Thread: [SV 3.3] Hail the King- A Saxon AAR [Updated May 7]

Vandal Warlord's Avatar Tiro

Default [SV 3.3] Hail the King- A Saxon AAR [Updated May 7]

After the unfortunate failure of my previous AAR due to techinical difficulties in-game, I return with a new one. This game has been played through and there should be no issues in that sector. It will be a different format than my usual multi-person point of view kind of story, it will be something more of an autobiography. Expect the first update this weekend.

Mod: Chivalry II- The Sicilian Vespers 3.3
    Faction: The Saxons (Dark Age Era)
    Difficulty: Hard/Very Hard
    Background:

The Kingdom of Wessex is at its peak under Alfred the Great. He has been able to defeat his Viking foes on nearly every occasion, and has just recently captured Mercia from them. Across the Channel and deep in the heart of Champagne, a young Comte has just struck a deal with an emissary for that Saxon king. Bring his military expertise, and receive Alfred's eldest daughter and some place called 'Cornwall'. Leaving his home and country for a land he has never seen was a hard choice, but how could the young lad refuse such a beautiful lady? Robert d'Anjou, Comte de Champagne and now Duke of Cornwall is about to embark on a journey which will bring him fame, fortune, and power. All he must do is teach the Saxons a few Frankish tactics. But in fact, it shall be the Saxons who teach Robert far more.

Chapter Index:
    -Prologue-
    -Chapter One-
    Last edited by Vandal Warlord; May 07, 2012 at 05:38 PM.
    My Current AAR: Have Faith, My Son
    "If you are lucky enough to be Irish, then you are lucky enough"
    -Irish Proverb

Default Re: [SV 3.3] Hail the King- A Saxon AAR

-Prologue-

Champagne was my home for twenty-three years, and how I loved it. The never-ending expanse of green is forever ingrained into my memory as synonymous with the happiness of childhood. In my youth I rode horses across the county for days upon days. It was where my father had ruled with a kind, yet stern heart. He had always told me a ruler should stand with a closed fist, and an open hand. He made Champagne a noble land, and a wealthy one at that. It was a sad day when he passed on into the embrace of God. I have and always shall remember those days with a warm heart.

Monsieur Biddel arrived in Reims in early spring, it was only him at the time. We received him on his first day, with a small feast as we did with every dignitary. He could not speak franceis* so we had to converse with him in a neutral tongue, Latin. His accent was atrocious, very rough and harsh. After an hour we could stand it no longer so we sent for our resident translator. Thank God he could speak Saxon, for I believed we would have killed the man if we had to hear him butcher the language of Caesar any further.

My first experience with Saxon was hearing the two men speak. It was coarse and rugged like German, but I found (and still think) German far more pleasing to the ears. Biddel was a good man as far as we could tell and he told of me a proposition he had hoped to make. Alas, though, he was bound not to speak further of it until his noble lady had arrived. So we bid him adieu and offered him quarters in the palace. He thankfully refused, though he did find other lodging in Reims. Word quickly reached us that Biddel spent the next week whoring non-stop. They loved nothing more than a red-blooded Saxon with deep pockets. His spree was actually so significant, that it was something of an economic boom for the prostitution industry in the area. Apparently no one told him we were more famous for our wine.

Not long after Biddel's whoring binge did his noble lady arrive. She came with a much large entourage, as she was the eldest daughter of the Saxon king Alfred whom they called 'the Great'. We did not meet with her until the following evening when she and Monsieur Biddel joined us for another small feast. At the time I was twenty-three and Comte de Champagne. I was unmarried and still a virgin. My father would not allow my brothers or I to chase after any sort of low-class woman. For all my father's good the one thing he did not do well with was women. He was awkward around them, including my mother even after thirty years of holy matrimony. But, we obeyed his rules.

My first sight of Ethelfelda was something I shall never forget. She strode into the main hall in arm with Biddel wearing a gown of gold ad grey, the colours of her country. Ethelfelda was indescribably beautiful, with long blonde hair and deep blue eyes that melted the soul with awe. She was a thin lady with narrow hips and long legs and small breasts, something I liked in a woman but my father would of disapproved of. 'Narrow hips' he would have said 'she'll die with your first son'. But at that moment I didn't give a damn about what my father said. It was love at first sight for me. Then came her voice, like a chorus of angels in my head. She even spoke our language with only minor discrepancies. It was icing on the cake.

