Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Steampunk/Samurai UPDATED August 17 (with LINK, check OP/got eye candy pics inside as well)

Erwin Rommel's Avatar EYE-PATCH FETISH

Default Re: World War I and Shogun II .... a mod idea (got eye candy pics inside)

Quote Originally Posted by Taraphir View Post
    What about the campaign map? You would certainly require the ability to change it for such a project.
    At present the campaign map can´t be altered but research about this matter is proceeding:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...9#post11248549
    Now why would I want to change the campaign map if this mod features samurai?

(Its clickable by the way....An S2 overhaul mod.)

Seriously. Click it. Its the only overhaul mod that's overhauling enough to bring out NEW clans
    Masaie. Retainer of Akaie|AntonIII

Indefinitely Banned
    The western part of an Island They thought a kind of Coffee...

Default Re: World War I and Shogun II .... a mod idea (got eye candy pics inside)

Quote Originally Posted by Erwin Rommel View Post
    Now why would I want to change the campaign map if this mod features samurai?
    Aw cmon, he's being supportive...
    Isn't we all dream of warscape campaign map modding?

Wait...if they could...they wouldnt make this mod...they'll rather make...*GASP* The ACW...
    Last edited by weirdoascensor; March 31, 2012 at 11:12 AM.

Default Re: World War I and Shogun II ....(got eye candy pics inside)

No.

Overhaul. Think elaborate, like Japan opened its doors only in 1914 or something, and besides, its a good excuse for me to pitch in a mod idea of samurai wielding rifles instead of matchlocks.
    The only bad thing about this thread is that I have to wait for the mod.
    Forward, march!

The only way i can contribute in making this one a reality is to keep the idea fresh and exciting till someone is enamored enough to pick it up and make it his next mod project. Since as for me, I have zero ability of tinkering files. My attempt to disable camera shake forever eludes me. :surprisse:

Seriously. Click it. Its the only overhaul mod that's overhauling enough to bring out NEW clans

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

Right so you've notice the WWI is being thrown around more recently as a nifty mod, citing that with all this FOTS features, it just might be possible, not to mention the brodie jingasa, the rifles, the smoke, the bombardments.

But it will never come to that solely coz the campaign map can never be changed. So some pine there hopes in the WWI being the next contender for the next TW.

But I say. You guys are not thinking creatively enough.

COMBINE SAMURAI AND WORLD WAR I!

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Concept art by Greg Broadmore.

They looked like Romans for a second there.

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

Im trying!

How could tanks be implemented?

Could the TGW team's tanks be used in FotS?
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

Quote Originally Posted by ♘Top Hat Zebra View Post
    Im trying!

How could tanks be implemented?

Could the TGW team's tanks be used in FotS?
    You'd probably have to ask them.

Then again, unless I missed something they removed deployables in FOTS right?
    Forward, march!

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Death_Sheep View Post
    You'd probably have to ask them.

Then again, unless I missed something they removed deployables in FOTS right?

Hmm. You have a point.

I wonder if they could be put back. I mean, they were in Shogun, so...

Actually, that would be a pretty cool mod just by itself.

Naval mines would be awesome in FotS.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

The Holy Pilgrim's Avatar In Memory of Blackomur
    Citizen

Hey guys, friendly warning here:

Keep this thread on topic. I don't want to close this thread, but if it derails like this again, I will have to.

Thank you,
    The Holy Pilgrim

Btw, moved to the Mods Thread
    Last edited by The Holy Pilgrim; March 31, 2012 at 07:54 PM.

Very exciting idea! Makes me want to mod again
    Don't smoke the seed

37 deleted posts. What did I miss?

Anyway on topic. We'll need to drum up more attention for this cause. World War I samurai is a cause worth fighting for! The first alternative steampunk something scenario of FOTS, and of Total War!

Indefinitely Banned
    The western part of an Island They thought a kind of Coffee...

Rommel, you should use the Marketing Skills of yours to give some modder who has the guts for an Overhaul an offer...
    The Campaign shouldnt be too complex...
    Wont get able to mod Tanks and Artillery soon though... not to mention Ships...they all need model converters; but for infantry just need a skinner...

And oh, you all maybe want to see this:
    http://www.gettysburgarmoredwarfare.com/media.html

I've seen it. IMHO, I really really really they just lost a major opportunity with this one. The overall concept is awesome, buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut once you zoom in, even the unit looks awful. Not really steampunk other than a token brass fixture on clearly modern weapons.

Anyway for this one, the only way is to think big and elaborate IN the campaign background story, to suck the people in to this alternative setting. As for the in-game, try to change everything within the game, but ofcourse within the game limits, but doing so, so elegantly that it creates an impression thats its news. Like Sekigahara. .

Brodie helmet with samurai armor guys, SHAGUMA with samurai armor guys. Experiment with those combinations, BRING in hand mortars and rockets.

Dynamo11's Avatar Domesticus

I dunno what it is about full gas mask and helmet combos but I just think they are just sexy

Point of Divergence: Battle of Toba-Fushimi
    This battle tipped the balance in the emperor’s favor, even though many historians say that the Shogunate should have won the battle. This battle resulted in many neutral daimyos declaring their support for the Emperor. It also took away all possibility of a political compromise. The civil war rages on for several years, leaving the Emperors forces taking control of Kyoto and everything west, with the Shogunate controlling the rest. This war is devastating to the economy and agriculture of the country, resulting in the French sending more troops to Japan to try and protect their interests. The Shogunate is pushed back to the walls of Edo, and the resulting siege devastates both sides. With both of their forces pushed to the limit, they are forced to the negotiating table. The emperor was granted far greater authority, but while foreign policy was to be controlled by the emperor, internal politics would be directed by the shogun. One item they did agree on, however, was that the unfair trade policies must be abolished and the foreigners expelled. The Japanese had much foreign equipment to study, and they had already begun to industrialize. They would adopt protectionist policies, however. With the Americans fighting themselves and the French intervening in Mexico, only the British were able to try and intervene, and they were quickly defeated by the combined might of the Shogunate and Imperial forces, with the investment being too insignificant to recuperate via full military invasion. Fast forward 50 years, and the ties of feudalism are still present in Japan, with the ignorance of foreign affairs being common in the Japanese society. All is good, but under mysterious circumstances the heir to the Shogunate is assassinated. Accusations are thrown at the emperor, but there is no solid proof. The stage is set to the Mejin restoration to finally be complete or for the Imperial dynasty to be wiped off the face of the map for good.
    (The reason the samurai still exist is the feudal system is still around, and the Japanese are very paranoid about a new invasion. Mustard gas and the like will be introduced by the outside world, either through Russia, the USA, France, or Great Britain. You can align towards each to get unique units and bonuses as well as aligning towards the traditional fractions)
    Note: This is a very basic outline, I can go into more detail given more time,

Ok i registered specifically because i have to share this with you.

Historically after the Shogunate armies defeat at the hands of the Satsuma lead Imperial army they retreated to Ezo along with a French Advisor and founded the Ezo republic. Historically they petitioned the emperor to be allowed to found a republic and practise Bushido isolated from the rest of Japan and indeed the world. The Emperor said no and the imperial army and navy crushed the remainders of the Shogunate forces.

Now what i propose is a slight tweak to that.

The French provided the Ezo republic with a loan, a loan which they used to rope in the aid of the then expansionist Tsar Alexander the 2nd's Russia, (or nick the 1st depending on which year in the 1860's) who was a rather warlike chap, indeed started the Crimean war. This gives us a realistic and historical basis for the survival of these traditional samurai trends. Anyway the Russians provided naval support against the Imperial fleet allowing the Ezo republic to go unmolested by the Imperial army as they cannot make a landing.

The Emperor recognises the republic of Ezo and signs the peace of Vladivostok, witnessed by representatives of the Tsar, and the English who backed the Emperor in the Boshin War. The Ezo backed by the Russians militarily and the French Financially aid the republic technologically. The French military advisers adopt the best of samurai Bushido learning and fuse it with modern technology creating 'fusion units' Such as those mentioned in earlier posts.

The end result by the dawn of the 20th century is a feudalistic yet modernised independent 'Japanese' state with an axe to grind with the Imperial throne.

When the first world war breaks out in Europe due to the Imperial thrones ties with the british and trade treaties with the US they are pressured into providing support and troops, in return for more lucrative trade and possible colonial gains in territories such as africa, an exciting prospect to a newly industrialised and very energetic nation. Three great fleets are dispatched lead by the heirs to each of the great imperial supporting houses. The Tsu, The Satsuma and the Chosu. This however leaves mainland Japan open and seeing their opportunity the Ezo republic strike launching multiple attacks each headed by one of the three resurgent clans of old Japan, the Date, the Takeda and the Hojo.

A great shadow has fallen over japan and once again war will sweep across the nation. Will the great clans of old have their long awaited revenge, or will the emperor finally stamp out the outdated samurai! You decided, welcome to Shogun 2 Total War: The Ken no fukushū (the revenge of the sword) or 剣の復讐

Let me know what you guys think, ill gladly help out on this one and write up unit and clan backgrounds.

I studied history allot in this kind of period so i can keep it all roughly true to the period, for instance the Russian link is perfectly feasible. They were at the time really pushing for foreign trade links to be forged and also foreign investment, ie in railways etc.

So what do people think?

This looks promising

Last edited by esejony65; April 05, 2012 at 10:15 AM.
    "romanes eunt domus"

HOLY HELL ESENJONY! This is AWESOME! Seeing it is like almost this proposal mod is already coming to fruition.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKailas View Post

Historically after the Shogunate armies defeat at the hands of the Satsuma lead Imperial army they retreated to Ezo along with a French Advisor and founded the Ezo republic. Historically they petitioned the emperor to be allowed to found a republic and practise Bushido isolated from the rest of Japan and indeed the world. The Emperor said no and the imperial army and navy crushed the remainders of the Shogunate forces.

The French provided the Ezo republic with a loan, a loan which they used to rope in the aid of the then expansionist Tsar Alexander the 2nd's Russia, (or nick the 1st depending on which year in the 1860's) who was a rather warlike chap, indeed started the Crimean war. This gives us a realistic and historical basis for the survival of these traditional samurai trends. Anyway the Russians provided naval support against the Imperial fleet allowing the Ezo republic to go unmolested by the Imperial army as they cannot make a landing.

The Emperor recognises the republic of Ezo and signs the peace of Vladivostok, witnessed by representatives of the Tsar, and the English who backed the Emperor in the Boshin War. The Ezo backed by the Russians militarily and the French Financially aid the republic technologically. The French military advisers adopt the best of samurai Bushido learning and fuse it with modern technology creating 'fusion units' Such as those mentioned in earlier posts.

The end result by the dawn of the 20th century is a feudalistic yet modernised independent 'Japanese' state with an axe to grind with the Imperial throne.

When the first world war breaks out in Europe due to the Imperial thrones ties with the british and trade treaties with the US they are pressured into providing support and troops, in return for more lucrative trade and possible colonial gains in territories such as africa, an exciting prospect to a newly industrialised and very energetic nation. Three great fleets are dispatched lead by the heirs to each of the great imperial supporting houses. The Tsu, The Satsuma and the Chosu. This however leaves mainland Japan open and seeing their opportunity the Ezo republic strike launching multiple attacks each headed by one of the three resurgent clans of old Japan, the Date, the Takeda and the Hojo.

A great shadow has fallen over japan and once again war will sweep across the nation. Will the great clans of old have their long awaited revenge, or will the emperor finally stamp out the outdated samurai! You decided, welcome to Shogun 2 Total War: The Ken no fukushū (the revenge of the sword) or 剣の復讐

Let me know what you guys think, ill gladly help out on this one and write up unit and clan backgrounds.

I studied history allot in this kind of period so i can keep it all roughly true to the period, for instance the Russian link is perfectly feasible. They were at the time really pushing for foreign trade links to be forged and also foreign investment, ie in railways etc.

So what do people think?
    Quote Originally Posted by Connor Mulhern View Post
    Point of Divergence: Battle of Toba-Fushimi
    This battle tipped the balance in the emperor’s favor, even though many historians say that the Shogunate should have won the battle. This battle resulted in many neutral daimyos declaring their support for the Emperor. It also took away all possibility of a political compromise. The civil war rages on for several years, leaving the Emperors forces taking control of Kyoto and everything west, with the Shogunate controlling the rest. This war is devastating to the economy and agriculture of the country, resulting in the French sending more troops to Japan to try and protect their interests. The Shogunate is pushed back to the walls of Edo, and the resulting siege devastates both sides. With both of their forces pushed to the limit, they are forced to the negotiating table. The emperor was granted far greater authority, but while foreign policy was to be controlled by the emperor, internal politics would be directed by the shogun. One item they did agree on, however, was that the unfair trade policies must be abolished and the foreigners expelled. The Japanese had much foreign equipment to study, and they had already begun to industrialize. They would adopt protectionist policies, however. With the Americans fighting themselves and the French intervening in Mexico, only the British were able to try and intervene, and they were quickly defeated by the combined might of the Shogunate and Imperial forces, with the investment being too insignificant to recuperate via full military invasion. Fast forward 50 years, and the ties of feudalism are still present in Japan, with the ignorance of foreign affairs being common in the Japanese society. All is good, but under mysterious circumstances the heir to the Shogunate is assassinated. Accusations are thrown at the emperor, but there is no solid proof. The stage is set to the Mejin restoration to finally be complete or for the Imperial dynasty to be wiped off the face of the map for good.
    (The reason the samurai still exist is the feudal system is still around, and the Japanese are very paranoid about a new invasion. Mustard gas and the like will be introduced by the outside world, either through Russia, the USA, France, or Great Britain. You can align towards each to get unique units and bonuses as well as aligning towards the traditional fractions)
    Note: This is a very basic outline, I can go into more detail given more time,
    Quote Originally Posted by LordKailas View Post

So what do people think?
    First. I thank you guys, you've registered here and your very first posts are to contribute in this thread. Lol, its like the thread has compelled long time lurkers to have their own voice as well. As for the scenarios, they are VERY interesting, I was as well of this as part of a proxy war for some great Russo-Anglo rivalry.

Now how it all alternates is a big question, which would make a good entry point for as Connor Mulhern pointed as "point of divergence", the start of the Boshin War, somewhere in between or the Ezo Republic. The scenario as should prevent the event of the disbanding of the feudal society so that samurai in a modern setting still makes sense, so no Meiji restoration or Imperial authority asserted. Its a rough draft, but I like to have more ideas and comments as well.

How about there never was no Boshin war, no Perry or in other words, Japan opened to the world, MUCH later. The dispute now is not whether to accept foreigners or not but WHO to accept. The Russians or the British. It escalates when the Tokugawa clan is split when the foreign powers tried to influence who would be the next shogun. This culminates when a new Shogunate was formed in Kamakura supported by the British and rival one supported by the Russians in Sendai.

Worse, they now style themselves as the Kamakura Shogunate and Tohoku Shogunate respectively, and each invited there foreign backers to set up bases, so that means A RUSSIAN FACTION IN SAPPORO AND A BRITISH FACTION IN TANEGASHIMA.

Samurai feudal society still in place fused with modern guns and OH and the additon of maybe the British WITH BRODIE/JINGASA helmets, since everyone is fussing over it looking brodie, then fine, lets use it as brodie, THEN COLOR IT KHAKI. Russians will get the USMC faces coz of the beards and moustaches.

Half of Japan under the Kamakura Shogunate are fully upgraded with rails, courtesy of the British, so thats some heavy campaign editing to allow that there would already be an extensive train network in Japan, that way, we can fully utilize all this new features from the get go without the researching this and that.

HOLY HELL ESENJONY! This is AWESOME! Seeing it is like almost this proposal mod is already coming to fruition.

First. I thank you guys, you've registered here and your very first posts are to contribute in this thread. Lol, its like the thread has compelled long time lurkers to have their own voice as well. As for the scenarios, they are VERY interesting, I was as well of this as part of a proxy war for some great Russo-Anglo rivalry.

Now how it all alternates is a big question, which would make a good entry point for as Connor Mulhern pointed as "point of divergence", the start of the Boshin War, somewhere in between or the Ezo Republic. The scenario as should prevent the event of the disbanding of the feudal society so that samurai in a modern setting still makes sense, so no Meiji restoration or Imperial authority asserted. Its a rough draft, but I like to have more ideas and comments as well.

How about there never was no Boshin war, no Perry or in other words, Japan opened to the world, MUCH later. The dispute now is not whether to accept foreigners or not but WHO to accept. The Russians or the British. It escalates when the Tokugawa clan is split when the foreign powers tried to influence who would be the next shogun. This culminates when a new Shogunate was formed in Kamakura supported by the British and rival one supported by the Russians in Sendai.

Worse, they now style themselves as the Kamakura Shogunate and Tohoku Shogunate respectively, and each invited there foreign backers to set up bases, so that means A RUSSIAN FACTION IN SAPPORO AND A BRITISH FACTION IN TANEGASHIMA.

Samurai feudal society still in place fused with modern guns and OH and the additon of maybe the British WITH BRODIE/JINGASA helmets, since everyone is fussing over it looking brodie, then fine, lets use it as brodie, THEN COLOR IT KHAKI. Russians will get the USMC faces coz of the beards and moustaches.

Half of Japan under the Kamakura Shogunate are fully upgraded with rails, courtesy of the British, so thats some heavy campaign editing to allow that there would already be an extensive train network in Japan, that way, we can fully utilize all this new features from the get go without the researching this and that.
    I suggest using mine as the base point of divergence, because the other scenario means an almost complete total war between two (or four if you consider the Russians and whatnot) straight out of the box. While they would be feudal, it would not make a ton of sense. My scenario would also allow for independent/neutral factions to work as well. But I suggest using a lot of the ideas. Maybe the British, the French, and the Russians managed to hold onto bases, with the Germans buying it from the Americans. Then a great war breaks breaks out with Russia, the Germans, and Italy fighting Austria- Hungary, the Ottomans, the French, and British. The Germans and Russians support the Shogunate, and the Imperial forces are backed by the French and the British. How about that?

I have no idea how to mod, but here are some of my ideas for what we should to for the factions. Try to keep this as a design philosophy.
    Note: Timeline should be cut in a quarter, but with the same amount of turns. Simply quadruple the amount of turns per year
    Backstory: This takes place in an alternant timeline in the middle of a great war. The whole cause of the Great War is the Austrian ruler dies without an heir, so it is proclaimed a republic. Germany, citing old German Confederation rules, tries to annex both it and Switzerland, causing the war.
    Great Powers
    Think of this like the British in the peninsular campaign in Napoleon. They do not conquer much territory, and will mainly liberate clans with their faction’s allegiance. One side is the Grosevich Pact; these are the Italians, Russians, and Germans. These guys support the Shogunate The Allied powers represent Austria-Hungary France and Great Britain, as well as the Ottomans. They are both very small in numbers, but their units are highly trained and pack a huge punch. They cannot be replenished and must receive reinforcements. All Imperial/Shogunate powers give military access to the respective supporters.
    Advantages: Modern military training, they have the ability to go prone (reduces chance of being hit by a TON). They get access to the best equipment straight off. They can bolster their forces by offering military training (tech) in return for forces. Their units are low upkeep. They receive occasional reinforcements.
    Disadvantages: Cannot gain new territory, if they lose their forces they are screwed. Take winter attrition in enemy territory (Although much lower, maybe one unit per turn) in enemy territory regardless of season. As Japan starts to catch up they become less and less relevant.
    Shogunate: Unlike the last game, both Imperial and Shogunate start off on equal footing. Most of the Samurai support the Shogunate, and they rely on old style levies for bolstering their numbers. The support for the Shogunate is strongest in the east, but expect pockets to emerge all around the country. Russian and German forces bolster their numbers
    Advantages: Access to the higher levels of samurai units, as most sides with the Shogunate. The artillery is the strongest of the Japanese, as they are controlled by highly professional Samurai to operate them. The main idea is to use Samurai as the main damage deals while levies support them
    Disadvantages: Non Samurai units have lower moral due to the support of the feudal system. The conversion rate for provinces is slower as well, with revolts much easier to incite, and much harder to suppress as they expect peasants to work the fields and remain ignorant
    Independent (Republicans): They control the island of Shikoku and they want to remove all imperial influences from Japan. They rely on large numbers to overwhelm the enemy, and base their teaching on that of the ikko ikki. However, as they reject western influences, they will be relatively technologically backwards. They make up for it with pure fanaticism and numbers.
    Advantages: Extremely large numbers, all “rebel” movements result in Independents gaining power. They convert provinces extremely quickly and are hard to convert. It is hard to incite revolts.
    Disadvantages: Lower tech, support for the cause is not widespread, no support from western powers. Can only recruit ronin
    Imperialists: These readily accept western influences, wanting to create a new state of Japan with the power equally split between the emperor and the people. They want to abolish old institutions, but not execute nobility like the Independents do. They rely on conscription, relying on an army of moderate training.
    Advantages: Best starting position, good modern infantry drilling, best tech research rate
    Disadvantages: Little access to specialized units (So they have no hard hitting units, only a general army), with hard caps on samurai. Its embrace of western culture can lead to units defecting to the Republican movement with little warning