Thread: LME 3, lower artillery accuracy could improve battles!

Icon4 LME 3, lower artillery accuracy could improve battles!

Hi,

I see that the AI loves to pound my lovely Grenadiers de consuls with artillery wiping out 50 men out of 249 within 2 blasts, These shots are pin pointed at this unit as it stands as a reserve behind my lines.

Lowering artillery accuracy shouldnt spoil the game-ambiance or does it?

In real life artillery shells flew by and hit a certain area, always leaving fate to decide what happens?

In NTW case, I can shoot Picton, Wellington and all the other backstabbing brits in the arse, right?

I am lowering their accuracy, howitzers are making craters like a meteorite of a size of a car does.

Cheers
    He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts...for support rather than illumination.

Default Re: LME 3, lower artillery accuracy could improve battles!

Alright,

I turned it down to 15-max 30 for canons

15 for howitzer.

6-9 for mortars.
    He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts...for support rather than illumination.

The shells and balls are hitting often nearby the advancing columns rather than straight into them.

TheRomanRuler's Avatar Campidoctor

EDIT4: I think so too
    Last edited by TheRomanRuler; April 05, 2012 at 02:07 AM.
    Apologies for anyone who's message i may miss or not be able to answer

How does the artillery accuracty compare to vanilla NTW? I never really played vanilla NTW, which is why I'm asking.

Accuracy is pretty much the same as in Vanilla. But I play with huge numbers on the field with over 10.000 men on each side when playing the key battles!
    By then, you do not want to see 20% of your men get eaten by artillery so I turned down accuracy for about 60%!
    The result is that the shells are pounding a more widespread area in between my columns, leaving only barrages still breaking through my ranks, no immediate howitzer shells that explode
    mid rank killing 40 of my fusiliers and blowing a crater as big as an armstrong canon does in FoTs.

Now I have battles like in that Waterloo movie where artillery pounds randomly on the enemy without necessary casualties, but depends on luck to hit them well! No more killzones.

Quote Originally Posted by Poniatowski1991 View Post
    Accuracy is pretty much the same as in Vanilla. But I play with huge numbers on the field with over 10.000 men on each side when playing the key battles!
    By then, you do not want to see 20% of your men get eaten by artillery so I turned down accuracy for about 60%!
    The result is that the shells are pounding a more widespread area in between my columns, leaving only barrages still breaking through my ranks, no immediate howitzer shells that explode
    mid rank killing 40 of my fusiliers and blowing a crater as big as an armstrong canon does in FoTs.

Now I have battles like in that Waterloo movie where artillery pounds randomly on the enemy without necessary casualties, but depends on luck to hit them well! No more killzones.
    Could you be so kind and upload us your great sub-mod? It would save us some time, i wan`t to use that time playing LME3

i never had a problem with the artillery

in fact, i find it that they do an acceptable amount of damage so far, especially since they cant simply snipe cavalry and artillery or generals anymore but no longer just push infantry

I personally improved howitzer deadliness though, and also increased their gun number by 1

with increased range, and a slightly larger blast radious, they now take out from 10 to 1 man with a direct hit, and will actually land a direct hit 1 out of 2 shots (usually just 1 cannon will hit the mark, ll others just miss lol)

atleast that way it still serves a purpose rather than being utterly worthless: It can now harass the enemy (not annihilate) behind natural cover.

Know i playd LME3 bit more, and think that all stats are pretty fine
    Expect 1 thing! French should have (all inf units) better melee stats, they easily matched russians in it, and many times won them! But russians still have better melee stats, but only slightly.

Chevalier IX's Avatar Primicerius

I would rather the shells not rely on luck and blind fire at the ranges presented here in game,for by this era artillery was a rather sohpisticated arm that gave itself greatly to the sciences and mathematics of the era presented. Smoothbores they were so we cannot expect the accuracy of a rifled piece but so far I do not see the drawback currently. I bring several pieces of artillery to the fight each time and I want their numbers and fire to tell upon the enemy,rather than uselessy take space and money. They very much had the ability to be a decisive factor in battle and I would rather them remain as such

The shells are still lethal, but they do not hit immediately, it takes 2 or three shots (salvo's) until the "good range" is set we can say. So it is still realistic. I turned down the mortar accuracy heavily, because those are less accurate than 12 pounders.

I have set that the 4 and 3 pounders have the biggest accuracy.

The shells are still lethal, but they do not hit immediately, it takes 2 or three shots (salvo's) until the "good range" is set we can say. So it is still realistic. I turned down the mortar accuracy heavily, because those are less accurate than 12 pounders.

I have set that the 4 and 3 pounders have the biggest accuracy.
    You are always allowed to post your changes as a submod and let other people benefit from your work and ultimately give you proper feedback?

I noticed your 40 units UI post, so you know the way to the LME submod forum: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1679

Best regards
    iutland