Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fallout universe vs Elder Scrolls universe

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Vítor Gaspar's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Fallout universe vs Elder Scrolls universe

Hey.

I know these are two things that shouldn't be comparable but, in the end, I think they can.

What do you prefer? I really like both of them but in the end I seem to prefer Fallout, I don't know why... perhaps it's the fact that, in the end, I can relate more to that world (because it's sort of "contemporary") than the Elder Scrolls.

And guns and that.

How about you?

Default Re: Fallout universe vs Elder Scrolls universe

Morrowind was my first RPG and still my favorite, but at some point a few years ago I found I was no longer able to immerse myself in fantasy universes in either reading or gaming, so I've preferred the Fallout universe ever since. Although a stretch, it is still based on earth and is simply more plausible than a complete fantasy world of elves and magic.

I still enjoyed the hell out of Skyrim though and plan to have another play through one of these days if I can ever set aside 2-3 hours to compile a good modded install. In short, Bethesda rocks.

Semi-related but I think this may be why I had issues getting into Shogun 2. Japan is almost like a fantasy realm compared to the settings of the other TW games due to its isolation, culture, fighting style, etc.
    Ever to conquer, never to yield...

Well I always found that Fallout is essentially a study of humanity in a post-apocalyptic world, so I like that better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Nicholas View Post
    May I suggest ya'll get back on topic. Talk about Napoleon's ethnicity in another thread, this thread is about a leashed penis...
    Quote Originally Posted by Someone
    Life is routine, punctuated by excitement.

i like both but i prefer fallout lore because we can feel familiar because it could have happened (cold war) or maybe can happen on the future. well not with mutants but a nuclear fallout can happen.
    Common sense removed due being Disruptive.

alexanderswift's Avatar Senator

I've always liked Fallout better, I've enjoyed the Fallout games I've played more and found that the series raises interesting points on top of being ridiculously fun. Elder scrolls does to an extent, but the whole good vs evil cliche is a bit of a buzz kill (though that goes for FO3 as well.).

New Vegas is easily my favourite Beth title to date.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sphere View Post
    Don't try and kill my internet joy.

It is all I have.

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Content Emeritus

It really boils down to Fallout vs Sheogorath for me. I love both so much

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

Fallout no question.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Border Patrol's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I think we can all agree that Dishonored has the best gameplay.
    Proud Nerdimus Maximus of the Trench Coat Mafia.

Fallout. I find Skyrims universe not a very good fantasy realm... Something along the lines of the Forgotten Realms, or the Fighting Fantasy gamebook world I would kill for and the lore is far more interesting.
    'Wyrd bi∂ ful arćd ☸ '

Fallout. I like how it's all desolate and you have to scavenge a lot.

Pĺsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

TES no doubt. I find swords and archery to be more immersive than guns anyway.

As interesting as Fallout lore looks I'm going with TES, I just love fantasy. It's a bit generic but still a really good lore.
    EA Releases its version of Cyberpunk 2077 trailer
    ˙ǝsɐǝןd „ƃuıןןoɹʇ„ ǝuıɟǝp

Indefinitely Banned

I actually enjoy Elder Scrolls lore...

Captain Arrrgh!'s Avatar I'z in yer grass

Since they're running on the same engine I think comparing them is hard to avoid. The engine does well at allowing us to play either sci fi or fantasy and it's a hard call. I find myself prefering the gameplay of whichever world I'm in at that moment .
    Oblvion and Skyrim seem so beautifully mystical and enchanting, while FO3 and NV seem so appropriately violent, depressing and post apocalyptic.
    I guess I'd have to say I play more Fallout than Elder Scrolls, but that's because I'm a PA junkie, and have every post apocalyptic game out there, from Wasteland and KKND up to STALKER.

The music goes a long way for increasing the greatness of the titles as well. Bethseda has always produced such beautiful and appropriate scores for these two titles.

GoodSmurfin's Avatar Semisalis

I prefer TES over Fallout, because its environments, and lore are enticing to me. Although Fallout does have very detailed environments, and vast storylines, I feel it's a little too dark for me. And I agree on the music, for me it makes the worlds come to life.

Captain Arrrgh!'s Avatar I'z in yer grass

I remember playing (well, still play emulated) the original Elder Scrolls from the early nineties. The lore and plot were all over the map an seemed heavily influenced by the games of Lord British, but man, the character selection, immersive graphics and races were ground breaking for the time. It's really cool to see how the lore has broadened and matured over the games and years. Good to see Bethseda hasn't shirked from race and ethnicity politics; this really drives the game's dynamism.

Though I play FO more is it just me, or has the FO world lost its many dimensions since being revived by Bethseda? FO1, 2 and Tactics, seemed to have a bit more to them, lore-wise. Life seemed a lot uglier, and politics and motivations more sinister. Also things seemd more mysterious. I still remember how enrapt I was dialoguing with the master computer in FO1 the first time, listening to it explain the events that lead up to the FEV and war with China. Oh, gives me shivers even now.

Protector Domesticus

I pick Fallout, its alot easier to get your head around then the Elder scrolls.

Fallout has a very good atmosphere, I'd say TES has the better storyline, even if it's a bit hard to comprehend at times.
    Quote Originally Posted by A.J.P. Taylor
    Peaceful agreement and government by consent are possible only on the basis of ideas common to all parties; and these ideas must spring from habit and from history. Once reason is introduced, every man, every class, every nation becomes a law unto itself; and the only right which reason understands is the right of the stronger. Reason formulates universal principles and is therefore intolerant: there can be only one rational society, one rational nation, ultimately one rational man. Decisions between rival reasons can be made only by force.

Quote Originally Posted by H.L Spieghel
    Is het niet hogelijk te verwonderen, en een recht beklaaglijke zaak, Heren, dat alhoewel onze algemene Dietse taal een onvermengde, sierlijke en verstandelijke spraak is, die zich ook zo wijd als enige talen des werelds verspreidt, en die in haar bevang veel rijken, vorstendommen en landen bevat, welke dagelijks zeer veel kloeke en hooggeleerde verstanden uitleveren, dat ze nochtans zo zwakkelijk opgeholpen en zo weinig met geleerdheid verrijkt en versiert wordt, tot een jammerlijk hinder en nadeel des volks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Miel Cools
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen,
    Oud ben maar nog niet verrot.
    Zoals oude bomen zingen,
    Voor Jan Lul of voor hun god.
    Ook een oude boom wil reizen,
    Bij een bries of bij een storm.
    Zelfs al zit zijn kruin vol luizen,
    Zelfs al zit zijn voet vol worm.
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen.

Cň am Fear am measg ant-sluaigh,
    A mhaireas buan gu brŕth?
    Chan eil sinn uileadh ach air chuart,
    Mar dhěthein buaile fŕs,
    Bheir siantannan na bliadhna sěos,
    'S nach tog a' ghrian an ŕird.

Quote Originally Posted by Jörg Friedrich
    When do I stop being a justified warrior? When I've killed a million bad civilians? When I've killed three million bad civilians? According to a warsimulation by the Pentagon in 1953 the entire area of Russia would've been reduced to ruins with 60 million casualties. All bad Russians. 60 million bad guys. By how many million ''bad'' casualties do I stop being a knight of justice? Isn't that the question those knights must ask themselves? If there's no-one left, and I remain as the only just one,

Then I'm God.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis Napoleon III, Des Idees Napoleoniennes
    Governments have been established to aid society to overcome the obstacles which impede its march. Their forms have been varied according to the problems they have been called to cure, and according to character of the people they have ruled over. Their task never has been, and never will be easy, because the two contrary elements, of which our existence and the nature of society is composed, demand the employment of different means. In view of our divine essence, we need only liberty and work; in view of our mortal nature, we need for our direction a guide and a support. A government is not then, as a distinguished economist has said, a necessary ulcer; it is rather the beneficent motive power of all social organisation.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang Held
    I walked into those baracks [of Buchenwald concentrationcamp], in which there were people on the three-layered bunkbeds. But only their eyes were alive. Emaciated, skinny figures, nothing more but skin and bones. One thinks that they are dead, because they did not move. Only the eyes. I started to cry. And then one of the prisoners came, stood by me for a while, put a hand on my shoulder and said to me, something that I will never forget: ''Tränen sind denn nicht genug, mein Junge,
    Tränen sind denn nicht genug.''

Jajem ssoref is m'n korew
    E goochem mit e wenk, e nar mit e shtomp
    Wer niks is, hot kawsones

Shneckie's Avatar Vicarius

TES definitely. I'm just not into the whole post-apocalyptic setting.

Its a tie for me. I loved FO3 and hated NV. Well, hate is a strong word. It just didn't capture me right away like FO3 did. I played about halfway through, got bored, and traded it in a few months ago.

On the other hand, I love Skyrim, but I didn't like Oblivion at all. *shields himself from flames* Maybe I didn't give it a fair shake. My friend kept pressing me to try it out during a time I was obsessed with Mass Effect. I played it for about 10 hours and haven't touched it since.

The one thing that might give the edge to Skyrim is future DLC. FO3 DLC wasn't that great. Point Lookout was the only enjoyable one. I hope Skyrim has fewer but larger DLC packs. I want something I can spend another 30-40 hours on, and I don't mind spending $20 for it either. I want real content. Not something I can breeze through before I'm finished drinking a six pack.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast