am asking if all features are available all the time to use in any combination, specifically because I am not sure I would want to pay for all of the Shogun 2 releases all at once to find out I can't use them in any combination that I choose, simply because the game was design to wall off segments of content from each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Faceless View Post
    Thank you for the responses so far.

Rephrasing #4: is there any ability to access all of the units between Shogun 2, DLC, ROTS, and FOTS all at the same time, for the purpose of setting up custom battle skirmishes or for use in the campaign, single player.

If I understand emptw1 correctly, if you have Shogun 2 and original DLC, you have access to all of those factions and units in custom singleplayer skirmish with EOTS for land or naval battle, but there is no shared grand campaign that uses all the units and all of the factions from all the releases at the same time.

This is the attitude I am trying to express, and badly at that: I am all about options within singleplayer, I don't like artificial restrictions. If I want to use Shogun 2 Bunes vs EOTS ironclads, I don't want the game to block me from doing so. The unit data is there, if I pay for it I want to play with it however I want. Ditto Shogun 2 feudal armies vs EOTS rifle based armies. I want to mess around in custom skirmish games with silly combinations, and potentially see a mod with all of this content enabled through one long grand campaign, Sengoku Jidai to the Boshin War, ashigaru spearmen to gatling guns and ironclads. I am asking if all features are available all the time to use in any combination, specifically because I am not sure I would want to pay for all of the Shogun 2 releases all at once to find out I can't use them in any combination that I choose, simply because the game was design to wall off segments of content from each other.
    Well, you can use all units from all clans you have unlocked in custom battles. So you can set up rots units versus fots ones. However, importing units from Rots to S2 for use in the campaign is possible if I believe. All others are very shady. mods doing so are forbidden here, since FOTS does not require S2 so if you make a mod which allows you to use ashigaru in the fots campaign people without S2 might use it and use free stuff.

I suppose there is nothing wrong with making such a mod for yourself, but noone can help you with that. And the walling of content is perfectly normal: There is about 300 years between each war, so of course you can't use units in different campaigns. It's a shame mods aren't allowed to do it, but eh, there's additional units mods.
    I salute those who took the Hungarian Phrasebook simply because of the quote!

Thank you, that answers my questions. Thank you all for your time.

Moderators, feel free to lock or delete this forum thread as you see fit, thanks.

Could've ing fooled me. I bought Fall of the Samurai, and from the moment I put the disc in, it said TOTAL WAR SHOGUN 2. It installed TOTAL WAR SHOGUN 2. The game icon was the same as TOTAL WAR SHOGUN 2. I load the game, it loads TOTAL WAR SHOGUN 2. The intro video is from TOTAL WAR SHOGUN 2. The main menu is of TOTAL WAR SHOGUN 2. The ONLY time it ing reveals itself to be Fall of the Samurai is when selecting a new campaign.

Stand-alone my ass, I may not need the base game for it but it's completely stuck on the base game in its entire presentation. I was seriously considering filing a complaint to Sega that I bought Fall of the Samurai and it gave me the original game instead.

Quote Originally Posted by AndariusHaliusScipio View Post
    Could've ing fooled me. I bought Fall of the Samurai, and from the moment I put the disc in, it said TOTAL WAR SHOGUN 2. It installed TOTAL WAR SHOGUN 2. The game icon was the same as TOTAL WAR SHOGUN 2. I load the game, it loads TOTAL WAR SHOGUN 2. The intro video is from TOTAL WAR SHOGUN 2. The main menu is of TOTAL WAR SHOGUN 2. The ONLY time it ing reveals itself to be Fall of the Samurai is when selecting a new campaign.

Stand-alone my ass, I may not need the base game for it but it's completely stuck on the base game in its entire presentation. I was seriously considering filing a complaint to Sega that I bought Fall of the Samurai and it gave me the original game instead.
    It didnt give you the original game. You NEED files from Shogun 2, just like Shogun 2 players had to download NEEDED to download files from FotS. Its a standalone game, it just uses the same .exe as S2.

Quote Originally Posted by CptAustus View Post
    It didnt give you the original game. You NEED files from Shogun 2, just like Shogun 2 players had to download NEEDED to download files from FotS. Its a standalone game, it just uses the same .exe as S2.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Is not the same start-up screen I get when I bought

emptw1's Avatar Civis

Is not the same start-up screen I get when I bought

There is a empire.exe for ETW and a napoleon.exe for NTW, Shogun 2, RoTS and FoTS all use shogun2.exe

Well that's nice, but my primary problem is that throughotu the entire install and game loadup process, not once did it advertise itself as Fall of the Samurai

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

Because It's still primarily Shogun 2.

emptw1's Avatar Civis

its a trojan horse

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Well that's nice, but my primary problem is that throughotu the entire install and game loadup process, not once did it advertise itself as Fall of the Samurai
    But does that matter really matter? At least you are getting FOTS.

I`ll admit the way CA have done it is slightly strange. It`s a bit like selling someone a car, but it comes incased in a huge double decker bus, which you drive out of!

Why aren't the new FOTS ships available in "Custom Battles", only the early Shogun 2 ships can be selected - seems like an oversight.

Noif de Bodemloze's Avatar The Protector of Art
    Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by rmezatang View Post
    Why aren't the new FOTS ships available in "Custom Battles", only the early Shogun 2 ships can be selected - seems like an oversight.
    Have you purchased FOTS?
    Have you make sure, that you have selected FOTS faction? Shogun 2 clans dont have FOTS ships.
    Do you use Radious units, that unlock all units/fleets to custom battle?

I'm an idiot, didn't even think to change the daimyo to find the other unit sets, just assumed they were all the same