Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [M2TW Kingdoms AAR] Waging Holy War

Dismounted Ritterbrüder's Avatar Tiro

Default [M2TW Kingdoms AAR] Waging Holy War

My first AAR, M2TW Kingdoms with no mods.
    Difficulty: M/M
    Faction: Teutonic Order
    Hope you all enjoy!

Chapter I: Redemption through Conquest
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    It is the year 1250, and the holy Teutonic Order has carved a swathe across the land in righteous fury, fueled by the need to redeem their souls. The method? Kill Pagans. Lots of them.

The Order, as it stands, is in a very strong position and poised to strike at the surrounded Lithuania, as well as link the two sides of their Order together. The first order of Hochmeister Gunther the Chivalrous is the construction of infrastructure and many military buildings within the Order, to strengthen it further.

Their military is also expanded as well, and troops begin to march into Lithuania…

During winter we recruit a new General to bring glory to the Order, we are given a mission to quash a rebel town and the Hochmeister is pleased to receive the report that the Order is the strongest, and most advanced, force in eastern Europe.

We now have spare dirt from digging and don’t know what to do with it…

Polish vanguards on our borders does not concern us too much, but causes us to be ever alert of what treacherous intentions they might have.

The majority of the Riga garrison is taken to the Lithuanian town of Siauliai and lays siege while our main army is just outside Palanga. If all goes well, we hope to take those two cities then sweep Lithuania off the map in one motion.

A short and quick introduction. Join the holy knights next time as they continue to spread Christianity throughout the land in peaceful, non-violent ways…
    Last edited by Dismounted Ritterbrüder; March 16, 2013 at 11:28 PM.

King William the Conqueror's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: [M2TW Kingdoms AAR] Waging Holy War

Very good
    I love the use of pictures
    I hold the blitz record for Medieval II (106 region in 7 turns) set in January 2024.

Check out my Youtube Channel: CosmicConqueror
    Proud Member of TWC since 2011!

Welcome back. When you last joined us, the bloodthirsty Order immediately invaded Lithuania, having laid siege to two cities, and construction projects began within the Order.
    Chapter II: Victories & Defeats

Lithuanian troops come to relieve the siege at Siauliai.

Assuming Direct Control. The Burgher Pikemen set up a spear wall with the infantry behind them, and the cavalry at the back.

Reinforcements are coming to surround us, but Maximillian knows his men are disciplined, and they will fight with the religious fervor that is required of them.

I couldn’t let my men get barraged by arrows, so the cavalry goes out to meet them as well as the rest of the main ‘army.’

They are easily slaughtered with a good few cavalry charges.

However, this may be a problem. Axemen especially.

The cavalry and Clergymen are sent to deal with this problem:

The rest of my forces are sent to deal with the axemen.
    Battle is met, with the cavalry doing fairly well, while the other section of my troops seem to be struggling. Damn horse archers, and my Burghers can’t keep up with them. I hope for the cavalry to be able to relieve some pressure when they’re done.

My cavalry are victorious, so I send that portion of the army to link up with the other.

Things do not go as according to plan. Most of my force routs. Cowards!

Maximillian is slain in battle, pierced by a foul pagan blade after killing many with him. A worthy death if there ever was one.

The men I have left know victory is nigh impossible, but they hope to kill this Pagan dog and avenge Maximillian.

Regretfully, they are unable to. The coward rides off, taking much pride in nothing but a small victory. We will return. And we will win. In hindsight, splitting up the troops probably was not the wisest idea, but we will learn from our mistakes.

Poland offers us alliance, trade rights and map information. We counter offer with all of their original offers, minus alliance, and they must pay us tribute of 1000 florins. They accept.

Grim tidings. Our prisoners are executed. Although we can safely say we would have done the same to Lithuania, they shall still be mourned nonetheless. A bit of bright news, however, as we adopt Kurt von Bavaria. He is loyal enough, and he will learn the ways of leadership and chivalry in time.

