Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: DoM Gameplay Mechanics and Features Overview (upd: 24/12/2013)

Default Re: The Official WIP Features Thread

Yeah, I need to thoroughly update the OP one of these days. I might also add some info on all the trait/anc-related mechanics I've been working on, I think there are bits and bytes of relevant info all over the forum now...

So many brilliant ideas and solutions!

The "invisible" provinces idea is excellent, and I'm sure it will increase the games quality a considerable amount. Are all mountains subject to this rule? The mountains surrounding Mordor come to mind.

It has always itked me, that capturing a city such as Duncrioch, I could build and upgrade every single building, making the settlement completely Gondorian, expect for the Chieftains Hall, which would forever be Dunlandish. It's a wooden shack! Seems to me you have found an elegant solution to such problems.

Overall it all sounds awesome. I wish I could help, alas I have no abilties when it comes to graphics.

Quote Originally Posted by Serech View Post
    The "invisible" provinces idea is excellent, and I'm sure it will increase the games quality a considerable amount. Are all mountains subject to this rule? The mountains surrounding Mordor come to mind.
    Misty and White Mts and the Mountains of Mordor are "invisible", yes. Other ranges like the Blue Mountains or the Mountains of Angmar are not, because they are contained entirely within the respective provinces and there are paths from the provinces on one side to those on the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Aradan View Post
    Our ridiculously ingenious and unique solution
    You said it perfectly. I’m impressed again.

Beorn's Avatar Praepositus

Nice Job Aradan, Jar & Co. Where's the download link now?

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Last edited by Aradan; June 11, 2013 at 10:37 AM.

We are withholding it of course, until the bribes donations start rolling. Duh...

Edited/updated a few entries in the OP. More to come, when I get around describing the VnV system.

OP updated with the following:

Income Balance

The formulas that RTW uses to calculate tax, trade and mining income have been deciphered and a new system has been created for DoM based on this knowledge and a bit of statistics. Trade resources have been carefully priced and placed on the map, trade-related building effects have been calibrated and appropriate universal effects implemented, in order to achieve our desired balance between tax-, sea trade-, land-trade-, and land-generated income. All campaign costs, from nobles' wages to construction costs and army upkeep are tailored to the new income levels to make sure factions neither swim in money nor suffer from perpetual debt.

What about the deserts in the south? Will any of them be "invisible" territories and or un-traversable terrain? After all, taking a full army, or just a part of it, into an uncharted desert would be insanity.

So far all desert is 'regular', because the settlement density and positions in the area are such that don't need it much, plus it's very close to the end of the map (whereas with Forodwaith we wanted to prevent the player from getting his armies north of the Ered Mithrin and going from Rhun to Eriador bypassing all Wilderland).

However, we could do something like this, if players feel it adds to the game.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

It certainly helps the AI navigate and the game does take these inaccessible areas into consideration when determining defensive positions and choke points. But we don't want to limit the player's freedom too much by connecting settlement with artificial narrow corridors. Newer TW games (Shogun2 and Rome2) do this way too much, in order to help the useless AI with pathfinding, and they look ridiculous with everything being dense forests, mountains and cliffs. At least our approach is invisible to the eye. FATW: 1 - CA: 0. And given that FATW's engine is 10 years older than R2TW, FATW: 11 - CA: 0...
    Last edited by Aradan; June 19, 2013 at 03:13 PM.

Basileos Predator's Avatar Campidoctor

You know, that feature would be somehow realistic, as, through deserts, only certain routes were passable, as they were the only points werre water could be found, so that''s were armies would go through, in order to survive their endevur.
    Furthermmore, this could be imoroved with 1 aditional sideroute, like a bypass, a bit longer , but with the destination.

FATW is 100 times better that CA, and, if you could mod the RII engine, you'd make miracles and actually make the game worth while.

Looks quite stunning, as always

Senator

DAMNI IT! I'm always a sucker for looking at how the trade in early TW games work, and now you've made it even more interesting....My Lets Plays are going to suck now, half the episode will be calculating my tax collection and trade route values! Damn you Aradan!!!!!!

What can I say, we aim to please and frustrate!

What can I say, we aim to please and frustrate!
    That's a way to do it.

Senator

It sounds like a slogan for a sort of kinky dungeon in downtown Amsterdam...

The only issue is that DOM will actually rock, and "dwarf" all other mods.It will be the best thing that ever happend for the RTW comunity.(at least for my part)

Blatta Optima Maxima's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Free Democratic People's Republic of Latvia

Quote Originally Posted by Lortano View Post
    It sounds like a slogan for a sort of kinky dungeon in downtown Amsterdam...
    Of course, that's where they keep Eorl.

Yeah, he's got a full team of skinners doing all those fine units for him in the basement

OP updated with the following:
    Fascinating. You've really cracked so much of the inner depths of the RTW engine. Well done.

Would you be prepared to share any of your insights?

Under patronage of Spirit of Rob; Patron of Century X, Pacco, Cherryfunk, Leif Erikson.

Yes. I'm already preparing a thread detailing every discovery and unique mechanic used in DoM, which is to be made public when we release, but obviously if you'd like to know something before that time, feel free to PM me.