Thread: Edit and save directly with PFM. Help required...

Default Edit and save directly with PFM. Help required...

Time ago I modded NTW with PFM without "export & repack"ing the patch4.pack file, playing the spain, portugal, denmark and ottoman mod. ( link out of work by now )..., I made my changes and save file directly, and the changes WERE SHOWN IN GAME AT ONCE !!!, but it seems that everybody exports and repacks to mod...
    After playing some games, I uninstalled the game because I had neither time to mod nor to play.
    Last week, I tried to do the same modificatios ( time to recruit, changes in accuracy, range, reload speed, one-turn buildings, french units lining up with spain, spain_spa units added with vanilla ones, and a large etc...) in the same way, but changes DID NOT APPEAR IN GAME...
    Is that due to the PFM version (now using PFM 1.5.9) or the patch4.pack that is not saving the changes for any reason?. I tried to download the same mod, but I had to download another similar one because the link is out of order (megaupload), but they have the same structure. (No conflicts).
    Can anyone please provide any explanation to that? I now itīs not commod to work with PFM this way, but time ago it worked... I swear... May be an antique version of it made it possible, the WRONG is that I canīt remmember witch one I worked with.
    Thaks in advance and sorry for my bad english...

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

Default Re: Edit and save directly with PFM. Help required...

Changing directly data.pack or one of the patch should work, but it's not recommended at all since if you want to undo your change, it's difficult.
    That's why everyone extract and repack. This way, if you want to remove a mod, just delete the pack

Thanks for answering
    I did that way because I keep an original copy of the files I mod, and it is faster to check the results...
    Anyway... any idea about whatīs the problem with PFM? may be last time I used an antique one? do the new version allow to edit and save directly?

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

It should.

Ok. Iīll try more versions...

OK. Thatīs all right.
    I realized that I unpacked & repacked patch4.pack complete, thatīs why I edited it directly
    I didnīt remmember that SMALL detail...
    OOOOPS!!!