Thread: AI likes mortars, but do you like them as well? Quicklime shots gass your troops??

Icon5 AI likes mortars, but do you like them as well? Quicklime shots gass your troops??

Hey guys,

Although I changed the accuracy of the artillery units, I think the range of the mortar is pretty big and the quicklime shots are too massive? It is also strange that the mortars are so strong.

What are your experiences with mortars?

I am usually sending my cav. to get rid of them before the main skirmish commences.
    He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts...for support rather than illumination.

TheRomanRuler's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: AI likes mortars, but do you like them as well? Quicklime shots gass your troops??

I just hate mortars:
    Without them, i would play campaign/MP 70% more than i do know.
    Reason: Way too owerpowered, historically they were used mainly against buildings, becouse against troops 1 of 100 shots would hit...
    Last edited by TheRomanRuler; April 08, 2012 at 09:56 AM.
    Apologies for anyone who's message i may miss or not be able to answer

Tired of TWC Arrogance

Default Re: AI likes mortars, but do you like them as well? Quicklime shots gass your troops??

Yep, mortars should just be done away with. They have no place on the Napoleonic battlefield. Unfortunately, they seem to be even more pronounced in LME3. A bally nuisance, what?

WarnerVH's Avatar Miles

I think the counter balance to the mortars in LME is that they move EXTREMELY SLOW. So.. if you choose to take them in your campaign army expect to watch slugs, snails and the occasional uphill rolling rock move faster than your army stack with mortars in them.

While the AI does seem to like them, and while the Napoleonic battlefield did not see too many of them in play I feel that they make up what is lacking in some of the BAI as it forces you to attack the AI if they are seen on the battlefield. Look at it like this, they don't move and their power make you think twice about attacking an enemy AI that has them in the stack.

In my opinion, the fact that they are SO SLOW on the campaign map, and their immobility on the battlefield sort of counter balance their extreme power.

Cheers!

TheRomanRuler's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by WarnerVH View Post
    I think the counter balance to the mortars in LME is that they move EXTREMELY SLOW. So.. if you choose to take them in your campaign army expect to watch slugs, snails and the occasional uphill rolling rock move faster than your army stack with mortars in them.
    Well rolling rocks may move very cuickly
    Apologies for anyone who's message i may miss or not be able to answer

As far as I know heavy mortars (say, 8 inch and above shell mortars, stone mortars etc.) were basically issued only to siege trains and fortifications and used for the attack and defense of fortified places.Since no proper period sieges and fortress can be had there is no point in having heavy mortars, 16-24 pdr siege guns and such. Lighter mortars, coehorns and such, could theoretically keep up with the field train and could be used in open battles (Culloden comes to mind) , though how often that happened, especially after howitzers became popular, I would not know. I think the best thing to do is eliminating the heavies and restricting the avability of the light mortars.

Due to the persistent vanilla mortar bug, all mortars are disabled in upcoming LME 3.1! (regional units are disabled as well)