Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Next TW: American Civil War?

Darth VeX's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: Next TW: American Civil War?

I love how these threads always boil down to the argument over whether Asian / European TW fans would even be interested in ACW ... when (other than Empire) every other TW title has either been European or Asian in setting but still sold very well in the US. Maybe Europe and Asia just need to broaden their horizons a bit ...

---

Moving on to a less boring conversation ...

I like the idea of the South being more like FotS with multiple clans (States) with an alignment towards the Confederacy ... but I think if the game were to be even SEMI-historically accurate, a (clan) State with an alignment to the North would have to actually give up it's sovereignty--essentially the North would be a single multi-province country. Whereas the South would only be a group of (clans) States with an alignment towards the Confederacy.

BUT ... like FotS, you could have agents that would go into the border states and begin causing anti-North sentiments, changing alignment, and get states to either full-out secede from the Union, or possibly join your own cause, expanding your Southern state's holdings.

Fighting a campaign as Virginia or Tennessee = Cool.
    Fighting a campaign as New York while the rest of the North acts independently = Stupid.

I would like to see one set around either ancient greece or ancient egypt.

I'd be rather excited to see an ACW game, however I completely understand the point of view of those would not. I would be more than satisfied to see it as an expansion to a Victorian era TW.

As much as I love our dear old B&G mod for Empire, I would love to see maps of such fields as Shiloh, Chattanooga (Lookout Mountain in particular), and Chancellorsville.

I'm Hoping to see this sooner rather than later.
    Last edited by Good ole Reb; March 30, 2012 at 05:04 PM.
    Your reality sir, is lies and balderdash, and I'm happy to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever!

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Good ole Reb View Post
    I'd be rather excited to see an ACW game, however I completely understand the point of view of those would not. I would be more than satisfied to see it as an expansion to a Victorian era TW.

As much as I love our dear old B&G mod for Empire, I would love to see maps of such fields as Shilo, Chattanooga (Lookout Mountain in particular), and Chancellorsville.

I'm Hoping to see this sooner rather than later.

Exactly. Iwould much prefer a Victoria type game, with most of the world.

But, I would still love an ACW game, regardless.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

So many threads about this. I personally would NOT like to see ACW as a standalone game, as I am not at all interested in that paticular part of history. A Victoria TW would be better with ACW as an expansion or something.

Oda, A Rise from the Ashes of Obscurity (S2).

alexanderswift's Avatar Senator

Oh god, please no more civil wars. I get that the American Civil War was important and bloody and whatever but just not another civil war.

I mean we've just had one game + an expansion + another expansion that was fairly huge about civil wars and has no one else noticed how boring they are? We need more diversity! Varying settings, different styles of combat... More than one culture at least?

I would probably buy an ACW expansion but as a stand alone game? Hell no. We need scope! Its hardly a total war with one bloody nation involved.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sphere View Post
    Don't try and kill my internet joy.

It is all I have.

Quote Originally Posted by alexanderswift View Post
    Oh god, please no more civil wars. I get that the American Civil War was important and bloody and whatever but just not another civil war.

I mean we've just had one game + an expansion + another expansion that was fairly huge about civil wars and has no one else noticed how boring they are? We need more diversity! Varying settings, different styles of combat... More than one culture at least?

I would probably buy an ACW expansion but as a stand alone game? Hell no. We need scope! Its hardly a total war with one bloody nation involved.

I completely and utterly agree.

Oda, A Rise from the Ashes of Obscurity (S2).

The American Civil war is way to unappealing for the world market - to thin. Victorian era is way more likely, seeing how it included the whole world, I mean even nations like India had an important roll during this time. And of course they'll make a game which got the best outlook of making the most money, anything else (like the ACW) would be stupid. I believe the Total War series to be more popular in Europe then the US so that's that

i would like to see the ACW but as a part of a kingdoms campaign expansion for victoria total war, so like one grand campaign over several continents and a couple small campaigns like in Napoleon and kingdoms of wars like ACW and the crimean war and the Franco-Prussia war, i know that would be a massive project but i would love that

themoob's Avatar Centenarius

Everyone complains about unit variety, then wants the US Civil War? Snoreeee.

Although CA will probably make it, as Americans go "AMERICA... YEAH!" and buy the game for whatever CA ask for, and claim its the greatest game ever made, regardless of how crap it is. Because AMERICA... YEAH!

Newsflash... the USA isn't the centre of the world, and your history is boring.

Please Rome 2!

Chopy's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by themoob View Post
    Everyone complains about unit variety, then wants the US Civil War? Snoreeee.

Although CA will probably make it, as Americans go "AMERICA... YEAH!" and buy the game for whatever CA ask for, and claim its the greatest game ever made, regardless of how crap it is. Because AMERICA... YEAH!

Newsflash... the USA isn't the centre of the world, and your history is boring.

Please Rome 2!
    There is really no need to stereotype in order to offend someone.Also USA history may aswell be interesting to some.

As an American, the ACW is just too linear to be its own title out right. It would have to be Victoria Era TW like others have said. Linear TW's just don't feel right and lack the epic scope (like Napoleon).

Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Chopy View Post
    I believe there is more of those.

But to stay on topic NO GOD PLEASE , NO !!!! ACW would be limited to 2 factions , limited scale , too similar to Empire.I bet majority would hate ACW.For one that would be first Total War game i wouldn't buy.
    Give me back ROME or at least Victoria.

Nope, you could just split it up, so you play as a state.

I think with the new FOTS stuff it would be cool, but i would like Mexico and British North America to be included atleast. Maybe just the entire American continent. Taking all of North America as Venezuela would be bad ass.

Shabby_Ronin's Avatar Primicerius

Rome...I don't understand this fascination with the Civil War, "Victoria", WW1 or episodic/small timeline stuff in general...firearms in particular. Rome was released in 2004, it's time they did the time period properly. I'm also getting bored to death of the gunpowder era.
    "...I'll look for something else. We're surrounded by water. Why are we eating knob?"

Hresvelgr's Avatar Campidoctor

China, because Rome's been done yet China is a gold mine that's not been tapped yet for reasons unknown, as it has an exotic factor, wide diversity, and a schizo-mix of technology that would allow for traditional battles fans of Medieval and Rome would look for yet also some later technology like gunpowder, rockets, mines, grenades, and flamethrowers that make the game exciting. Seriously, it's bizarre how they haven't touched on China yet at all.

As far as an ACW Total War goes, I don't think making states their own factions is really a good idea. It would be a very poor way of representing how the times were and wouldn't even make any logical sense. They could have outsiders like Britain, France, Spain, and even Russia, and also 3 Mexican factions representing the civil war going on there as well. There was also a huge war between 4 South American countries going on at this time, second-largest war in the Americas' history after the American Civil War, not a pleasant decade but an interesting one to be sure.
    Last edited by Hresvelgr; March 30, 2012 at 09:00 PM.
    I'm not crazy, I'm the only one who's not crazy!

It wouldn't sell well in the West...and I don't think Asians really play these kinds of games...well at least in Korea and Japan.
    "...I'll look for something else. We're surrounded by water. Why are we eating knob?"

Quote Originally Posted by Shabby_Ronin View Post
    It wouldn't sell well in the West...and I don't think Asians really play these kinds of games...well at least in Korea and Japan.
    Shogun did pretty well, the general public isn't really that choosy or Eurocentric. Especially considering Americans form a pretty large demographic and yet we've been willing to buy 5 TW games about Europe and another 2 about Japan.

It sold well because of samurai and ninjas and all the action movie crap about it that we have watched growing up. A China game would not sell well. Yes, it is Eurocentric.

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Hresvelgr View Post
    China, because Rome's been done yet China is a gold mine that's not been tapped yet for reasons unknown, as it has an exotic factor, wide diversity, and a schizo-mix of technology that would allow for traditional battles fans of Medieval and Rome would look for yet also some later technology like gunpowder, rockets, mines, grenades, and flamethrowers that make the game exciting. Seriously, it's bizarre how they haven't touched on China yet at all.

As far as an ACW Total War goes, I don't think making states their own factions is really a good idea. It would be a very poor way of representing how the times were and wouldn't even make any logical sense. They could have outsiders like Britain, France, Spain, and even Russia, and also 3 Mexican factions representing the civil war going on there as well. There was also a huge war between 4 South American countries going on at this time, second-largest war in the Americas' history after the American Civil War, not a pleasant decade but an interesting one to be sure.
    Actually, as has been said, it's for political reasons. SEGA is a Japanese country, and they don't want to mess with that kind of stuff.

From what I understand anyway.

Stupid, I know.

Also, I would love a game about China. I know nearly nothing about it, but I would learn.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

Quote Originally Posted by Shabby_Ronin View Post
    It sold well because of samurai and ninjas and all the action movie crap about it that we have watched growing up. A China game would not sell well. Yes, it is Eurocentric.
    You say that as if nobody ever watches kungfu or wuxia movies at all. In any case, it's at least a better idea than having an ACW game where you play as states, in that a China Total War would avoid the dreadful faction colors that were gone in Napoleon only to return in Shogun 2. Can you imagine playing a Civil War game where instead of the Blue vs Gray it's the purple-coated Massachusetts army desecrating Connecticut and stomping all over their yellow-coated bodies?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast