Thread: Koroni castle

Legionary Jezza's Avatar Praefectus

Default Koroni castle

I love this castle i might be biased because i'm neighbours with the castle lol.
    The castle occupies the headland to the east of the modern town and is built on the ruins of the ancient Messenian town of Asine. It was erected in the 6th or 7th century A.D., and was used all through the Byzantine period. Koroni was captured by the Venetians in 1206 and was used as a supplying centre. In 1500 the castle was occupied by the Turk Bayazit Pasha and remained under Turkish domination until 1686 when it was recaptured by the Venetians. In 1715, when the Venetians left the Peloponnese, the castle was again dominated by the Turks who kept it until 1828, when it was liberated by the French general Maison.

This is just the outside wall.

God's Avatar Shnitzled In The Negev

Default Re: Koroni castle

That's a nice castle. I live just a few miles from Cardiff Castle:

Cardiff castle is of Norman origins. It is an outstanding example of the classic motte and bailey fortification. Passing through the gatehouse, you are immediately seized by the vision of the motte as it surges upwards from the lush green bailey directly across from the gateway. And, its crowning glory is the remarkably intact shell keep. With the bulky motte and its surrounding water-filled ditch, the marvelous keep gives the visitor a perfect image of the true Norman castle.

The first Norman castle was built on the site in about 1091, by Robert Fitzhamon, Lord of Gloucester and one of the Conqueror's favored followers, an earth and timber fortification, merely a mound and bailey. The motte, erected over a rocky hillock, was some 40 feet tall, and would have been protected by a timber palisade. During the 12th century, the castle's lord, Robert "the Consul" (the natural son of King Henry I), realized the defensive value of reinforcing his fortress with stone and ordered the construction of the shell keep. The 12-sided keep survives in fine condition, the only significant additions being its 15th century gatehouse and the stairway breaching the sloping motte. For a time, the keep was the prison of Robert, 2nd Duke of Normandy (and also Fitzhamon's uncle), on the command of Fitzhamon's father, the king.

Much of Cardiff Castle's history revolves around conflicts with the native populace. In 1183-84 the Welsh revolted, and caused much damage to the castle and its associated town. Even though the powerful de Clare family took hold of the castle (as well as numerous other estates) in the following century, problems persisted with Welsh insurgency. In the 1270's, when Wales was unified under the leadership of the charismatic Welshman, Llywelyn ap Gruffydd (the Last), Gilbert de Clare refortified the castle in anticipation of further Welsh rebellion. The curtain wall was strengthened and construction of the Black Tower and south gateway was initiated. The much awaited assault never occurred and de Clare's work remains in solid repair to this day.

Hehe mine looks a stronger one.

Wow amazing castles !!!
    You give me blood and I shall provide you with freedom .

Subhash Chandra Bose

Chief Malaka's Avatar Laetus

yeh i wuz dragged to koroni castle a few years ago when we were in Greece. It wuz quite cool tho and went swimming on that beach there

OMG I thought this thread dies 2 years ago it did and was revived by a first time poster lol.