View Poll Results: Thoughts on this new game?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Well, it's Bioware, an RPG, Star Wars... this is where it all started for them. Good news!

12 34.29%
  • Despite their succes with Kotor 1, the present Bioware is a far cry from their golden days... this will be a mediocre game.

12 34.29%
  • I won't be buying this.

1 2.86%
  • Well at least the SW franchise was already ruined, this won't make a difference.

3 8.57%
  • Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

7 20.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The new Bioware Star Wars game

Razvus's Avatar Campidoctor

Default The new Bioware Star Wars game

Link 1

Link 2

The overlords have spoken, and it seems like Bioware will be working on another SW game in the future, obviously an RPG. They're currently working on DA3, ME4, SWTOR (expansions mostly), and a new IP game (maybe this was it all along?) and I'm wondering where will all this fit in. Maybe they'll cancel a project to make room for this new one?
    But who cares about that, what's it going to be about? Kotor 3? no... wait, we have this TOR crap as a sequel... in theory. Or maybe it's going to support the new movies by being placed in the future with Old Luke and everyone. One thing's for certain, in the following years we'll be over our heads in Star Wars. We've got new movies of varying kinds, new games from three different EA-owned studios... we'll be praying for something new and original. The DLC's will be many, the micro-transactions will be murderous and our souls will surely be sold into slavery by EA. Nothing will ever touch these guys now. They just got Star Wars in their lap, as the worst company of the year. Gaming industry crashing? Oh no, this will just keep going and going until every kid that is born will be wrapped in lightsaber-themed diapers.

Other than that, I am actually curious what this is all about and even with all the wrong turns that Bioware has been making lately, but they did make Kotor 1 a century ago in gaming years. TOR is a WOW clone but the story and dialogue bear the Bioware seal and considering this will be a new singleplayer-RPG, it can be a good thing. I'll pass judgment when we'll see a gameplay trailer of some sort. But that can be a long time from now...

anyway, discuss.

my vote in the poll is mostly optimistic. I'm thinking this would be the final chance for Bioware to redeem themselves in face of the fans. They started with Kotor 1 for most, that's when people started hearing about them more. it's considered they're signature game and the start of Bioware-quality-games. Screwing up something that brings you back to your origins would be suicide. i'm hoping this was all that they needed, a trip down memory-lane to remember where they started from.
    Last edited by Razvus; May 07, 2013 at 06:42 AM.
    No.

Comes Domesticorum

Default Re: The new Bioware Star Wars game

We could still get a KotOR III, there is still like a century or two (don't forget how long) between KotOR II and TOR.

In any case, I've basically given up on the Star Wars franchise, so I hope that they spend more time making a great new Mass Effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Razvus View Post
    They started with Kotor 1 for most, that's when people started hearing about them more. it's considered they're signature game and the start of Bioware-quality-games.
    Wait-what?
    Neverwinter Nights, and of all things - Baldur's Gate means nothing to you?!

I'm sorry that I didn't mention them, it doesn't mean they didn't exist. As I said, that's when people started to hear about them MORE. Being possibly the best Star Wars game to date, the first for them in the SW franchise, you can't deny that suddenly a lot more people started hearing about Bioware.
    No.

Meh, since Mass Effect 3 i have lost all hope for Bioware really, the best Bioware game IMO was Neverwinter Nights, quite epic, but this will probably be a shooter/lightsaber game with minimal RP, it will probably look more like Force Unleashed than KOTOR 1 and 2.
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

StealthFox's Avatar Consensus Achieved
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

I hope for the best, but my hopes aren't that high.

Atterdag's Avatar Tro og Håb

For an online RPG, I'd venture that the Old Republic was a pretty neat game. At least that's my opinion. Generally, I'm positive about this, as I've been hoping they'd continue the KotOR style for quite a long time.
    Granted Lettre de Marque by King Henry V - Spurs given by imb39
    Сканија је Данска

عیسی پسر مریم گفت :' جهان است پل ، عبور بیش از آن است ، اما هیچ ساخت خانه بر آن او امیدوار است که برای یک روز ، ممکن است برای ابدیت امیدواریم ، اما ماندگار جهان اما ساعت آن را صرف در دعا و نماز برای استراحت است نهان

All of the Balkans is not worth the bones of a single Pomeranian grenadier.
    Otto von Bismarck

Evariste's Avatar We are one, we are many

The studio that made awesome games like the Baldur's Gate series, KotOR, Dragon Age, and the first two Mass Effects is long gone. The doctors have left the building. Bioware might as well be called EA Edmonton.
    Last edited by Evariste; May 09, 2013 at 09:18 PM.

Not a fan of Dragon Age or Mass Effect, and The Old Republic was disappointing. I do not have high hopes for any game Bioware produces with the Star Wars license, if they produce a game at all (they probably will).

I was actually a fan (and still am despite everyone clamoring it as the deathknell of EA and Bioware) of SWTOR. Was it revolutionary? No. But Guild Wars 2 wasn't either. SWTOR is a highly entertaining game with a quite lively player base that continues to improve and has yet to be killed dead by microtransactions.

I think how I'll feel about it depends on how well DA3 performs TBH.

Patronized by the mighty Heinz Guderian

SoulBlade's Avatar Vicarius

After Mass Effect 3 I lost all hope. Whatever they make, it will probably be in a half-finished state.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Roman View Post
    Satan works in cunning way to keep us away of god. Sciene is the religion of Satan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes. View Post
    TWC is ruining my abilty to have an erection
    Quote Originally Posted by Point Blank View Post
    Regarding the Irish, if its between them and the Timurids:
    Irish: ran around bogs and forests munching on potatoes
    Timurids: slaughtered millions and threw empires into terror
    OK I'm not sure the Irish had potatoes in medieval times but that still doesn't tip things in their favour
    When in doubt, say - Trve Norsk Blækk Mettal

a

// [Last.fm][/SPOILER]
    Play Supremacy 1914, the free real-time strategy online games and the Browsergame of the Year 2009!

[SPOILER]

Supremacy1914 - the best MMO

Spoiler for Dangerous stuff
    Code:
    Signature stock:  

Quote Originally Posted by frozenprince View Post
    I was actually a fan (and still am despite everyone clamoring it as the deathknell of EA and Bioware) of SWTOR. Was it revolutionary? No. But Guild Wars 2 wasn't either. SWTOR is a highly entertaining game with a quite lively player base that continues to improve and has yet to be killed dead by microtransactions.
    Having played both SWTOR (before it went free, admittedly), and World of Warcraft, the former was pretty much a slightly clunkier, reskinned version of the later. Why would people play TOR when they already have WoW?

When will game corporation executives learn that they can't just make WoW with a different IP and expect it to have any kind of success?

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

KotoR 2 > KotoR 1 > ToR > new game.

I am pessimistic about any venture in the SW universe for Bioware. Most, if not all, of the people who worked on the previous game are no longer with the company. And those that are are no longer what they once were.

For me Bioware died with ME 2 and DA 2.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

sickpeople's Avatar Semisalis

I promised not to touch anything made by EA-Bioware. I intend to keep my promise.

Idiots, Idiots never change.

You liked Kotor 2 more than the first one, even with all the bugs and unfinished content? You know that Bioware didn't develop the sequel right?

Quote Originally Posted by Evariste View Post
    You liked Kotor 2 more than the first one, even with all the bugs and unfinished content? You know that Bioware didn't develop the sequel right?
    Well Kotor 1 is a more polished game, and more starwarsy then Kotor2.
    The Potencial of Kotor 2 was greater then kotor 1. Too bad it felt unfinished, allthough was overal a better game then Kotor.
    Even the story is much more darker, mature, not without its plot flaws though.
    Btw swtor is a sequel perhaps not a direct sequel, given is 300 years after, but if one pay attention to the story elements in the game and its midia, they mostly pick where they left on kotor 2 on most themes.
    What i mean lore wise in the EU star wars continuity, its everything explain and set.

I didnt vote on the poll because i didnt find any option that i would like.
    My politic regarding bioware is wait and see first. I might buy it after release if its found to be a good game.

Its true Bioware isnt what once was, given recent not sucessfull games mainly da2 and ME3, but i would never presume to say that they cant make a great memorable game again, if they realy want to.

At anycase i doubt it will be KOTOR3. disney will probably want something to be on the line with the new star wars films theme.

For me Bioware died with ME 2 and DA 2.
    Nor ME3 or ME2 have the great storyline that ME has, however ME2 has probably the best companion depth imersion and the most enjoyable gameplay. Plotwise is mediocre though.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; May 11, 2013 at 07:04 PM.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Bioware is dead to me since DA2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Habelo's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Bioware was dead the day EA bought em.
    You have a certain mentality, a "you vs them" and i know it is hard to see, but it is only your imagination which makes up enemies everywhere. I haven't professed anything but being neutral so why Do you feel the need to defend yourself from me?. Truly What are you defending? when there is nobody attacking?

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...console-future

I'd say the guy would have no problem saying how evil EA is if it was so. Maybe they (Bioware) just tried bitting more than they could chew in the end with all those funds added. I'm sure the truth is somewhere in the middle. And he does admit that EA gave them the green light on everything... as long as it brought in profits.

Regarding the new SW game, I'm thinking they have two choices. Make it like Dragon Age 1 so it would resemble Kotor, or make it action like Mass Effect with the dialogue wheel and all. Mixing them would be bad... because DA2.
    No.

I'd be more interested if Obsidian made a Star Wars RPG. Kotor2 was better than Kotor1 especially if you include the restored content mod. Kotor3 won't happen though, unless they decide to retcon everything about TOR (which I wouldn't complain about).

If you rep me leave your name and I'll rep you back!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast