Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Why do dudes play as Fem Shep?

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

Default Re: Why do dudes play as Fem Shep?

Quote Originally Posted by Kamos View Post
    That always seemed like the oddest reason to me. For me personally I could care about my characters body anymore than I want my mailbox to be sexy.
    Wait, you're saying you don't want a sexy mailbox?
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesīr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

The Dude's Avatar Praeses
    I hate it when forums display your location. Now I have to be original.

Quote Originally Posted by Inhuman One View Post
    Problem is that female heroes are rarely done properly. Often they are not believeable due to being overly sexualised. This is not the case with shepard. Personly I am writing a story about a female hero actually, my motivation for that was to portray a female hero in a realistic way. Theres a delicate path there though.. you dont want the female hero to be too manly since that might make her unlikeable, but not too feminine either since that could get unrealistic.
    I always hold that a person is first their species, then their gender. Women are conditioned by society to be a certain way as much as men are, and while certain differences in are genetically hardwired (physical differences like strength and stamina, but also things like women being more emotional for example) there is a lot of room for variation. A female action hero is convincing if the story's circumstances are what shape her rather than the author's preconceived notion of what a female action hero should be like. Human beings are extremely malleable and capable of adapting to almost any type of challenge.

If the fate of the world rested on a single male tasked with designing a fashion pageant, there is no reason it couldn't turn out to be a major success. It's just something that most men, when given the option, prefer not to spend their time on. Same with women; action and combat is overall considered to be a male thing but if a woman is thrust into a situation where she is forced to fight and be a hardass, then that's what she will become. Most of the ways in which we prefer to behave ourselves are luxuries, and when faced with enough adversity I'm convinced that even the greatest girly girl will sooner or later abandon her role and act with prudence.
    Last edited by The Dude; April 05, 2012 at 06:43 AM.

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

Pretty much yes, the world I am writing about has few women fighting. I dislike games where they take the equal genders thing a bit too far and have as much female soldiers as male.

As for why my lead character fights, both her parents where warriors. Her father being a barbarian even. And her mother was the only child of her grandfather who raised her by himself and was a warrior of no small reputation either.
    She is drawn to battle, just like her parents and her grandfather. Not to prove she is tough, but to do what she does best. It gives her purpose. A normal settled life would just confuse her, she has no interest in romance and neither is she trying to make any feminist statement. Through troubled times there is a call for heroes, and she answers the call at a young age already, having an inherited talent for battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Katsumoto View Post
    I genuinely don't get it.
    Because I'd rather look at a woman for three games then a dude for three games. Also Fem Shep/Liara romance FTW!! :XD

Because Jennifer Hale is Femshep's voice actor and I'm a big fan of any character she plays...

Thus I prefer playing Femshep over Maleshep....

Lysimachus's Avatar Spirit Cleric

Quote Originally Posted by Outlawstar15a2 View Post
    Because I'd rather look at a woman for three games then a dude for three games. Also Fem Shep/Liara romance FTW!! :XD
    But Femshep doesn't even look that good. Hell, in the first two games she has fish lips and it's only really the third where she looks half-decent. Plus there's the fact that none of the armours or casual appearances are flattering at all. So, yeah, I don't really get that reason for playing Femshep.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluttershy View Post
    Always play broshep 1st and as my canon playthrough. Always do at least 1 playthrough as a fem shep just to see the dialogue differences, I prefer man shep, but I like to get my moneys worth when I spend $60 for a game and imo it would be a waste not to at least do 1 fem shep play through.

I prefer Meer and man shep (because in my mind it just "fits"). But Hale is probably the better Voice actor... why wouldnt you play both?
    Yes, just to widen the differences and check out some dialouge options, i was told hales the better actor and basicly, why not
    sci-fi girl on girl actions always a plus i guess

The Orcs of Gundabad Erin go Bragh FROGS

When I came back to Dublin I was court marshaled in my absence and sentenced to death in my absence, so I said they could shoot me in my absence"
    Brendan Behan
    The Irish won an Empire
    The Scots ran an Empire
    The English lost an Empire

"When I told the people of Northern Ireland that I was an atheist, a woman in the audience stood up and said, 'Yes, but is it the God of the Catholics or the God of the Protestants in whom you don't believe?"
    - Quentin Crisp

There is one weapon that the British cannot take away from us: we can ignore them.
    - Michael Collins

They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken.
    - Bobby Sands

Quote Originally Posted by Ishoss View Post
    Renegade Shep, man.

Paragon Shep, woman.
    EXACTLY.

