Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Why do dudes play as Fem Shep?

The Dude's Avatar Praeses
    I hate it when forums display your location. Now I have to be original.

Default Re: Why do dudes play as Fem Shep?

Quote Originally Posted by Katsumoto View Post
    I think Mark Meer does a fine job doing the VO; I don't see how the woman that does the VO for FemShep is any better. In what way is male Shepard bland?
    It's just how his voice sounds to me, I can't help it. I tried playing as maleshep in both ME1 and ME2 and in each case I never made it past the opening section of the game. I haven't even bothered to try in ME3, because I know I would never make it past Mars rofl.

There's so many voice actors I would've preferred. The guy who does John 117 in Halo. The guy who does Nomad in Crysis. Hell, I'm sure John DiMaggio could've cooked up another voice, that guy is crazy talented. Fred Tatasciore would've been a good pick if he hadn't already done Saren. Anyone, really. Just not Mark Meer. It's nothing to do with the quality of his acting, and everything with the fact that I just really do not like how his voice sounds.
    Last edited by The Dude; April 02, 2012 at 02:55 PM.

Comes Domesticorum

I do think Kaiden is pretty cool. I prefer Jacob, but Kaiden's aite too.

_Elysium_'s Avatar Biarchus

FemShep has more balls than MalShep. Huge cast-iron cannonballs of spiky doom. MalShep is camp.

Over the trilogy, I've played a single playthrough as MalShep. That was a semi-complete run through ME2. What put me off MalShep completely was a scene on the Normandy, where Shepard crosses his/her arms, puts more weight on one leg then tilts their head.

When I saw FemShep do that, she was oozing attitude. It was like her body was saying "YOU DON'T **** WITH THIS (female dog)". With MalShep it was "Ooh! Hello sailor!".

I guess she was oozing attitude as well when she was almost dragging Jacob into bed whenever she talked to him? Yes, femShep has her incredibly bad moments as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pvt. Stavroforon View Post
    I prefer Jacob
    But...
    but...

FemShep just looks better, sounds better, feels better (to me), it's hard to give a definite explanation. It's one of those things that either is or isn't.

Hey Femshep, you're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind!

Sanguinary Guardian's Avatar Primicerius

Because when I see my character from behind all the time I prefer femShep's "DAT ARSE" than a dude's back.
    In short:

That said, my first playthrough was paragon BroShep while my second playthrough was the dudette, renegade.

H ΕΛΛΑΔΑ κι ο ΕΛΛΗΝΙΣΜΟΣ είναι αξίες ιερότερες από οποιαδήποτε ειρήνη!

Despite all we have lost so far, our fire still burns...

Quote Originally Posted by Tankfriend View Post
    This, pretty much.

There's the possibility to do it and see a completely different voice actor and some other plot differences in action, so why wouldn't you try to experience those? That's why I'm playing both male and female Shepard, and I can't see why some people seem so horrified by the idea of a male player playing a female character and vice-versa. Didn't know your gender dictates the way you have to play a game...
    because they see then selfs as Comander shepard.... lol i guess its ok
    But they are toons i usualy play fem and male shepard or toons in every game due to see diferent possibilities in story and game. That is the point of bioware games or RPGs in the first place, diferent variations etc.
    Besides I always liked to play a female elf in Dragon age origins and folow a love interest with leliana.. i mean nothing can beat that.

I think Mark Meer does a fine job doing the VO; I don't see how the woman that does the VO for FemShep is any better. In what way is male Shepard bland?
    Mark meer does a fine job with comander shepard but in my opinbion jennifer hale does a even better job with comander shepard. After playing both genders in the games i prefer female shepard and hales voice act. But thas my opinion and taste.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; April 02, 2012 at 05:08 PM.

I genuinely don't get it.
    Renegade Shep, man.

Paragon Shep, woman.
    Have you ever seen Dirty Harry Guns and money are best diplomacy
    "At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques."

Bill Shankly

"Not badly, considering I was seated between Jesus Christ and Napoleon"

David Lloyd George was pleased with his performance at Versailles.

Tribunus

Because the voice actor for the Male Shep sounds like an unbearable douche.

All the many failings and awkward pitfalls of Femshep aside, including any conversation with Jacob bar those that were (as far as I could tell) just unisex, I can actually tolerate that VO.

Katsumoto's Avatar Quae est infernum es
    took an arrow to the knee

^ How ironic.
    "I pray Heaven to bestow the best of blessings on this house and all that shall hereafter inhabit it. May none but honest and wise men ever rule under this roof."
    - John Adams, on the White House, in a letter to Abigail Adams (2 November 1800)

Tribunus

^ How ironic.
    I try.

The voice acting of the male shep is awful at least it is on ME1 especially compared to the female shep, I don't know about the other 2 games. Also when I first started playing ME I created a femshep just for a little fun, not expecting to continue it after the first hour. However the character I made looked and worked so well with the backgrounds she had and I love to add a more personal role play aspect to the game such as asking myself "Why would she say this instead of that" and "Why would she do that" answers would normally be because she was brought up this way or she didn't like that type of person etc.

After using that role play aspect to it and working really well and the fact that she looks really cool! I decided to make this the only Shepard I would play the game.

Also female renegades are far more fun to play when you've got some decent voice acting.

Eikki's Avatar Centenarius

I usually go with paragon soldier/engineer when playing as maleshep and renegade adept/vanguard with femshep. Mix it around a bit, I had 5 savegames from ME2 with 3 malesheps and 2 femsheps. Only imported and finished 1, because of that ending.

Danny_K_1's Avatar Praefectus

Never found a problem with MaleSheps voice acting, I think when Jennifer Hale got some critical acclaim people just jumped on the elitest bandwagon and went "THE VOICE ACTING IS BETTER". Don't get me wrong, I'm certain people genuinely feel this way but I feel for most people they're just saying because they want to stare at their femsheps ass and romance dudes or something.

It really does seem that more players play as femshep than maleshep - it boggles the mind.

For me the first conversations in ME1 really sealed the deal. My first shep was a dude. I loaded it up, then stood behind Joker in the cockpit.

"Great, you piss the captain off now I'm gonna pay for it."

I heard him say it and I was like, really? That's supposed to pass for voice acting? I played some more but it never got better.

Then I made a femshep say the same lines as my maleshep and I was sold. I believed Jennifer Hale. I never believed Meer.

Now Meer's acting did get better throughout the series, but that doesn't change anything about how his voice sounds. I would rather play with a nonvoiced protagonist like in KotOR than with Meer's nagging, whining voice for a full game.

Comes Domesticorum

I personally prefer Meer's voice to Hale's, but I don't think I'm going to be elitist about it.

If you prefer his voice you prefer it. I agree Hale sounds forced at times, particularly her angry lines. Her empathy is executed far better. But she's still the preferred choice to me.

Hopit's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Ishoss View Post
    Renegade Shep, man.

Paragon Shep, woman.
    the other way around

Quote Originally Posted by SgtScooter View Post
    If you went to the Skyrim forums you'll see a lot posts about how it's somehow been watered down and hampered by money men making the decisions. Fact is, it's a great game and people still complain. It's the same thing as the TW franchise.

Holger Danske's Avatar Comes Limitis

Because of godly good pixelated tits.

That always seemed like the oddest reason to me. For me personally I could care about my characters body anymore than I want my mailbox to be sexy.