Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do You Care About Your Troops?

Krieglord's Avatar Primicerius

Default Do You Care About Your Troops?

Bit of an odd question but it just popped into my head

Do you care about your troops? do you use them as cannon fodder or use them carefully so as to prevent casualties.

If you take huge casualties do you care about the losses ?

Personally for me I can sum it up in the words of Longshanks from Braveheart

"Arrows cost money send in the Irish their deaths cost nothing"
    Last edited by Krieglord; February 27, 2012 at 04:22 PM.

Oxode's Avatar Tiro
    Mississauga,Ontario,Canada,North America,Atmosphere,Earth,Milky Way Galaxy

Default Re: Do You Care About Your Troops?

When I lose a Fully Upgraded unit, I cry.

Quote Originally Posted by Kreiglord View Post
    Bit of an odd question but it just popped into my head

Do you care about your troops? do you use them as cannon fodder or use them carefully so as to prevent casualties.

If you take huge casualties do you care about the losses ?

Personally for me I can sum it up in the words of Longshanks from Braveheart

"Arrows cost money send in the Irish their deaths cost nothing"
    Depending on the mod you play and how far you are into the game...YES!

If I rescue troops or buy mercenaries I always put them on the top and when I play sieges I try to put the worst troops on top as well.

I do care. Quite a bit actually. If we're getting butchered I start to feel terrible. If cavalry are chasing each other around and I see one of my men in trouble I help. If I'm on foot and one of my men looks hard pressed I step in the way. If a bad command costs me men I feel bad.
    Especially in mods where elite troops are a huge investment. In native I don't mind it so much because they're so easy to mass produce. In PoP it drives me nuts to see one of my Order knights die.

If they are elite units I do care.....but other than that I really don't....

As far as I'm concerned they knew what they signed up for...

Claudius Gothicus's Avatar Petit Burgués

I hate butcheries, even in some cases I'm disturbed by the fact that some battles might eliminate a great deal of elite troops on both sides(mine and the enemy's, in particular with Swadians or Mamelukes... I hate the fact that the military situation goes back to pitchforks and rocks), I deeply regret every Vaegir Guard or Nord Huscarl that I lose, especially when it's due to my mismanagment of sieges or the front line.

And that's why I always try to keep a good surgeon like Ymira or Jeremus around. They save a lot of lives, those lives are time and money invested.

Under the Patronage of
    Maximinus Thrax

Ulyaoth's Avatar Truly a God Amongst Men

Only really about elites, and others only in the effect that I need them to continue a campaign. When I was playing lately my about 80 man army of mostly Rhodok Crossbowman and mixed Swadian and Rhodok sergeants and a small core of Knights to follow me around, and fought off a swarm of Sarranids, like 5 generals with around 150 men each. I massacred them basically by just turtling on a hill and cutting them down with bolts then charging down with my knights. I tried taking prisoners but then a sergeant was killed, the first fatality on my side, so I ordered everyone to charge the small band of surviving enemies and massacre them.
    I'm cold, and there are wolves after me.

Under the Patronage of the Almighty Justinian

Psychonaut's Avatar Domesticus

I only care when the top tier units die.

Mere peasants, on the other hand...

Same here. Peasants and all the lowly units can be easily replaced and they don't add any real strength to your army, anyway. Elite units are a completely different thing - losing even one of them is something I try to prevent however I can.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

I care because I only use elite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

I don't care how many men I lose as long as the enemy loses more.

No, I don't consider it an evil thing either, as the sooner I win the war, the less people are going to die overral xD
    Last edited by SinerAthin; March 01, 2012 at 02:40 AM.
    "He who wishes to be the best for his people, must do that which is necessary - and be willing to go to hell for it."

Let the Preservation, Advancement and Evolution of Mankind be our Greater Good.

And NO, my avatar is the coat of arms from the Teutonic Knightly Order because they're awesome.

That kind of thinking can easily lead to a Pyrrhic Victory, though. You win the battle, but your losses are so high that you lose the war after that.

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Kamos View Post
    I do care. Quite a bit actually. If we're getting butchered I start to feel terrible. If cavalry are chasing each other around and I see one of my men in trouble I help. If I'm on foot and one of my men looks hard pressed I step in the way. If a bad command costs me men I feel bad.
    Especially in mods where elite troops are a huge investment. In native I don't mind it so much because they're so easy to mass produce. In PoP it drives me nuts to see one of my Order knights die.
    I play the same way as Kamos. I try to preserve as many of my troops as I can, no matter what they are. Even peasant archers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tankfriend View Post
    That kind of thinking can easily lead to a Pyrrhic Victory, though. You win the battle, but your losses are so high that you lose the war after that.

Only if you suck at math and think 1+1=3 xD

Actually, you remind me of when I was playing Maratha in Empire Total War.

I used India's bountiful population to drown my enemies' expensive units in endless heaps of peasants as my proffessional soldiers & heavy guns just murdered enemy & my useless cannonfodder alike!

I had a small elite army but those were all I cared about. The dying I left to my endless peasant hordes ^^

That's what I call 'ecenomical warfare'!
    Last edited by SinerAthin; March 01, 2012 at 07:46 AM.
    "He who wishes to be the best for his people, must do that which is necessary - and be willing to go to hell for it."

And NO, my avatar is the coat of arms from the Teutonic Knightly Order because they're awesome.

That's an example from a completely different game from a series that's known for its - at times - ridiculous mechanics and eternally AI, though.

DarthLazy's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I play 1257 AD with lance recruitment, factional troops are hard to come by, and I seperate them from mercenaries, if there is risk of mah elite cavalry dying , I will tell them to retreat and solo it .
    Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
    Real imperialism is shown by Western apologists who are defending Ukraine's brutal occupation of Novorossija.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
    Sovereignty of Ukraine was recognized by Yeltsin and died with him.

Indeed it is, but cannonfodder is still cannonfodder

But anyhow, back on topic: not wanting to sacrifice your troops is good, but too much of that can cause you to fail objectives & lead to actually more deaths on your side due to prolounged fighting.

The trick is to know when you need to sacrifice your men, but know not to waste anymore than you absolutely need to

Krieglord's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by SinerAthin View Post
    Indeed it is, but cannonfodder is still cannonfodder

But anyhow, back on topic: not wanting to sacrifice your troops is good, but too much of that can cause you to fail objectives & lead to actually more deaths on your side due to prolounged fighting.

The trick is to know when you need to sacrifice your men, but know not to waste anymore than you absolutely need to

I agree

Personally for me anything but my elite cavalry is considered expendable

Quote Originally Posted by Kreiglord View Post
    I agree

Personally for me anything but my elite cavalry is considered expendable

Even your elite cavalry is expendable when the prize is big enough

Speaking of elite units if I lose too many sometimes I'll load up a save before the battle! Hoping I won't lose as many at least.

I also HATE it when I die and my troops have to fight without me HUGE unnecessary losses!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast