Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: DoM Gameplay Mechanics and Features Overview (upd: 24/12/2013)

Default Re: DoM Gameplay Mechanics and Features Overview (upd: 24/12/2013)

ah ok, I have got some kinds of mercenaries from Beornings.
    there its really strange to move along the rivers. the passes through the river are near beorning or Dale Cities. And they are not amused^^

I just conquered an orcish settlement (Gundabad).
    I think I have to kill all?
    I can not takeover this settlement. population growth is -100%.
    So if I will let them alive, they will disappear at the next turn.

but - a funny fact, like at all other conquers - I can make the inhabitant to slaves and provide them to all the elvish provinces. so orcs make an evolution to elves.
    but so I can increase the population. but then they are not happy about and I need again the governors or other guards. I use only the generals/governors for fighting mainly. they dont need to be healed by me

greetings from Germany

Quote Originally Posted by tomjones99 View Post
    ah ok, I have got some kinds of mercenaries from Beornings.
    there its really strange to move along the rivers. the passes through the river are near beorning or Dale Cities. And they are not amused^^
    Yeah, FATW has more choke points than Starcraft 2. You gotta move very carefully and methodically.

but - a funny fact, like at all other conquers - I can make the inhabitant to slaves and provide them to all the elvish provinces. so orcs make an evolution to elves.
    but so I can increase the population.
    Yeah, that's technically an exploit there, but then again it's technically not a cheat ^^

but then they are not happy about and I need again the governors or other guards.
    Doesn't matter. Settlements held by Elves or Dwarves don't rebel. Theoretically, you could leave them with no garrison, but that'd mean risking the settlement to be occupied by another faction. That's where the cheap mercenaries come in handy. Not only can they serve as meatshields, but also as garrison forces.

Orkish settlements (which are really more like permanent forts, due to their very limited building options) have very low population growth - even negative growth - for most factions. You are unlikely to have more than a few hundred able-bodied folk living there. While you can't recruit anything there (unless you are a Cultic faction), you can use such places to retrain mercenaries. They are mostly useful for controlling those choke points on the map.
    One of the most sophisticated Total War modders ever developed...

What about those forts up North along the edge of the map? Flair?

They're so you've something to do as the Dwarves, before you've enough super-soldiers to subjugate man-kind.

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Some of them provide a connection to Gundabad that doesn't require having to travel through Barding or Elven lands. (This might not be in the open beta release)

Quote Originally Posted by webba84 View Post
    Some of them provide a connection to Gundabad that doesn't require having to travel through Barding or Elven lands. (This might not be in the open beta release)
    Northguard Fort does (in the beta), but it'd be gread if the "Outpost of Ered Mithrin" did, too. Right now, the latter and Tharngarth Hold are pretty much the most useless provinces on the map.

how does this connection work? like an underground?

Another question. How I can give a province to another faction? the Beorns attacks me now, because I have conquered 3 provinces between Galadrim and ex-dol guldur (I dont kept in mind the name now). To make them allies, I would give one or two as a gift. I have tried for money, but no one wants believe my words also not the dwarves.

and I was surprised. I could not go on ships...only at a heaven. but to jump out everywhere is possible?

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Mithrin Outpost is indeed the one I am referring to. IIRC making the border between it and Gundabad passable was something we did shortly after open beta release. (Thank you beta testers!)

Quote Originally Posted by tomjones99 View Post
    how does this connection work? like an underground?

Another question. How I can give a province to another faction? the Beorns attacks me now, because I have conquered 3 provinces between Galadrim and ex-dol guldur (I dont kept in mind the name now). To make them allies, I would give one or two as a gift. I have tried for money, but no one wants believe my words also not the dwarves.

and I was surprised. I could not go on ships...only at a heaven. but to jump out everywhere is possible?
    The connections are just passes through the mountains.

You can make use of the 'force diplomacy' script that is included in the mod. I haven't used it myself, but I know it involves using the advisor button somehow. What happens is, the next diplomatic offer you make will be accepted by the AI, and a random amount of gold will be removed from your treasury.

Yes, you can disembark anywhere, but boarding ships requires that your ship is in a haven. The idea is to somewhat simulate the logistics required to organize an army getting on board a ship (and to prevent the player of RK from steamrolling down the Haradrian coastline). I can't remember if that feature is going to be in the final release or not.

Would hope it stays through to release, strategic disembarking that is; it adds another step into immersion, and it never hurts to handicap the player in RTW. The AI doesn't seem to mind it at all, there's a little red army landed just down the coast from Dol Amroth 'bout every other turn.