Paragon male Shepard comes off bland and goody-two-shoes while female paragon Shepard comes off genuinely caring and compassionate.

Renegade male Shepard, on the other hand, seems more natural as a rough type who is charismatic but very blunt. While female renegade Shepard just comes off forced and as a cliche 'strong woman' type.

It's just my opinion though, no need to go spreading it around.

EDIT: Or maybe it's that no female sci-fi space hero can ever be as good as Ripley.
    Last edited by ivan_the_terrible; April 18, 2012 at 10:51 PM.

Male, all the way here, Tali is the best.

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

A bit odd question really, for a RPG-serie (or games what so ever)?

Why do I want to play a campaign as a bad ass renegade in ME-games when it do not really fit my personal moral preferences?
    Why do I even want to be a über space soldier when I'm quite the pacifist (if possible)?
    Why do i want to be an Orc in Wow or Undead commander in Heroes of Might & Magic or Elf in Baldurs Gate or Dwarf in Dragon Age? - especially as there's bigger difference between me and another species than me and another human gender.
    How come I'm a genious mechanic i Arcanum, a necromancer in Diablo II, a tiny elf-like swordwielding Link in Zelda-games or fat italian plumber any Mario-game etc etc?
    And so we can go on hehe

We want new challenging experiences and different angles of those experiences
    Last edited by Ngugi; May 10, 2012 at 11:33 AM.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tōl Acharn - mighty Dśnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliē Alģ, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Same here, its interesting to walk a new path instead of just follow the path you have followed your entire life. Its a game, you can play with it and experience different things. thats pretty much the purpose of it.

@OP
    Personal preference in games like these.
    I know in DA2 I played a fem Hawke for the simple reason that she had a better voice then male Hawke. Also simple exploration of the game, I like to see male female romances and the dialouges involved etc.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Lets be honest, we play female character because we want to make our ideal woman in game...
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

SoulBlade's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by hellheaven1987 View Post
    Lets be honest, we play female character because we want to make our ideal woman in game...
    None of them has long hair though
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Roman View Post
    Satan works in cunning way to keep us away of god. Sciene is the religion of Satan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes. View Post
    TWC is ruining my abilty to have an erection
    Quote Originally Posted by Point Blank View Post
    Regarding the Irish, if its between them and the Timurids:
    Irish: ran around bogs and forests munching on potatoes
    Timurids: slaughtered millions and threw empires into terror
    OK I'm not sure the Irish had potatoes in medieval times but that still doesn't tip things in their favour
    When in doubt, say - Trve Norsk Blękk Mettal

a

// [Last.fm][/SPOILER]
    Play Supremacy 1914, the free real-time strategy online games and the Browsergame of the Year 2009!

[SPOILER]

Supremacy1914 - the best MMO

Spoiler for Dangerous stuff
    Code:
    Signature stock:  

Quote Originally Posted by Ngugi View Post
    How come I'm a genious mechanic i Arcanum
    Because it's more fun than magick, and you get to travel on trains. Unless you have the Dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Lysimachus View Post
    But Femshep doesn't even look that good. Hell, in the first two games she has fish lips and it's only really the third where she looks half-decent. Plus there's the fact that none of the armours or casual appearances are flattering at all. So, yeah, I don't really get that reason for playing Femshep.
    because for the majority of the game ur not looking at her lips :/
    dan da man wit da plan
    all hail the mighty money cheat

vanian's Avatar Libertus

Prefer to play as the male Shep. I tried the female Shep once and felt a little uncomfortable chatting and flirting with male characters. I had a lot more fun romancing Kelly Chambers, Ash and Miranda than Kaiden.

Why would you feel uncomfortable about what you tell a character on a computer screen to do? Killing people in that same game might be far less comforteable then.

Quote Originally Posted by hellheaven1987 View Post
    So you're ideal woman can kick your ass

Anyways, I played my first ME-ME2 playthrough as Renegade MaleShep, and then I started to play a Paragon FemShep to get to the lesbian scenes, but then didn't feel like rehashing the storyline again.

Anyways, I no longer understand the excitement about female-female sexual relations, after hearing a rumor that a girl I obsessed over for 2 years is bisexual, so I kinda lost taste for girl-on-girl action because it reminds me of her.
    FREE THE NIPPLE!!!

alexanderswift's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Slaytaninc View Post
    So you're ideal woman can kick your ass
    Oh yes.

I kind of switch between the two, depending on the game. Shepard just feels more appropriate as a female to me, dunno why. Just seems like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sphere View Post
    Don't try and kill my internet joy.

It is all I have.