Thread: Play Multiplayer with others! Gameranger

Default Play Multiplayer with others! Gameranger

Hi all

If you don't have the mod go here for 2.0+2.08c
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=394171

1st what is gameranger, a global network when you can play clasic games like rome total war in virtual LAN

Download: http://www.gameranger.com/

Advantages over hamachi

- Simple and useful room and friend system
    - Is a global network about 25k-50k users online and about 10+ TW rooms, you dont need specific and active hamachi network pass etc etc, if you wanna play you host a room and people can see your room
    - You dont need launch the game, this automatically launch and connect automatically to host when room are ready (believe me, is brilliant, you never wait inside the game)
    - 0 problems is done for games
    - P2P

Is prety easy found players for play romeTW I want the same for LotR TW

How to make mod work with gameranger
    Well all is not perfetc... there is 2 problems 1 solved, 2nd I am working on it but you can ignore it
    1st problem, you can't add the .bat launcher. You need modify the system in which the mod is launched by follow 5 simple steps

1st of all be sure that you had 2.08m (is the version that we are using) http://www.mediafire.com/?r3tmjjkmtxi
    CAUTION: Be sure that you only had this "lotrw 2.08 EDU mp" active (and the translation module if you are using one) in JSGME and then make the 5 steps, by this way you will have the same version and all ready for play

Go "rometw\alexander\lotrtw" copy the 5 or 6 folders (custom, data, preferences, display, replays, saves)
    2 Go "Mods" folder in main rometw folder (JSGME mods folder)
    3 Make a new folder, name don't care exm "modLOTRTW" make a new folder inside named "alexander"
    4 Paste the folders that you copied in 1st step
    5 Run JSGME.exe (The icon with a great G in main rometw folder) and active the mod "modLOTRTW" (folder that you created) wait a little...
    Ready, now you dont need shortcut or .bat when you execute rometw-alx.exe the LOTRTW mod will be lauched

The second problem is that musics and sounds are from original rometw for no reason, idk what is the problem

GameRanger usually recognize game automatically if not work go edit-options searh rome total war: Alexander and choose your rometw-alx.exe

Now you are ready for play LotRTW with others

EDIT UPDATE
    How to UPDATE mod to 2.08m (or future versions)
    Ok I did all the 5 steps but dont have the same version i must do all again? NO
    1 Download 2.08m http://www.mediafire.com/?r3tmjjkmtxi
    2 Open the rar file and go to alexander\lotrtw\ You will see folder named "data"
    3 Don't close rar and go to mainRTWfolder\mods\folderthatyoucreated\alexander
    4 Extrar the "data" folder from the rar inside this alexander folder, remplace all
    5 Go JSGME and reactivate the mod (presh << and activate "modLOTRTW") (this last step is necesary sorry)

Now you must have the updated version

Multiplayer rulesFor fun and films battles
    -At least 50% of army must by cc infantry
    Close combat infantry are all infantry that non-skirmishes, no berserker but yes trops that throw a weapon before charge
    Simple if you have 20 units at least 10 must be close combat infantry the other 10 can be any combination of archers, cabalary, especial units like trolls or more infantry,berserkers etc. This % limit is used because elfs armys usually are 10 or less units so static limits dont work

-Max 5 of the same unit
    Same picture, name, same unit

-Trolls/mumaks/berserker/chariots limit 3 (in total)
    Yes trolls (ele) are allowed any army of mordor is complete without trolls, highly recomended that you fire all agains them, maybe 0 trolls will die but they will be injured and this is a great diference in close combat

-Max 2 artillery
    Yes arty is allowed, is very usefull vs elf, dwarf, gondor and forces any enemy to attack, is an anti square formation too

-Elite units limit 2 (in total)
    Elite units are infantry or cabalary units that have more hit points than normal trops, or hero portrait in unit card
    That's all

Advices in the battle

Well that is my vision of the game, in LotR TW you need a battle front made with troops with defense like spearmen, swormens and militia (militia is very useful is cheap and usually have more number that normal trops and this mean more front). The rest of troops are suppourts that decide the battle
    The key of defeat a unit is surround it, this is the key of the mod surround and dont be surrounded

There is other infrantry trop, the two handed weapon, this units are like minicabalary and is the best unit for attack the flank or rear from a unit, this units smash any infantry by this way.
    Well this fantastic type unit have a great weakness, no shield, and this mean that arrows and other projectiles make them a lot of damage archers must fire agains them soon as possible.

Archers, they are very good vs no shield units and necesary to defeat especial units like trolls, berserkers, wargs, but 1st you must defeat enemy archers. They are very usefull for fire the backs of the enemy that are in combat, this is very usefull vs all armys and is the only way of defeat dwarfs cleary

Everything happens in this battlefront you must try break the enemy battle front, flanks or center, there is a lot of ways for make this but you must see where do you try break, elite unit is very dificult break out morale, militia is easy but is a dispensable trop for the enemy, well is your choice in the battle

You can use reserve trops for help the weak sides of your battle front I use spearmen like reserve trops for help battlefront and protec the rear and flanks of my army

Cabalary the perfect surround unit, is very usefull for hunt archers too. The main funtion of my cabalary is break the rear of battle front, but there is a trick you must wait a little, a full unit morale is hard to break but when the unit takes a while figthing the cabalary is perfect for break morale and do a lot of casualties with his charges, you must charge all the time never leave the cabalary fighting

"Ey Im from evil I dont have these amazing cabalary" yes but you have anti-cabalry units like wargs and chariots, this units kill a lot of cabalary at low cost, they are good distracting archers while trolls and berserkers break the front like the best of cabalaries

For last save your units even 1 horse or 3 archers can decide a battle, battles are won at the end not at the 1st charge

And that all of my knowledge
    Last edited by trasius; April 21, 2012 at 07:19 AM.

Clagius's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Play online with others! Gameranger

LOTR-TW players use Hamachi, it is alot better. I highly recommend it for you too.

No hamachi, is worst, networks are limited, are full, not are globals, some conection problems. I used hamachi before with LotRTW for many years and don't have future anymore is dead, a lot of work for make an active network with active peopple over a month and after all go down and you have a full network with 2 active members
    1st day playing LotR TW gameranger with a new friend that I met in it, 4 people go into the room and ask me how to play the mod, 2 did all steps and began play with us. Other 6 ask me where download de mod

This is working!
    Last edited by trasius; April 05, 2012 at 04:57 AM.

Clagius's Avatar Campidoctor

Hamachi is good as well. For example, Hamachi works on some games that Gameranger doesn't. Als it is better for LAN games, since it's alot easier to maintain things in group with it.

But if you like to play alone I agree Gameranger is better, since you can find a game rooms for yourself very easily.

niko21's Avatar Civis

DO I SEE RIGHT OR ARE THEY PLAYING BTFME!???!?!? I TOUGHT PRIVATE SERVERS SHUTTED DOWN?????

Yes people play BFME 1 & 2 and rise of the witch-king too
    Today we are 10 people with the mod ready for play with gameranger
    Last edited by trasius; April 06, 2012 at 08:04 AM.

niko21's Avatar Civis

he hey.I didnt know that there is still server for that game.

This still growing up, there is more than 10 people that have the mod ready and is usually conected

niko21's Avatar Civis

do you guys have lotr bfme? I want to play it online

Beautiful game, works very well. The sounds in multiplayer are funny. We need more players

Default Re: Play Multiplayer with others! Gameranger

If anyone wants to play add me to gameranger, I have all the setup done xD

USER: Kellhus
    Id: 7579428

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhus View Post
    If anyone wants to play add me to gameranger, I have all the setup done xD

USER: Kellhus
    Id: 7579428
    I'll try to configure it this weekend, to see if we can play at least some battles. I miss the experience of killing shinning gondorian armies!

Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    I'll try to configure it this weekend, to see if we can play at least some battles. I miss the experience of killing shinning gondorian armies!
    Ajajajajajaja we will see what happens xD

It seems Gameranger does install on linux, as explained here: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManag...sion&iId=20206.

In case someone here interested:
    1) you need to install wine
    2) install winetricks and execute in command line:
    winetricks -q mfc42
    3) download Gameranger installer and execute
    wine GameRangerSetup.exe

My account: Bardo
    Id: 9074979

EDIT: At the end, gameranger did not work for me (under linux). The game launches, and my friend can see me, but I can't see him in the lobby, and we can't join in battle.
    We end up using hamachi that does work under linux.
    Last edited by Bardo; December 23, 2017 at 02:03 PM.

By the way, in order to play online you do not need what the first post says (it is outdated).
    You just need the latest v3.02 installed and then this part:

1 Go "rometw\alexander\lotrtw" copy the 5 or 6 folders (custom, data, preferences, display, replays, saves)
    2 Go "Mods" folder in main rometw folder (JSGME mods folder)
    3 Make a new folder, name doesn't care, for example "modLOTRTW". Make a new folder inside named "alexander"
    4 Paste the folders that you copied in 1st step
    5 Run JSGME.exe (The icon with a great G in main rometw folder) and active the mod "modLOTRTW" (folder that you created) wait a little...
    Ready, now you dont need shortcut or .bat when you execute rometw-alx.exe the LOTRTW mod will be lauched
    (6) In order to revert to initial state: Run JSGME.exe and disable the mod "modLOTRTW". You may delete the folder "Mods\modLOTRTW" that you created if you do not plan to use it again.

This is only needed for Gameranger. In hamachi or steam you do not need to do anything.

EDIT: I close this outdated topic to avoid misunderstandings.
    Last edited by Bardo; December 26, 2017 at 02:43 PM.