While we're on the subject though, navies, particularly admirals, are being somewhat mishandled. Currently whenever a naval unit is spawned without a fleet already in the harbour, it automatically gets a new ancillary ("Navigator" or some such); this buggers the AI, as two fleets can't be merged when they've both ranking-admirals (as in the both have any sort of traits/ancilarries). Play as the RK, and allow Harad to control the seas uncontested. Sometime after FO 380 there's going to be a swarm of two-ship fleets sitting off your coasts, like so many annoying little bugs.

The best solution seems to be to edit the triggers slightly, so that admiral only get their ancillary after their first victory. Like most fixes, rather simple, though likely time consuming.

There was a discussion about this here: http://tinyurl.com/o9jd349 methinks this problem (back from 2011..!) was fixed, but then repeated when new admiral traits were coded at some point.

It doesn't bear repeating that the Dev' team is bogged down, and this is far from a priority. I'm looking at this right now, and there's a half dozen or so ancillaries that need slight editing. Will be playing with this anyhow, seems a decent way to kill a Sunday, and if the Dev's are interested, will gladly share any positive results.

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

I'm currently redoing the ancs (someone else is doing the traits). One of my "rules" is to keep them generally hard to get. I am aware of the issues you point out.

As per the release notes, both traits and ancs in the open beta (and still in the current internal beta) are WIP.

Suggestions welcome.
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

Quote Originally Posted by CountMRVHS View Post

You can make use of the 'force diplomacy' script that is included in the mod. I haven't used it myself, but I know it involves using the advisor button somehow. What happens is, the next diplomatic offer you make will be accepted by the AI, and a random amount of gold will be removed from your treasury.

Press the tilde (~) key and enter these codes:
    Forces opponent to accept diplomatic proposalforce_diplomacy <accept/decline/off>

that you dont mean, right?

As always, you're two steps ahead.

Seems likely you've considered this already, but a copper for thoughts on traits and ancs is not to overlook the negative sides. EB (maybe vanilla too) had these great ancs 'Drunken Uncle' and 'Evil Mother-in-Law', and I can't think of anything that has made me empathize with an FM more since, even if the witch hurt his management. It doesn't take much imagination to flip many of the positive aspects as well. Surgeons have traditionally been a boon; maybe add a chance for a sawbones who'd rather off the limb, seal it with pitch, and keep the disinfectant/rotgut for himself.

webba84's Avatar Artifex

To use the force diplomacy -
    1. On the diplomacy screen click on the question mark button near the top right.
    2. The advisor will pop up at the very top left of the screen
    3. Click on the show me how button that comes with it
    4. whatever you next propose will be accepted by the ai and a small fee will be deducted from your funds.

Will definitely have traits and ancs with some negative effects

Quote Originally Posted by webba84 View Post
    To use the force diplomacy -
    1. On the diplomacy screen click on the question mark button near the top right.
    2. The advisor will pop up at the very top left of the screen
    3. Click on the show me how button that comes with it
    4. whatever you next propose will be accepted by the ai and a small fee will be deducted from your funds.

Will definitely have traits and ancs with some negative effects

great!
    but this does not works at the standard games? any other mods?

ok, now we are in a question time.

how does work this land tax ?
    and this charters environments? they increase the output of the ressource?

Land tax represents royal rents - money collected from wealthy landholders, as I understand it. Whereas income tax can be set at different levels and interacts with population growth, land tax is fixed and largely independent of population.

You probably see land tax mentioned most often on certain building descriptions, sometimes with *both* a + and - in front of a number. In these cases, the land tax would be modified (negatively) by that amount after the building is built. This represents upkeep or maintenance costs required to keep the building or development running. In gameplay terms, this encourages specialization, since you don't really want to build every possible building in every possible settlement due to this drain on finances.

There are some buildings (farms mostly) that add to land tax by increasing the value of the land in the province itself.

Charters don't do anything by themselves except allow you to build a certain Industry building in that province. In DoM, every trade resource on the map is also associated with a special group of buildings called Industry buildings. So if you have horses in a province, you can build Horsebreeders to increase trade. If you have timber, you can make buildings that decrease the cost of constructing buildings in that province - and eventually everywhere in your realm. In some provinces, you have several different types of resources to choose from, so you have to decide whether to build, say, a Construction Charter (for exploiting timber, stone, or iron) or an Animal Husbandry and Fishing Charter (for exploiting livestock and fish). But before you can get those benefits, you have to first build a Charter and then the relevant Industry building.

Check the building descriptions and the building browsers for more details. I've tried to write the building descriptions in such a way that you can pretty much figure out what you're getting if you read it carefully.

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

Although we have tweaked things - including text - to make things easier (both by way of explanation and economy) since the open-beta was released. Lots of good stuff to look forward to in the full release
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

That's right - I keep forgetting the updates!

thank you for this explanations. I had read the descriptions at the charters. But was not sure if I have understand it correctly.

real amazing what is possible to modify in such old game engine (RTW1)

but again a question.
    this blue flags at some cities. what is this?