Thread: FOTS the usual disaster by Creative Assembly

[G-Shock]'s Avatar Semisalis

Default FOTS the usual disaster by Creative Assembly

I had to wait to complete my first campaign at Hard level before posting my impressions on what could be done to salvage this disaster. At hard level and having no idea on the new buildings and units it was no challenge at least not with Shimazu.

The vanilla game brings forth to FOTS all the evident deficiencies of S2 and ROTS with the difference that in the other 2 cases there's the realm divide event that unfairly gives you less odds (by cutting down your trade revenue).

To begin with, it is 1860 and troops move on the map like they were using crutches. 3 months from Satsuma to Higo, by my own calculations at the standard rate of 30 li per day, in use by Sun Tzu about 2000 yrs before, the same distance should be covered in 11 days (aerial calculation so make it 15, half a turn).
    This means your reinforcements will NEVER arrive and the same goes with the AI. You rout its army, the army remains at hand, you destroy it easy... all the reinforcements inbound from far away must reassemble to get to some other general while you advance and keep advancing.
    The sea movement roughly follows the same principle: it looks like coal powered ships are being pushed by chinese clone-slaves by blowing on the sails.

The 3d siege is at it again. The AI assaults your castle with numbers useful to be totally vanquished in open field. Imagine with walls and towers. I just had an offensive siege, 2000 vs 1000 and I won by autoresolution losing ZERO men. Granted... are we supposed to play every single 3d battle and siege because CA can't make the autoresolve work?! The AI must be slaughtered easy because CA can't make it attack when vastly superior?

Talk about modernization.
    The maximum level is 4, you reach it in 5 years time... too fast and too little penalties.

There's too much ammo on the field and even the off-map naval bombardment says it will arrive in 8 seconds, it arrives in 20 seconds.
    The ishi shin is too powerful... I had riot 6 provinces in a row, the AI never garrisons and it always loses to the rebs then I take over easy. Considering the Shinobi and the veteran already kill generals and characters, the ishi shin shouldn't. The number of agents in total being 5 each seems to be too much and they increase experience too fast also.

I wouldn't know where to start here or where to stop but I suppose everyone sees the vanilla fots is even worse than the vanilla S2 or SOTS.

Yarkis, you're the only one who can salvage this.

Default Re: FOTS the usual disaster by Creative Assembly

I didn't play much S2. I just plain didn't like it because I don't like all the melee units. I like bows, crossbows, javelins, guns, horse archers, and cavalry. I like the warfare in FotS better.

The movement in FotS is a bit ridiculous. I had taken Awaji at one point in my last campaign, and it took 5 or 6 turns to move an army from Awaji to Awa.

As Aizu, it takes 3/4 turns to arrive at your enemies (going from Fukushima to Shimotsuke). About half-way through the campaign I found myself surrounded by allies, so I had to plan a naval invasion. I swear it took @#$! near a year to finally invade.
    I don't always talk in tautologies, but when I do, I talk in tautologies.