Page 1 of 24 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Steampunk/Samurai UPDATED August 17 (with LINK, check OP/got eye candy pics inside as well)

Erwin Rommel's Avatar EYE-PATCH FETISH

Default Steampunk/Samurai UPDATED August 17 (with LINK, check OP/got eye candy pics inside as well)

Hey all. Just updating this post to cite new developments and announce that yes, this idea is getting traction. But we still need help. So dont be afraid to post and express interest as well...........and do rep those people who have contributed ACTUAL content for this.

Not me.

I'm just the idea guy.

If your idea/contribution is not on the 1st page, do inform me.

Latest link as of August 17, 2012. Many thanks to The Black Knight for updating this to current patch standards.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...1#post11879601

1st OP, with concept art. (not mine, credit goes to Greg Broadmore.)
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Right so you've notice the WWI is being thrown around more recently as a nifty mod, citing that with all this FOTS features, it just might be possible, not to mention the brodie jingasa, the rifles, the smoke, the bombardments.

But it will never come to that solely coz the campaign map can never be changed. So some pine there hopes in the WWI being the next contender for the next TW.

But I say. You guys are not thinking creatively enough.

COMBINE SAMURAI AND WORLD WAR I!

Concept art by Greg Broadmore.

More from me. With more eyecandy included.

Quote Originally Posted by Erwin Rommel View Post
    Its kinda a pain not able to reply consistently and take notes of what has been lately posted when my internet has been down for several days. So apologies if my lack of reply is viewed as some sort of abandonment.

Anyway I think late 1890s early 1900s NOT 1910s should be appropriate. (mainly coz of the ironclads the mods would still be using. Cant have HMS Warrior in the 1910s now can we? )

Imperial factions would be renamed to instead of domains, would be like Military districts/regions get some famous Russo-Japanese War vets like Admiral Togo around, rename the Satsuma as Imperial Japanese Navy, or Dai Nippon Kaigun, the Choshu as the Imperial Japanese Army and the Tosa, swapping regions with somewhere near Kyoto and become the Imperial Guard, as for the rest of the Imperial clans, becoming named "military regions" instead of "domains".

I'm just surfing through teh internez and I bear gifts. For the Imperials.

[/QUOTE]

More from me.

Bear with me for awhile for the lack of any reply commenting on this.

(I've been reading more than a dozen wiki articles of any link that connects to the Bakumatsu to Late Meiji in the hopes of making a really convincing backstory. )

In quick summary, Sakamoto Ryouma was not assassinated, Saigo got killed in a disastrous battle in Ueno when Sendai made surprise move to reinforce troops near Edo using the Shogunate fleet instead of sitting around the Bay.

Katsu Kaishu of the Shogunate approached his friend and protege, none other than Sakamoto (those 2 guys relationships is in real life kinda cool,) to broker a truce that would save face for all sides. Sakamoto Ryouma who was now the only person who can influence the 2 main players on the Imperial side, the Satsuma who just lost its figurehead, Saigo, and Choshu who are only it for the toppling of the Tokugawa Clan and not much else.

Lets not forget Sakamoto is a Tosa man and the Tosa are merely interested in how to resolve this as quickly and amicably as possible. The initiative by Katsu Kaishu supported by the nominal head of the Ouetsu Reppan Domei, the Sendai Domain daimyo was just what they need and supported fully Sakamoto's proposal to open negotiations with the Shogunate via Katsu Kaishu. Also the British extended there hand as well and in

Long story short, a deal was made, well more like a compromise that satisfies them only bare minimum with the aim to renegotiate it for the next generation of leaders, lower half will submit directly to the Imperial Court and the Shogunate will retain itself albeit Yoshinobu will retire, become abbot of Ueno (besides, the Tōshō-gū Shrine of his ancestors recieved extensive damage and needs attention.)

The Shogunate will pass to the 6 year old Kamenosuke of the Tayasu-Tokugawa Branch, now Shogun Tokugawa Iesato, with the pacifist Sendai Domain Daimyo, Date Yoshikuni will become regent and guardian to the young Shogun as a guarantee that hardliners on both sides can be reigned in just in time for the next negotiations.

Its still sketchy, and I intend to inflate this backstory with more than a dozen names. Not to mention how to cook up a story involving Otori Keisuke, Hijikata Toshizo, Kondo Isami and others, then fast forward to the 1890s-1900s. Using samurai armor and modern weaponry.

Look at that mofo, Hijikata, modern clothes topped with overcoat with samurai sword.

Yes, I realized I suggested WWI at the beginning being 1910s onwards but we must reconcile that we cant change ship models and artillery models hence this will just be a "steampunk mod" and limited to 1890s and 1900s.

BUT there are added benefits, the entire roster of units and notable individuals participating in the 1st Sino Japanese War and Russo Japanese war are ours to utilize. Hence we can have ADMIRAL TOGO as head of the Nippon Kaigun (Satsuma domain renamed). Hence we wont be cooking up fictitious names just to fill in all the domain slots. But real Meiji Era or early Taisho era individuals.

(Besides I prefer it that way. )

weirdoascensor

Quote Originally Posted by weirdoascensor View Post
    ...If my memory serves me right, I've posted unit suggestions at The First Page...

Well, maybe i'll make some units for this mod...Don't know if I'll have the time for it though...

I'll repeat it again: We Need Skinners.

My Plans (if i gonna work it anyway):

Teikoku Rikugun & Kaigun Land Units

Conscripts (Basic)
    Sailor Garrison (Naval Base Garrison)
    Rikugun Juukihei (Main Infantry, Well Trained and Highly Motivated)
    Kaigun Rikusentai (Marines)
    Rikugun & SNLF Trenchgun Stormtroopers (Assault Inf, Shotguns)
    Teishin Shudan (Spec Ops)
    Rikugun Mounted Rifles
    Kempeitai & Tokketai (Buff & Repression Support)
    Tekidanto Squad (Grenade Dischargers)
    Dokuritsu Kohei (Combat Engineers with Flamethrowers - Theoretically possible, need someone expert on effects modding. No Model)

Ezo Units - Only Recruitable at Ezo (Need Skinner for Faces and Uniforms)

Ezo Hunters (Garrison)
    Ezo Rifles (Light Infantry)
    Ezo Mounted Rangers

Samurai Units

Ashigaru Volunteer Rifles (Basic Inf - The Concept of Ashigaru itself in Modern Army or Society makes no sense, but since this mod is made to invoke Historical Japanese Warfare feelings, they'll be portrayed as Volunteers wearing Steel Lampshade Jingasa Helmets reminiscent of Sengoku Jidai Ashigaru)
    91st Ashigaru Light Foot (Elite Ashigaru Light Infantry - Represents the Ascent of ashigaru into the ranks of the Samurai during the Sengoku Jidai)

Samurai Rifle Guards (Elite Inf - Even though they masters Teppojutsu, they're not too keen on the idea of Coverage...)
    SNLF Samurai Marines (Assault Inf - Marines is a perfect branch for Samurai, they'll volunteer themselves to storm the most defended beaches...)
    Samurai Stormtroopers (Assault Inf - Shotguns do not fit a Samurai, and currently i have no idea how to make SMG, ...so they trained in Pistol Iaijutsu, Niten Style)
    Samurai Cuirassiers
    68th Elite Samurai Legion of The Banner (Hero - The Concept of hero with its own Entourage do not fit into Modern Warfare - They are more of an Decorated Elite Unit, Veterans of The Battle of [insert battle here] - may need more suggestion on the name...)

Sohei Units - (It is quite inconceivable how temples could have a standing army apart of the national army in the modern age...unless it is an local guerilla force or, As a Ministry that held significant Power in the Goverment, and uses religious zeal to indoctrinate an army of itself)

Ikko Ikki Fanatics (Armed Fanatics - No Skills whatsoever but have Suicidal Morale)
    Disciple Rifles (Main Inf, not as good as regulars, but more religiously indoctrinated)
    Yamabushi Mountain Rifles (Light Inf - Excellent Conditioning with great stamina. They are not indoctrinated...they are far more level-headed, having reached harmony with the Mountain and the Teppo...)
    Sohei Temple Guards (Elite Inf & Support - Leads another Sohei units. Religious Zealots, but realize that Fanatical Screaming do not win battles; Mastery of Teppojutsu, Juukenjutsu and Coordination will.)
    78th Sohei Guardians of The Pure Land (Hero & Support)

Joshigun Units - Need Skinners for their faces. Replace the makeup with warpaint...Need more background ideas...

Joshigun Resistance (Guerilla Garrison)
    Joshigun Homeland Guard (Main Inf)
    Joshigun Mounted Raiders
    Joshigun Sogkihei (Sharpshooters)
    47th "Tomoe Gozen" Heroine of The Restoration Guards (Hero & Support)

Shinobi Units - Ninjutsu itself not restricted into any classes, so any spec ops units could be ninja units.

Partisans (The Ninjutsu itself first born amongst the Iga and Koga guerillas)
    Oniwaban Kishu Infiltrators (Dual-pistol armed)
    Shinobi Sogekihei (Marksman Squad)
    Shinobi Kishu Tekidanto Squad (Infiltration Fire Support)
    Shinobi Shinigami Sniper Aces (Hero Snipers - Only 4 man per unit, but has Superb accuracy, High damage, and Very Long Range.)

Let me reiterate this again: We Need Skinners

Why Would We Need Skinners? For Unit Insignias, Markings, Arts, and Camoflage.

For Instance Army Star or Navy Anchor on Hats and Helmets. Rank badges on collars and shoulders. The Infamous Armbands of the Kempeitai. Ainu-patterned sheets. Joshigun Makeup removal. Warpaint application. Canvas coverings on Helmets and Breastplates. Japanese Paintings on Samurai Armor - Samurai loves to stand out...

...Talking about Standing out and get shot, Camoflage. Clever use of textures and alpha channel to transform shaguma and jinbaori into ghillie suit. Of Course, Gaudy Colorful Samurai Armors that screams Shoot Me do need an adaptation to the modern world, through Camo Pattern. Sure, it is a camo pattern, but the wearers of those particular camo are known to be feared...

Well, Im not known or used to make infantry or cavalry units, but these units are what i thought possible for now...

Oh, Do not forget that TEd release date is closing...

More from weirdoascensor WITH ACTUAL UNIT CONCEPTS NOW APPLIED INGAME (not final though.)

Some Units:
    Ashigaru Volunteer Rifles.
    "Heroes would not be Heroes without the support of the unsung ones"

91st "Hashiba" Ashigaru Foot Rifles
    "What made a Bushi, Is not his mere Ancestry. Its how he follows The Bushido."

Samurai Pistol Stormtroopers
    "Only The Fastest Guns of The Rising Sun would Last Standing at High Noon."

S.N.L.F. Rikusentai Samurai Marines
    "The Higher The Cliff before the tide, The Harder The Wave would struck."

68th Samurai Legion of The Banner
    "Bushido and Teppojutsu. Together in Harmony. Paving The Way."

More..with LINK ON BETA! (Yes I like caps on to emphasize.)

Heres the completed units. Stats were still not properly balanced and still no unitcards.

Well, you could always integrate them...
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/attac...2&d=1337699561

From hochmeister devin.... with INGAME PICTURES.

Now with beta LINKS from hochmeister

Quote Originally Posted by hochmeister devin View Post
    Patch 0.52 Is live.

To install just unzip and then put the file into your shogun 2 data folder located at:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steam\games\chris\bob\SteamApps\common\total war shogun 2\data

Then put the User.Script into your scripts folder located at:
    C:\Users\Alan\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Shogun2\scripts

Changelog
    -Got rid of the last vanilla units
    -General Hatamoto can now use there guns
    -Added russian troops at french port
    -fixed scouts color uniforms
    -fixed not being able to recruit cavalry
    -increased interception radius for ships and land units by 3 (land units from 3 to 6 naval units from 6 to 9)
    -Realm divided now triggers earlier (Remember the campaign map hasnt been changed yet, so it will make snese when its done)

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...1#post11531311
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...8#post11539148
    Last edited by Erwin Rommel; August 16, 2012 at 06:07 PM.

(Its clickable by the way....An S2 overhaul mod.)

Seriously. Click it. Its the only overhaul mod that's overhauling enough to bring out NEW clans
    Masaie. Retainer of Akaie|AntonIII

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

Default Re: World War I and Shogun II ....(got eye candy pics inside)

I think this would be cool for a faction in a steampunk-type mod.

Like I said, we need more fantasy mods.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

No.

Overhaul. Think elaborate, like Japan opened its doors only in 1914 or something, and besides, its a good excuse for me to pitch in a mod idea of samurai wielding rifles instead of matchlocks.

Seriously. Click it. Its the only overhaul mod that's overhauling enough to bring out NEW clans

Remember seeing these on some mount & blade forum ages ago ^^ They are awesome!
    He who fears being conquered is sure of defeat - Napoleon Bonaparte

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

@Erwin: That too, which would be a fantasy mod.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

Forgot to add this..

This just makes me want Steam punk: Total War

Global Steam punk conflict...

Also, Erwin, those pictures are freaking awesome. Samurai with gas masks... I think that's what god originally intended when he made man
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Brian de Bois-Guilbert View Post
    the Church has only improved mankind in history

For this there are words, but none that abide by the ToS.

Oh i remenber this images, they were from http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=235863
    "romanes eunt domus"

Erwin Rommel Imagine a Date Masamune with Sengoku Basara powers in WWI.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
    This just makes me want Steam punk: Total War

Global Steam punk conflict...

Also, Erwin, those pictures are freaking awesome. Samurai with gas masks... I think that's what god originally intended when he made man
    Mempo masks with goggles. Oh the awesomness.

But seriously. World War I-esque combined with SAMURAI is not only doable but also goddam awesome. All we need now is a nice background story to tie all this together.

Rommel, if this is what the Sekigahara team works on next...

I WILL DOWNLOAD THE OUT OF THAT!!
    If you rep me, leave your name. I'll look more kindly on your future transgressions.

Quote Originally Posted by The Juggernaut View Post
    Rommel, if this is what the Sekigahara team works on next...

I WILL DOWNLOAD THE OUT OF THAT!!
    No, currently, Anton is busy making the Seki work alongside with the current patch.

IMAGINE! 40 something unit battles.....USING SEKIGAHARA MOD!

Default Re: World War I and Shogun II .... a mod idea (got eye candy pics inside)

We should get a uber-unit size into Sekigahara. I want to play 50,000 men vs. 50,000 men.

..or replicate Tenno-ji where a heavily modded Yukimura ploughs through the Tokugawa army at the head of a unit of invincible battle ninja

..alternatively we give the Masamune unit charge of 100
    Last edited by Robin de Bodemloze; March 30, 2012 at 07:51 AM.
    The Wings of Destiny - A FotS AAR (Chapter 12 - Updated Apr 24)
    Takeda - a Shogun 2 AAR (Completed) Reviewed by Radzeer

My writing | My art | About me | Sekigahara Campaign - Developer

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

Indefinitely Banned
    The western part of an Island They thought a kind of Coffee...

Default Re: World War I and Shogun II .... a mod idea (got eye candy pics inside)

Right so you've notice the WWI is being thrown around more recently as a nifty mod, citing that with all this FOTS features, it just might be possible, not to mention the brodie jingasa, the rifles, the smoke, the bombardments.

But it will never come to that solely coz the campaign map can never be changed. So some pine there hopes in the WWI being the next contender for the next TW.

But I say. You guys are not thinking creatively enough.

COMBINE SAMURAI AND WORLD WAR I!

Concept art by Greg Broadmore.

ROMMEL! DO YOU REALIZE THIS? WE ACTUALLY COULD MAKE A PRECURSOR MOD OF THIS IN FOTS!

Imagine...if the Samurai took The Foreign Technology...and apply it into the Bushido!
    The Fusion of Old and New...

Some Examples:
    1. Samurai Line Guards
    The Frontline Backbone of the Rikugun
    just mod line infantry with functional, simple kabuto...makes sense, considering the increasing fatality caused by shrapnel.

2.Samurai Kotetsu Stormtroopers
    The Emperor's Armored Fist
    Assault Samurai, wearing gritty-feldgrau Steel Armor, known for their fearsome banzai charges against trenches with Katana and Repeater Shotgun in their hands...
    just simple retextures, unitvariant tweak, and new warscape_theme with new projectiles

3. Samurai Tekidanto Grenadiers
    They support the advance using their barricade busting grenade dischargers... no trench is really safe from their fury...

4. Shinobi Kishu Pistoleers
    retextures to camo uniforms should suffice

5.Shinobi Shinigami Snipers
    The Unseen Harbinger of Death. Could be armed by Chassepots or Special Kunitomo Air Rifles

6.Teppojutsu Masters
    Modern Gun Kata Mastery...Through Traditional Bushido Lifetime of Practice

...AND THOSE WERE JUST THE EXAMPLES! ALL OF IT WITHIN POSSIBILITY!
    Last edited by weirdoascensor; March 30, 2012 at 08:15 AM.

ROMMEL! DO YOU REALIZE THIS? WE ACTUALLY COULD MAKE A PRECURSOR MOD OF THIS IN FOTS!

Imagine...if the Samurai took The Foreign Technology...and apply it into the Bushido!
    The Fusion of Old and New...

Some Examples:
    1. Samurai Line Guards
    The Frontline Backbone of the Rikugun
    just mod line infantry with functional, simple kabuto...makes sense, considering the increasing fatality caused by shrapnel.

2.Samurai Kotetsu Stormtroopers
    The Emperor's Armored Fist
    Assault Samurai, wearing gritty-feldgrau Steel Armor, known for their fearsome banzai charges against trenches with Katana and Repeater Shotgun in their hands...
    just simple retextures, unitvariant tweak, and new warscape_theme with new projectiles

3. Samurai Tekidanto Grenadiers
    They support the advance using their barricade busting grenade dischargers... no trench is really safe from their fury...

4. Shinobi Kishu Pistoleers
    retextures to camo uniforms should suffice

5.Shinobi Shinigami Snipers
    The Unseen Harbinger of Death. Could be armed by Chassepots or Special Kunitomo Air Rifles

6.Teppojutsu Masters

...AND THOSE WERE JUST THE EXAMPLES!
    HOLEY ! Brilliant naming and unit concepts. But lets put the excitement down a notch, otherwise Sekigahara development would take a hit.

We must have scholars that will migrate to the TGW forums and learn there ways and strengthen our positions. Just like what the Intro Narrator said.

Damn those pics are awesome!

And come to think of it, FOTS samurai with modern rifles sounds perfect for some creative mod!

Though, imo, the flags on the backs of the samurai are too obvious for a WW1 scenario. remove them and it's perfect!

Something like deadliest warrior where you have "whatever" fighting "whatever" could be kind of awsome.

Sir Furlong's Avatar Ordinarius

This looks kinda freakin' amazing.

Indefinitely Banned
    The western part of an Island They thought a kind of Coffee...

Land Atakabune aside (aand the world setting...)...it seems pretty moddable

All we need is catchy name and a background story.

Page 1 of 24 1234567891011 ... LastLast