Thread: Imagawa in Hizen (Kyushu isl.) province: is it historical?

Default Imagawa in Hizen (Kyushu isl.) province: is it historical?

Maybe someone asked self about that?

I found no confirmation.

Default Re: Imagawa in Hizen (Kyushu isl.) province: is it historical?

As far as I know it's not historical. CA did have some historic basis for putting the imagawa in Hizen, but also from a gameplay perspective it creates a split faction. I'm not sure if the Takeda (the other split faction) in western Honshu are historical either. If you have the warlord edition or mongol invasion - the "dated" campaigns are more historical, but have many more ronin provinces as a result.

I have also wondered about this. Maybe it has to do with gameplay reasons.
    But why have they created two splitted factions? How does it aid gameplay? It makes these factions only weaker especially when controlled by the AI I think.

To find out the true answer you'd have to ask those who designed the game 12 years ago...

In my opinion it was probably for gameplay reasons. The split factions are quite challenging to play as. If you can hold your small empire together and then eventually link up, it can be very rewarding and breaks up the usual left to right or right to left mode of conquest.

In the case of Imagawa it's easier to quickly overrun the Shimazu and secure Kyushu (2 choke points). The problem with this strategy is that you're already in the best farmland so you're expending resources in claiming and holding relatively low value territory. Expanding in eastern Honshu (i.e. towards Musashi before taking Shinano to establish a 3 province stronghold) makes a lot more sense, but Imagawa's territory in that region is hotly contested and it's not uncommon to be defending provinces like Totomi and Mikawa several seasons in a row - you get considerable more peace in Kyushu but are isolated from the main concentration of clans and will most likely end up having to deal with a sizeable "horde" later in the campaign.

Thank you.

This thread's become interesting and filled with precious thoughts of ''veterans''.

In my case, Hizen saved my campaign on 1530/Expert/100 unit size -> final victory.
    My Central provinces vere overrun.

I also found it is unhistorical (As far as I know). One man of Imagawa clan tried to get a foothold on Kyushu isl., but that was earlier and only temporary.

Regards.