We are able to lay siege to Palanga, where we hope we will have better luck.

Another adoption is done, and Novgorod and Lithuania enter an alliance. We should be wary of what they plan.
    The assault on Palanga begins!

Our siege equipment marches and the ram makes it to the gates, and the two ladders to the walls.

Success. The men are ordered to charge in.

A hole is punched in their line, and the men pour into the streets.

Our men push to the city square through brute force and now own the entrance to the city.

The forces remaining in the square are a mélange of horse archers and peasants, who are easily crushed. A clear victory, but a great victory on the whole, due to the castles strategic position.

The priests and Clergymen go around the castle, rounding up all Pagans, and executing them in the city square. 1168 pagans were executed, and 427 florins were taken from their possessions and added to the treasury.

The Teutonic Order will not stop there. They will not stop at Lithuania. They will not stop until all of Eastern Europe is under their righteous rule.

That concludes the second chapter of the chronicles of the Teutonic Order. Hope you enjoy!
    Last edited by Dismounted Ritterbrüder; March 16, 2013 at 11:34 PM.

Good too see a vanilla AAR!

I'll be folowing this closely. +Rep

Huzzah! A Teuton AAR +rep

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Gandalf View Post
    Huzzah! A Teuton AAR +rep

Yeah, the Teutonic Order is pretty sweet.

Chapter III: Desperate Times

A diplomat from Novgorod arrives, bearing the same offers of trade and map information that Poland did. Again, we turn the negotiations to our advantage. They accept.

We are currently the largest faction in the area. A diplomat from Denmark comes, and it’s the same routine. The Teutonic Order does not sign its alliance off in a heartbeat.

They decline, however, and continue to offer alliance. After fruitless bargaining, we reject the diplomat all together. Until our economy gets better, the plans against Lithuania are, for now, halted. Denmark allies itself with both Norway and Poland. A crusading noble arrives on our shores, with the need for blood. His donation could help us, and who are we to deny one to kill Pagans?

What is Novgorod planning? Don’t do anything rash, now…

Lithuania is on the move, as well.

Again with the diplomats, this time from the Holy Roman Empire. We exchange map information, and share trade rights.

Same exact thing happens with the Mongols, I’ll spare you the image. We send the eager noble to dispose of a Lithuanian army.

Assuming direct control. Our army charges to meet them.

Chaaaarge!

Their army is easily crushed, though the frontal assault lost me many spearmen and cavalry.

A truly “awe-inspiring” victory.

Lithuania rejects the ransom we placed, either out of pride, shame, or economic turmoil.

Flush with victory, Charles marches towards another army, headed by a general.

An unfortunate turn of events. We should’ve seen this coming. However, it seems the Lithuanian captain is not entirely in his right mind, and lays siege with the entire army facing away from the city…

Some reinforcements are sent from Dunaburg and Windau, to relieve pressure.

Stupid Dane blocking the way!

Reluctantly we comply with the outrageous offer.

We actually gain florins, however, as we trade map information for 500 of them.
    We take the bulk of the army at Palanga and lay siege to Siauliai. A risky – but necessary – move. Those axemen seem like they will be the problem again. Charles is on his way there as well.

We also reluctantly disband parts of the army. The besieging force at Riga is attacked with the additional reinforcements.

Cliffhanger...

Another short and sweet chapter, as to end with a cliffhanger. Will the Teutonic Order triumph and crush both Lithuania and Novgorod, or will it fall prey to the nomads? Continue reading to find out!
    Last edited by Dismounted Ritterbrüder; March 16, 2013 at 11:40 PM.

The....suspence........

Good work again. Yet more rep.

Chapter IV: Recovery

Welcome back. Last time, we attempted to lift the siege of Riga by sending reinforcements.

Reinforcements are arriving to bolster our numbers and resolve.