That first supper was fantastic, I was somehow able to entertain her for the entire evening along with my family and even Monsieur Biddel. I would never be so charming again. Then came the proposition. 'We propose that Comte Robert marry Princess Ethelfelda, becoming Duke of Cornwall.' He kept looking from me to Ethelfelda who was mouthing some of the words to him. He spoke in our language, but seemed to not really understand what he was saying. 'In return, you shall impart Frankish military tactics upon us.' He finished with a smile, very pleased with himself.

I did not even think about leaving my home and family before saying yes. That brought a smile to everyone's face. The rest of the supper was fine, or at least I think it was. The Saxons insisted on us marrying the next day, so we did in the cathedral. I honestly don't remember much of it. I drank tremendously that evening and had the worst of headaches. I couldn't have told you if I even kissed her or not. I was told later that it was beautiful. That evening, when I should have consummated the marriage, I instead passed out after more drinking. Oh well.

We left Reims the next morning. I named my brother Jean constable, to rule in my stead and then we were off. It was the last time I would see Reims or my family. Not long after I left, Jean was murdered by my other brother Stephan who proclaimed himself the new Comte de Champagne. Even so, I have considered myself Comte de Champagne and my children rightful heirs to it to this very day. Regardless, we travel north and then west towards Calais. It took us three days at a quick pace. I put of my husbandly duties still with more drinking and more passing out. It still didn't concern me, my drinking or my being a married virgin. Calais was a nice town, attractive harbor and blues seas ahead. There we found refuge in the home of a wealthy Saxon merchant who was leaving for Dover on the morrow. Not only was he going to give us a place to stay, but he would take us across the Channel as well. I'm beginning to like being a Saxon prince already.

That night I did not drink (much) and still had my wits about me. I decided tonight would be the night. So once my lady had already gone up, I joined her. She was in her evening clothes by the time I arrived. She bid me good night and walked over to the bed when I reached out and held her hand. She turned and we shared a kiss. Afterwards she gave a smile and bid me good night again. I was confused, was she not getting the hint. So this time I pulled her into an embrace and we shared a much longer kiss. But again, she smile and bid me good night. Finally, I spoke up.

'I would like to do my duty this evening.' I said. I knew it was awkward even as it left my mouth. Ethelfelda reached the bed and went under the covers, seemingly not hearing me. So I sat next to her on the bed, turned her towards me and kissed her much more. I started to get on top of her when she turned away and said, 'I can't do it!'. I rolled off and sat up, she did the same.

'I am sorry," she said with a tear in her eye. 'I should have told you . . . I do not like men.' I was confused and it must of shown on my face for she then clarified. 'I prefer women.' Damn it. That's not good. 'Oh please,' she begged 'please forgive me! I know it is unnat-' I stopped her, holding up my hand.

'It is alright.' I said. 'My mother felt the same way. I shall not make you do anything you do not want.' It was true, my mother told me on her death bed. She said that she respected my father, but dreaded the night for he would rape her. I loved my mother, and I saw even as a little boy how distraught she was in the morning. On more than one occasion, I would see her weep because of it. I decided there that I would not cause the same pain.

Thus began my marriage to Ethelfelda. We would sleep in the same bed to keep up appearances, but that was it. Our marriage developed into a strong friendship more than anything. We loved each other, that was for sure. But not in a sexual manner.That first night I did not sleep, not because I concerned with my wife's sexuality, but because I realized I would not have children. That upset me, though I did not tell her.

We left for Dover in the morning and after a short bit we were across the channel to the harbour. I landed on Saxon soil for the first time in the late afternoon. It was a surreal feeling. I think deep down, somewhere inside me, I knew that I would never leave this place ever again. At the time, I just couldn't tell if that was a good thing or a bad one.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    *= No I am not butchering French, this is a name for Old French
    Last edited by Vandal Warlord; April 21, 2012 at 11:48 AM.
    -Irish Proverb

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Default Re: [SV 3.3] Hail the King- A Saxon AAR [Updated April 20]

I'm not sure if it was supposed to be, but I found that quite funny (Is it meant to be?)

It's of to a good start, and I'm glad you decided to start another AAR Hopefully it will last longer than the previous one

Unfortunate for him that his wife is a lesbian

Looking forward to the next update +rep

THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

Interesting start. What is it with AAR's and issues in the sack lately?
    The Wings of Destiny - A FotS AAR (Chapter 12 - Updated Apr 24)
    Takeda - a Shogun 2 AAR (Completed) Reviewed by Radzeer

My writing | My art | About me | Sekigahara Campaign - Developer

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

Quote Originally Posted by Shankbot12 View Post
    I'm not sure if it was supposed to be, but I found that quite funny (Is it meant to be?)
    Quote Originally Posted by robinzx View Post
    Interesting start. What is it with AAR's and issues in the sack lately?
    Defiantly supposed to have humor! I find biographies without it hard to get through. Yeah, I'm not to sure about that, genetics maybe? Thanks for the responses! I'll get another update up in a while.
    -Irish Proverb

I am one who appreciates good humour, so this is a strong start which has already made me anticipate the next.
    Do take care in the quantities you add, though, as it is too easy to have too much comical elements and then ruin the whole setting.

Quote Originally Posted by Mill Wilkinson View Post
    I am one who appreciates good humour, so this is a strong start which has already made me anticipate the next.
    Do take care in the quantities you add, though, as it is too easy to have too much comical elements and then ruin the whole setting.
    I'll keep that in mind, and thanks for the input!

Next update will be up this weekend!
    -Irish Proverb

A good start! I think I prefer this to the Georgian one if you can keep it up, Vandal.

Shame to know he will be heirless though, interesting plot point
    ~

RESTORING ROME - CHAPTER II: TRAGEDY OF THE KOMNENOI
    bitte sehr
    SCHRÖDINGER'S CAT - A VERY SPECIAL FELINE

Been a while seen last update, I was a tad busy. This update won't be long and much more meant for setup than anything else. Hopefully the next few updates will be far more important to the story line (and more frequent). Also, i'll see if I can get a character index started as well.

-Chapter One-
    To Lead an Army

Upon arriving in Dover we quickly got word that a great battle had occurred. Nottingham and the whole of Mercia had fallen to King Alfred and his Saxons. My new bride jumped in glee and it seemed that everyone in Dover had a certain swagger in their step. It must have been contagious, because I too found myself in a good mood, considering I left my home forever and might never have children. We did not spend long in Dover, maybe a day or two, just enough for us to meet Ethelfelda's young sister who was soon to leave for Flanders and her brother visiting from Dorchester.

Elfrida was to leave a lasting impression upon me, even though I would not see her again for another twenty-or-so years. She was ugly to begin with, worse compared to fair Ethelfelda, and very obnoxious. She was only fourteen at the time but seemed to believe she was my elder, ordering me about and talking to me as though I was a child. At least, that was what it sounded like (I was still yet to understand Saxon). Her tone with Ethelfelda was nearly the same which shocked me. Even more surprising, my wife did not mind it. I was quite ready to smack her across the room after five minutes, let alone a decade.

Æthelwærd was of a different sort. He was stout, handsome, and very funny with a deep booming laugh. He was a man's man, more at home with others than by himself. But where his sisters were thin and blonde, Æthelwærd was thick and brun. I would come to know the man well, though not through any physical activity. The Saxon prince was beyond lazy, whining about preforming the slightest of movements. He could speak the basics of franceis, mainly sexual terms and actions, enough to keep me laughing.

After we supped together and Elfrida left, my new brother-in-law pulled me aside and in the most interesting of words, told me of my orders. King Alfred, knowing his son useless and unwilling to lead an army, had given me the task of leading a host to push further into Danish territory. While he had been campaigning to take Mercia, the Danes had pulled enough forces from the west that he felt it was the perfect time to strike. Better yet, I would be in command with Æthelwærd as my second-in-command. I had been told I would be training soldiers, not leading them into battle. Thus I was visibly shocked. Only once had I ever been forced to call up my levies during a brief East Frank invasion scare. Never had I actually believed I would invade another nation. It was frightening to think about. Yet through the shock I managed to accept and we bid each other goodnight. The drinking got worse after that.

The following morning I said goodbye to Ethelfelda that morning, for she was to go on without me to Penzance in Cornwall without me. Not long after Æthelwærd and I began our trek to Dorchester where our host would be waiting. There was little talking, though not solely because of the language barrier. Neither of us were remotely prepared to lead an army on a march, let alone into battle. Æthelwærd didn't even ride a horse, like a lady of the court he traveled by litter. I guess that was what made me more qualified to lead an army of over one thousand, the fact that I could ride a horse. A sad state of affairs this country must be in. It took us two days to travel to Dorchester at a pace I could have only described as a crawl. Æthelwærd seemed to have enjoyed it though, he alone ate two boars while lounging about.

I did not see much of Dorchester, a quick glance from a far at most. Though I saw plenty of the tent city that had popped up around it. The host had been at camp for two months now and had become a community on it's own. There was a smithy, stables, and dozens of small-scale brothels with more roving prostitutes than men in the army. Where there were once green fields, there was now a black mixture of mud, rubbish, and feces. It was murder for the nose, though I seemed to be the only one that minded. But worst of all in the host, was the lack of respect and order. Each soldier was loyal only to his local lord who payed him and fed him. Not one man there was truly loyal to his king and they were barely loyal to liege-lords. They were not one army, but many small armies. When we entered the tent city, not one man bowed his head in respect, some even spit at us. To them we were another group of soldiers. That was going to be the first thing I changed.

When we reached our tent in the center of the city, we found seventy waiting outside. I was told by Æthelwærd they were the local lords, looking for their individual orders. When I then asked him about officers, he was perplexed. Even when I said the word in Saxon, he was still confused. God help us. Getting off my horse, I yelled out in franceis if anyone could speak my tongue. One man came from the crowd, introducing himself as Withelfærd. I then asked him to be my translator to the crowd of lords.

To get their attention, I killed one of them. I was terrified to lead an army, but I was no wimp. In Champagne I served as a heartless judge, preforming dozens of executions. Crime had never been lower in my realm. I had no issue with taking another man's life, especially when they are my inferiors. Their job is to serve me, nothing else. After killing one with a quick beheading, all of the lords drew their weapons and turned their attention to me. Pleased with myself I then proceeded to speak through my translator.

"I am your liege." I began, "My name is Robert d'Anjou, Comte de Champagne and Duke of Cornwall. I have been named by King Alfred as commander of this host. From this moment on, you all own allegiance to myself and Prince Æthelwærd. This is now one army, I want all individual banners taken down and replaced with royal ones." I then selected the five most menacing of the group. "You five are now my sergeants. They are your immediate superiors and they answer only to me. You five will divide the army equally among yourselves. You will report to me at dawn tomorrow and if it is not done I will execute all of you and chose five more in your place. Dismissed until further orders".

Shock. Pure, silent shock. It took them a few minutes for it to register in their minds before they disbanded with the five newly-appointed sergeants immediately getting down to business. I breathed a sigh of relief. Honestly, I was expecting one of them to kill me before I finished my spiel. So just as the group disbanded, I caught Withelfærd by the shoulder and asked him where I could find any wine. No wine, he responded, lots of ale. Well, I guess that will have to do.

-Irish Proverb

Default Re: [SV 3.3] Hail the King- A Saxon AAR [Updated May 7]

Veni, vidi, execute.
    An excellent beefing-up post for the upcoming events, though I would've liked a bit deeper introductory speech between Anjou and the saxon louts calling themselves an army.
    I am guessing that the unifying of the army shall be a long and painful process with comical elements?

Good to see someone who likes to kill his problems... I wholeheartedly approve of this development
    ~

RESTORING ROME - CHAPTER II: TRAGEDY OF THE KOMNENOI
    bitte sehr
    SCHRÖDINGER'S CAT - A VERY SPECIAL FELINE

The execution was rather -some I must say. Excellent work
    The Wings of Destiny - A FotS AAR (Chapter 12 - Updated Apr 24)
    Takeda - a Shogun 2 AAR (Completed) Reviewed by Radzeer

My writing | My art | About me | Sekigahara Campaign - Developer

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Brutal... hilariously so.

Great update mate. I guess needs must.

I wonder if he'll managed to 'win' them all over...
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE