Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: DoM Gameplay Mechanics and Features Overview (upd: 24/12/2013)

Default Re: The Official WIP Features Thread

Offropic, but I'm curious: what did TWC do?

I know I'm writing this at TWC, but I wasn't paying attention.

Spike's Avatar Primicerius

Epic, simply Epic, cannot wait to play... cannot wait to play...

Annokerate Koriospera Yuinete Kuliansa

Great ideas but IMO there's the danger of "putting history on rails" involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Aradan View Post
    AI Destroys/Chooses buildings

The AI can destroy buildings it cannot use, as soon as a province is stabilised (the official settlement 'culture' is either non-existant or is a majority in a settlement). No more handicapped AI that leaves your buildings in tact for you to find when you retake a lost province. Lose a settlement to the AI, and when you take it back you'll have to spend a fair amount of time and money re-building your military infrastructure or establishing your provincial control from scratch. The AI will can make specific choices in specific provinces when it comes to multiple upgrade options; for example, it can be set to always build a Mumakil Pen in Achas Annabon mor a Financial Policy in Esgaroth, etc.
    Does AI destroying stuff also include unique features or economy buildings? The main reason why I stopped playing TATW was because the AI factions would randomly destroy unique buildings/wonders upon conquest, not only military stuff. Apart from that "jihad on Edoras" thingy.

Thangaror's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    C'mon, they believed what "happened" to TWC, which was the worst-made-prank-ever
    Explain yourself, sir! I didn't notice something odd.
    I would rather have a memory that is fair but unfinished than one that goes on to a grievous end.

This is simply fantastic! All these new features - together with Eorl's new battle map environments, the reworked (and larger map), all the new factions and the beautiful units - will make DoM a truly exceptional and epic mod, no question. It's great to see especially the strategic aspect of FATW being enhanced so much. I can't wait to get my hands on this one!

I could quote each single feature and say how much I like it, but I don't wan't to bore everyone, so I'll just ask on or two questions (or make a short comment here or there)...

It's been a while since our last update and people have been asking for a 'mechanics preview',
    Me being one of the culprits. Thanks a lot, Aradan! This thread is highly appreciated.

Empire Maintenance Costs

Each province held by a faction increases the faction's 'empire maintenance cost' by a different amount, depending on whether it is a homeland, fiefdom or outland. The maintenance cost is deducted from each province's tax income. The more provinces a faction controls, the higher the maintenance cost, so the less money an each individual province makes.
    Could you please clarifiy for me, if the EM costs will be linear (ie. homeland, fiefdom or outland provinces allways 'cost' a fixed amount regardless if you have eg. 3 or 20 provinces) or exponantial (ie. the individual province cost isn't fixed, but increases steadily the more provinces you conquer)? It's sounds like it will be exponential, but maybe I'm misreading you there.
    In general I think this is a good idea, to make the late game more challenging for the player once he/she is on the way to establishing a large empire.

Auto-resolve Balance

The system, that was also present in TNS, changes the auto-resolve performance of units without affecting their behaviour on their battlemap. Since the majority of the battles in a campaign (AI vs AI) are auto-resolved, it's hugely important that the mechanic is not skewed. No more multi-HP units trumping everything, or severely underpowered cavalry/missile units, which means auto-resolve battles have much more accurate results.
    Great to see you are working on all aspects of the game. As I tend to auto-resolve non-important battles once the campaign advances and battles are more frequent, I totally apprecitate your efforts on this matter.

Population Control

Population growth rates and limits have been balanced and are much more controlled now. Settlements will not get population booms that result in over-population and unrest (unless they have orkish infestations), but will instead grow relatively slowly. Negative growth is now also a possibility, especially during transitional periods when the new owners assert their dominance over a province, or when a mannish faction occupies a non-mannish province.
    With what unit sizes will DoM be playable - without messing up the overall balance? As I suppose there won't be a script, and especially one that replenishes lost population due to recruitment for the AI.

Landmark Markers
    What a nice treat, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by athanaric View Post
    Great ideas but IMO there's the danger of "putting history on rails" involved.
    Not sure what this means. Is it related to the point below?

Does AI destroying stuff also include unique features or economy buildings? The main reason why I stopped playing TATW was because the AI factions would randomly destroy unique buildings/wonders upon conquest, not only military stuff. Apart from that "jihad on Edoras" thingy.
    Good Sir, you underestimate the awesomeness of DoM. The AI will destroy what we want it to destroy. If we want a certain faction to destroy a certain building or another faction to not destroy a different one, it can be done. So, for example, we can make Rhun destroy the 'Court of the Fountain', but make Harad not destroy the 'Chamber of Records'.
    As a rule factions have been set to not destroy any buildings they can get a bonus from and destroy the ones that give them none. For example, Barbarians don't get bonuses from libraries and gardens (they have their chopping blocks instead), so they will destroy such buildings, but buildings like markets, ports, taverns, etc that give bonuses to everyone will be left in tact by the AI. Rebels tend to be more destructive.

As for TATW, I believe their problem is caused by the way they have coded certain buildings, it's easily solvable if they know how.

Good Sir, you underestimate the awesomeness o DoM
    Ow man i feel all wet now

im super curious about the "emergent" faction and its hoarding behavior, i can almost see myself handling 2 front wars against other faction and out of the blue these horde moves in the middle of my territoriy. its going to be the perfect storm.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Tactician View Post
    Could you please clarifiy for me, if the EM costs will be linear (ie. homeland, fiefdom or outland provinces allways 'cost' a fixed amount regardless if you have eg. 3 or 20 provinces) or exponantial (ie. the individual province cost isn't fixed, but increases steadily the more provinces you conquer)? It's sounds like it will be exponential, but maybe I'm misreading you there.
    In general I think this is a good idea, to make the late game more challenging for the player once he/she is on the way to establishing a large empire.
    An outland contributes more to the cost than a fiefdom, and a fiefdom more than a homeland, so owning 10 homelands provinces is 'cheaper' to maintain than owning 10 outlands. But an outland always costs the same as any other outland. Makes sense?

I might also make the cost of provincial control increase as you get more provinces, testing on that is pending.

With what unit sizes will DoM be playable - without messing up the overall balance? As I suppose there won't be a script, and especially one that replenishes lost population due to recruitment for the AI.
    I'll balance for large - the AI gets a pop growth bonus to help it deal with population draining.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulrich Liechtenstein View Post
    im super curious about the "emergent" faction and its hoarding behavior, i can almost see myself handling 2 front wars against other faction and out of the blue these horde moves in the middle of my territoriy. its going to be the perfect storm.
    The emergent faction isn't very... menacing, in that it is always spawned near its target (so that it will conquer it fast). If you're the owner of the target, it will be tough-ish to fend them off (unfortunately we can't control how many armies are spawned).

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

To answer everyone's question as to what "happened" (without getting off topic enough to anger the admin), the current owner of the site staged (with the help of some admins and other higher ups, I believe) a conspiracy as to how he managed to get the votes to allow him to purchase the site, with everyone else being "angry" and such. It started off okay but it quickly unraveled when a certain member, Hobbes I believe, revealed that it was a prank.

(now I will get back on topic)

Any screens?
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Screens of what?

Any rough guesses as to when the release might occur? Might it occur this year, or do we have to wait until 2013 and hope the Mayan prediction don't pan out?
    "Oh no! Uzbeks have drunk my battery fluid!"

Wow, amazing work

Quote Originally Posted by Ajidica View Post
    Any rough guesses as to when the release might occur? Might it occur this year, or do we have to wait until 2013 and hope the Mayan prediction don't pan out?
    This year, unless sth terrible happens...

This year, unless sth terrible happens...
    Something terrible, like the Mayan Apocalypse?
    "Oh no! Uzbeks have drunk my battery fluid!"

Pfft, as if an apocalypse would stop us...

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Screens of what?
    It's the generic thing to ask for next...I was joking
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Not sure what this means. Is it related to the point below?
    Partly, yes. I mean a condition that tends to affect games which focus heavily on historical (or lore) accuracy, which sometimes causes them to prevent the player from making logical choices.

Good Sir, you underestimate the awesomeness of DoM. The AI will destroy what we want it to destroy. If we want a certain faction to destroy a certain building or another faction to not destroy a different one, it can be done. So, for example, we can make Rhun destroy the 'Court of the Fountain', but make Harad not destroy the 'Chamber of Records'.
    As a rule factions have been set to not destroy any buildings they can get a bonus from and destroy the ones that give them none. For example, Barbarians don't get bonuses from libraries and gardens (they have their chopping blocks instead), so they will destroy such buildings, but buildings like markets, ports, taverns, etc that give bonuses to everyone will be left in tact by the AI. Rebels tend to be more destructive.
    That sounds reasonable. Have you managed to fix the taverns, which (at least in EB; haven't played many RTW mods lately) always seem to turn FMs into useless drunkards?

As for TATW, I believe their problem is caused by the way they have coded certain buildings, it's easily solvable if they know how.
    Ah I was fearing for EB II to have similar problems, but if it's not a hardcoded thing, I guess it can be avoided. Good to know in any case.

Quote Originally Posted by Gen. Chris View Post
    It's the generic thing to ask for next...I was joking

Quote Originally Posted by athanaric View Post
    Partly, yes. I mean a condition that tends to affect games which focus heavily on historical (or lore) accuracy, which sometimes causes them to prevent the player from making logical choices.
    As you can see there is little that is 'fixed' here, even the permanent alliances or the alliance restrictions are non-binding for the player.

That sounds reasonable. Have you managed to fix the taverns, which (at least in EB; haven't played many RTW mods lately) always seem to turn FMs into useless drunkards?
    I haven't done much about traits yet, but some stupid triggers (eg governor builds sth that's not a farm and gets a 'Bad farmer' trait) will be gone, the drunkard one among them.
    Last edited by Aradan; April 03, 2012 at 11:56 AM.

i have a question in this one will i be able to make the rangers hold\

when will ikt be released
    Last edited by Aradan; April 08, 2012 at 04:14 AM.

Yes.

It's done when it's done.