Our men meet with the enemy, and we are fairly successful, the Lithuanian troops mainly being militia-grade infantry and cavalry. They have, what, 5 groups of peasants? One of our captains falls, and so does the enemies’.

The Order Spearmen are killing machines.

Our pikemen and swordsmen meet and decimate the undisciplined rabble. Most of their force is now routing, and my forces are picking off the stragglers.

Victory! I wish they hadn’t escaped with so many men, but most of their real fighters were dead anyways. A welcome victory nonetheless.

The captain chooses to execute the prisoners. We could use the money, but we don’t want them escaping with even more men.

Some good news. Our economy is getting better. If we take Siauliai, that should help it even further. We also secure trade with the Danish, and that should help too. The Mongols and the Poles go to war with each other, which will weaken both, and that is always good for the Order. Things seem to be recovering.

Speaking of taking Siauliai…

The ladders are at the walls. However, the siege ram is destroyed by fire arrows.

After a long time of fighting, the men take the walls. The others, including Charles’ reinforcements, who just arrived, charge in.

The cavalry prove their worth as they decimate the forces at the gates and charge to the square.

Most of their forces are now garrisoned at the town square, and I commence a flanking maneuver with Charles’ infantry.

We have won the battle. But at what cost? It seems we have struck a triple whammy – the Lithuanian general is dead, but so are Charles and Dietrich. Tales will be sung of their heroics for years to come.

The men set upon the settlement, pilfering and looting whatever they see fit. We are also gaining strength financially.

We send a small force to take Panevezys, as it is lightly defended.

Poland marches 2 large armies straight through our territory, but we think they are simply passing through on their way to the Mongols. At least, we hope so…

An overview of Eastern Europe:

I hope you’ve all enjoyed the latest chapter in the saga of the Teutonic Order!
    Last edited by Dismounted Ritterbrüder; March 16, 2013 at 11:44 PM.

Chapter V: Horse Archers

In an unforeseen move, Lithuania uses one of its armies to attack my force besieging Panevezys. Rather than waste lives, we withdraw.

Word has reached us that Poland has gone to war with Lithuania. This is good, and we hope to establish an alliance with them. They have already taken a city, besieging another.

Poland, however, takes the initiative and offers it to us come winter. They accept, and so an alliance is formed. We also offer map information as a gift in an attempt to improve our relations.

Novgorod demands money in exchange for not attacking. We proudly reject this, because if Novgorod did attack, we would be ready

The Mongols also declare war on Lithuania. Pagans against Pagans. Ha! The Order does enjoy news like this.

A deadly new weapon stalks the battlefield of wars…

We take a larger force and lay siege to Panevezys once again while Novgorod has a camping trip outside of Riga.

Seems like it will be a close battle. I will direct this personally.

Our men marched unopposed to the main gate, as there are no men to man the walls and towers. I rather like the natural ramp leading to the city; if only the battle were more grand.

They are coming…

The one unit of crossbowmen is pummeled, and the cavalry charges to where the General resides. He doesn’t hear us coming.

I'm ashamed I managed to receive that many casualties.

Our current Hochmeister dies, and he will be remembered for starting the chain of events that would lead to the Teutonic Order coming under control of all of Eastern Europe. Hochmeister Lorenz is crowned.

The Teutonic Order now ranks as first in all but the financial category.

The deception!

At least we will be able to put the Crusading Noble to good use.

Luckily, Philipp gets to Pernau in time. He assaults the besieging force, and they retreat.

An interesting turn of events. This puts the Order in an awkward stance. Cease hostilities with our now Christian brothers, or continue to crush them?

On the Eastern Front, however, we are able to lay siege to Velikiye Luki and Olysta.

We immediately assault Olysta.

We easily push them back. Nothing too spectacular.

Unfortunately, a horse archer catches Philipp during a volley, and he is felled in battle.

A shameful victory; I lost more men than the enemy.

Olysta will be turned into a castle, as we cannot risk an undefended village on our enemies borders, and we cannot wait for it to develop.

The assault on Velikiye Luki begins.

Another mediocre victory.

Well, that’s it for this chapter. An overview of my status:

Last edited by Dismounted Ritterbrüder; March 16, 2013 at 11:51 PM.

Very good. You are quite good at this.
    I hold the blitz record for Medieval II (106 region in 7 turns) set in January 2024.

Hmmmmm.... Very interesting twist.

Keep up the good work!

+rep when i spread some.

Chapter VI: The Mongol Invasion

In a traitorous move, the Mongols lay siege to Dunaburg. They have much cavalry, and I only archers and swordsmen. I send reinforcements from Panevezys to assist.

An interesting offer… Costly, but it seems it will be worth it. I accept.

The reinforcements arrive and attack the Mongolians. There force is mainly archers, most on foot, but some on horses. They also have a catapult and a rocket launcher. I hope that does not cause too many casualties.

Our Knechten deal with the horse archers. Our infantry force deals with their infantry, and our archers fire on their siege equipment.

We are winning. They mostly have only archers left, which should be an easy mop up when my troops catch up with them.

A clear victory. Luckily, the rockets did not have time to cause much damage.

The ransom was rejected, so we executed the lot of them.

Wilhelmus proved his worth in the battle, so he is adopted into the family.

Denmark and the Mongols sign an alliance, and so, Poland is forced to ceasefire with the Mongols. It is once again the Order facing its enemies alone. The Holy Roman Empire invades Poland, and takes one of its provinces. We now share a border with them, and must be wary.

We make contact with Norway (who is really rich) and establish trade with them. We also establish an alliance with the Holy Roman Empire, and so they and Poland cease hostilities.

However, it seems history has a habit of repeating, and they declare war again. (And they will again hundreds of years later) We are faced with a tough choice, but ultimately stick with our older friend, Poland.

We discover that 2 of Novgorod’s cities are lightly defended, so we send out men to capture them.

A frightening turn of events. We acquire map information from the Mongols, and find the world to be a very different place than we remember.

Novgorod had several unseen armies, so our invasion is cancelled, and the troops are sent back.

Just what I need.

Seeing as how Poland is almost dead, we secure an alliance with the HRE.

The Mongols lay siege to Panevezys. Not good.

We will not go quietly.

It could go any way. Their forces switch back and forth between routing and fighting; their archers continuously run from our troops to fire at them again.

Most of their force is now dead or have routed, we just need to pick off the stragglers.

A victory with a surprising lack of casualties. It is welcome and needed.

One of the previous invasion armies managed to get in to Novgorod, and attacks Zubstov.

The most shameful victory yet...

The Mongols lay siege to Panevezys again and Thorn as well. They also destroy Lithuania, and I have the plague running rampant. This does not bode well. I will combat them next time.

Things are not good for the Order. The Mongols are our greatest threat, and they have many armies, like Novgorod. Because Novgorod has over 10 armies just wandering around, I can’t attack them. And the plague just makes everything worse. I will need to act strategically if I wish to triumph, or I will fall into the dustbin of history, one of many Mongolian conquests.
    Last edited by Dismounted Ritterbrüder; March 16, 2013 at 11:58 PM.
    AAR's:
    [M2TW Kingdoms] Waging Holy War, a Teutonic Order AAR *in progress*

Nice Update!

Well.... as Lithuania are dead couldn't you just capture the required settlements?

Anywhoo, another good update!

SonofaBooyah's Avatar Vicarius

Quite enjoyed this AAR so far actually, depsite the Teutonic campaign being my least favourite campaign on Kingdoms.
    Just goes to show how good you are at story-telling

Quote Originally Posted by King William the Conqueror View Post
    Nice Update!
    Quote Originally Posted by bradavies View Post
    Quite enjoyed this AAR so far actually, depsite the Teutonic campaign being my least favourite campaign on Kingdoms.
    Just goes to show how good you are at story-telling
    Thank you for the kind words.

Quote Originally Posted by Britannia's Finest View Post
    Well.... as Lithuania are dead couldn't you just capture the required settlements?

Anywhoo, another good update!
    I will take the cities required for victory... on the road to taking every city!
    Last edited by Dismounted Ritterbrüder; March 16, 2013 at 11:58 PM.
    AAR's:

Chapter VII: The Mongolian Empire strikes back!

When we left off, the Mongols took the Order by storm and laid siege to Thorn and Panevezys. Seeing as how we have the advantage at Panevezys (because most of their army is archers), we sally forth to defend the city a second time.

The cavalry is able to take out their rocket launchers and some archers. The infantry battles for victory over the hordes.

Their archers are no match for disciplined Teutons, however, and are effectively destroyed. We chase the scattered remnants that are left.

Another heroic defense. My infantry makes mincemeat of Mongol archers.

The prisoners are executed. No rest for the wicked.

We decide not to sally at Thorn, as they have more troops than us, and the fortress should be rather secure.

The plague has struck. This is not good. Not good at all. We can only hope the same happens to the Mongols.

The Mongols also lay siege to Konigsberg. Their force is solely made up of archers, so it should be an easy fight. Wait, I just jinxed it. Damn.

We’re winning, but it’s somewhat… pyrrhic. We’re taking pretty heavy losses, especially for just archers. Guess I did jinx it.

Another heroic victory for the order! Brave hearts and brave Christian souls have prevailed against Pagan hordes! Huzzah! Ahem. Now back to the grand scheme of things, where I have the plague and more Mongols. Still, I am pleased by this streak.

The Mongols launch their assault on Thorn. Hopefully the bravery and skill possessed by many of my troops are also possessed by the defenders.

Their larger force is stranded on the either side of the battle with no siege equipment, and their siege tower catches fire. The walls are also holding. At the gates, I have set up a defensive line for them to funnel in to. As a wise king once said, “We’ll take ‘em at the hot gates where their numbers don’t count for !”

We’ve been holding the line so far (though at the walls it could go any way). However, their reinforcements are just arriving which may be… problematic.

Maybe not us much as I feared, however. The AI seems to be content to simply let my arrows shoot them by standing there. How kind.

The moment that I knew would come, though, did, and I had to charge out to face them. In an open-field battle victory was unlikely, so I vowed to take as many with me as I could, and I did just that. That is a victory in itself.

This chapter is effectively cut short, due to time constraints. It will be resumed and changed to a full update hopefully sometime soon, perhaps tomorrow.
    Last edited by Dismounted Ritterbrüder; March 17, 2013 at 12:02 AM.
    AAR's:

Nice update! Keep the pictures coming Too bad you barely didnt hold the city :/

I would chase them back from your cities but not chase them into their territory. You don't want to leave your lands weak to the Norvgord, Lithuanians and (too a lesser extent) the Danes, the Poles and the HRE.

Quote Originally Posted by The Norseman View Post
    Nice update! Keep the pictures coming Too bad you barely didnt hold the city :/
    Thanks! I might have held it had the AI funneled into my gates, but as said they decided to not to anything. And there was no time limit so I had to go out.

Quote Originally Posted by Britannia's Finest View Post
    I would chase them back from your cities but not chase them into their territory. You don't want to leave your lands weak to the Norvgord, Lithuanians and (too a lesser extent) the Danes, the Poles and the HRE.
    Yeah, I should probably do that. Novgorod has lots of troops (I think the upkeep is what's bankrupting them) but they aren't attacking. Lithuania is history, even if not destroyed they can't put up any competition. The Danes and The Poles are preoccupied with the HRE, who is my allies. I mainly want to wait until the plague passes (it's killing all my dang troops!) to do anything big, taking Thorn back should probably be my main priority.
    AAR's:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast