Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: DoM Gameplay Mechanics and Features Overview (upd: 24/12/2013)

Default Re: DoM Gameplay Mechanics and Features Overview (upd: 24/12/2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Aradan View Post
    The feature was mainly disabled in order to make the 'proper' hording ability of the eastern factions more special and distinct. Apart from that, hordes are spawned with 0-exp units, while units recruited normally by factions start with exp (+6 atm) already assigned, which means the hordes are quite weaker than they should be (we can always give their commanders stat bonuses through traits, but it's not the same).
    You are right of course. It reflects situation accurately for the "standard horde" since they are supposed to be people that have picked up arms out of need to defend themselves until they find a new home and settle.

Remnants of a defeated army i.e. seasoned warriors and "freedom fighters"? Not really…

Quote Originally Posted by Ryoga84 View Post
    A quick question: in the next version, can be still included DoM, as a Provincial Campaign?
    DoM is the the next version. Sorry, your question is quite incomprehensible to me. Could you please reformulate?

EDIT:

Did you meant could they include The New Shadow as a provincial campaign in the DoM? I honestly don’t see the point since you can have both. Folder name will be changed, so DoM will not overwrite TNS.
    Last edited by Jagmodo; July 28, 2014 at 02:39 PM.

I guess the question will we be able to play TNS in DOM as a provincial campaign. I'd guess the answer is no but I'm no authority

Ryoga84's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Jagmodo View Post
    DoM is the the next version. Sorry, your question is quite incomprehensible to me. Could you please reformulate?

EDIT:

Did you meant could they include The New Shadow as a provincial campaign in the DoM? I honestly don’t see the point since you can have both. Folder name will be changed, so DoM will not overwrite TNS.
    Sorry, my fault

The correct question was "in the next version (DoM), can be still included this version (TNS), as a Provincial Campaign?"

I was thinkin it was easiest releasing it as a provincial campaign in the new version than keeping alive two different installers
    (by the way, I'm waiting for the new release, but The New Shadow has its own great flavour, without longbeards and pointy ears )
    Last edited by Aradan; July 29, 2014 at 03:37 AM.
    ====== "Worst English User" 2012/2014 Award Winner =======
    ===========Running for the 2015, support me.===========
    Uchronia Barbarorum v1.05 , ahistorical submod for Europa Barbarorum 1.2 WiP
    Another Story: The Greek Wars v1.0 , submod for The Greek Wars 1.1 WiP
    4th Age +1, v1.0 , submod for Fourth Age: Total War 2.6 WiP

Having earlier releases as provincial campaigns is something we have considered, but only after the first release.
    Last edited by Aradan; July 31, 2014 at 06:37 AM.

Ryoga84's Avatar Biarchus

Ok, thanks
    ====== "Worst English User" 2012/2014 Award Winner =======
    ===========Running for the 2015, support me.===========
    Uchronia Barbarorum v1.05 , ahistorical submod for Europa Barbarorum 1.2 WiP
    Another Story: The Greek Wars v1.0 , submod for The Greek Wars 1.1 WiP
    4th Age +1, v1.0 , submod for Fourth Age: Total War 2.6 WiP

I just reinstalled FATW after a year or so. I was just clicking around to revive good memories and few things crossed my mind:

-I noticed that in TNS Arnach is managed by faction member from the house of Telcontar. Will you maybe for the DoM make local lord descend from the house of Forlong the Fat?

-Aragorn Elessar at the beginning of his reign decreed that no man should enter Shire. It actually looks to me that he made them disservice because that would really badly reflect on the trade. Man can’t enter and majority of Hobbits are reluctant to go out. Ideal grounds for smuggling… Anyway, will his decision be reflected in the game? Will Hobbits and RK share trade rights at the beginning of the campaign?
    Last edited by Jagmodo; August 07, 2014 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Not anymore wrong thread, or I hope so...

Quote Originally Posted by Jagmodo View Post
    I noticed that in TNS Arnach is managed by faction member from the house of Telcontar. Will you maybe for the DoM make local lord descend from the house of Forlong the Fat?
    Yeah I agree with this. It is the same with the second son of Cemendur who is the lord of Lamedon, it just doesn't seem right imo. Maybe cutting down on family members of the House of Telcontar in favour of more local lords is preferable?

Basileos Predator's Avatar Campidoctor

^^^ Or keeping the family members of the house of Telcontar and adding the local lords(after all RK is much bigger in DOM).Just an idea.

No worries, provinces will get lords of appropriate houses, we have a whole new bunch of them, for all factions.

Quote Originally Posted by Basileos Predator View Post
    ^^^ Or keeping the family members of the house of Telcontar and adding the local lords(after all RK is much bigger in DOM).Just an idea.
    Yeah I guess some of the family members of the House of Telcontar could be transported to the northern provinces both for the RK and Adunabar.

The house traits in TNS were limited only to a few per faction, and since FMs need to be connected to the leader in order to show up in the family tree, most FMs had to belong to the royal house as well and have the relevant trait. Things are different in DoM, much much more fleshed out.

great mod, nice units.

just a question about the dwarves units. I miss there hitpoints x 2 or x3.

if someone like, he can please check elves vs. dwarves units at circa the same units. almost same prices, almost same men, almost same attack or def. points ... but the elves have all 2 hitpoints. such a dwarf is a tough being - I hope.
    Sometimes I play custom battles to find out good units. so I have played dwarves against elves and elves against dwarves. both sides with same money. elves crushes dwarves total easily at all difficults.

If this is a wanted feature - please ignore

Thanks for playing & posting

One thing to keep in mind is that custom battles should be played with all units at 3 experience, since that is sort of the default xp level of the mod.

I haven't tried an Elf vs Dwarf battle myself. It doesn't surprise me that the Elves win such battles, since Elves have greater ranged troops (with armor piercing arrows IIRC) and Dwarves move slowly on the battlefield, so the Elven archers can get many shots in.

Generally speaking, lorewise Elves should probably be superior troops to Dwarves, all other things being equal.

In most campaigns, battles between Elves and Dwarves are unlikely to occur (unless the player of the Elves really wishes to attack the Dwarves or vice versa), since those factions are passive when controlled by the AI. That is, they will not attack unless you trespass on their lands. In terms of the lore, I can think of only one case where there was anything like a "battle" between Elves and Dwarves - in the Silmarillion, after the Dwarves of Nogrod(?) had killed Thingol and stolen back the Nauglamir. On their way back to their mountains, they were ambushed IIRC and wiped out - although Ents had a hand in that.

However, if you want to play as the Dwarves and beat the Elves, I would probably recommend using Wain Bows and Catapults. Nothing like good Dwarven craftsmanship
    Last edited by CountMRVHS; August 14, 2015 at 10:33 AM.
    One of the most sophisticated Total War modders ever developed...

thank you.
    sure, normally they should not fight to each other.

The battles I have tried, were mainly without missile units.
    the reason is, to check the dwarvish faction units. I have played the dwarves in 3rd Age Total War Mod. there the most units have 2 x hitpoints, some have 3. but the elves declares war on me. first the mirkwood ones. with them all others. they were the hardest enemy units for my dwarves

Today I have started a campaign with the elves. in the first time it is almost not possible to recruit elvish troops. the population is everywhere negative with normal tax. or 0 with low taxes. except the capital. So I will check the dwarves too, if they have a better population. if yes, the balance is fine for me

at conquered villages of men, do I have there better population growth with the elverlings?

Quote Originally Posted by tomjones99 View Post
    at conquered villages of men, do I have there better population growth with the elverlings?
    Eventually, yes. You might need to recruit some mercenaries (Eriador bowmen mercs, for example, are really cheap and quite effective) in addition to the Elvellyn, especially in the early campaign, since building up takes a while. One human settlement that is great to take for either Elves or Dwarves is Lune, because it's wedged between a Dwarf province and an Elven one. Nobody will attack you there, so it's safe to develop Elvellyn settlements in that place.

Athanaric is right - and yes, you will find that the Dwarves have better population growth in the campaign than the Elves do.

thanks, sounds plausible for the balance

Eriador bowmen mercs <--- where to find?

Eriador

More specifically, look in provinces north of the river Greyflood (Tharbad's main river). IIRC you can find them around such towns as Sarnford, Threeways, Bree, Lastbridge, Fornost, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by CountMRVHS View Post
    Eriador

More specifically, look in provinces north of the river Greyflood (Tharbad's main river). IIRC you can find them around such towns as Sarnford, Threeways, Bree, Lastbridge, Fornost, etc.
    Yep, north of Tharbad they're I believe the only mercs you can recruit. I was a bit disappointed with that, I was hoping for some native light cavalry to bolster my Tharbadian forces.

BTW, is Aradan still working on mod? He's quiet for an awfull while.